• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
to me, the UFO ruined the entire fucking story. It's not Deus Ex Machina because they showed the UFO before, but it's as close to it as you can get. I'm pissed at such a cop out.

Deus Ex machina is only that when the writers write themselves into a corner and insert a random element to solve the plot issue.

to me, the UFO ruined the entire fucking story. It's not Deus Ex Machina because they showed the UFO before, but it's as close to it as you can get. I'm pissed at such a cop out.

This UFO is too much, but the shot to the head not dropping Bear is totally fine.

Either way, the entirety of the events of this season were started by Ry seeing the UFO.

Jonm1010

Banned
Oscar Isaac is probably going to win and that's fine, he was great in Show Me A Hero. Fargo should win for best limited TV series though.
How is Show Me A Hero not nominated in that category? And as much as I love this season of Fargo, Show Me A Hero should not only be nominated, but should run away with it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'm glad Kirsten Dunst has been given a nom. I can't really say if she deserves the win since I haven't seen the other noms, but her role in the series has been phenomenal. And to think, I was kinda dismissive about her joining the cast, now she's stealing every scene she's in.

Yeah, I wasn't even sold on her at the start of the season and now she's the best character in the show.

I really liked this episode. I wasn't thrilled at the appearance of the UFO, but they've been hinting at it for a while now, so I expected it to show up at some point. The show runner talking about it more with EW did make me like the scene more. I don't really think it changed all that much, Peggy's: "It's just a flying saucer Ed, we gotta go," line was both funny and fitting.

Mike's final line in the episode was also pretty damn great. I also really loved the narration throughout the episode, I thought that was a really smart creative decision.

I've loved this season a lot so far, Fargo's such a good show. Can't wait to see how everything ends, and I'm glad they were renewed for a third season.

I think Lou is going to be the lone survivor of this season. I was reading comments on the AV Club and in his conversation with Malvo in season 1 he says something along the lines of (in reference to the Sioux Falls incident) "I'd tell you the details, but you'd never believe me".

I don't remember what the exact quote is, but I think he's the only one who will be left at the end of the day to remember the UFO being there.

Bandit1

Bullets have bounced off of skulls before.

I think we have to assume that Lou's .357 Magnum was loaded with .38 specials, which would make Bear surviving the shot more plausible. There are several real life accounts of people surviving gunshots to the head, and I believe we can safely assume that Bear is running on a high amount of adrenaline during the shootout, minimizing the effects of his gunshot wound(s) to some extent.

I'm just trying to sound smart

Finalow

I don't really see a problem with the UFO flying saucer at this point, and I could agree with the various interpretations posted in this thread.

really enjoying this second season, probably more now than when it started.

rhino4evr

It's obvious that the UFO would be an obvious make it or break it decision. Personally that's what I like most about it. It's completely absurd, but so is the story to begin with. It seems like it doesn't fit, but it actually works.

This is a great season of TV. I think it even topped Mr. robot for me. Which was no east feat. Think this season blows the first season out of the water.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah, and it's not like the UFO blasted a laser through Bear's chest or beamed him up.
Thats the best part, the UFO was pretty much irrelevant other than as a distraction. It could have been a rain of fish or an explosion or a helicopter for all the import it had.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Binged watched the past two days. Amazing season, probably enjoying it more than the first. Everyone is bringing their A-game but I'm loving Kirsten Dunst. I loved her in the car as she was getting excited and talked about how you just get up and go to the bathroom in school, lol.

Turin

Banned
Watching Peggy's evolution has been a real delight in the show.

Also, I loved that little moment when she got pissed off at someone calling Ed dumb.

Just caught up to episode 9. Peggy's line of (paraphrasing here) "Oh it's just a flying saucer, come on" is probably the apex of this season. It encapsulates her so, so perfectly.

And was that Martin Freeman narrating or someone else? Haven't looked into it yet.

Alpende

Just caught up to episode 9. Peggy's line of (paraphrasing here) "Oh it's just a flying saucer, come on" is probably the apex of this season. It encapsulates her so, so perfectly.

And was that Martin Freeman narrating or someone else? Haven't looked into it yet.

It was Freeman. Pretty neat to have him in season 2 in some way

Saty

People, are you watching the show? The UFO intervention wasn't secondary - it was everything. The writers throwing themselves a lifeline and saving the main character from death because he can't die because he was alive in the prior season that took place. Ludicrous. Which was only necessary because 'Fargo' suddenly remembered they can't have real tension in respect to Lou because we know he'll survive so they gave up and made Bear take 2 bullets but continue to power on and show no signs of anything and being able overpower Lou and strangle him to death, but here comes the UFO to save the day that shouldn't have needed saving.

Stop trying to twist around in attempt to salvage that scene in one way or another. For you to love a show do you really need to have 0% issues with it? Take it on the chin and roll on.

Good to have more confirmation Hansee didn't kill the store-owner last episode because he was a prop serving the plot.
More law officers introduced; more stupidity and incompetence. Pulling no punches to move the plot in the desired direction come hell or high-water. Glad to see them butchered. Maybe Peggy was in the right after all not going to the police after her accident. She's better off alone with Ed than the asinine cop depiction the show insists on.

Y'know you're right on the money, shows do need to stop having plots that progress and characters that move said plot forward in a direction. Talk about cliche, have characters do things and stories going somewhere.

Speevy

Banned
I respect the show for its eccentricities, its cast, and its willingness to take some ideas that were born in the Coen brothers' film and run with them.

I think however that the flying saucer, like the fish and the hotel bloodbath from the first season, represent fundamental misunderstandings of what the Coen brothers were trying to say.

There aren't supernatural forces at work that suspend the laws of nature. It's the nature of man to suspend his own sense of right and wrong, and from that hole crawls a series of unlikely scenarios.

The 1996 film looked at life in a small town and asked what would happen if a mild-mannered man surrounded by sickly sweet people were pushed to his breaking point. Jerry Lundegaard is a protagonist who breathes deceit and had every opportunity to fess up, but never did. He only made it worse. He meets Marge Gunderson and despite her best efforts to wring the truth out of him, he sticks to his guns, to the detriment of everyone around him.

They revisited this idea with the first season of Fargo. One man is faced with a choice and has a literal angel and devil trying to get him to do the right thing in the end. So there is once again this story of a small town, seemingly nice people, and a choice that most of us would not make.

Season 2 starts out with a similar setup with the Blomquists. Peggy makes a mistake and instead of coming clean (which would have earned her no prison time given who she hit), she chooses to cover it up and makes her husband complicit. Then there's this whole separate mob storyline that makes everything so much more complicated than it had to be. There are some great characters, though. I especially liked Dodd and Mike Milligan. Terrific casting.

What they missed between these two seasons was that there was a dark truth underneath Jerry Lundegaard's dilemma. The reason why this movie is labeled a dark comedy is not because of any murder that occurs in the film. Rather, it shows how unforgiving the world can be to genuinely good people. All of the Coen brothers films touch on this to varying degrees, actually.

It would have made more sense for Peggy's decisions to get her decent husband killed, but they opted instead for the death-an-episode bloodbath between the Gerhardts and Kansas city.

More importantly though, the core events of this season were hinged not on a choice reflecting human nature, but on a fucking UFO. Even Oh Brother Where Art Thou is more realistic than this show.

I too like to imagine a world where writers aren't able to control their characters and their actions.

"Alright, so then we have Lou shoot Bear a few times, but the big guy doesn't die! He storms over to Lou and chokes the life out of him. And then-"

"Wait, Greg! Isn't Lou alive in the first season? That means he can't die!"

"Oh shit, you're right. And I've already spoken the words out loud, so there's nothing we can do to change it! My God, we've killed the series..."

"The UFO! We can bring the UFO back!"

"I dunno, isn't that Deus Ex Machina?"

"I suppose one would consider the UFO to be Deus Ex Machina if they rightfully understood that us writers can't pre-plan and change these plot threads..."

"Oh well, let's do it anyway. Hey, how do we finish this fake conversation in an entertaining manner?"

*a UFO beams down and shakes its head at some of the posts in this thread*

maxcriden

What's the prevailing interpretation of the UFO? Is it confirmed to be 'real' in the context of the show? We know the story we saw is in the context of a book so it might be a case of an unreliable narrator.

One more time...
Cornballer said:
Hey folks, just a gentle reminder that this is a television OT, and as such, is meant for discussing S2 of Fargo. If you disagree with another poster, your options are to either provide a counterargument to their points or to ignore them. Please do not engage in personal attacks, metacommentary, and sniping as it's disruptive to the thread.

If you do see issues that need to be addressed, such as overt trolling, personal attacks, or anything else, please contact moderation via PM and we'll take a look at it. Please enjoy the show and the discussion in this thread by keeping it focused on the content on screen and supplementary material. Let's try to keep the thread on track. Thank you.

- Clip of Dunst on The Tonight Show from last week (youtube)
- NY Post with a couple of quotes from Zahn McClarnon
How many people has Hanzee killed?
I never actually counted. I think it was 11 in the hotel at Sioux Falls in episode 9. I think I shot 17 overall.

Why did he turn against the Gerhardts?
I don’t there was a specific moment. Probably in the back of his mind he wanted to be independent. Hanzee changed throughout the show; he decided to reclaim his freedom. I think seeing the sign commemorating the 1825 Sioux massacre of 22 killed was a bit of a turning point.

Who was the hardest person for him to kill?
Mrs. Gerhardt [Jean Smart]. She was his adopted mother. We did a couple of different takes of the scene where he kills her. The director had me touching her face for a bit. I thought they would use that one.

Hanzee hardly ever spoke but everything he did was so dramatic. What guidance did [executive producer] Noah Hawley give you for playing the role?
Noah said, “Zahn, I see this character as being still.” It’s not the easiest thing to do. I was hoping a few moments come through. There was a moment where Hanzee takes Floyd [Smart] out. There’s just a flicker of, “I don’t want to do this but I have to do it.” I’m glad those moments came through.

Can you describe the season finale in one word?
“What?!”

Fury451

Banned
What's the prevailing interpretation of the UFO? Is it confirmed to be 'real' in the context of the show? We know the story we saw is in the context of a book so it might be a case of an unreliable narrator.

It's real as far as we know it right now I believe. I watch season one again last week, and Lou refers cryptically to something's towards the end of that season that could be related to seeing the UFO.

I think after we have the finale, it will either come together and make sense in context, or it'll just be what it is. I find it interesting that two characters are killed while being distracted by it though. And both of them are from the same family.

maxcriden

It's real as far as we know it right now I believe. I watch season one again last week, and Lou refers cryptically to something's towards the end of that season that could be related to seeing the UFO.

I think after we have the finale, it will either come together and make sense in context, or it'll just be what it is. I find it interesting that two characters are killed while being distracted by it though. And both of them are from the same family.

Thank you. I read the EW interview and it strongly indicates the UFO is real. Crazy. I didn't quite expect that. Not quite sure how I feel about it but it's not a deal breaker for me or anything.

Blader

This season has been largely excellent, but count me among the camp who thought the UFO was an absolutely awful writing choice that almost sinks the whole thing entirely on its own (which is pretty impressive, to potentially ruin nine hours of storytelling with about a 20 second scene). Just because they've been building up (they haven't really, but just go along with it) to a UFO this season doesn't make its appearance or its impact on this episode any less stupid.

How is it deus ex machina when they easily could have just made Lou's shots take Bear down?

Um...because the writers didn't do that? It's deus ex machina because that's how they chose to resolve the scene. It's not like a plot device doesn't count as deus ex machina if there were other options on the table.

Yeah. And Peggy & Ed has been skirting on plot armor for a while now, the appearance of the UFO doesn't effect the story much.

It single-handedly saves the life of our main character!

This UFO is too much, but the shot to the head not dropping Bear is totally fine.

Either way, the entirety of the events of this season were started by Ry seeing the UFO.

Well, yes, it's totally more normally for someone to survive a headshot or rage through a couple gunshots than it is for a UFO to drop out of the sky.

But the UFO is an established entity in the universe of this story. As an established entiy in the universe, YES, Bear surviving the gunshots and making it to Lou is much more of a contrivance than their appearance. (also, i don't think Lou would have shot Bear in the very specific circumstance he did, if I really think about how the scene went)

The entire season is based upon their interference.To be upset at it now is sort of silly.

Deus ex machina (Latin: [ˈdeʊs ɛks ˈmaː.kʰɪ.naː]: /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/;[1] plural: dei ex machina) is a Latin calque from Greek ἀπὸ μηχανῆς θεός (apò mēkhanês theós), meaning "god from the machine".[2] The term has evolved to mean a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability or object. Depending on how it is done, it can be intended to move the story forward when the writer has "painted himself into a corner" and sees no other way out, to surprise the audience, to bring the tale to a happy ending, or as a comedic device.

You people want too much true in your true crime fiction.

- Via Variety: Critic's Choice nominations:
MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES
Childhood’s End – Syfy
Fargo – FX
Luther – BBC America
Saints & Strangers – National Geographic Channel
Show Me a Hero – HBO
The Wiz Live! – NBC

ACTOR IN A MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES
Wes Bentley – American Horror Story: Hotel – FX
Martin Clunes – Arthur & George – PBS
Idris Elba – Luther – BBC America
Oscar Isaac – Show Me a Hero – HBO
Vincent Kartheiser – Saints & Strangers – National Geographic Channel
Patrick Wilson – Fargo – FX

ACTRESS IN A MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES
Kathy Bates – American Horror Story: Hotel – FX
Kirsten Dunst – Fargo – FX
Sarah Hay – Flesh and Bone – Starz
Alyvia Alyn Lind – Dolly Parton’s Coat of Many Colors – NBC
Rachel McAdams – True Detective – HBO
Shanice Williams – The Wiz Live! – NBC

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES
David Alan Grier – The Wiz Live! – NBC
Ne-Yo – The Wiz Live! – NBC
Nick Offerman – Fargo – FX
Jesse Plemons – Fargo – FX

Raoul Trujillo – Saints & Strangers – National Geographic Channel
Bokeem Woodbine – Fargo – FX

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES
Mary J. Blige – The Wiz Live! – NBC
Laura Haddock – Luther – BBC America
Cristin Milioti – Fargo – FX
Sarah Paulson – American Horror Story: Hotel – FX
Winona Ryder – Show Me a Hero – HBO
Jean Smart – Fargo – FX
These are always an odd set of awards, but it's nice to see some of the supporting cast recognized with nominations.

Top Bottom