• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

3 of those things are personal hang ups to be honest.

Though granted there are way more than 3 bad decisions made for MVCI anyway.

No doubt. I hope the game does well, and I plan on tuning in to tournament play to see what's cooking. I think the gameplay is really fun looking, and Capcom has a potential GOAT fighting game on their hands in that regard. I just can't get over my own frustrations, and it would be ridiculous to force myself to buy the game right now just to oppose those frustrations.

I'm also not really desperate for a game to play right now, you know? Hearthstone and HotS are a lot of fun right now, and I'm exploring SFV more. I need to sit down and explore BBCF 2.0's Nine as well.

And the musculature on his arm is different because the shaders are different. Try harder to shill next time

I'm not talking about the shaders. Look how his left forearm bulges downward near his glove in the MvCi image vs the flatter forearm in the MvC3 image:

UzqFSOTudYelgFDcZM6OoaYsvNKq1786iBfy1YXSQS4.png

NZLb8e7.jpg

kikiribu

^ all that pic did was remind me of how ugly MvCI looks with those mobile game aesthetics. Recycle the animations but don't recycle the superior art style. Makes sense.

Capcom WHY

Maybe they meant RIP his career? Not sure what happened or what's gong on in his personal life but hopefully he's well in some capacity.
Maybe his depression wasn't an act after all. I do hope he's ok. I don't find Goo nearly as entertaining

shaowebb

Jussssssst killing time till Tuesday and MVCI by drawing, playing Wipeout Omega Collection and some Senko No Ronde 2. Forgot how subtle the inputs were on Wipeout and spent the first like 4 races fishtailing trying to steer like its mario kart lol. Suuuuuuubtle taps of direction and airbrakes only.

Gonna try to polish some Senko No Ronde 2 later. Been awhile since the main series and I had only been playing Genso no Ronde which feels different. Sadly I haven't had time to play at all till today so its a good lazy time. Hoping Senko no Ronde 2 makes it into Frosty Faustings this year as the mystery game tourney. I really need to go this year...it has MVCI, TVC, Puyo Tetris, Vampire Savior, Catherine, and Arcana Heart Six Stars. Whole tourney just seems great and loaded with a ton of niche stuff I love seeing as well as a ton of other stuff.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
JoJo ASB:

Kars VS Young Joseph:
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28657026

Kars is a 'Mode' character (push style or 22Style to get something like Max Mode from KOF). Kars' Mode 1 powers up his specials by making them slightly faster and more damaging. On top of that, it makes all special moves that use his sword unblockable (including his super). Mode 2 pushes this even further, by making ALL attacks that use his sword unblockable. You essentially have to run away while he has his mode on.

His main special is 214A, a stationary launching kick that can be done in the air. This sends the opponent to the wall which allows him to start his strong vortex game, or set up his transformation. His other specials aren't so hot, as they tend to have very specific uses.
His teleport has three different versions: and overhead, a low that hits from behind, or he teleports backwards. This seems super scary at first, but you can beat all three versions be either running forward, or side-stepping as he teleports, then punish. He has a multi hitting sword swipe that erases projectiles, but it has a ton of recovery and if the last hit doesn't connect, it leaves him wide open even on hit. If it does hit, it gives Kars a little bit of advantage, allowing him to try some cute maneuver as the opponent tries to counter attack. He has a lunging sword attack that hits from the front, then back, but it doesn't count as a cross-up and is punishable. It can clash with attacks to beat them out, but this attack is mostly for combos.

His super is a screen-filling blade attack that does decent damage. It has excellent recovery as well and can be hard to punish unless you're at point-blank range. With Mode, it becomes unblockable. Great for finishing people off.

Most people use his base form as a means to transform as quickly as possible, but I think it has its merits. Kars is pretty fast and can mostly hang with the rest of the cast.

Kars' ultra is a transformation that permanently turns him into Ultimate Lifeform Kars. This takes a long time to work, so you'll have to set it up by launching the opponent across the screen to give you enough time. Once transformed, Kars is a completely different character, only sharing some normals. He gains a giant tentacle anti-air, various projectiles (opening up taunt combos), hamon attacks, and the ability to fly. Flying constantly drains his meter, but he does not need meter to fly. During flight he can shoot projectiles, or dash forward and tackle the opponent. The tackle has very high priority, and is super hard to punish. You're better off just being patient when he's in the air. He can cancel moves that normally are punishable into flight to stay safe and carry on his offensive. Once he is transformed, he can no longer use Mode, or any supers. He does do enough meterless damage to make up for it, though. A very safe, pesky and scary character to face, especially since not very many people play Kars, so you'll be in the dark.

