• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family puts life savings into restaurant. Arsonists burn it to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Among other homes and businesses. This happened this morning in Alameda, my former home and it's so awful. The worst part is this family was building the restaurant and hadn't got insurance yet.

2 arson suspects arrested after 8 fires started across Alameda

Four families are without homes, and a community is in shock, after arsonists tore through a seven-block radius of Alameda early Sunday, torching houses, businesses, cars and trash bins, authorities said.

Two men, ages 27 and 22, were arrested on suspicion of arson in connection with eight frightening blazes that firefighters rushed to extinguish between 1 and 5 a.m., said Alameda police Lt. Jill Ottaviano. The suspects were not immediately identified.

“There was a lot of running around last night,” Ottaviano said. “We’ve had arsons before, but in the 18 years I’ve been here, nothing like this.”

The most damaging of the fires started just after 4 a.m. on Alameda’s main commercial strip on the 1600 block of Park Street, said Capt. Jim Colburn of the Alameda Fire Department.

At least five businesses were affected from the three-alarm blaze, which firefighters said was lit in an alley behind the shopping area.

Angela’s, a Mediterranean-style restaurant that was being renovated, suffered the brunt of the damage. By Sunday morning, all that remained of the business was a charred shell. The restaurant owners said they recently invested their life savings into the business, which was still waiting to open.

Getting insurance was still on their to-do list, they said.

“It looks like a total loss,” said Saboor Zafari, who owns Angela’s and came to the restaurant after a friend alerted him about the fire. “We don’t know what we are going to do now.”

Zafari’s wife and teenage daughter, for whom the restaurant is named, sat in tears across the street from the destroyed business Sunday.

Next door to Angela’s was Brite 1-Hour Cleaners, a dry-cleaning business with an apartment above.

Janet and Daniel Ng own several dry cleaners around the Bay Area, but the Alameda location was the central hub where they did most of their work. Their business, along with four of six delivery trucks, were destroyed by the fire.

“I’m so sorry for our customers,” Janet Ng said while surveying the damage. “But everyone is safe. That is the main thing.”

Two men living in the apartment above the cleaners heard crackling from the fire and both got out safely as the unit went up in flames, witnesses said.
Around the corner from the businesses is Jim’s Homestyle Diner. The Alameda institution of more than 50 years was not damaged in the fire, and security cameras at the restaurant caught one of the arsonists on video.

“It was very methodical,” said owner Tom Geanekos, who watched the video. “The sad thing is, he must have known that it was an apartment and someone was in there. It’s sad — really, really sad. Thank God no one was hurt.”

The brash string of intentionally set fires had firefighters from multiple East Bay agencies scrambling early Sunday. The first call came in at 12:56 a.m. after someone set a trash can on fire on the 1300 block of Regent Street. Crews contained the blaze but soon got a call at 1:11 a.m. about the smell of smoke on the 500 block of Willow Street. Authorities did not locate any fire, but, at 1:39 a.m., they were diverted to a blaze burning in the back of a two-story, single-family home on the 1100 block of Regent Street, Colburn said.

Firefighters extinguished the flames by 2:20 a.m., Colburn said. Most of the damage was limited to the rear of the residence and the attic, but the family living in the home was displaced.

At 2:22 a.m., on the 2200 block of San Antonio Avenue, a two-story Victorian home that was converted into a duplex was torched.

Francisco Rodriguez was working while his four kids, the oldest age 13, were sleeping in the rear unit of the duplex. Everyone got out safely, but the home was a total loss.

“I’m in shock,” he said. “I don’t know what we’re going to do — start all over I guess.”

The flames also destroyed a vehicle and damaged a neighbor’s home, Colburn said

Ten minutes later, firefighters put out a burning car in the garage of a home on the 1000 block of Willow Street, and, at 3:29 a.m., crews squelched a fire in a garbage can next to an apartment on the 2200 block of Encinal Avenue, Colburn said.

Authorities credited firefighters for their quick response to ensure no one was seriously hurt in the rash of blazes.

“Their response went incredibly well,” Alameda Fire Chief Mike D’Orazi said at a morning press briefing. “We were able to contain the fires to their buildings of origin, which is significant. It’s a major accomplishment.”

Firefighters responded to several other small fires around the area during the early morning, and investigators were combing through debris and interviewing witnesses Sunday.

More pictures at the link.

1106x1106.jpg

EDIT: Another link with a video and details of the men arrested:

http://abc7news.com/news/1-in-custody-after-7-suspicious-fires-set-in-alameda/327484/

Police arrested two suspects Sunday morning for setting the fires, but their motive is still unknown.

"I can tell you that they are two adult males. One is a resident of Alameda who is 27 and then the other male is a transient male who frequents Oakland Alameda area," Alameda Lt. Jill Ottaviano said.

The suspect's names have not been released.

HGStormy

Banned
I literally passed by this place 3 days ago and thought "Hey this place looks nice, wonder when it will open"..

LuchaShaq

Banned
Not to be a dick but putting family savings into a restaurant is one step away from setting it on fire already. Statistically it's probably worse than just going to Vegas with it.

Hope they get some seed money and beat the odds with a new awesome restaurant :/

Dalek

Dalek

I wonder if they have something set up. These things usually get set up within the community pretty fast

I have friends that live in Alameda and I'm following this story so if I hear of anything I'll post the details here.

Jacob

hindsight is a beautiful thing

You shouldn't need hindsight to know that getting insurance is not something you put at the bottom of your to-do list, especially with something you're investing your entire life savings in.

Horrible situation for this family nonetheless. Hope they catch the arsonists and that the family gets some help to get them back on their feet.

AMUSIX

Why why why wouldn't you get insurance ASAP

In the case of a business, if you're still building, you hold off on establishing an insured value until everything is done. Getting your final insurance is often done just before opening.

That said, they should have had some level of insurance on the building before construction, especially since any mishaps or problems that happen while building can then be covered.

Arsonists are complete shit. Hope this family finds help out there...and, yeah, could easily see the internet coming together on this one.

xbhaskarx

arsonists tore through a seven-block radius of Alameda early Sunday, torching houses, businesses, cars and trash bins, authorities said.

Two men, ages 27 and 22, were arrested on suspicion of arson in connection with eight frightening blazes that firefighters rushed to extinguish between 1 and 5 a.m.

What was the motive? Were they targeting certain people or businesses? Or was it completely random destruction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom