• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Light

Just because he works there doesn't mean he can't have a personal opinion :)
Also Wonder Woman's face does look awesome with the new lighting

Really? I felt like his animations were really lacking. NRS has done better with this archetype before.
Who have they done better with?

Sayad

Pros: No worries about DP whiff on distances and crouch/stand, so consistent BnBs. Air and ground blowbacks are great. Felt like air version was a bit hard to anti air against since her hurtbox seemed to shift her safely. Ground had a good vertical hitbox which was unexpected. New QCFx2+B/D super gives her time to possibly safejump midscreen unlike her other super. Does good damage with one bar since super canceling doesn't cost an additional meter.

Cons: Her routes are way shorted in the corner. A version of Diamond Breath knocks up like usual on hit but you can't even get st.B reset off of it like before. C version can only be converted off of if you landed it point blank. If it's too far, you don't get anything off of the hit. I feel like hitbox for it is pretty reduced as well. After Ray Spin into slide followup, Counter Shell doesn't work anymore if you wanted to opt for hard knockdown. Only followup you can get is DP. Max Mode combos are pretty underwhelming without extending combos all that much. Maybe the EX moves are good in neutral, I didn't check.

She still feels decent. I think consistent BnBs along with DP super confirm is what made her lose a lot of what were staples. So the tradeoff makes sense. Still a great battery, I put her first or second in my team slot. Was hoping for some 02 stuff for routes but it's not happening. j.C seems like it can crossup (it actually happened in matches, but I didn't test whether you really had to block the other way) which is good. But it's again like the games where it's very picky on when and where it'll work. Curious on what her frame data ends up for moves like Diamond Breath.
Thanks for the write up.

wonder woman's face looks good in motion, I thought. Then again there hasn't been that much footage.

I don't know why the animations are still as janky as Injustice 1, though. MKX was a huge improvement over other NRS games.

NEO0MJ

My brutha.

6PlRXhI.gif

Line_HTX

Other than those two and characters that were in the demo, I used a lot of Geese and Nakoruru.

Geese felt good still. New Raging Storm input is easy and does a lot of damage. Ground game feels strong in XIV, so characters have to pick their timings on hops more carefully. Nakoruru is interesting, I like her. She doesn't have the greatest footsie buttons at the moment for a BnB, but she has good things like a good anti-air that hits somewhat behind. Her specials are good and feel pretty safe. Even one of her supers is safe with the bird (but I haven't had someone try GC Roll against super canceling on block).

I like the game overall though. Playing mostly '98, I feel more at home than I did for XIII since I was bad at 02 which shared similarities.

Thanks for this. Good that it feels more like '98.

I feel Julia/Jaycee has a good chance of showing up.

But poor old me. I mained Ogre and Jinpachi in TTT2 and those two have zero chance of returning. I knew that was likely when I picked them up but they were too fun.

Kazumi is more poke heavy but they're sorta....kinda..alike. I think it would be a nice transition for you.

I was thinking about this while browsing cj_iwakura's essential GAF fighters thread.

If the Daigo Full Parry at EVO never happened, would 3rd Strike be as beloved as it is? I think that one moment cements the game as "best fighting game" in the eyes of many people.

It's probably a dumb question, but I am curious to know what you folks think about it.

shaowebb

I keep wondering if the backdash shot from Deadshot that ricochets off the ground and goes up hits twice. Like a low before the ricochet and a high afterwards. If so I'm just wondering if it'd have uses on wakeup when you're back is near the corner or something. Probably just part of a string though.

Love that the Harely in this game is a different one with a non RNG based power this time around. She needed a change. Diggin her ballbat moves too.

I was thinking about this while browsing cj_iwakura's essential GAF fighters thread.

If the Daigo Full Parry at EVO never happened, would 3rd Strike be as beloved as it is? I think that one moment cements the game as "best fighting game" in the eyes of many people.

