• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST Racing League |OT| Here's your Wii F-Zero/Wipeout

Bog

Junior Ace
So I take it this isn't worth getting for someone who has an unopened copy of F-Zero GX in the other room that he still hasn't played?

thefro

Bog said:
So I take it this isn't worth getting for someone who has an unopened copy of F-Zero GX in the other room that he still hasn't played?

I'd probably play that one first since it's amazing even with the hard difficulty.

Celine

Bog said:
F-Zero GX is the best the genre has to offer
with F-Zero X

Poyunch

I actually like that the game limits your phase abilities. I thought it was a pretty shallow mechanic since it rarely asks you to choose with phase to be in (granted I'm still early in the game) and it would eventually get repetitive since the track phase pads aren't dynamic but adding a "limit" added some depth and the AI is pretty tough.

Handling's a bit slippery. That's my only real beef with the game.

uchihasasuke said:
which controllers are compatible with the game?
Everything except the Gamecube controller.

Agent X

So far, I've only played a little bit, but I think it's quite good.

I've noticed that the computer opponents are not exactly pushovers, even on the easiest setting. If you make more than one or two mistakes, then you can kiss first place goodbye.

I would agree with some of the others here in that like the phase mechanic in the game. There's a definite element of strategy to managing your accumulated powerups, and deciding when it's appropriate to switch phase or cash in a few orbs for a quick boost. If you had unlimited phase switching, then it would take away some of this strategy. You're never completely "dead" if you have no orbs, although life will be considerably difficult at times if you're caught empty-handed. It's always good to keep at least 1 or 2 in reserve, especially when racing on an unfamiliar track.

It is a good idea to learn the tracks, especially as a few of them have obstacles or multiple options. For example, you might speed down a section of track with a black path on one side, a white path on the opposite side, with some variation of the obstacles that you'll encounter depending on which side you choose.

The first event (set of four races) wasn't too difficult--I was able to finish the set in first place on my second try, after figuring out some strategies based on mistakes I made during my first attempt. The only part that continued to get me was this one section of the third track with a jump pad.

I've been using the Classic Controller to play, and the control response is excellent.

I don't know if anyone here has mentioned this tip already, but at the beginning of a race, don't hold down your accelerator button. Instead, wait for the countdown to complete, and just as the announcer says "Go!", press the accelerator, and you'll get an instant boost off the starting line.

Tansut

I'd be playing this right now if Nintendo would let me buy Wii points off of them. Everytime I try to do it I get some stupid error saying that they "can not verify credit card at this time."

I've never had an issue before so I'm a little baffled, and disappointed. :(

Poyunch

Tansut said:
I'd be playing this right now if Nintendo would let me buy Wii points off of them. Everytime I try to do it I get some stupid error saying that they "can not verify credit card at this time."

I've never had an issue before so I'm a little baffled, and disappointed. :(
Probably has to do with your county. Don't know why they need that. You can find what county (not country) you live in on their site. Just google "Wii Shop Channel county"

Poyunch

One thing that bothers me is how they don't show the finishing times. I want to know how close or how far I was from someone when I finished!

sfried

Holy shit this game can get pretty hard if you're aiming for 1st. Not "Castlevania/Contra hard", but "perfectionist F-Zero GX hard". Damn you Canyon track!

I didn't realize Phasing costs one bar of boost meter until later on.

Holy fuck, I just tried this out in Dolphin. OMIGODJIZZINMYPANTS

Unfortunately, the audio sounds like garbage (and if you don't use LLE it sounds even worse) and the game stutters occasionally, so playing it on real hardware is a much better option for now. But holy shit, I can't wait to see what Shin'en can do on the Cafe!

OnPoint

Impressions round two:

I finished the first world now, the first two circuits in first place and the last one in second on my first attempt (I'll go back and ace it tonight). While I still think the game would have done better to tie the color switching to a timed, rechargable meter or something like that, the game gets considerably easier the more you practice. I don't even mean in terms of memorizing the tracks, mind you. I was getting first place on tracks I hadn't played even once when I got into the zone.

It's a challenging game, but mostly because you can't screw up at all if you're aiming for first. Rarely will you maintain the pole position if you do, and it's even harder to regain it once it's lost. Dropping from first to fourth following a crash is just a fact of nature in this game. And those who say there's no rubberbanding here? Please. I've raced perfect laps and boosted like a boss through sections and have never been more than 5 seconds ahead of the other racers. Also, I've only ever heard them say I'm either 5 or 2 seconds ahead... did they even record audio for the other numbers?

I think multiplayer will suffer the most. It is absolutely not a pick up and play game, so if a friend comes over who never played before, you're almost assuredly going to win if you're even a little familiar with the tracks and are comfortable with the mechanics.

Regardless, my initial impressions were a bit harsh. I'm liking the game more than I did at first.

jesusraz

OnPoint said:
Also, I've only ever heard them say I'm either 5 or 2 seconds ahead... did they even record audio for the other numbers?
There was meant to be both 'You're 10 seconds behind' and 'You're 20 seconds behind,' but I don't know if they were recorded in the end.

OnPoint said:
Alright, so I spent about 40 or so minutes with this, and I can say that I don't think I really like it for one simple reason: the phasing mechanic is not balanced properly.

I like the idea of switching your color for boost pads. I also like the idea that when they're on the ceiling you need to match your color and flip upside-down. I do NOT like the idea that you can't switch at will if you don't have a power-up to do so.

Granted, it's the only power-up in the game, and you can store several at a time. But if you boost along a straight away and drain your meter (they use the same one, boosting just takes more energy, like four instead of one), you can really screw yourself if you're heading straight toward a wall and need to switch for a jump pad.

Should you need to learn the tracks? Yeah, this will help prevent you from draining your meter completely when critical spots are coming up. But there doesn't seem to be a free-play mode in single player to do so. And if you drop from first to fifth in FAST, there's next to no chance you're coming back to win against the computer because there's next to no variance in how they race -- they're like perfect, pre-recorded ghost laps and boost at what seem to be the perfect points. I found that if I boost into first place right away and race cleanly, the computer can't touch me either and I'll spend the entire match two to five seconds ahead. The game is missing some sort of variable to balance that out.

It's a shame too, because the makings of a truly great racer are here, but these two details are killing it for me so far.

Are you seriously complaining about the absence of rubber banding and the fact that you need to manage your powerups and can't just mindlessly splurge them away?
Smh.

OnPoint

SneakyStephan said:
Are you seriously complaining about the absence of rubber banding and the fact that you need to manage your powerups and can't just mindlessly splurge them away?
Smh.

Did you read my secondary impressions two posts above? I pretty much recanted that. But anyone who says this game doesn't rubberband is silly. It definitely does, but pretty much just to keep up with you.

I think you should be able to switch colors but I do not think you should (and did not state that you should) be able to splurge the boost.

heringer

Well, decided to take the plunge. Bought the game. Played a little bit and I like it.

It looks so, so good. Can't believe this game was made by five people, running at 60 fps and with the Wiiware limitatons to boot. It's crazy. I also like the artstyle and audio. Presentation is very slick overall.

Motion controls are very well done too. If you're like me and play your Wii racers with the Wii wheel, this game won't disappoint.

Well, that's about it, didn't play long enough to have more in depth impressions. :p

thefro

heringer said:
Yeah, saw that video yesterday. That's fast enough for me!

Waiting for more impressions though. Still no reviews?

I beat all 3 cups in the 1st class and the speeds get significantly faster in the next cup. You also unlock new machines that are even faster than the initial couple vehicles you start with. Controls are smooth. Framerate rock solid. Music is decent but nothing amazing. Lots of variety in courses for a download title. Really like the phasing mechanic.

The challenges are a nice addition.

heringer

Played a little more. Game is definitely challenging, even on the easier leagues. Really liking it so far. Love the phasing mechanics.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That fast cup video looks sexcellent, they should just hurry up and make a sequel on 3DS with online play and street/spotpass features, DLC and more tracks and what not. Even if they don't use shaders much and only up the texture resolution and variety a bit it will look bloody brilliant and they might just be able to get it published in retail too if they're quick enough. They should be able to maintain 60 fps without any sacrifices too, since the Wii game runs at 60 fps while rendering twice as much in the 2 player modes, while a portable version will obviously not need split screen, just local/online play. It would certainly beat the shit out of the racers by the big publishers. Love the craft design too.

heringer

Ugh, now I'm frustrated.

The AI definitely cheats. Sometimes I hear that I'm 5 seconds ahead and one second later, without any mistake of my own, a racer passes flying through me.

Also, this game has a huge flaw: you can't replay races or free play any course. So, if you want to learn the last course of a cup you have to play all the three races first. It's dumb.

Shame, because the core gameplay is really tight.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
heringer said:
The AI definitely cheats. Sometimes I hear that I'm 5 seconds ahead and one second later, without any mistake of my own, a racer passes flying through me.
Don't the boosting power up stuff make short work of such distances when activated? How is the seconds ahead time calculated in such a game anyway, that the next dude in line reached the last checkpoint 5 seconds after you? Doesn't seem very accurate. Sucks there's no single race mode, but maybe it will make the single player last longer? Sometimes restrictions that may seem dumb work to the gameplay's favor, like the no quit without saving modes of Mount&Blade that you'd hate in a different title.

heringer

Alextended said:
Don't the boosting power up stuff make short work of such distances when activated? How is the seconds ahead time calculated in such a game anyway, that the next dude in line reached the last checkpoint 5 seconds after you? Doesn't seem very accurate. Sucks there's no single race mode, but maybe it will make the single player last longer? Sometimes restrictions that may seem dumb work to the gameplay's favor, like the no quit without saving modes of Mount&Blade that you'd hate in a different title.
Even though the boosting can take care of the difference, it's ALWAYS on the third lap. It's a pretty shameless rubberband. Game is still fun though, and I just learned that you can't do a few cheap shortcuts. Hey, if the game can cheat me I'm definitely going to cheat back!

Manmedaz

heringer said:
Ugh, now I'm frustrated.

Also, this game has a huge flaw: you can't replay races or free play any course. So, if you want to learn the last course of a cup you have to play all the three races first. It's dumb.

Shame, because the core gameplay is really tight.

Well, that is only partially true. You do have to beaten the leagues in the first level of difficulty in a row, but once you did beat it, you can use the time attack mode to train. This is especially useful since the game becomes harder on higher difficulties and your mistakes cost a lot more then.

heringer

Manmedaz said:
Well, that is only partially true. You do have to beaten the leagues in the first level of difficulty in a row, but once you did beat it, you can use the time attack mode to train. This is especially useful since the game becomes harder on higher difficulties and your mistakes cost a lot more then.
I stand corrected then. Good to know. :)

But oddly enough, the second cup of the second league wasn't as tough as the first cup, and the IA appeared to be more fair. Maybe because there are a lot more ways to crash.

OnPoint

Manmedaz said:

There's a time attack mode? I'll have to find this later tonight. That erases yet another complaint I had about this game...

sfried

This guy has discovered some insane shortcuts. It's Rainbow Road 64 all over again...

Man, I wish they came with a soundtrack CD. I love the title music. It's like some weird futuristic yet soothing track. Shin'En and their music never disappoint.

sfried

VariantX said:
Damn rainbow road 64 don't have anything on these shortcuts one of em literally bypasses the entire track
Well, he is using the fastest ship to pull these off at later classes, so perhaps not all of these are possible most of the time.

OnPoint

sfried said:
This guy has discovered some insane shortcuts. It's Rainbow Road 64 all over again...

Man, I wish they came with a soundtrack CD. I love the title music. It's like some weird futuristic yet soothing track. Shin'En and their music never disappoint.

Insane. Just insane.

Hmm just tried out the demo. Though it's just 1 track, the concept and the whole package did impress me more than I would have thought.

I'm a HUUUUUGE F-Zero fan and I could defintely see some resemblance here and there.

I'm still on the fence wether or not make a full purchase (it's pretty cheap, but I'm pretty low on money as I'm currently without a job).

But if it offers as much fun and replay value as a full game my wallet would probably want me to get this :p

Any strong recommendations/criticism?

NEO0MJ

My main problem with this game is that it doesn't have that move in F-Zero/Wipeout where you press L/R to turn faster. Throws me off. Didn't play it much, though.

OnPoint

Hmm just tried out the demo. Though it's just 1 track, the concept and the whole package did impress me more than I would have thought.

I'm a HUUUUUGE F-Zero fan and I could defintely see some resemblance here and there.

I'm still on the fence wether or not make a full purchase (it's pretty cheap, but I'm pretty low on money as I'm currently without a job).

But if it offers as much fun and replay value as a full game my wallet would probably want me to get this :p

Any strong recommendations/criticism?

Pros:

- It has the F-Zero/Wipeout aesthetics
- It controls well

Cons:

- Unflinching AI
- Heavy emphasis of trial and error in course design

I found it somewhat enjoyable, but you literally have to race perfectly to beat the computer.

Top Bottom