• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Instincts for GC too

Yeah pretty much all of Ubisoft's games are coming to all three consoles...Far Cry Instincts...Brothers In Arms...You name it.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah pretty much all of Ubisoft's games are coming to all three consoles...Far Cry Instincts...Brothers In Arms...You name it.

I dont remember hearing about Brothers in Arms for GC,are you sure?

Deg

Banned
Littleberu said:
I can't wait for a dumbed down GC version 6 month after the others, without Online play!!

Far cry will likely be dumbed down on all consoles :p Its a good game tho.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deg said:
Far cry will likely be dumbed down on all consoles :p Its a good game tho.

The Far Cry on console will be a different game. Now that it is being made for three platforms, it will likely suffer (as multiplatform games usually do). They should not be making a PS2 and GC version of this game.

Far Cry on PC really isn't a very good game, though. Overall, it's nothing more than a decent game (with a few high points here and a bunch of low points there).

ToyMachine228 said:

You are probably thinking of the Call of Duty game from Activision, which is coming to GameCube (much to everyone's surprise). Brothers in Arms from Ubisoft is currently not scheduled for GameCube.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I wasn't interested in this game before because I thought it was just a port of the PC version. Then I read somewhere that Instincts is either a semi-sequel or an outright sequel to the original FarCry. If thats the case I hope they release it for the PC as well. If not, I'll buy the GC version. Ubisoft is one of the few third parties providing good support for the system. I don't mind if it isn't online. Its not like I take my consoles online anyway. Heck, the only PC game I play online is UT2004.

When is this game due to ship?

border

Ubisoft is pretty devoted to the Cube....which is weird since it seems like everything they do on it either bombs or is months late.

I kind of question whether they've thought out the desicion, or whether they are just blindly going in with a "let's make everything for every platform" mentality. Within the Cube userbase, is there really going to be a market for an ultra-realistic FPS?

jedimike

dark10x said:
The Far Cry on console will be a different game. Now that it is being made for three platforms, it will likely suffer (as multiplatform games usually do). They should not be making a PS2 and GC version of this game.

Far Cry on PC really isn't a very good game, though. Overall, it's nothing more than a decent game (with a few high points here and a bunch of low points there).

AFAIK, it still uses the Crytek engine. The engine was up and running on Xbox and GC before FCI was even announced. If anything, the PS2 version will likely suffer this time around.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
border said:
Ubisoft is pretty devoted to the Cube....which is weird since it seems like everything they do on it either bombs or is months late.

This is true, but I guess the sales are good enough so that they can make a nice profit from porting the games to the system. A few hundred thousand sales (adding up all their GC sales) is a few hundred thousand sales after all.

Also keep in mind that if by some miracle Nintendo is in a better position marketshare wise next gen Ubisoft will have already established themselves among the hardcore N-gamers. There may be a long term strategy at work here.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
jedimike said:
AFAIK, it still uses the Crytek engine. The engine was up and running on Xbox and GC before FCI was even announced. If anything, the PS2 version will likely suffer this time around.

Last i heard Ubi completely scrapped Far Cry port despite it was working on XB quite good and FCI is using custom engine by Ubi Montreal.

Btw there are 2 PC/XB games using Cryengine slated for late 2005 release :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
I wonder if Nintendo sees Ubi Soft emerging as an EA like force next gen. If so, it would be wise for them to keep Ubi happy. Maybe that is what they're doing?

ourumov

It might sound stupid but I'd purchase it if the port was good... I think this already answers what I am gonna do.

jedimike

JC10001 said:
Also keep in mind that if by some miracle Nintendo is in a better position marketshare wise next gen Ubisoft will have already established themselves among the hardcore N-gamers. There may be a long term strategy at work here.

This excuse could work for any company then...

Also keep in mind that if by some miracle Microsoft is in a better position marketshare wise next gen Sega will have already established themselves among the hardcore XB-gamers. There may be a long term strategy at work here.

Thanks for the info Fleming. That's the first I've heard of them scrapping the engine.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
border said:
Within the Cube userbase, is there really going to be a market for an ultra-realistic FPS?
Jan8_1.jpg

Jan8_2.jpg

Nope. An ultra-realistic FPS like this has no chance on the Cube.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
This excuse could work for any company then...

Also keep in mind that if by some miracle Microsoft is in a better position marketshare wise next gen Sega will have already established themselves among the hardcore XB-gamers. There may be a long term strategy at work here.

Thanks for the info Fleming. That's the first I've heard of them scrapping the engine.
Actually Sega used that line of thinking at one point. Though I think it's safe to say that UbiSoft has hardly shown GameCube the same effort Sega threw at XBox...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, I actually support a cybamerc post...

Not only is Far Cry NOT realistic...it isn't even very good. Heck, the fact that the game seems to live on in our memories as a benchmark is a good indication of the quality. Who actually talks about Far Cry from a game standpoint anymore?

border

Well, maybe not ultra-realistic, though realistic in the sense that it's not a totally otherworldly fantasy/sci-fi setting.... ;)

FPSes have not done particularly well on Nintendo platform, whether it's combat sim (Clancy) or more action-oriented (Timesplitters). Even when Ubisoft went for a more quirky style that might appeal to the Cube audience (XIII), the reception was lukewarm...

border

Wow, FarCry on the PC has sold 730,000 copies. That's pretty cool. It's a great little game, and definitely deserves good sales. I was worried that it might get overshadowed by the release of UT2004...

jedimike

I guess this chart more or less explains the continued GC development... European GC Ubi sales must be making up for the North American sales.

