• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Overdoziz

Banned
Spoilerific discussion on plot. His main contention seems to be revolving around this:

“Why do games treat females this way? Why is there a princess in a castle? Citra doesn’t need to be saved, it’s all Jason’s idea! Jason conjures up this whole idea that Citra needs saving and he’s gonna save her, when in reality it was all a ritual she created to find a sperm donor, and she kills him.”
So ehm,
what if she isn't pregnant?

mr.beers

Is there a new game plus with this game? Any carry overs from previous playthroughs? I love this game and would like to take out the camps again with my good gear and other fun stuff.

Truant

Anyone else hate the second island?

The first island is such a bundle of adventure, mystery and begs to be explored. It's full of ancient ruins, caves, abandoned mines and bunkers, nooks and crannies. The second island is just bunch of shacks and military outposts.

Orca

When I started playing, the first thing I thought was why are they bothering to give him a new tattoo instead of just adding to the tribal that he undoubtedly has already?

That EXTREME intro made me just hate the whole group.
Then the 'military trained' brother breaks the pair out of the cage and doesn't take the guard's gun, avoids killing a separate totally unaware guy where he could have acquired a second gun, and then is shot after deciding that a spot in the open, about six feet away from where the main bad guy is, would be a good place to talk about what to do next.

I love the open world action, the ability to explore, and the interaction between animals and people. Why does the story have to be so ridiculous though?

SJRB

Gold Member

The first island is such a bundle of adventure, mystery and begs to be explored. It's full of ancient ruins, caves, abandoned mines and bunkers, nooks and crannies. The second island is just bunch of shacks and military outposts.

Yes, second island is quite boring despite its verticality. Mainly grassland too, and like you said not much to find other than military bases and shacks.

It feels like an afterthought, unfortunately. I understand they were trying for something else, a chance of scenery of sorts, but making it almost entirely grassland feels boring.

Still has some great setpieces though, the mining base in the canyon is great stuff.

Derrick01

Banned

Kind of. In a way I liked it more since that's where a lot of the challenge in this game actually is with outposts that have 2 or 3 heavies and the reinforcements bring in even more of them.

From a landscape point of view it was definitely lacking.

Marvie_3

Banned
Kind of. In a way I liked it more since that's where a lot of the challenge in this game actually is with outposts that have 2 or 3 heavies and the reinforcements bring in even more of them.

Exactly. The outposts were way better on the 2nd island. It was so much more fun trying to take them without getting spotted. Everything else was worse.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

I felt it gave the option for more challenge, but you had to intentionally handicap yourself to get it (and I did). Otherwise with the new .50 sniper rifle with a suppressor, you could use the extreme verticals of the island to get above the base, hide in a bush and pick off every single person without them ever seeing you. And because of the cliffs/hills they rarely were able to get up to where you were at to investigate.

The Jason

I actually agree with what he was saying. Gamers are the reason why developers cant be more creative. The whole gameplay world mechanic is set up as having to conquer, just like most games. And so the story must follow this, which makes a game's story boring, predictable, and meaningless. The "bad" ending is a perfect response to this if you so choose. What is the point of all our efforts in life? all the conquering we do?
Glory? No, a little bit of pleasure, and then death.

There's also many references to the fact that everything in the world is illusory, or dream like. Just like in real life, the appearance of the outside world is apprehended through our mental faculties of perception, which are wholly unreliable (and through drug use we see that our perceptions can altered be the mind, yet seem completely real). This is significant because it makes us question even further, the nature of our existence.

That's it. I'm done. Fuck this game. Got to the "sneaking through the cave" mission. Fuck this. Was really trying to power through the final missions to see how the story unfolded but I can't take this anymore. First 5 hours were great, next 15 or so were terrible. I like the characters, the story was interesting, it was a trippy and different game, but it gets way beyond fucking mundane and boring. I didn't want to to but I'll just use youtube to see the rest of the story. I can't play anymore of this trash.

Derrick01

Banned
I wish there was a fucking deal on the PC version :(

I saw talk in the steam thread earlier today about it being 50% during the winter sale which everyone expects to start on thursday. So I guess wait and see.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
I felt it gave the option for more challenge, but you had to intentionally handicap yourself to get it (and I did). Otherwise with the new .50 sniper rifle with a suppressor, you could use the extreme verticals of the island to get above the base, hide in a bush and pick off every single person without them ever seeing you. And because of the cliffs/hills they rarely were able to get up to where you were at to investigate.

