• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

SaikyoBro

This might be a strange place to ask, but does anyone have a room at Final Round tonight with room for one more? I was planning on leaving tomorrow but for a couple reasons I wasn't expecting it would be much more convenient to leave tonight - only problem, I don't have anywhere to stay. I have a room for the rest of the weekend, but not tonight.

I definitely don't have a problem throwing some cash for the night, anyone have a room or know someone who does? At the venue or otherwise.

Negaduck

Does anyone remember any old marvel lore about spider Dan getting Shuma gorath nerfed during a beta?

I can't remember which game it was from. Mvc2? Like chaos dimension being 2 meter or something.

I swear I remember hearing a story like this.

Dahbomb

Does anyone remember any old marvel lore about spider Dan getting Shuma gorath nerfed during a beta?

I can't remember which game it was from. Mvc2? Like chaos dimension being 2 meter or something.

I swear I remember hearing a story like this.
First time hearing of this but there were a ton of Marvel 3 and UMVC3 beta stories.

The best one was Ghost Rider's Pillar attack having insane vertical reach and Justin abused it a lot against PRRog's Wolverine which got Ghost Rider nerfed. Viscant was the oe who exposed this story.

Vergil's Spiral Swords (no extra meter for the secondary formations) were even better as were Phoenix's feather attacks.

Craziest internal rumor I heard was that there actually was a balance patch planned for the game which was the basis for a ton of rumors within the FGCs back then. Notables included stuff like Wolverine's instant overhead nerfed. They were apparently working on something before it got canned.

Negaduck

First time hearing of this but there were a ton of Marvel 3 and UMVC3 beta stories.

The best one was Ghost Rider's Pillar attack having insane vertical reach and Justin abused it a lot against PRRog's Wolverine which got Ghost Rider nerfed. Viscant was the oe who exposed this story.

Vergil's Spiral Swords (no extra meter for the secondary formations) were even better as were Phoenix's feather attacks.

Craziest internal rumor I heard was that there actually was a balance patch planned for the game which was the basis for a ton of rumors within the FGCs back then. Notables included stuff like Wolverine's instant overhead nerfed. They were apparently working on something before it got canned.

Yeah it's such an old ass story. I swear it was something with spider Dan and getting someone Hella nerfed during a versus game beta. Maybe I'm mistaken but I'd be every Bison buck I have on this lore. Mshvsf?

This is gonna keep bugging me.

ultra will continue untill they put my boy hugo in SFV!!!

I like the rumor that the big bodied silhouette is Abigail from Final Fight, which makes me think that Capcom wanted to put Hugo in SFV, but remembered that they were putting in characters that are "new to the SF universe", and decided on putting Abigail in instead.

I'd laugh if Capcom had a Poison-looking silhouette, but it turned out to be Roxy.

Village

Hugo was lucky to leave 3rd strike thanks to xTekken
Seeing him again is..
We need Azam first

I would throw azam out of a fucking window for Hugo. Andre the giant mother fucka

I like the rumor that the big bodied silhouette is Abigail from Final Fight, which makes me think that Capcom wanted to put Hugo in SFV, but remembered that they were putting in characters that are "new to the SF universe", and decided on putting Abigail in instead.

I'd laugh if Capcom had a Poison-looking silhouette, but it turned out to be Roxy.

Abigail wont do it for me.

I need my german son.

Kumubou

Yeah it's such an old ass story. I swear it was something with spider Dan and getting someone Hella nerfed during a versus game beta. Maybe I'm mistaken but I'd be every Bison buck I have on this lore. Mshvsf?

This is gonna keep bugging me.
From what I remember (and there's no real way to look this up as all of the really old forum posts on SRK from this era got wiped eons ago), it was Shuma in MvC2 that got nerfed, but it was because someone found that Chaos Dimension was doing something like a flat 70% damage in combos, regardless of the damage scaling from the preceding combo. He could basically get easy touch of death combos with enough meter in that loketest build.

This occurs more than you would think. For another old example, IIRC the reason Yunsung was bottom 1 in SC2 was for similar reasons -- basically due to a top Japanese SC1 player earfing people with him in loketests, to the point where Namco nerfed him into oblivion. I suspect developers nowadays know that players are going to keep anything "good" they find under wraps and that the whole test/feedback cycle has turned into a dumb meta-game of its own. Nowadays we see that for the entire life of the game, as people complain for buffs/nerfs in the next patch on social media.

Doomshine

YES! Lord lupinko

C6ngml8VoAALepR.jpg
C6ngmlyV0AAb3_F.jpg

shaowebb

Been at work for the past 2 weeks and went to check and see if the Arcana Heart RENT tourney or TVC dolphin tourney were happening tonight.AH is taking a small break so I didn't hurt their turnouts thankfully. TVC is on tonight for those wanting some sets!

Signup for the Dolphin TVC tourney folks! 4pm EST today March 11th! Its great fun.
You can get setup by Checking out the TVC Dolphin Discord! It has all the info and help you could want to get goin with it
http://tvcnetplay.challonge.com/THVLBB9

After all you occassionally get to see situational awareness like this moment from FadedRevolution where he realizes Chun's super only hits so many times and that half the hits were taken by his assist. Baroque combos to 100% kill daddeh!
https://giant.gfycat.com/AromaticScholarlyKrill.webm

Can't compete?
Check out the twitch tourney live or enjoy the archive of the past tournies!

Just wanna stream monster and troll? Try out the TVC Bingo board! Thats right...there are some things so ridiculously TVC that we turned them into Bingo cards to play along with during tournies! Grab a card, hit the chat at 4pm est, and troll away rooting for folks to do stuff like Baroque counter the pushback on a megacrash combo breaker attempt or hope for someone to win with Joe the Condor's counter for style points!

I'll get off night shifts thursday morning, flip on friday and then I'm scheduled to work 70 days straight for outage...but at least its day shift letting me play tournies if they still happen in the evening online I guess so hopefully I can start doin these again if they dont work me 12rh - 16hr shifts.

Nuu

Banned
Jesus Christ. Talk about a HUGE drop-off for Street Fighter V.

Last year there were 1021 entrants.

This year it's only 468...less than half...

I realize last year was new game launch fever, but god damn. And it seems it effected the other games as well.

S2 Urien and Guile are doing more to sell SFV for me than anything. They feel like the first SFV characters that can actually do stuff and aren't odd gimps where everything is made awkward in some way.

MrCarter

Jesus Christ. Talk about a HUGE drop-off for Street Fighter V.

Last year there were 1021 entrants.

This year it's only 468...less than half...

I realize last year was new game launch fever, but god damn. And it seems it effected the other games as well.

That's a given considering the game has been out more than a year. EVO Will be down this year too. Like you mentioned even the other games are down, which is clearly down to them and not SFV.

S2 Urien and Guile are doing more to sell SFV for me than anything. They feel like the first SFV characters that can actually do stuff and aren't odd gimps where everything is made awkward in some way.

The newly released Kolin is very original and dynamic too. Looking forward to the rest of new season 2 characters.

Nuu

Banned
That's a given considering the game has been out more than a year. EVO Will be down this year too. Like you mentioned even the other games are down, which is clearly down to them and not SFV.
Maybe they are down because less SF players registered for them? I meab from what I see people rarely sign up for a single game at a tourney.

MrCarter

Maybe they are down because less SF players registered for them? I meab from what I see people rarely sign up for a single game at a tourney.

I doubt it. If the players are there for a specific game they enjoy they will sign up regardless.

Negaduck

From what I remember (and there's no real way to look this up as all of the really old forum posts on SRK from this era got wiped eons ago), it was Shuma in MvC2 that got nerfed, but it was because someone found that Chaos Dimension was doing something like a flat 70% damage in combos, regardless of the damage scaling from the preceding combo. He could basically get easy touch of death combos with enough meter in that loketest build.

This occurs more than you would think. For another old example, IIRC the reason Yunsung was bottom 1 in SC2 was for similar reasons -- basically due to a top Japanese SC1 player earfing people with him in loketests, to the point where Namco nerfed him into oblivion. I suspect developers nowadays know that players are going to keep anything "good" they find under wraps and that the whole test/feedback cycle has turned into a dumb meta-game of its own. Nowadays we see that for the entire life of the game, as people complain for buffs/nerfs in the next patch on social media.

Thank you fellow maester. My heart said Mvc2. Also found a spider Dan using Shuma on a marvel super heroes fightcade video.

Top Bottom