• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famicom Mini: NOT DEAD YET

john tv

I don't think Dragon Quest will ever happen but hey, you never know. The Famicom version is practically unplayable nowadays.

First-party-wise, here's what's left that I wouldn't mind seeing:

- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (or just regular Punch-Out!!, though it was never released in Japan)
- Famicom Wars
- Fire Emblem
- Fire Emblem Gaiden
- Mario Open Golf
- Joy Mecha Fight
- Nakayama Miho's Tokimeki High School
- Pinball
- Donkey Kong Jr.
- Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race
- Ice Hockey
- Pro Wrestling

There's a few others, of course, but I dunno. Nothing really major. They could go crazy with all the killer third-party games though.

Would be cool if they did a "Overseas Titles" lineup or something. I'd kill for RC Pro Am and StarTropics, among others, heheh.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
They seem to be sort of releasing these games chronologically so I can see these getting released in series 4 or 5 pretty easily:

Donkey Kong Jr.
Ice Hockey
Kung Fu
Punch-Out!!
Pinball
Pro Wrestling
Rad Racer (they didn't already release this did they?)

I would also like to see these released in the next couple series:

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Megaman
Megaman 2
Ninja Gaiden
TMNT
Contra

And down the line I want:

Megaman 3
Megaman 4
Megaman 5
Megaman 6
Ducktales (woo-ooo!)
Ducktales 2
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Little Nemo
Star Tropics
Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics 2
TMNT 2
TMNT 3
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Super C
Guerilla War
Tecmo Bowl

belgurdo

Banned
If FE and FEGaiden are in Series 4, Nintendo has no excuse to not release them here as Golden Sun and Advance wars has proven that S/RPGscan sell here

Link316

Banned
I wish they would stop doing this and remake the old black & white GameBoy games in color instead, like Mario Land 1&2, Metroid 2, etc

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
I wish they would stop doing this and remake the old black & white GameBoy games in color instead, like Mario Land 1&2, Metroid 2, etc
Oh me too! Actually, I wouldn't mind if games like Link's Awakening or Super Mario Land 2 got full on GBA remakes (like Sword of Mana or Metroid Zero Mission).

jarrod

Banned
Sega should maybe consider doing a Sega Ages line for GBA... I'd imagine classic arcade games like Zaxxon, WonderBoy or Quartet would pretty easy to emulate on GBA. And there's alwasy tons of Mark series/Master System/Game Gear games too.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'd like to see several GB games get the Metroid Zero Mission/Super Mario Advance style treatment myself. :)

I did buy Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2 (aka Lost Levels) for the GBA, but for NES games, I use this now:

zodiac_prodshot.jpg

It was pricey, but I get NES, Master System, Game Gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Atari ST, SCUMM, and TG-16/PCE emulation among others, plus you can watch movies and play MP3s. There's another emulator that runs most SNES and Genesis games really well, but it's not licensed yet, so only developers can get it. :( I do have an older Genesis emu that works well without sound though. The only actual Zodiac game worth buying is Doom II; everything else is pure crap.

Someone tell Nintendo or Capcom or whoever that if they release Ducktales, they will make mad $$$$$$. Hell, everyday on these boards at least 20 people mention how much they loved that game.

Crystalis (non mutilated version), Lolo 1-3, Guradian Legend, Battle of Olympus:

These are games that I would happily buy individually (even though I still own Lolo 1) but are not likely to ever see Nes Classics/ Famicom Mini release.

I would also love Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem Gaiden( both in english), Castlevania 3 (preferably the superior Japanese version translated), Startropics (1&2), and almost any of the Disney games (of course the way the Classics/Mini series has been going, we would probably only get Mickey Mousecapades if we ever got any).

Not that I expect any of these games to see the light of day again (I bet Nintendo was just taunting us by putting Lolo in the Nes Classics poll.)

jarrod

Banned
With the Disney games though, there might be some difficulty with getting the copyrights for rerelease... it might not be worth it.

cvxfreak

I doubt Fire Emblem or Gaiden would ever make it here. It might be too confusing in terms of naming the first one, and The Lost Levels won't be released either even though it would sell bucketloads.

cvxfreak

trippingmartian said:
I would not be opposed to this. Ports of Actraiser, Earthbound, Final Fantasy VI, Shadowrun, Illusion of Gaia, and Vegas Stakes would collectively make me a penniless schmuck.

Also known as half the GBA lineup. :p

Memles

I'd be interested in seeing Famicom Wars, but it likely won't happen considering the AW titles weren't released in Japan.

AniHawk

jarrod said:
Sega should maybe consider doing a Sega Ages line for GBA... I'd imagine classic arcade games like Zaxxon, WonderBoy or Quartet would pretty easy to emulate on GBA. And there's alwasy tons of Mark series/Master System/Game Gear games too.

Link's Awakening remake like how Zero Mission was =
homer_drool.gif

john tv

Kobun Heat said:
OH WELL HELLO MISTER 'THEY WON'T MAKE ANY MORE FAMICOM MINIS.' WHO IS LAUGHING NOW.
I never said they wouldn't make anymore! It was your precious Nintendo who said that series 3 was it! (They also said it for series 1, too, FWIW.)

I did say they won't do Dragon Quest though. :)

I would never get a famicom mini style Dragon Quest, but I might get one that is enhanced over the SNES version and is similarly packed in with DQ2. I enjoyed the NES version of Dragon Warrior, but I couldn't stand it afer playing some more RPGs.

Maybe Square Enix will start GBA Dragon Quest remakes on par with Final Fantasy 1&2. Of course, I would expect them soon enough in Japan, but a US showing might be too much to hope for if they ever happen (at least before DW8).

cvxfreak

I honestly don't expect Square Enix to jump on board the Famicom Mini line, ever, because they'd rather remake their games. Although, things ARE working out for Nintendo by releasing Metroid even though it was already remade as Zero Mission. Another example is Mario Bros. Classic.

If anything, I'm surprised Capcom hasn't jumped on board. I can see them providing Rockman 1 and 2 for Series 4, and if there's a Series 5, Rockman 3 and 4.

Jonnyram

FF I & II seems to be lasting quite well. Is it performing better than the PS1 versions?

Nintendo said they would not make a second series, and after they made the second series, they said the third would be the last. Presumably, they thought sales of the third series would suck, but when they saw people buy even the most obscure titles, they thought they are onto a good thing. They have said now that they can't see this going on forever, though, that someday the series will just stop selling... which gives some indication of them going on to milk it a lot more than we may think.

FFI+II is far outselling the PSone remake, I believe.

Hey, as long as they keep making A BOX for each series - and I can keep selling them on eBay for insane premiums - keep 'em coming, sez I.

I keep saying this, and will continue to do so: I still want Super Mario Land with a graphic overhaul. Or at the very least, the All Stars version of SMB1.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Lyte Edge said:
I'd like to see several GB games get the Metroid Zero Mission/Super Mario Advance style treatment myself. :)

I did buy Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2 (aka Lost Levels) for the GBA, but for NES games, I use this now:

zodiac_prodshot.jpg

It was pricey, but I get NES, Master System, Game Gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Atari ST, SCUMM, and TG-16/PCE emulation among others, plus you can watch movies and play MP3s. There's another emulator that runs most SNES and Genesis games really well, but it's not licensed yet, so only developers can get it. :( I do have an older Genesis emu that works well without sound though. The only actual Zodiac game worth buying is Doom II; everything else is pure crap.

If they could figure out a way to squeeze a cellphone into that device as well, I'd buy it today. Alas. I hate having to carry tons of different devices on my person.

Top Bottom