• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family Gaming Suggestions?

fossen

Lord, what a horrible title. But I can't think of a better.

I just finished Kingdom Hearts. I played through with my 5 year old and 2 year old. We'd usually spend an hour or so every Saturday morning. They didn't play, but just enjoyed the game and story as it happened. My older girl got pretty wrapped up in it, drawing pictures of Sora, playing Keyblade fights with her cousins, starting up dinner-table conversations on how we all thought the game would end .... it was really a great experience.

However, the game is over, and since it's the only thing that has seen the inside of my PS2 for 6 months, I'm selling the PS2 off.

I'd like to pick up something else to keep us gaming together, but am having a hard time coming up with games that fit the bill. Obviously the content nees to be kid-friendly (Silent Hill is a no-go), there needs to be a strong plot, graphics should be good, and I'd like something where my oldest can participate (either simple controls in parts, or puzzle solving). It also has to be a good game that will be fun for me - no barbie fashion Adventure, or the like.

I have Xbox and GC. My top choice is Wind Waker. Good graphics, some great story stuff, and the sailing is easy enough ....

Any other suggestions? Is Starfox Adventures worth a shot?

(Were Paper Mario 2 out now, that would probably top the list.)

WarPig

Starfox would bore a young kid stupid. Xbox is kinda weak when it comes to AAA all-ages stuff -- its best games tend to be more violent. Wind Waker would be a good one, ditto Mario Sunshine (kids seem to really dig that one).

Sadly, if you still had the PS2, I'd recommend Katamari Damacy...

Edit: Mario Golf would be a good one, now that I think about it, or you could wait for Mario Tennis, which should be even better. Legend of Zelda: Four Swords would be another good game to play with kids, if you have the extra GBAs.

DFS.

Superbone

I just finished Pikmin with my 9 and 7 year old. Now, we're playing Pikmin 2. Good times. The games emphasize strategic thinking skills.

Wind Waker and maybe Beyond Good & Evil
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (I don't think the rest of the series is as good.)
Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon - A Wonderful Life... maybe.
Super Mario Sunshine.

WarPig

SpoonyBard said:
Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon - A Wonderful Life... maybe.

I wonder, would kids get into the collection/building aspects of these, or would the repetition turn them off? I'm not really sure, now that I think about it.

I think Pikmin 2's a good suggestion, by the way. Fast-moving, visually appealing, easy to get a handle on, still has depth.

DFS.

I'm a bit surprised that you expose your kids to even the slightly violent tones of the RPG games. I'm not passing judgement, but I haven't ever really known a parent to expose their children to software beyond Reader Rabbit at that young an age.

I guess that it's nothing to different than what everybody lets em watch in Disney cartoon, eh? Especially with Kingdom Hearts. Though when my two nieces watched Brother Bear they were chasing me for weeks with a sharpened wooden spoon.

You might consider Luigi's Mansion to continue the pattern you've set; I played that one for my four year-old niece. It starts them on recognizing the known characters too.

However, I think that if you're going to expose them to games, you should get them playing. The problem is finding something appropirate that they can both comprehend, and control.

I've not done extensive testing, but I've found that free-form racing games are great for starters. Conceptually it's something that they see everyday, and you can usually get away with one button and the stick.

They are going to hit stuff constantly though, and get frustrated, wihich is why a free-form game like Midtown Madness 3 is great. They can go wherever they want, and if they get stuck, they can hit one button to get put back onto the road. It's easy and they don't get seem to get frustrated with it.

I know these kind of racers are not deep, but they are multiplayer, so you can play it with them. I'd think, since you're exposing them anyway, that you'd want to get them playing ASAP. Something simple and accesible is the best way to them started.

WarPig said:
I wonder, would kids get into the collection/building aspects of these, or would the repetition turn them off? I'm not really sure, now that I think about it.

I think Pikmin 2's a good suggestion, by the way. Fast-moving, visually appealing, easy to get a handle on, still has depth.

DFS.

My brothers have been playing the Harvest Moon titles since they were 7 and 8. They're 9 and 10 now. They've yet to really move on from them and really enjoy the way the games are set-up. Based on my experience, it works well once kids give it a chance.

fossen

I'm a bit surprised that you expose your kids to even the slightly violent tones of the RPG games. I'm not passing judgement, but I haven't ever really known a parent to expose their children to software beyond Reader Rabbit at that young an age.
Fair enough. :)

I suppose it's one of those where you have to know your kids. She hides behind the couch at the tornado ballet in Oklahoma, but has never been the least bit frightened by Wizard of OZ. It's not something I would want her playing on her own, but it feels OK to me with a parent there. Luigi would be too much for her. :)

I had played through the first half of the game myself, and it seemed safe enough. I must say, I was a bit unprepared for how ..... Square .... it got at the end. Overall I like KH, but still don't understand who the heck it's really aimed at. At least with Wind Waker, I've played all the way through, so I know what to expect.

On the other posts:
- Thanks for the avoidance suggestion on SFA. I was unsure, as collect-a-thoning got old fast in KH. Not much patience for that in our gaming sessions. However dinosaurs and talking animals are always a big hit.

- Yeah, Xbox is very deficient in games for younger players. Nemo is the only option I have considered there.

- Does Pikmin 2 have much of a story? I played 1 and enjoyed it, but it's not that story based.

- Sunshine is an excellent sugestion that slipped my mind. Thanks.

- Also Harvest Moon. I've never played it, but I'll look into it.

- Animal Crossing is interesting. I love the game personally, but wonder if it could sustain their interest, as there really is no story.

Xellos

For GC, Wind Waker, BG&E, Luigi's Mansion, and the Pikmins are all good suggestions.

As an alternate suggestion, how about going retro? A N64, Mario 64, and Rayman 2 could probably be had for a little more than $50.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'd recommend:

Mario Kart: Double Dash - My neice (7) and nephew (4) love this playing this game with me. The 2-players-per-kart allow for younger players to enjoy the game, even when they can't handle the racing part on their own. No story, but fun to play.

Also:

Super Monkey Ball 1&2

Animal Crossing

Pikmin 1&2 - 2 doesn't really have any more of a story, but it let's you feed the creatures you fight in the game, almost like a petting zoo.

Zelda: WW - Use the GBA to guide the younger players through the dungeons.

SMS

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's really funny this thread came up. For about a year now GameDAILY has been continually working on a Family Guide, with a comprehensive listing and description of what games are good for the family, and why. Along with what age groups will get the most out of them. There's also features about gaming for girls, edutainment, etc. I recognize that this is a shameless plug, but seriously, the questions you ask in the thread opener is exactly the stuff we've been striving to answer for a year now. We're pretty proud of the results:

http://www.gamedaily.com/family/

Flynn

fossen said:
- Animal Crossing is interesting. I love the game personally, but wonder if it could sustain their interest, as there really is no story.

The trick with Animal Crossing would be to engage them through the game.

Write them letters.
Bury things in town for them to find.
Teach them about saving money.
Work with them as they collect fish and bugs -- then look up the real world fish and bugs online.
Donate samples in the game, then take them to a real museum.
Make K.K. Slider performances a family event.
Introduce them to Kappa, then show them the Japanese legends of Kappa online.

I could go on forever.

I hope there's a console that plays Animal Crossing when I have kids. The game has the potential to be a unique and fun teaching tool.

Top Bottom