• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

Ok, this quote has sold me on the UFO.

I've been teetering on the edge of deciding if the show jumped the shark and sniffed it's own farts into oblivion, or justifiably managed to subvert my expectations and leave me in awe, but now I'm in the latter camp.

We all saw a fucking UFO. And not one person who doesn't watch the show is going to fucking believe us.

Hah! I like this a lot.

I loved both the UFO and voiceover. Like, I don't think the voiceover was necessary per se, but I thought the way the whole thing was framed as a story from "strange but true crimes of the Midwest" or whatever was really clever and well done.

Was surprised the shootout occurred last night, thought they'd save it for the last episode. Crazy that Hanzee has flipped against everyone. Not sure what to make of that at this point, so I'll wait till the finale. I did not like the narration. Made it feel like I was watching the Grinch. Feel really bad for Lou, nobody would listen and now he may lose both his wife and father in law at the same time.

Moff

loved that this was a hanzee centric episode, the narration with freeman, about how historians wondered about the same things we did in the last episode, was just a great touch. however, I am not so sure it it's ok to say hanzee is a beast like malvo was in the first season, I don't think that does either character justice.

I always knew the ufo was actually supposed to be a UFO, but I was really surprised we would see it this close up. not saying this was necessary, but I didn't hate it either, it was fun and exciting. it surely makes this something special, in a positive way. dunst was great as usual.

all in all another great episode, I wonder if the finale will be even better than the last two.

foxtrot3d

Banned
All that second gif needs is an "Okay, then."

i thought they might save the massacre for the next episode and it would all just be build up this week so was surprised it went down the way it did.

The line from S1 about seeing something ive never seen before or since doesnt really strike me as a UFO line because Lou goes on to say "I'd say it was animal but animals only kill for food" with "it" being what he saw. Taken out of context it sounds like hes talking about aliens but in that conversation hes seemingly talking about human savagery.

True. However, the season ain't over yet.

Ruruja

I did not like the UFO. Ruined what was otherwise one of the best episodes of the series.

I didn't really like it either.

It was interesting to put it there, but I think the show would have been better off without it.

I guess they added the book and the voice-over to try give the impression it's a retelling of the incident given through first-hand accounts, rather than us just watching it, so they could show the UFO (if that's what Lou thought he saw). I'd prefer it if we were just watching it (as we were made to believe over the previous 8 episodes).

- Inside Fargo: The Cars of Fargo
Cars say a heckuva lot about the characters that own ‘em. Go Inside Fargo to see how they help drive the story.

Also noteworthy for this gif:

bmxAUiE.gif

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Liked the episode but didnt like the UFO part. Its weird and I dont feel as if it belongs there.

Linius

Not sure how I feel about the UFO yet. But otherwise a stellar episode. This lived up to the Sioux Falls story I expected.

Bandit1

- Inside Fargo: The Cars of Fargo

Also noteworthy for this gif:

bmxAUiE.gif

Haha! I didn't really even notice that gif, but that's pretty great.

As a car guy it's been pretty cool to see the big 70s cars this season, and I think the Corvair was a great fit for Peggy, but the one car I wanted to see was the 1979 Trans Am, and Fargo delivered! There was one parked on the street in the premier and another in the parking lot near the inn last night.

i854001.jpg

- Tom and Lorenzo on last night's episode:
There is a certain flavor of trickster-god randomness to this story; an almost gleeful perspective that allows for anything to happen at any time because the world is a far stranger and more beautiful place than we can imagine. It’s why Peggy Blumquist can inexplicably become the biggest badass in Minnesota and not strain the credibility of the story. It’s why characters seemingly generated from a Mad Libs session, like poetry-spouting mob enforcers, silent identical twin thugs, death-obsessed butcher shop counter girls, drunk lawyers prone to spewing off-the-cuff rabble-rousing speeches, Native-American ninja assassins, and predatory lesbian beauty shop owners can all co-exist in the same story space and never have you wondering if perhaps everyone’s a bit too colorful to accept at once. And it’s why the timely intervention from a flying saucer can save our heroes’ lives and the audience can be expected to respond with an “Oh, right. I was wondering when the UFOs were coming back.” We wouldn’t blame anyone one bit for thinking that scene was too hard to accept, but we have to say it’s been subtly set up all along. In the context of this story, it’s just one more goofy thing to remind us what a strange, anarchic world we live in.

So, “It’s just a flying saucer, Ed! We gotta go!” is a thing that makes perfect sense coming out of Peggy Blumquist’s mouth at that time in the story. It was also the greatest line delivery of Kirsten Dunst’s entire career and she deserves an Emmy just for making it work so hilariously. Underneath the humor of it, though, is a somewhat beautifully cynical illustration that Peggy, for all her talk of realization and self-actualization, can’t even take the time to recognize a truly awe-inspiring moment in her life. At her heart, whether she wants to ever admit it, she’s a shrewd, practical-thinking survivor with delusions that she’s a dreamer. There are patterns buried within random events, which makes them particularly hard to recognize for the people swept up in them.

In fact, we’re starting to wonder if randomness and anarchy aren’t two of the bigger themes of this season. Or rather, we’re wondering if the randomness of the Blumquists’ lives and the sudden turn of events that sprung from Hanzee’s largely unexplained shift in behavior are meant to be a counterexample to the stories of the Gerhardt family, all of whom have seemingly come to tragic ends and all of whom could be said to be the victim of their own shitty choices and behavior. In other words, it’s “anything can happen” vs. “eventually, you get what’s coming to you.” You set those two concepts side by side in a story like this one and you can make massive death and bloodshed seem like the most entertaining and triumphant thing you could possibly imagine. Mike Milligan’s “Okay, then…” as he surveyed the carnage and quickly got back into his car made for a brilliantly timed and executed coda to the pure manic ridiculousness of the previous hour. We haven’t always loved Bokeem Woodbine’s deliberately sing-song delivery because it sometimes comes off as too much of an actorly affectation, but he nailed the hell out of those two words.

Yes! Totally called Hanzee turning on the Gerhardts. I mean it wasn't really a long con plan, but he never seemed loyal to them out of love for the family.

I don't really have an issue with the UFO. I was honestly really worried about how much it would play into the story when they kept alluding to it and showing glimpses of it. But at the end of the day all it ever did was show up. It's not like they beamed up Bear into their ship and saved Lou.

-griffy-

Banned
The promo shows (possible finale spoilers) -
That last overhead shot we got of Bear and Simone right? Maybe Bear didn't kill her after all?

Hmmm,
if she survived that would make her the heir to the Gerhardt empire, no? Cue season 3 taking place in 2015, with a now older Simone fully in control of crime in North/South Dakota (and Kansas City involved?) and broaching into MN.

Bandit1

Hmmm,
if she survived that would make her the heir to the Gerhardt empire, no? Cue season 3 taking place in 2015, with a now older Simone fully in control of crime in North/South Dakota (and Kansas City involved?) and broaching into MN.

Bear's son is still alive but he'll jail for no telling how long, but yeah I guess it would since she's older anyway. And I was kind of thinking the same thing! But we don't know if she actually is alive yet or that she wouldn't die next week anyway lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
"Okay then". Incredible ep once again. I can take the ufo. At this point, with the foreshadowing in pretty much every episode, it would've been weird if that angle didn't get a payoff.

So the only Gerhardt still alive is... the one who botched a murder and is sitting in jail.

He's still represented by Karl though, right?

hah man I'd completely forgotten he existed.

And I also think
Simone's still alive. I found it hard to believe Bear would kill family.

They actually say what happens to him in season 1.

:eek: really?

I frankly just don't understand how anyone could watch a "true" crime show that inexplicably had a UFO show up in its penultimate episode and not think it's one of the greatest things they've ever seen.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
"Okay then". Incredible ep once again. I can take the ufo. At this point, with the foreshadowing in pretty much every episode, it would've been weird if that angle didn't get a payoff.

hah man I'd completely forgotten he existed.

And I also think
Simone's still alive. I found it hard to believe Bear would kill family.

:eek: really?

I guess it's a bit of a spoiler but it's nothing interesting.

He survives and goes to trial but ends up winning since his lawyers argued that his family made him do everything.

Lou tells someone that in season 1 but I couldn't say to whom or around when in the season it happens. I doubt they actually show that in season 2, though.

Not to jinx it or anything, but the only other show I can remember getting all A's on the AV Club in a season was Breaking Bad Season 5.

The massacre lived up to its name and then some. Kirsten Dunst had the line of the year. BEEEETSSSSYYYYY. Loved the UFO. Like of course there was going to be a UFO.

cyba89

Just catched up with the latest episode.

Uhm... that sure was something. That shootout totally lived up to all the build-up.
I also really liked Freemans narration.

Don't know what to expect from the finale next week. I'm sure it will be another wild ride.

I guess it's a bit of a spoiler but it's nothing interesting.

He survives and goes to trial but ends up winning since his lawyers argued that his family made him do everything.

Lou tells someone that in season 1 but I couldn't say to whom or around when in the season it happens. I doubt they actually show that in season 2, though.

How sure are you of this? I have no recollection of that and can't find anything online about it

I have refused to watch this show until the season is over since I don't want to have to wait week to week. One more week and then I can finally take this ride!

Sane_Man

Hooooly shit. I have never seen anything as insane as that on television! Never in my life!

Funnily enough I was talking about the UFO stuff with a friend a few episodes in when there'd been a few hints and we were joking that the show would end with a UFO coming down in the midst of a shoot out! I can't believe it actually happened!! I can't wait til he sees it. So so good.

I wonder if the same people who didn't like the UFO (BREAKING BAD SPOILERS AHEAD)
also didn't like the plane crash in Breaking Bad. Both were a kind of divine intervention and obviously not grounded in realism, but worked as sublime pieces of gutsy storytelling. I can totally see why both of these events didn't work for some people, but for me they were two astounding moments of television.
Unforgettable. Throw every Emmy at the show.

Top Bottom