Overall he's pretty good, but it will take time to squeeze the potiential out of his base form, and make the best of his transformation. He lacks some universal, multi-use tools, but I suggest picking him anyway, just to get a feel for his Ultimate Form.

He's also a good example of the tier lists being so tight for this game, as he's the character Spin King used to win the Evo side tournament!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
tell us how you really feel
Gameplay animations at least are genuinely terrible.

Art style is kind of personality-less, but that's kind of how I view most DC things in general. MvC:I has some Injustice-esque stages where they try to flood a space with a million different random things too and I hate it.

It's crazy how the art can be so good in MK but so forgettable in Injustice. The dark and grungy look in Injustice 1 makes it an incredibly aesthetically unpleasing game.

shaowebb

I want fighters to go back to being examples of good graphics for systems

Killer Instinct got you covered bud. Came out in 2013 and still the graphical champ with or without all the hype dressing up with particle effects, yelling and screen shaking.
Lets compare.

https://giant.gfycat.com/IndelibleFrequentBighorn.webm
https://giant.gfycat.com/SparseSingleJapanesebeetle.webm

Damn...I really need to play more of KI. Its been too long since I played that fun thing. Eagle is so damned hype. Nothing more troll that killing a dude by having his Robo-bird suck the arrows back up to reload me and catching them with the arrows as they fly back to the bird lol.

Numb

inj2 looks nice

Killer Instinct got you covered bud. Came out in 2013 and still the graphical champ with or without all the hype dressing up with particle effects, yelling and screen shaking.
Lets compare.

*edit* lemme get a full 1080p vid

Damn...I really need to play more of KI. Its been too long since I played that fun thing. Eagle is so damned hype. Nothing more troll that killing a dude by having his Robo-bird suck the arrows back up to reload me and catching them with the arrows as they fly back to the bird lol.

Graphic wise there is no issue
The aesthetic is the problem with some western fighters

shaowebb

Honestly I feel that MVCI really just needs shader work and some face lifts. The UMVC3 shaders were so much better and would help this title so much.

Onemic

Lets compare.

https://giant.gfycat.com/SparseSingleJapanesebeetle.webm

I really dont agree with KI being the best looking at all. Even in the technical sense. Id say it's easily on the lower end of the graphical scale relative to other current gen fighters imo.

shaowebb

I really dont agree with KI being the best looking at all. Even in the technical sense. Id say it's easily on the lower end of the graphical scale relative to other current gen fighters imo.

NoVyPyC.gif

No way is KI on the LOW end of anything lol. Best is likely Guilty Gear or DBFZ though, but yeah and nothing low end about KI graphics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly I feel that MVCI really just needs shader work and some face lifts. The UMVC3 shaders were so much better and would help this title so much.
Lighting tweaks on certain stages (XGard), and more stylized shaders and textures would make a night and day difference. It's just inconsistent in those regards currently. Nova's armor looks like it's made from hyper-realistic metal while X looks like he's made of some brushed aluminum, while Haggar's skin looks like it's coffee-dyed paper mache.

I just don't think there's a good scenario where making stylized/abstracted/cartoony characters look more realistic to fit alongside more realistic characters works out. You gotta go in the other direction.

NoVyPyC.gif

No way is KI on the LOW end of anything lol. Best is likely Guilty Gear or DBFZ though, but yeah and nothing low end about KI graphics.
Didn't KI have really poor IQ for the longest time? Or are we just talking about a PC version here? I remember it looking really rough at launch.

kikiribu

KI looks bad tbh. It has the same boring look that I don't like about Injustice except it's nowhere near the quality of Injustice either. Particles don't save it.

Onemic

NoVyPyC.gif

For you.

Id say GG, DBFZ, T7, IJ2, and even SFV look better than KI when you take in everything including the animations.

The game suffers from the whole hit spark phenomenon of new gen games in 2013 and underneath that on a technical level the game looks fairly flat shader wise. Even that gif you provided could be confused with a 360 rendering of the same gears character tbh.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
ASB is the worst thing ever made
It was until they patched the hell out of it.

They did Persona Arena
That makes them overqualified in my book to do stand battles

I'm okay with this as long as it has Stan-On and Stand-Off. I also agree with chocolate disco that we don't need another twitch-reflex super fast fighter.

Numb

It was until they patched the hell out of it.

I'm okay with this as long as it has Stan-On and Stand-Off. I also agree with chocolate disco that we don't need another twitch-reflex super fast fighter.

I blame myself for self hype and importing day 1
Worst way and time to experience

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
I thought i hated Johnny for stealing Gyro's MC spot
My dislike grew even further as JYP Johnny players on ASB crawled on the ground in lag as i try to hit them

If it helps, Gyro is like, top 5 I think.

