• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Demo Sampler Discs/Cartridges/CD-Roms

Persona7

Banned
My favorites are the one that came with the Dreamcast, that had the first level of Sonic Adventure and an arena from Powerstone. I played that demo a lot. Also, there was a NiGHTS demo that came with my friend's Sega Saturn that had the first level of each character. We played that demo so many times. That demo was pretty special actually, because those two levels are still some of the best designed levels in that game.

I played that damn demo so much before I bought power stone.

Samer

I kinda miss the PSX era, where I had no Internet and I was eagerly waiting at the beginning of the month for the new PSX magazine to arrive to my local kiosk and play the hell out of the demos.

This was lost in the PS2 era (at least in Spain), as the magazines stated that shipping a monthly demo DVD was too expensive. The magazines which included demos were like 6,99€ for Xbox, so I couldn't afford them.

Now it's all downloadable via stores, and although I don't have to wait for the magazine to arrive or pay anything for it, It's been a long time since I played a demo. I don't know if I'm the only one.

There was a demo of Final Fantasy VIII, which basically contained the early mission in Dollet in some form.

Some really cool differences between the final game too. Different CG cutscenes! Squall's wearing his normal clothes and has a different facial model. Different music. I actually much prefer the demo music for the opening CG scene. Rinoa's in your party and even shows up in the CG.

Demo_to_game_comparison.png

Many more details here http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VIII_Demo

I remember an old demo disc that came with some computer magazine, and it had an extensive video of Halo, before when it was being made for computers and there was no hint of an Xbox exclusivity.
Not just for computers, for Macintosh computers.

It was exactly this CD. The very first PAL (German) PS1 Demo from 1995.

Playable

Battle Arena Toshinden
Destruction Derby
Loaded
Wipeout

Trailer

Jumping Flash
Rapid Reload
Ridge Racer
Tekken
Total NBA (controllable camera)
Twisted Metal
Starblade Alpha
Warhawk

Other

Dino
Manta
V-CD

Wipeout and this T-Rex blew me away and I thought THIS is the future ;)

Sampler CD's blew my mind when they started coming with gaming magazines.

The very first PS2 demo disc or maybe it was the 2nd from Playstation Underground had the ICO demo on it, among others and I played it so much. Never bought the full game until the HD release :/ haha

My most played demos were the MGS 2 demo of course and the DMC demo that came with Code Veronica on PS2.

Whereas MGS 2 was a game I already knew I was going to get day one, the demo of DMC sold me on that game.

javac

I think I remember having a demo disc with kula world on it unless I had the retail copy of that game. I loved that game.

Mother of god, all of these, even the Winter 2000 JamPack. Also Official PlayStation Magazine Discs 26 (dat Blitz 2000 and Cool Boarders) and 50 (dat Spider-Man 2, X-Men Mutant Academy 2, Spyro 3, Tekken 3, Barbie Explorer Twisted Metal 2 aaahhhhhh this is like my favorite demo disc ever), plus the old JamPack with Xena, Tony Hawk 1, Bloody Roar, Ridge Racer and Elmo, ha. Interactive CD Sampler Vol. 5 with Crash 2 and PaRappa the Rapper was the first thing we had when we got our PlayStation...

Alright, I'm gonna have to leave this thread now. I'm can't handle all this nostalgia. Shout outs to my neighbor with the Dreamcast demo disc featuring Sonic Adventure 2, Rayman, and I think NFL 2K and Tony Hawk 3.

Oh man, this thread is making me cry. So many good memories...

Thread has done me proud. This is why I mess with y'all.
Rq6PpCY.gif

Did anyone ever get a NeoPets demo sent to them? I dont remember the name of the game and I surely had no reason to be interested but I admit I played it once. It was long as crap!
This thing:
$(KGrHqF,!q0FEHN(eE9mBS(G2ogUDw~~60_35.JPG

I had a PS1 demo disk with Crash Team Racing and Jade Cocoon on it. The CTR demo had the stage where you race Papu Papu on the full game, and it may have been one of my most played games on the console.
My PS2 had a demo for Klonoa 2 and Dark Cloud, which I sadly still haven't bought.

Sanctuary

The demo for the first Armored Core. Didn't think much of it initially while messing around with the single player, except that the animation was great. Then, when I realized you could play multiplayer on split screen, a friend and I played the hell out of it and eventually bought the game soon after.

Zeth

One of the more recent ones: Xbox Mag Ninja Gaiden demo. Came out about a month before release if I recall correctly. And I played it about every day until the game came out.

Synless

I used to love those PS1 demo discs. You thought you played all the demos and bam! Hidden demos behind some of the other ones.

KaiPow

Banned
I can't even begin to search for the pictures I want, but there were two that stood out.

One was a Pizza Hut demo disc that came with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. 1, maybe 2. Whichever one had Goldfinger's Superman song on it.

The other was some trippy sega cd collection. It had Jimi Hendrix with some weird music 'video' if you'd call it that and I think some demos on it too. Sol Feace comes to mind, but I think I owned that game separately.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
One of the more recent ones: Xbox Mag Ninja Gaiden demo. Came out about a month before release if I recall correctly. And I played it about every day until the game came out.

Z0049053.jpg
*looks at top right corner*

"Start KOTOR with maxed-out stats and tons of money!"

These kinda things were free cheat codes back in the day. Now they come in microtransactions. I feel old now.

*looks at top right corner*

"Start KOTOR with maxed-out stats and tons of money!"

These kinda things were free cheat codes back in the day. Now they come in microtransactions. I feel old now.

I don't know which makes me feel older; Tenchu on the top left or the KOTOR cheats on the right. Tenchu died and no more cheat codes smh.

I have this, I am not seeing Capcom vs SNK anywhere?

lol you sure that's the one you have? I'm looking at Cgun-Li right underneath Exhibition.

dcx4610

mnnrG7IbhIiF_eIrUabWPHQ.jpg

This came with the Sega CD. I didn't have a CD player yet so getting music and little clips from a disc was pretty mind blowing at the time.

But the grandaddy of all demos goes to....

Quake Shareware

mAG0r9CKUWNpwPqwbetR6vA.jpg

The disc cost $1.99 and was available at stores like Babbages and Electronic's Boutique. I'm sure most know the story but for those that don't, the CD contained not only the shareware version of Quake but also the full version of the game along with Doom, Wolf3D, Heretic, Hexen and a few other games. It also had the complete soundtrack to Quake by Nine Inch Nails. The idea was to unlock those games, you would call a phone number, pay for the game, get a special code and then unlock it from the disc. It didn't take long for that to be cracked...

Top Bottom