• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite song (with lyrics) in a videogame?

Matlock

Banned
...with the advent of CD quality music in games, it's brought on a whole lot of licensed and commissioned tunes with both song and lyric. What's your favorite?

For me, it's a tie between Cold - With My Mind and Katamari on the Rock (stage 1 extended).

I love the cheesy escape from the city theme on the first level of Sonic Adventure 2

Other worthy mentions:

Liberi Fatali (Final Fantasy 8), The Best is Yet to Come (MGS)....

these don't have lyrics but I love em: The MGS2 opening theme, track 57 - Staff Credits (Wind Waker), Beyond Good & Evil's first battle and spaceship battle, Smash Bros Melee opening, probably loads more I can't think of.

Miburou

#1 Somnia Memorias: Parasite Eve.

Runner up, Song of Mana: Legend of Mana.

Kind of interesting that the two songs are in Spanish and Swedish, respectively.

Senretsu

The song in the cg intro of Soul Edge (PS) had some really cheezy vocals and lyrics but I remember liking it. Can't remember the name of it.

Renegade

Banned
XXTRA SUGAR!
XXTRA SALT
XXTRA OIL

AND MSGGGGG!!

CHILD BIRTHDAY
THE BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY CAKE!!
CHJILDS BIRTHDAY

you know my love is sweet.

Matlock

Banned
Senretsu said:
The song in the cg intro of Soul Edge (PS) had some really cheezy vocals and lyrics but I remember liking it. Can't remember the name of it.

TO SHINE!

"Edge of Soul" is the name of it.

Vagabond said:
XXTRA SUGAR!
XXTRA SALT
XXTRA OIL

AND MSGGGGG!!

CHILD BIRTHDAY
THE BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY CAKE!!
CHJILDS BIRTHDAY

you know my love is sweet.

Birthday Cake! Yes!

Loki

Count of Concision
Castlevania: SotN -- "I Am the Wind" (this song is better than half of Celine Dion's songs that came out around the same time and were hits :D)

MGS -- "The Best Is Yet To Come" (I think; it's the one where she's singing non-english words, very high-pitched vocals; played during the ending I believe)

el jacko

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. I guess I'll just repeat some and tack my favorites on as well.

- Rika Muranaka, The Best is Yet to Come (Metal Gear Solid)
- Suzi Kim, The Edge of Soul (Soul Edge)
- Day After Tomorrow, Starry Heavens (Tales of Symphonia)
- Christophe Heral, Akuda House Propoganda (Beyond Good & Evil)
- Yoko Kanno, Dreams in a Pie (Napple Tale)
- Namco feat. Kenji Niinuma, Getsu to Oji (Katamari Damacy)
- Namco, Sakurairo no Kisetsu (Katamari Damacy)
- The Humble Brothers, EpiCentre (Sim City 4)

Also, I think Can't Say Goodbye to Yesterday by Rika Muranaka (from Metal Gear Solid 2) needs to be mentioned. Not because it's good (it isn't) but because there's an OCRemix of it that totally kicks ass (and is infinitely better than the original).

Pimpbaa

Ugh, I can't believe 2 people mentioned the song from the credits in SOTN. That horrible horrible song almost ruined the game for me (definitely ruined the ending). It just doesn't fit with the game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Pimpbaa said:
Ugh, I can't believe 2 people mentioned the song from the credits in SOTN. That horrible horrible song almost ruined the game for me (definitely ruined the ending). It just doesn't fit with the game.

imo, it's one of the worst vocal songs I've heard in a game. Chaos Legion's is pretty horrible too, but that game wasn't the greatest so that doesn't matter :p

The Best Is Yet to Come - MGS
Nocturne - SoTN
Hikari - KH
Joker - Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Wish - Shenmue
Flying - Tales of Eternia

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
snake eater - mgs 3 (er, i think it's the remixed version that i like)
stepping wind (a.k.a. wahoo stomp) - klonoa 2
getsu to oji - katamari damacy
magical girl - jet set radio

...really everything on the katamari and jsr soundtracks.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Nas- The World Is Yours
From Tony Hawk's Underground

and for the elite,

Blue Blue Skies Daytona Usa Saturn

I waaaaaanna goooooo sky hiiiiiigh let's gooooooo tooogeta!

Jim Bowie said:
Moba Moga by Orange Lounge in DDR Extreme.

What? Not kosher?

Totally kosher, but get it straight - it's from IIDX 5th Style!

Not to mention that FuriFuri '60 rocks its ass. :D

As for my faves, probably "Fire Fire," "Keep Your Head Up," and "Treasure" from Um Jammer Lammy. And everything Drohne said, o'course.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
MGS ending theme.
Soul Edge/Blade intro cinematic theme (horrible lyrics aside.)
Liberi Fatali

spangler

The song makes me physically ill but the fact that I can still sing that "Living in the City" song from the Sonic R soundtrack makes it my "favorite" in a sick kind of way. Physically. Ill. Jesus.

Future

Most of everything has been said, but I'll add

Panzer Dragoon Orta - Anu Orta Veniya
Zone of Enders the 2nd runner - Main Theme
Katamari Damacy - Intro

For some reason I kinda dig, in a vomit inducing kind of way, is the Escape From the City - Sonic Adventure 2 song too. Hated it while playing the game, yet somehow it managed to find itself on the Ipod anyway

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
actually, does anyone have a link to a snake eater mp3? or both versions of it, if there are two versions? i only have it on that music video, and the sound quality sucks. pm me if necessary.

cvxfreak

Simple and Clean/Hikari - Utada Hikaru (Kingdom Hearts)
Whatever the name of the Silent Hill 3 intro song is and whoever the singer is

OmniGamer

KinesisKoncrite said:
Nas- The World Is Yours
From Tony Hawk's Underground

and for the elite,

Blue Blue Skies Daytona Usa Saturn

I waaaaaanna goooooo sky hiiiiiigh let's gooooooo tooogeta!

Isn't it "I waaaaaanna flyyyyyy sky hiiiiiigh let's gooooooo tooogeta!"?

jett

D-Member
The Best Is Yet To Come is my favorite. Just an awesome piece.

Legend of Mana's Song of Mana comes in second.

Top Bottom