• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite game mods. Any good ones?

Just got Doom 3 a few days earlier than I expected. Anyone know of any decent mods for it? How's that Co-op mod that they were working on? Any others you'd like to recommend?

Any mods for Farcry for that matter? When I looked around, it didn't seem like people were all that enthusiastic about modding for it and lots of them weren't available for download.

What the heck is this? No one talks about mods on this board? :(

I guess I'll start. Last night I tried the Parallax bump mapping replacement for Doom 3 last night. Can't decide if I like it or not though. It does seem to add a 3d effect to the textures but on the other hand it tends to overemphasize the specular highlighting, making things a little overly shiny and bright.

I'll take some pictures in a little bit to compare.

calder

dofdpc0b.jpg

Best mod ever. And is coming from a looong time CS whore.

Freelancer had some great mods. But yeah Valve has (deservedly) the best mod community around and there will be incredible stuff released for HL2. Didn't PC Gamer or PCXL have an article about how some ppl thought that mods were actually hurting the industry? This was back during the full boom of CS and all the Quake 2 mods (anyone else miss ActionQuake 2 as much as I do? how about LM-CTF?) when some industry types were wondering if maybe the eternal popularity of a few games due to ongoing modding was making it tougher than normal for new games to launch.

I expect HL2 to have some great mods but it's not out yet and it usually takes some time for some mods to really mature.

What kinda bugs me about the mod community is that you'll see some great ideas that they have and then they half-ass the execution. Like they'll spend maybe 2 months on it and then leave the project because "Too busy to work on it".

I know people are doing these on their free time but I kind of wish they'd stick with them. :(

I know that'll get me a few "but they're free! don't complain", BUT STILL! My point still stands. :)

Some of those Parallax mod comparisons I mentioned before. Anyone else try this mod? Supposedly it's a rewritten shader script or some junk.

compare1.gif

compare2.gif

Phoenix

The Shadow said:
I expect HL2 to have some great mods but it's not out yet and it usually takes some time for some mods to really mature.

What kinda bugs me about the mod community is that you'll see some great ideas that they have and then they half-ass the execution. Like they'll spend maybe 2 months on it and then leave the project because "Too busy to work on it".

I know people are doing these on their free time but I kind of wish they'd stick with them. :(

I know that'll get me a few "but they're free! don't complain", BUT STILL! My point still stands. :)

Donate money to the projects and they would be more likely to stick with them.

Vlad

I'm currently a big fan of the Galactic Conquest mod for Battlefield 1942. It's basically a Star Wars mod, but it's done really well. There's a few of the basic conquest maps, but also some more involved objective maps, like one recreating the attack on the Death Star from the first movie, or one with two groups of player controlled capital ships slugging it out, complete with fighters and everything.

The best part of it is that the maps, classes, and vehicles are all really well done, so the best part of the mod isn't so much that it's got a Star Wars theme, but that it's an interesting twist on gameplay that just happens to have Star Wars vehicles and stuff.

Top Bottom