• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

I do kinda wish Michael Hogan had a little more to do than just sit and glower. I mean, I understand that's the role. But I wanna see what he'd do with this dialog man.

Bandit1

Because America sucks.

tumblr_ntgbl6epU91twsy5jo1_500.gif

*uses British guy to challenge your sentiment*

It is a shame about the ratings though.

Grinchy

Banned
This is one of those shows that makes me lose track of time. The episode ends and I'm shocked because there's no way that so much time has passed.

Waiting a week for a new episode is just so painful with a show like this.

Caught up today

I LOVED Season One and like this one as well, just not as much. It hasn't hooked me in the same way.

I wish the ratings would be better, though, because as a whole Fargo is one of the best shows out there.

I love how Season Two ties into Season One, what with everything Molly's father mentioned and her as a child. I like both casts a lot, too.

Moff

Wait till the season finale where he finally gets up with a revolver in hand and shoots Dodd in the head before keeling over.

I certainly hope something like that happens, I was very excited to see him and disappointed when it seemed he was dying and now in a coma.

another great episode btw. I feel this whole season was done to specifically please me

-MD-

Had no clue the ratings were at a series low, this is one of the best shows airing right now and it'd be a shame to lose it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Have they said if they're leaving clues re: season 3 in this season like they did last year? I could see the Gerhardts in 1951 as maybe being the story that next season focuses on.

Agree~

That would be kinda cool. Like if in every season the show went further and further back until it was basically a Western.

Moff

If I had to criticize anything.
I really miss the main theme, beautiful music.

But the different intros in each episode are still very well done this season.

Hatchtag

Banned
That would be kinda cool. Like if in every season the show went further and further back until it was basically a Western.

Fargo S3 a snowy western could be awesome.
I bet they'll link season 3 to the rest of the series somehow. Not sure if it'd be an earlier era or a sooner one though.

Ratings better not impact a third season. Show's too good, but it's so seemingly expensive I can't see it getting revived by someone else if FX cancelled it.

Also, as a side note, the music played when Mollys mom was getting chemo and towards the end of the third episode is really, really good.

IronRinn

Yeah, FX is weird (for TV) in that they oftentimes will ignore ratings numbers if the critical response is positive. I just wish more people were watching, because it's so good. Oh well, as a fan of The Americans this just kind of strikes me as par for the course, really.

As I noted in the renew/cancel thread, I don't think the show is in any danger of not being renewed by FX, but it's still disappointing to see the low numbers.

And the ratings actually bounced back up a bit this week as well. Up .15 to a .42 demo, which is right in line with every show on FX that isn't named American Horror Story.

- Onion A|V Club's Polite Fight: Were Fargo’s two standoffs too many? (video)
On this edition of Polite Fight, the TV analysis show that’s erudite with a light bite, video producer Gus Spelman and editor-in-chief John Teti direct your gaze to the double-standoff sequence that anchored the latest installment of Fargo, “The Myth Of Sisyphus.” A comment by Pray For Mojo on Zack Handlen’s episode review helps kick off our conversation about Lou Solverson’s two tense confrontations with unlawful types. At first, Gus thinks that the sequence was too repetitive, but as we take a closer look, we see that the similarities between the scenes help accentuate the differences between the approaches of the Fargo and Kansas City syndicates.

Gus and I also examine the set dressing and shot framing that make the salon into Peggy’s “house of horrors.” As a hub of casual information-trading, the salon is where the townspeople are liable to piece together the far-flung pieces of the Waffle Hut mess, and Fargo’s reliably purposeful filmmaking helps us feel the building pressure on Peggy.

Saty

Embarrassing a civilian needs needs to teach a Sheriff how do his his job. He wasn't even close to entertaining the idea of a hit-and-run even though all evidence pointed to it. Fucking shoe on the tree, man. Liked how Peggy's trying to shoot the theory down with what i said: who's going to hit someone and drive with his body home? On that front things are progressing okay, i just don't get why the kickstart the plot this season with a more or less inexplicable behavior by Peggy.

Not sure how Mike knows and states as a fact Rye was the shooter and is now likely on the run, and on the other hand his family are none the wiser. Rye's name wasn't in the news, right?

Embarrassing a civilian needs needs to teach a Sheriff how do his his job. He wasn't even close to entertaining the idea of a hit-and-run even though all evidence pointed to it. Fucking shoe on the tree, man. Liked how Peggy's trying to shoot the theory down with what i said: who's going to hit someone and drive with his body home? On that front things are progressing okay, i just don't get why the kickstart the plot this season with a more or less inexplicable behavior by Peggy.

While Fargo is obviously not the true story it claims, that actually happened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gregory_Glen_Biggs

Linius

Mike knows it was Rye because he went to the typewriter guy. He managed to find out typewriter guy was working with Rye. In Cornballers post above you even see the gif of Mike asking questions about Rye's business. That's how they found out Rye was supposed to 'talk' to the judge to hold up his end of the deal. And since Mike ain't no fool it's not that hard to see the connection.

I do agree it's a bit silly they had Betsy explaining the hit and run theory.

-griffy-

Banned

Not sure how Mike knows and states as a fact Rye was the shooter and is now likely on the run, and on the other hand his family are none the wiser. Rye's name wasn't in the news, right?

Plot of last season was jumpstarted by an the inexplicable act of Lester killing his wife with a hammer when a moment of anger gets the better of him. Plot of the film was kickstarted by the inexplicable plot created by Jerry to have his wife fake kidnapped for real in order get money from his father in law. These are all things that normal people don't do, that could be considered inexplicable.

Only none of them really are inexplicable, including Peggy, are they? You can explain them fairly easily by analyzing the character that perpetrates the act. They are all completely unusual behavior that makes perfect sense in the context of that character. They are not rational actions, but actions that none the less can be explained.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
This show would be a whole lot better if it didn't try so hard to emulate Coen brothers-style conversations, since it never succeeds. The plotting and characterization is good enough without it, and it's very distracting.

Linius

This show would be a whole lot better if it didn't try so hard to emulate Coen brothers-style conversations, since it never succeeds. The plotting and characterization is good enough without it, and it's very distracting.

That's just like, your opinion, man

It's been over a decade since I last watched Fargo, the movie, but I own the DVD. I need to get on that.

I'd been wanting to watch it again before I started the show, but now I want to even more-so. I don't remember a whole lot.

ezekial45

Banned
I would hope FX would renew this. It's their one prestige show, and it won an Emmy last year, so that's definitely worth something.

Speevy

Banned

I think it's safe to say that most people watching this show have never seen the film on which the show is based. It's probably more distracting because you know what they're trying to do.

Linius

I think it's safe to say that most people watching this show have never seen the film on which the show is based. It's probably more distracting because you know what they're trying to do.

I can't speak for the US of course. But in my area the only people watching this show are also Coen brothers fans. It's a very specific show with a weird kind of humour. My bet would be that most people who watch this show are familiar with the Coen bros and at least the Fargo movie.

Speevy

Banned
I can't speak for the US of course. But in my area the only people watching this show are also Coen brothers fans. It's a very specific show with a weird kind of humour. My bet would be that most people who watch this show are familiar with the Coen bros and at least the Fargo movie.

Well, I don't meant to say the movie wasn't well known, but it is 20 years old. I happen to be a huge Coen brothers fan.

I do understand what you're saying though. It's like they took an existing script and added little "Minnesota nice-isms" into it, but I think that on the whole it's pretty effective.

This show was probably sold on how different it might be from your average show about crime in a small, quiet town. I agree that the actors are strong enough to play the characters without aping the Coen brothers, but I doubt the screenwriters know any better.

Lunar FC

Well for me personally the only reason I began watching the first season was due to seeing Fargo for the first time a year beforehand and loving it.

Also apparently the other cop Lou was with in the last ep. was mentioned in the first season when Lou first met Gus.

Linius

Well for me personally the only reason I began watching the first season was due to seeing Fargo for the first time a year beforehand and loving it.

Also apparently the other cop Lou was with in the last ep. was mentioned in the first season when Lou first met Gus.

It is Gus his boss.

ub0h25p.jpg

Red Hood

Banned
Is this thread spoiler free? I finished season one yesterday and I really liked it. I loved the dry humour. Started watching season 2 today and I've seen the first two episodes. I don't know, I'm not feeling it so far. And this quote from the OP:

S2 supposedly has a more comedic tone and is also expected to explore early issues of feminism.

I'm not seeing this in the first two episodes. It's so much more serious and gritty compared to the first one, and I don't love this direction. It's like the exact opposite of what I liked from season 1. But it's not awful of course, it's just different so far. Still good.

Also, how many episodes have been aired? I thought the whole season 2 was on Netflix, but apparently it's only updated to episode 3...

Lunar FC

Is this thread spoiler free? I finished season one yesterday and I really liked it. I loved the dry humour. Started watching season 2 today and I've seen the first two episodes. I don't know, I'm not feeling it so far. And this quote from the OP:

I'm not seeing this in the first two episodes. It's so much more serious and gritty compared to the first one, and I don't love this direction. It's like the exact opposite of what I liked from season 1. But it's not awful of course, it's just different so far. Still good.

Also, how many episodes have been aired? I thought the whole season 2 was on Netflix, but apparently it's only updated to episode 3...

This thread isn't spoiler free, so be cautious. Only three episodes have aired so far.

Linius

This thread is not spoiler friendly, after the new episodes air we discuss things without spoilers.

And this is not your typical Netflix show that is uploaded at once. It's an FX show with weekly episodes. So you'll find the new episode on Netflix weekly, we're three episodes into season two now. There will be ten episodes.

Red Hood

Banned
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. Well, I'll be hauling my ass out of here then, I still need to watch episode 3. I'll be joining y'all later today or tomorrow.

Top Bottom