• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Jintor

It's so great, isn't it? best open world story i've played
I've read in the far cry 2 vs 3 thread a few times people saying the story is "Horrible" and "terrible" and it just blew my mind.

It's horrible and terrible. Boom, made your head explode.

Honestly the story is an incoherent mess held together by oddly strong characters who don't actually do anything much. I kind of got what they were going for but they execute it extremely poorly.

Socreges

Banned
Are there any weapons besides the ones we can buy in any store? Are the 'unlocks' just the ability to acquire those weapons for free?

I've just noticed that there are no 5-star weapons and thought there might be more.

Scrabble

It's horrible and terrible. Boom, made your head explode.

Honestly the story is an incoherent mess held together by oddly strong characters who don't actually do anything much. I kind of got what they were going for but they execute it extremely poorly.

It's not an incoherent mess at all. The only real problem I had with is that they didn't take full advantage of a few story points and characters, but overall it was really strong. Also the acting performances are probably the best I've seen in a game.

Xander51

Are there any weapons besides the ones we can buy in any store? Are the 'unlocks' just the ability to acquire those weapons for free?

I've just noticed that there are no 5-star weapons and thought there might be more.

The weapons you can see initially are not the entire set. As you get further into the game, more weapons will unlock.

Pyronite

It's not an incoherent mess at all. The only real problem I had with is that they didn't take full advantage of a few story points and characters, but overall it was really strong. Also the acting performances are probably the best I've seen in a game.

In comparison to most major movies and nearly all first person shooters, it is more than competent. Certainly not an incoherent mess.

I never asked how Leon learned to kill all those people after his girlfriend was murdered by her father, and it's still one of my favorite movies. Sometimes everything doesn't have to be spelled out if you can fill in the blanks.

The Jason

The weapons you can see initially are not the entire set. As you get further into the game, more weapons will unlock.

There's also signature weapons (which are modded versions that you receive for certain tasks).

Jintor

Incoherent wasn't the right word. Stupid, maybe. Acting performances are pretty exceptional - Buck, Vaas, Sam, Hoyt a little - but the overall story doesn't go anywhere of worth.

TripOpt55

The more I play this, the more I think it is my GotY. Kind of a weak year this year for me, but I really love this game and think this would be in contention in other years. I am closing in on the platinum. But I think I may keep going and try and do more of the non-trophy required side missions. I haven't done much in the way of Rakyat challenges for instance.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just hit the point of no return prompt. Is there a way that I can save in a different save file on PS3 so I can go back and do the end stuff again to get the different endings?

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Just hit the point of no return prompt. Is there a way that I can save in a different save file on PS3 so I can go back and do the end stuff again to get the different endings?

I can't really comment on the PS3 question since I played the game on PC, but the two different endings are just a binary choice at the end of the game, which determine which 30 second cut scene you receive. You would probably be better off choosing the one you want and watching the other on Youtube.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't really comment on the PS3 question since I played the game on PC, but the two different endings are just a binary choice at the end of the game, which determine which 30 second cut scene you receive. You would probably be better off choosing the one you want and watching the other on Youtube.

Ah, OK. I didn't know if it was something more substantial than that. All I knew is that there was more than one ending.

legacyzero

Banned

Pretty much what I did.

SJRB

Gold Member
Incoherent wasn't the right word. Stupid, maybe. Acting performances are pretty exceptional - Buck, Vaas, Sam, Hoyt a little - but the overall story doesn't go anywhere of worth.

The story in itself wasn't the problem, it's just that the game hints towards some bigger premise but in the end never delivers.

You're basically waiting the whole game for something to happen that never actually happens.

So much potential wasted, unfortunately.

Like tears in the rain

tumblr_mcm3hkFvrN1rjjshzo1_500.gif

Except no one went for the bad ending,
we all knew Citra was crazy so we saved the Americans because that was our main task
. Everyone just youtube'd the bad ending and nothing much came of it.

This writer needed a better narrative designer or understand how video games differ from films/tv. If this is all through Jason's eyes, where's the normal character to show that he's an insane person?