Geographic split of sales in %
% sales % sales
Q1 2004/2005 Q1 2003/2004
Europe 55% 31%
North America 38% 65%
ROW 7% 4%
TOTAL 100% 100%

Split of sales per platforms in %
PC 22% 20%
PS2 58% 50%
XBOX 7% 6%
G-CUBE 7% 10%

border said:
Wow, FarCry on the PC has sold 730,000 copies. That's pretty cool. It's a great little game, and definitely deserves good sales.

The game starts out really good and then falls apart in the end. The AI in this game was really awesome though!

GDGF

Soothsayer
jedimike said:
I guess this chart more or less explains the continued GC development... European GC Ubi sales must be making up for the North American sales.

XBOX 7% 6%
G-CUBE 7% 10%

Ubi Soft to drop XboX support! ;)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jedimike said:
PC 22% 20%
PS2 58% 50%
XBOX 7% 6%
G-CUBE 7% 10%
What?! That's crazy! I can't believe that even with the superior sales of seemingly all of the multiplatform games on the Xbox (versus GC), the GC still ends up on top (edit - for the 1st quarter, that is).

If this came from anywhere besides Ubisoft, I wouldn't believe it.

border

I don't get it either....how can Pandora Tomorrow sell 1 million units, but the Xbox and Cube are still even? What are the calendar dates for Q1?

border said:

I kind of question whether they've thought out the desicion, or whether they are just blindly going in with a "let's make everything for every platform" mentality. Within the Cube userbase, is there really going to be a market for an ultra-realistic FPS?

I guess Ubi Soft finds it profitable. This is like Sega making games for MS, even tough some people on this board think they shouldn't. The sane argumanet could be made for Ubitsoft, thier sales are better on X-box and PS2, why bother on Gamecube. But iam glad Ubi Soft does makes games On the Gamecube ,like iam glad Sega makes games on the X-box.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
jedimike said:
Geographic split of sales in %
% sales % sales
Europe 55% 31%
North America 38% 65%
ROW 7% 4%
TOTAL 100% 100%

Split of sales per platforms in %
PC 22% 20%
PS2 58% 50%
XBOX 7% 6%
G-CUBE 7% 10%

Actually Sega used that line of thinking at one point. Though I think it's safe to say that UbiSoft has hardly shown GameCube the same effort Sega threw at XBox...

Indeed jarrod & although these are 1st qtr. numbers, I don't foresee any largescale % deviations to follow in the remaining 3 qtrs. And judging by these regional percentage numbers breakdown, Ubi Soft is reaping a much larger profit than Sega ever was for their X-Box support. (*cough*moneyhats*cough*)

I guess Ubi Soft finds it profitable.

You guess? Re-read the charts again, & then rephrase your sentence.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Littleberu said:
I can't wait for a dumbed down GC version 6 month after the others, without Online play!!
Losing Online play in Farcry means nothing. I played Online maybe twice? I guess UT2k4 is to blame tho.

NWO

Littleberu said:

Well it will be more entertaining than what your playing right now.

jarrod

Banned
sonic4ever said:
I guess Ubi Soft finds it profitable. This is like Sega making games for MS, even tough some people on this board think they shouldn't. The sane argumanet could be made for Ubitsoft, thier sales are better on X-box and PS2, why bother on Gamecube. But iam glad Ubi Soft does makes games On the Gamecube ,like iam glad Sega makes games on the X-box.
Difference being Sega is still showing preferentail treatment to XBox, while UbiSoft's GameCube support consists of downgraded ports, usually after the fact. The comparison doesn't fly...

dark10x said:
Wow, I actually support a cybamerc post...

Not only is Far Cry NOT realistic...it isn't even very good. Heck, the fact that the game seems to live on in our memories as a benchmark is a good indication of the quality. Who actually talks about Far Cry from a game standpoint anymore?

Actually, how many great FPS games are on the GC. TS2 and RB6:3 are not the most popular on any console when it comes to the single player aspect. There hasn't been a high quality FPS on the GC since launch, so right now its untapped market on the Cube.

JC10001 said:
I wasn't interested in this game before because I thought it was just a port of the PC version. Then I read somewhere that Instincts is either a semi-sequel or an outright sequel to the original FarCry.

It's a full sequel in spirit, at least. The storyline continues from the last game and the main character has several gameplay "superpowers" of origin that can be easily guessed by anybody who managed to achieve a miracle / cheat their way through the end of Far Cry.

I've already mentioned this before, but the first half of Far Cry isn't decent - it's great. Once the monsters start rolling in the game falls apart faster than you can say "Xen". Altogether that doesn't make the game a classic, but the high points were certainly higher than anything else on the PC this year.

Top Bottom