That's what I ended up doing with all of the outposts after the first 13 or so, purposely let them ring the alarm. On the 2nd island especially, things got really intense sometimes. The bases themselves had a few heavies and lots of guards and they must have brought in up to 20 extra soldiers after the alarm went off. Made things a lot more fun and challenging.

Got this for £5 due to the pricing error on Impulse, it finally finished downloading today.

Oddly enough it turned out I had a Uplay account anyway? Must have been converted from something I signed up to from an older Ubi title I guess?

Can't get my deluxe DLC code to work though. I've got a serial key for the game, and a separate one for the DLC. I've entered both with/without dashes, and with/without caps on. Any ideas?

LQX

Can missions be switched or dropped? I was heading to a main story point and talked to some dude and now I stuck doing his mission.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, F9 = quick save, F11 = quick load.
F9 is quick save?

Wow, have to try on my next session. I'm pretty sure it is not mentioned at all in the control options as I would have immediately rebinded them.

That's it. I'm done. Fuck this game. Got to the "sneaking through the cave" mission. Fuck this. Was really trying to power through the final missions to see how the story unfolded but I can't take this anymore. First 5 hours were great, next 15 or so were terrible. I like the characters, the story was interesting, it was a trippy and different game, but it gets way beyond fucking mundane and boring. I didn't want to to but I'll just use youtube to see the rest of the story. I can't play anymore of this trash.

God, now i dunno if i should open it...i was debating between this and AC3 and your post made me re-question everything. Especially considering the fact that i hated FC2 and got bored within 2-3 hours.

Tankshell

Wouldn't say I hate it, but it certainly had less going for it than the North island. Not quite sure how 2 islands right next to each other can be so different ecologically/habitat wise anyway...

What's the deal with the flavor text in this game? It's unbelievably horrible. I figured it was written by J-Bro, but there's ex-wife jokes in there. I spotted a John McCain joke in there as well (Hahaha PORK!). So, so bad.

Derrick01

Banned
God, now i dunno if i should open it...i was debating between this and AC3 and your post made me re-question everything. Especially considering the fact that i hated FC2 and got bored within 2-3 hours.

As many problems as I had with this game it's a ton better than AC3, the biggest mess of a AAA game of all time (probably).

Pyronite

I love this game, but I still think the Lost Expedition DLC was assigned to a junior dev team. The references to Assassin's Creed and Bioshock, the novelty-laden search quests and dangers you face. It has a different tone than the main game. Maybe that's the point.

What's the deal with the flavor text in this game? It's unbelievably horrible. I figured it was written by J-Bro, but there's ex-wife jokes in there. I spotted a John McCain joke in there as well (Hahaha PORK!). So, so bad.

I enjoyed it, and I read each one. Kotaku (am I allowed to mention them?) enjoyed it as well and posted like 15 images of them.

I'm beginning to think that showing overt personality is aversive to many gamers. Whether's it's dudebros or a lame
American spy

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It's fun, but I kind of feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer after about 4-5 hours. The pack upgrades imo were cool to begin with now they're kinda just tedious - and it just seems to be the same thing over and over. Clear out camp of red-shirt-wearing guys, avoid some animals, climb a few towers, rinse repeat.

Is there any type of 'chest' system? You get the home-base places with the ammo vending machine - but can you store stuff from your pack anywhere there?

I had never played a Farcry before Farcry 3 but picked this up for the PC and think it's great!

Having a lot of fun so far with the story, upgrading everything, and completing the missions. Easily a very good purchase.

Probably the same guy who did the descriptions when you find a new location in the Assassins creed games. Those descriptions were really starting to get annoying.

As many problems as I had with this game it's a ton better than AC3, the biggest mess of a AAA game of all time (probably).

It's fun, but I kind of feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer after about 4-5 hours. The pack upgrades imo were cool to begin with now they're kinda just tedious - and it just seems to be the same thing over and over. Clear out camp of red-shirt-wearing guys, avoid some animals, climb a few towers, rinse repeat.

Is there any type of 'chest' system? You get the home-base places with the ammo vending machine - but can you store stuff from your pack anywhere there?

Well, if its better than AC3, ill keep it. :p

-Amon-

Finished today. I'm thinking to replay it from scratch, liked it so much.

While i somehow agree with some of the criticism about the plot, there are certain moments in this game that are really great to me. Capturing the outposts is great, but the moments i appreciated more in the game was the ones in which you had to go to the new towers. Lots of travel in unknown territory with no maps.

Liked a lot all the story missions in the second island too. All the killer mission has been fun till now. Only the hunting ones can be frustrating if you go in without the right hunting - enhancer drugs.

Pyronite

Anybody else notice that when you pull up the map a Rorschach-like image flashes on the screen?

I kind of feel like that's a metaphor for this game and for Jason.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished. Story overall was kind of lame but there were several great characters and moments. The last few missions were really fun. Overall I thought the game was pretty good but it definitely loses steam as you progress. I had crafted everything, was mostly leveled up, and I owned most of the signature weapons about 2/3 of the way through the first island. If it had kept up the awesomeness of the beginning throughout it would have been incredible. Those early parts where you were exploring the vast jungle and every upgrade was really meaningful were great. I can understand why the game let you do them so quickly but they needed to spread it out more. It was kind of a catch 22 result from trying to curb the grindy nature of open world games.

The credits theme is really great. Loving this song.

legacyzero

Banned
So after having quite a while with the game, I figured it was a good time to lay down my thoughts. My total thoughts about Far Cry 3 can really be laid out in one sentence:

Far Cry 3 is a glaring example of what is wrong with Ubisoft games. MISSED POTENTIAL.

Far Cry 3 launches for the clouds, and hits them, but is suddenly pulled back down by the force that is poor design, plot, and direction choices. Like (and unlike) Far Cry 2, the game is held back by these choices, but at the opposite end of the spectrum, where some of these changes are clearly over board. Far Cry 3 tries to fix some of the issues from Far Cry 2, but often too much, without the happy medium.

The story which seems to be front and center the main feature of the game, takes a nose-dive midway through the game, betrays your expectations (not necessarily in a good way), and kills itself in a way that is almost false advertising. Still, the story is good enough to experience at least once. The characters are top notch (yes, even the douchey ones) which is sad, because they took a back seat the best character of the entire game, which is where the game fails (those of you that havn't played, or made it halfway will find out.)

Worst of all, the real wasted potential is the island itself. This HUGE, lush environment where the devs could have packed corner to corner with various story based side quests, are replaced with below-standard mini-game type activities. Uninteresting so much, that you only find yourself doing them at a minimum to get by. Sure, there are distractions here and there, but those wear off after a while.

Multipler and the Map Editor are also jarring examples of how Ubisoft not only hinders their potential, they full out take it outside and execute it. The Map Editor is a very powerful tool, but is held back by the terrible Multiplayer layout in regard to the lobbies.

I havn't played Co-Op yet, but I intend on trying as soon as I take out some of my backlog.

I love this game, GAF. but I'm hurt by the potential that Ubisoft could have clearly grasped and ran away with, but almost clearly declined.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am sort of reminded by the first Assassin's Creed when playing this game.

It's like, "Wow, awesome" for a lot of stuff when you first do them, and the game nonchalantly shove a thousand more of the same thing to you and say, "Great! Now do them all over again!" Hahaha.

golem

Spoilerific discussion on plot. His main contention seems to be revolving around this:

“Why do games treat females this way? Why is there a princess in a castle? Citra doesn’t need to be saved, it’s all Jason’s idea! Jason conjures up this whole idea that Citra needs saving and he’s gonna save her, when in reality it was all a ritual she created to find a sperm donor, and she kills him.”

Which, he is absolutely right, turns the whole "white savior" trope on its head.
He was being used. Citra just wanted that white bebeh.

Dunno the island seems pretty f'd when we get there
we pretty much free the whole island from the baddies and then she uses the white protagonist's seed to make the ultimate fighter baby or whatever. Seems like she needed the white savior after all.

I appreciate the writer tried something different (or at least he thought he did). Maybe the next time he will write something a little more coherent.

NBtoaster

It's supposed to be written by the CIA guy, I think.

Jintor

Which, he is absolutely right, turns the whole "white savior" trope on its head.
He was being used. Citra just wanted that white bebeh.

Unfortunately it wants to have its cake and eat it too. It's so bad at turning the trope around that it just looks like it's being the trope. The mechanics of the game itself in no way attempt to deliver this message. And let's not even start talking about the nonsensical, meaningless drug-trip dream sequences which don't mean jackshit.

conman

My biggest gripe is just that this game is too damn easy. I really like a lot of what FC3 is doing story-wise. I buy what the writer has been saying in recent interviews about this game unveiling how action games frequently "gamify" colonization. Contrary to what many of you are assuming, it's not aiming for parody or satire. It's aiming for absurdity.

It's the Great Pacific Garbage Patch of racial cliches in gaming.

But the game itself is just too easy. I mentioned this already in the FC2 v. FC3 thread, but I've tried playing without skill upgrades, crafting, weapon purchases, or looting. But the game is still just too easy. I asked this in the other thread, but got no answer: has any of you found a way to make this game enjoyably challenging? Figuring out how to "fix" the original AC (by turning off the minimap and not using the map screen) turned that game from a flawed masterpiece into a true masterpiece. I'm searching for the same "fix" for FC3, but haven't figured it out yet. Anyone?

conman

If it's aiming for absurdity it's doing an extremely poor job, too!
What isn't absurd about it? From beginning to end, from one end of one island to the other end of the next, it's utterly ridiculous. It does for action games what Scream did for the slasher film. Scream wasn't a satire or a parody of slasher flicks. It was still a good slasher film while still being a direct commentary on the ridiculousness of slasher conventions.

Jintor

Saint's Row 3 or San Andreas is absurdity. Far Cry 3 is... well, it's absurd in parts, but it plays it too straight. It never presents the Rakyat, for example, as anything less than serious island dudes fighting for their island (even if they're all totally generic and in gameplay terms they're all clones)

You've got some gameplay stuff that is absurd - hunting sharks, leaping off mountains with a wingsuit (nevermind wearing the thing the entire time), but it's all... apart from the CIA handbook nothing's out and out fucking nuts. If they had leant into that, that's way more interesting than what we got.

conman

What sets Far Cry 3 apart is that it makes the entire premise absurd. Games like Saints Row 3 just put you into ridiculous situations, but they never make the entire genre seem absurd. FC3 attacks (and simultaneously relishes in) the absurd racial tropes and exoticized violence of modern action games.

I never feel like it's "playing it straight." It's like an over-the-top teenage slasher film, but like Scream or Cabin in the Woods, it also has a lot of winks and nods about its silly, overplayed conventions. I guess that either works for you or it doesn't. So many games use these conventions that it would be easy to mistake them for just "more of the same." But for me, I was like "yes! finally, a game-maker gets it! about time!" It does for the idiotic racial tropes and colonial situations of western action games what No More Heroes does for the over-sexualized, ego-driven fantasies of Japanese gaming culture.

I just wish the game were more challenging.

Jintor

I don't see it that way at all. At all. If it's trying to make the entire premise absurd, it's too confused about it to realise it.

The only thing I might grant you that is the perfect marriage of absurd gameplay and story is the stupid cave hallucination with a completely pointless quicktime event to dance in the club. Now that's fucking absurd.

saunderez

I never feel like it's "playing it straight." It's like an over-the-top teenage slasher film, but like Scream or Cabin in the Woods, it also has a lot of winks and nods about its silly, overplayed conventions.

Yeah that was my first impression, I got a whole Hostel meets The Beach vibe and that didn't really go away for the entire game. If I took everything seriously I would've had to quit when Dennis asked me to climb the first radio tower. I mean theres whole village full of people just a few hundred meters away from the tower and the new kid has to do it? Come on!

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah that was my first impression, I got a whole Hostel meets The Beach vibe and that didn't really go away for the entire game. If I took everything seriously I would've had to quit when Dennis asked me to climb the first radio tower. I mean theres whole village full of people just a few hundred meters away from the tower and the new kid has to do it? Come on!

Come on, this is a cheap shot. It was a basic gameplay element being introduced early on in the game for tutorial reasons.

But if you want to get technical about it: the villagers didn't give a fuck about Vaas controlling the radio towers, you as the player needed to climb them to disrupt his operations.

conman

It isn't just that. It's the young, white male ego-fanstasy behind it all. Of course the reluctant hero has to do it! He's the empowered center of the universe, even if (and especially when) he's in a foreign land. Dark people can't help themselves. They need white men to fix things for them.

I mean, it's already absurd without FC3 "pointing out" a thing. There's no rib jabbing necessary. We've all done this stuff a million times in other games. But there's just so much else over-the-top in the central racial/colonial fantasy that it's pretty clear the folks behind FC3 knew what they were doing. Again, that doesn't make it satire. It doesn't have to be funny to be absurd.

Top Bottom