Play Spec Ops: The Line if you want a proper critique of game violence that's handled not just through cutscenes but through gameplay with the "adaptive dialogue", protagonist demeanor, more brutal melee takedowns, hallucinations, and loading screens.

Goldrusher

The story would have been much better if we played with Vaas, capturing asshole teenagers around the island to trade them for weapons with Buck to take back the second island for your tribe.

Scrabble

The story in itself wasn't the problem, it's just that the game hints towards some bigger premise but in the end never delivers.

You're basically waiting the whole game for something to happen that never actually happens.

The Giant Bomb guys were saying the same thing but I never could figure out what exactly they were expecting/hoping. Were they suspecting the whole thing to be a dream? Or maybe the events being fictitious and only transpiring in Jason's head? Very early on I was getting a Heart of Darkness/ Lord of the Flies vibe and that's very much the basis for the story and I personally found it to be very good. My only complaint is that some characters just weren't taken full advantage of.

The story would have been much better if we played with Vaas, capturing asshole teenagers around the island to trade them for weapons with Buck to take back the second island for your tribe.

Yeah, I thought it'd go this way when he started
beating up his brother and could go to the dark side
. Being involved in all that would be an awesome twist.

Atruvius

The Giant Bomb guys were saying the same thing but I never could figure out what exactly they were expecting/hoping. Were they suspecting the whole thing to be a dream? Or maybe the events being fictitious and only transpiring in Jason's head? Very early on I was getting a Heart of Darkness/ Lord of the Flies vibe and that's very much the basis for the story and I personally found it to be very good. My only complaint is that some characters just weren't taken full advantage of.

I got the impression that they thought that Vaas would have been Jason's split personality. It kinda looked like it would have been like that at some parts.

Scrabble

Except no one went for the bad ending,
we all knew Citra was crazy so we saved the Americans because that was our main task
. Everyone just youtube'd the bad ending and nothing much came of it.

This writer needed a better narrative designer or understand how video games differ from films/tv. If this is all through Jason's eyes, where's the normal character to show that he's an insane person?

Play Spec Ops: The Line if you want a proper critique of game violence that's handled not just through cutscenes but through gameplay with the "adaptive dialogue", protagonist demeanor, more brutal melee takedowns, hallucinations, and loading screens.

I chose the bad ending and thought it was pretty awesome.

I went with the "bad" ending too. It wasn't even a difficult decision, everything that was fun and meaningful in FC3 was Jason's path into darkness. Everything from the skills to the weapon unlocks made me want to be absorbed into the jungle more, camp out in the woods, not buy supplies from the locals but steal them. I wish they let you embrace it more, lean into it, beside a lame binary choice at the end. All the game mechanics reward you for your path into darkness, the story should have too. I always play on the good side in games because it takes me out of it when I try to pretend I am some asshole, that I'm not. But at the end of FC3, what the hell do I care about my "friends"? Nothing in the game made me feel like I strengthened any bonds. I never had any agency over my interactions with them. The times I had control, I was a crazy jungle warrior who is obsessed with wing suits an pretty good at drifting jalopies around and island with C4 stuck to the hood. That was my narrative!

I don't think the conclusion was as bad as some, but I so share the feeling of lost potential. I wish I could have truly alienated myself within the game, have every village all off a sudden become an infinitely hostile "outpost". You want to buy ammo and equip a signature weapon? You are gonna have to sneak in or kill some people to do so. No blue v. red, the island v. Jason. That would have been the ultimate endgame.

-BLITZ-

I've got a better clear image from FC & FC2. With FC3 I had numerous problems with most of the characters because of their typical jokes, references that was choosen by the writter. Is like these guys have distanced from their correct terms, mixing up words that fit only by their minds and express themselfs by how they see the world around or how the world has affected them. Is like some of them had learned for the first time the human language, but they aren't capable to make a good setence right in their heads as they strugle very badly, so when the things start to come out from their mouths you think they have some Short-Term Memory Dysfunction.

I never understood what Wills or Hoyt said in all the gameplay and I'm not going to dig up, oh well he was refering to that or at least the writter wanted to say something else, but didn't know how to find a better way how to explain what he wanted to say. I also had to focuse so much on Buck because they made him to talk too fast. Olliver comes in mind as well.

FC3 to Dishonored since both are released in the same year it's such a massive distance between them, something that I haven't seen into a game in many years in terms of Dishonored; such well spoken language. I was so proud about that, pleasure into my years to hear all the characters.

Actually if I look back on the second island, I've seen Hoyt personality on many other games as the island itself presures over me only with him, covering the hole land with his dudes. Nothing else si giving into the second island other than this. I see him everywhere, anywhere I look. What else is there, I really don't know. I really even forgot that the Chinese were settled.

lilltias

But he is. People complain about the bad story, writer comes out and says you just don't get it. He might even truly believe that we did miss the point but that doesn't change that he's still blaming us.

But he doesn't fault anyone for it, does he? Please make a quote where he does that. Something was missed (according to him) and it could be anyone's fault. He doesn't seem to take the blame himself, but it's not the other way around either.

But he doesn't fault anyone for it, does he? Please make a quote where he does that. Something was missed (according to him) and it could be anyone's fault. He doesn't seem to take the blame himself, but it's not the other way around either.

From the PA article:

“What makes me sad is that people don’t engage with playing the riddle, trying to solve the riddle. It’s like a scavenger hunt where people aren’t collecting the first clue.”

He doesn't use the word blame, but he definitely implies that it's the fault of the players for not engaging in the way he expects them to in order to appreciate the themes of the story.

The whole article is weird--he says that players shouldn't be talked down to, and then spends the rest of the article deconstructing his own work because no one else "got it".

Going from the 100m drop achievement straight into the 60m dive one is pretty bad ass. Love the gliders so much. I want an Ultralight plane damn it!

Andrew.

Banned
Is there any specific mission or spot to net the troph/cheev for doing an airborne takedown from a glider or zipline? Seems like it would have to be a pretty random occurence for you to perform it properly.

LQX

This is why I hate shitty saving systems with no quick save. Just lost tons of game play after going back to my game today. And why the fuck are there three save slots on the PC if you can only manually save once? Fucking ridiculous.

Also anyway to speed up the skinning animation on PC?

Enco

This is why I hate shitty saving systems with no quick save. Just lost tons of game play after going back to my game today. And why the fuck are there three save slots on the PC if you can only manually save once? Fucking ridiculous.

Also anyway to speed up the skinning animation on PC?
Agreed.

The saving is pretty horrendous.

Pyronite

Spoilerific discussion on plot. His main contention seems to be revolving around this:

“Why do games treat females this way? Why is there a princess in a castle? Citra doesn’t need to be saved, it’s all Jason’s idea! Jason conjures up this whole idea that Citra needs saving and he’s gonna save her, when in reality it was all a ritual she created to find a sperm donor, and she kills him.”

Which, he is absolutely right, turns the whole "white savior" trope on its head.
He was being used. Citra just wanted that white bebeh.

This is why I hate shitty saving systems with no quick save. Just lost tons of game play after going back to my game today.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, F9 = quick save, F11 = quick load.

Marvie_3

Banned
Is there any specific mission or spot to net the troph/cheev for doing an airborne takedown from a glider or zipline? Seems like it would have to be a pretty random occurence for you to perform it properly.
there is a mission in the game that makes it insanely easy to get

Spoilerific discussion on plot. His main contention seems to be revolving around this:

“Why do games treat females this way? Why is there a princess in a castle? Citra doesn’t need to be saved, it’s all Jason’s idea! Jason conjures up this whole idea that Citra needs saving and he’s gonna save her, when in reality it was all a ritual she created to find a sperm donor, and she kills him.”

Which, he is absolutely right, turns the whole "white savior" trope on its head.
He was being used. Citra just wanted that white bebeh.

And yet,
if Jason rejects Citra in favor of leaving the island, she'll still throw herself in the path of Dennis' knife, which makes her motivations pretty murky.
Is she in love with Jason or just using him? The game can't seem to decide.

Top Bottom