Johnny is usually a sitting duck with only his act 1 DP to protect him. Now, Johnny on his horse with Act 4? That crap is a nightmare.

Netcode is still really bad. I won't pretend that the game is perfect, it just really jives with me and I think it's worth looking at and adding to the fighting game diversity. Lots of neat ideas in here.

Numb

If it helps, Gyro is like, top 5 I think.

Johnny is usually a sitting duck with only his act 1 DP to protect him. Now, Johnny on his horse with Act 4? That crap is a nightmare.

Netcode is still really bad. I won't pretend that the game is perfect, it just really jives with me and I think it's worth looking at and adding to the fighting game diversity. Lots of neat ideas in here.

He has balls of steel while Johnny can't even use his
full

I'm glad companies fix their fighters instead of just dropping. Also din't expect much from netcode

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
He has balls of steel while Johnny can't even use his
full

I'm glad companies fix their fighters instead of just dropping. Also din't expect much from netcode

Eyes of Heaven was some kind of something, though. It was 'ok', but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wasn't disappointed when it wasn't ASB2. It sold like crap compared to ASB so who knows what they'll do next.

Numb

Eyes of Heaven was some kind of something, though. It was 'ok', but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wasn't disappointed when it wasn't ASB2. It sold like crap compared to ASB so who knows what they'll do next.

The PR for ASB was next level and most of it sells came from week one. Even Famitsu gave a perfect score if remember correctly. Then people realized and ASB discs were returned everywhere

I didn't even get Eyes of Heaven but if it was ASB2 i would have if they learned from the first one

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
The PR for ASB was next level and most of it sells came from week one. Even Famitsu gave a perfect score if remember correctly. Then people realized and ASB discs were returned everywhere

I didn't even get Eyes of Heaven but if it was ASB2 i would have if they learned from the first one

Well, for Eyes of heaven they released two demos throughout the games development, then opened a website where people could type their feedback and suggestions. If they didn't do that, the game would have been waaaaay worse. So I 'think' they are thinking about these things. At the very least, EoH didn't launch with that exploitative campaign mode. They at least learned not to do that, lol.

Numb

Well, for Eyes of heaven they released two demos throughout the games development, then opened a website where people could type their feedback and suggestions. If they didn't do that, the game would have been waaaaay worse. So I 'think' they are thinking about these things. At the very least, EoH didn't launch with that exploitative campaign mode. They at least learned not to do that, lol.

Just stop CC2 from putting their hands on JoJo
Stick to Naruto
I would have 100% taken a Naruto fighter with JoJo skin instead. The tag teams can be stands

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Just stop CC2 from putting their hands on JoJo
Stick to Naruto
I would have 100% taken a Naruto fighter with JoJo skin instead. The tag teams can be stands

Hmmm. I think in it's current state there are a lot worse first attempts at a fighting game than ASB. What CC2 needs to do is stop with the really crappy game launches. With ASB2 the biggest thing would be 60fps and good netcode. The rest is tweaks. But they've got to release it without any big issues or crappy ideas that tank the reception of it.

I think I'm going to give MVCI a try. I've made worse impulse buys on games, and it's not like I have other shit to pay for right now. I'll be down to play anyone on pc when the game drops.

shaowebb

I'm just glad DBFZ exists to potentially fill the void

Same. There needed to be anew 3v3 assist title after 7 years.

This is gonna be a helluva renaissance for tag fighters honestly. We got...
  1. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
  2. Dragonball Fighter Z
  3. Blaz Blue Cross Tag Battle
  4. ehh...Blade Strangers?

Thats 4 games. 3 of which are looking really solid at the moment. Plus its not like we also dont have a ton of other fighters to play on top of these. The following have all got tournaments still lined up for them all the way through next year or are new and coming out and may or may not get stuff.
  1. Street Fighter V
  2. Blaz Blue Central Fiction
  3. Injustice 2
  4. Tekken 7
  5. Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
  6. Killer Instinct
  7. Arcana Heart Love Max Six Stars
  8. King of Fighters 14
  9. Them's Fightin Herds
  10. Kamen Rider Climax Fighters
  11. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
  12. Ultra Street Fighter 2 The Final Challengers
  13. Arms
  14. Pokken Tournament DX
  15. Smash
  16. UNIEL st
  17. Chaos Code New Age of whatever you call the sequel
  18. Gundam Vs stuff
  19. Nitroplus Blasters
  20. Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition
  21. Koihime Enbu
  22. Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
  23. Aquapazza
  24. Vampire Savior

And I aint even mentioned rare things that pop up here and there like my TVC fave or different editions of GG or SF. This is a ridiculous era for fighting games we live in right now.

Top Bottom