• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 & EPSXE

I wanted to play through it again so I picked up the game, but epsxe will only play as far as the Sony Computer Entertainment of America thing then it goes to black. The drive keeps spinning but there's no display.

Ive had problems like this before when CG needed to play. Suggestions?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Actually, after that logo, it loads the credits sequence...which is not CG.

If you could, list the plug-ins you are using and the settings for each. It makes a HUGE difference...

I would also recommended making an ISO of the FF7 disc, as accessing from a PC CD-ROM drive causes some serious issues during transitions. It runs MUCH smoother from the HDD.

I think itd be better to get a list of plugins that work well for you, and ill dl them from somewhere ;)

I generally use pete's stuff.

Gattsu25

Banned
Visual: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.5
Sound: Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41
CD: ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2 (I use Winxp)

(Sound settings)
Audio Device - DirectSound ... Buffer size - 64
"Wait for XA buffer is free" enabled
"Update before accessing register" enabled

Video in a sec

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, I'm not at my home PC right now...so I can't be too specific.

For drive access, I use CDR Mooby. It is designed to read ISO images, which I really do recommended. For normal CD access, however, I use P.E.Op.S. CDR.

For visuals, I use Pete's OpenGL2 PSX plug-in. It has a great set of filters and can really pump out some nice visuals.

I use different sound drivers, though, depending on the game. P.E.Op.S. DSound and Eternal SPU are the two common ones.

Check for any special toggles in the plug-ins related to FF7 and try using Mooby's plug-in + FF7 ISO.

Buy a PS2 or PSOne and keep it

PSX games look quite awful when running on the original hardware. Emulation has finally reached the point where most games run perfectly. I resort to my PS2 whenever there is a problem, but I prefer using emulators. Also, PSX output on an HDTV is EXTREMELY pixelated...

OGL2 huh? Ive been trying the D3D stuff, but maybe thats part of the problem. Im using the same cdrom driver. I can try the ISO thing too. How do I rip the ISO to HD?

Gattsu25

Banned
I used Dark10x's settings for video:

(Resolution and colors)
Fullscreen - 1024*768 - 32bit
Internal X res - 1.High
Internal Y res - 2.VeryHigh

(Textures)
Filtering - 4.Extended
GFX Card RAM - 128
HiRes Textures - 0.standard
"Use pixel shader for 'PSX texture window' emulation" enabled

(Framerate)
Use FPS limit
FPS limit (60fps)

(Compatability)
off screen drawing - 2.extended
framebuffer effects - 3.full
framebuffer upload - 1.standard

(Full screen filters)
"Screen filtering" enabled
"Shader effects" enabled (1.FullscreenSmoothing . . . Level - 4.Maximum)

(Misc)
"Scanlines" enabled
"MDEC Filter" enabled

Gattsu25

Banned
Note: dark10x's original video settings draw in 800*600 and it looks great at that...I actually recommend that resolution despite it seeming low

MAF - I hear Alcohol 120% can be used to rip CDs into ISO...but I have no idea how that works or how to find it :b

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i really have to try epsxe now that i've got a decent pc sitting around. i've been meaning to replay klonoa anyway. where would i download all these plugins and such?

Top Bottom