It's probably a dumb question, but I am curious to know what you folks think about it.

it's probably a significant part of it, atleast in the non-Japanese FGC

Pompadour

Well, you have to realize that thread was on a gaming enthusiast forum and most of the votes were from people who participate in the various fighting game threads. So I imagine most people who play games aren't even aware of Street Fighter III so a game like SF2, Smash Bros. Melee or a Mortal Kombat would have been voted "best fighting game" if they were all polled.

That being said that moment definitely made people aware of the game. But, despite the jokes, I assume most people who voted 3S did actually play the game. Frankly, I like it for a ton of reasons aside from the gameplay (stellar animation, music, SFX). But the game is extremely fun despite its flaws (and I have yet to see someone present a perfect fighting game).

shaowebb

Also Wonder Woman's face does look awesome with the new lighting

Yeah, a lot of us have been trying to point out that early builds wont have the lighting finalized, or all the maps like ambient occlusion or reflect or whatever done yet. Most people are so into the whole "shit on early builds" thing with fighters though that no sense can be spoken to em. KOF, NRS...any fighter will look better in later months than early ones. You just don't finalize stuff like lighting and extra maps to polish up your models early on or you often have to do it all over again later as changes are made. It just ends up being more work.

I expect even more polish as we go. Hopefully word gets around and folks start to understand these things more in casual circles so that we dont see such loud knee jerk backlashes to pre alpha build graphics in other fighting game dev cycles later.

FACE

Banned
NRS faces still look bad.

Also I don't understand why people can't criticize "early" builds, if the marketing department thinks that shit is good enough to be shown to the public then you bet it's good enough to be criticized.

Perro

NRS faces still look bad.

Also I don't understand why people can't criticize "early" builds, if the marketing department thinks that shit is good enough to be shown to the public then you bet it's good enough to be criticized.
Just like the first KOF14 trailer.
Game got defecated on by everyone.

Yeah, a lot of us have been trying to point out that early builds wont have the lighting finalized, or all the maps like ambient occlusion or reflect or whatever done yet. Most people are so into the whole "shit on early builds" thing with fighters though that no sense can be spoken to em. KOF, NRS...any fighter will look better in later months than early ones. You just don't finalize stuff like lighting and extra maps to polish up your models early on or you often have to do it all over again later as changes are made. It just ends up being more work.

I expect even more polish as we go. Hopefully word gets around and folks start to understand these things more in casual circles so that we dont see such loud knee jerk backlashes to pre alpha build graphics in other fighting game dev cycles later.

I disagree man. You put it out for the public, Its open for critique and praise. Things fail apart and get compromised at the end of projects too.

miku

"Justin Wong is free" - Daigo Umehara 2014, 2016

BadWolf

Justin gonna Ohoho Daigo out of Capcom Cup.

;P

Hopefully he will go into the lab after losing to Mago this weekend, he seemed very clueless against the character.

At least he seems to have the Necalli match up down now and finally took down Haitani.

Dlent

Xrd is the only game in my recent memory that was well received at first glance. Maybe KOF 12 looked good before we knew anything about it.

Line_HTX

Xrd is the only game in my recent memory that was well received at first glance. Maybe KOF 12 looked good before we knew anything about it.

Hell, even vanilla Tekken 7 was shitted on for its looks, and rightly so before the drastic visual change in FR with the UE4. It is so night and day. I think they got the hit sparks effects right this time and not too much like KI hit sparks, lol

Hell, even vanilla Tekken 7 was shitted on for its looks, and rightly so before the drastic visual change in FR with the UE4. It is so night and day. I think they got the hit sparks effects right this time and not too much like KI hit sparks, lol

I still want an option to get the old alpha hit sparks back. Shit looked cool to me lol.

mbpm1

Played a bunch of KI online srsly for the first time

Me: Man, there are so many interesting characters. All their designs are so unique. There's much more variety here than in SFV.

Me: Only picks General Raam.

welp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom