• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
C9nzR6XVwAEPux6.jpg

sakoo pls

Now kith.

Negaduck

Oh yeah, I don't know if anyone has had a chance to check out that new indie fighter 'punch planet'. But that game is Hella fun.

I played that game any chance I got all weekend. It controls really well and has a really open system.

Oh yeah, I don't know if anyone has had a chance to check out that new indie fighter 'punch planet'. But that game is Hella fun.

I played that game any chance I got all weekend. It controls really well and has a really open system.

I had never even heard of it. Will check it out.

Negaduck

Sirlin's game was getting a lot of promotion all weekend at NCR, has anyone played it?

I was personally not a fan at all. It felt sluggish and slow. The damage and balance is all wacky (I did a super and it did 1hp? At least give me 2).

They have characters from other games basically in it (there is a guy who is almost exactly slayer. Almost move for move).

Maybe I'm just not the target demo. But I have no interest in it after playing it.

People enjoyed it though, but I'm all about punch planet. That game plays and feels soooooooooo good.

It has cool Roman Cancels (punch planet), parries, short hops and 3p3k.

https://youtu.be/U0AnJX3oUkE

It was the game I had to go back to anytime they set it up (Yo Dog was so OP. he's gonna get super nerfed.)

Got to play against alucard a few times. It's really fun when someone knows the game.

Re:fantasy strike.

It reminded me of a not as fun rising thunder.

Double edit: not to shit on something people did have fun with, it has potential. If the damage was better adjusted and maybe a turbo mode? And some Polish on the animations. It could be fun.

Just not for me personally. Props to anyone who did have a good time with the game.

Negaduck

that guy just has a gun, thats my type of character

And you can hold the punch button to charge the shot (I don't think it adds damage, but you can delay the shot). And if you press K you cancel the shot and can do shot feints.

If you get a full screen shot you can cancel to super for Hella damage.

The girl cid has an electric knife on her punch buttons and her specials. You can charge those normals and specials for better frame advantage. She does stupid damage haha.

Dahbomb

Yipes is definitely right, we need to stop with the usage of "thuggery" by the time Marvel Infinite drops.

... But we know that's not going to happen.

Nyoro SF

Depends on whether a group comes together with at least a roughly compatible vision. There's about half a dozen people experimenting with the inner workings of the game right now, but I feel like I'm the only one pulling his weight at breaking everything down. I'm the one who's documented about 95% of the stuff on this page so far. And there's some stuff that I don't really know where to start with (actual animation tweaks, hitboxes), so we kind of need some more technically-inclined help.

For the time being, I'm focusing on breaking apart one specific character (Morrigan) to see how everything related to that character works and how it all links together. Then that knowledge should be able to be applied to any other character in the game.

Good luck, I'm rooting for a nice fan rebalance.

Heh, just noticed the XF duration values...

vulva

Sirlin's game was getting a lot of promotion all weekend at NCR, has anyone played it?

I played it at PSX, obviously I'm only one person, but man what a piece of garbage it was.

The worst part of it can be fixed, it had awful performance (tons of dropped frames, inconsistent frame rate) which lead to inputs not coming out properly. That's something that can be fixed though, so I'll just assume that was the result of it being a WIP.

The core of the game, though, is just not good. The idea that there's no crouching/lows moves the game in to way too simple of territory. That basically means you only have to worry about throws if you're blocking. Do you know how you tech throws though? You don't hit any button at all and it will beat out the throw. Not only does it tech the throw, but it also deals damage. This lead to me winning a few matches without hitting a button.

The cool down system and one button inputs seemed off to me, but I never played a moba or rising thunder so I'm not the best to judge it if I'm being fair. Overall, though, it was just a clunky awkward game that wasn't remotely enjoyable.

shaowebb

Still stuck at work but I've been breaking in the GPD win pocket pc with my steam games some. Blade Arcus reminds me of golf...way more fun to play than watch. Got some jank shader and lighting minimalism and some weak looking animations peppered throughout it but DAMN is it's cancel system and 3 levels of assist moves good.
I been playing Rick who had Marth like sword normals and nearly all his heavies and mediums cancel into stuff on hit or block. Considering his range, that he has a slide and that he has moves that reflect projectiles, wallbounce, or juggle he is a pressure machine. I'm definitely convinced folks have been playing to conservative given all the meter and what Rick plus the cancel tools built in prove is possible in this game.

Sure made the gpd win heat up though. Can't wait for my stylus to arrive for art.

NEO0MJ

The core of the game, though, is just not good. The idea that there's no crouching/lows moves the game in to way too simple of territory. That basically means you only have to worry about throws if you're blocking. Do you know how you tech throws though? You don't hit any button at all and it will beat out the throw. Not only does it tech the throw, but it also deals damage. This lead to me winning a few matches without hitting a button.

Pokken also didn't have lows/highs but it did have the attack triangle to mix things up.

Negaduck

You beat throws in fantasy strike by not pressing a button.

You afk on the controller and you get a 'yomi counter'

Edit: I'm dumb and missed that part of vulva' s post.

Yeah I pretty much agree with vulva on the game. Personally not a fan at all.

CO_Andy

"thuggery" will never get old. never

BonChan totally trashes SFV in the latest BornFree interview, comparing the game's devs to "babies" when it comes to balancing

mbpm1

"thuggery" will never get old. never

BonChan totally trashes SFV in the latest BornFree interview, comparing the game's devs to "babies" when it comes to balancing

It's already old.

Find another meme already.

The time to complain about teabagging was at least 12 years ago. But like most Marvel players, Yipes is stuck in the past.

It's new to the fgc. We're back in 2005 for that stuff rn

Zissou

I was curious and donated to Sirlin's patreon a week or two ago to get access to fantasy strike. I've probably played it for around 20 hours at this point. I've only played against a single opponent- somebody who was interested in fighting games, but hadn't spent enough time to even do stuff like inputs for specials consistently, so he'd never really 'played' a fighting game before. My quick thoughts:

-It feels like a real fighting game (unlike Divekick or something like Nidhogg, which kind of hint at the ideas in fighting games while not actually being fighting games).

-My opponent was able to quickly get up to speed and access the actual strategy of the game very quickly despite having very limited fighting game experience.

-Despite my previous point, I destroyed (and continue to destroy) the dude I'm playing against. Fighting game fundamentals very much apply (general spacing, pressure on wake-up, poking/whiff punishing, etc.)

-The characters are clearly mostly mashups of existing fighting game characters' movesets. Whether you see this approach as uninspired rip-off or somebody just using the existing 'canon' of traditional fighting game moves is kind of subjective.

-I didn't really have any problem with just attack vs throw being the default grounded mix-up. Chip can be a threat as well.

-One button specials/supers can kind of lead problems you'd expect, like people reacting to too many things easily with invincible moves. It seems like they're taking efforts to mitigate this though- a lot of the invincible stuff has significant startup or some other significant drawback.

Overall: the game mostly feels like a very accessible fundamentals-based fighting game. At very least, I think it already accomplishes the goal of letting somebody with zero fighting game experience nearly instantly have access to a 'real'(ish) fighting game. It's hard for me to tell how much longevity it'll have given that 1) the game is unfinished and 2) my only opponent is inexperienced in the genre so it's hard to get a feeling for the game's skill ceiling.

Regular attacks beat throws, throws beat counter attacks(pretty much red focus but without meter), and counter attacks beat regular attacks.

There are also high and low crushes, like a 3D fighter. And super armor was on some moves to help plow through somethings, but you still have to keep in mind when it was active or not.

But generally from watching the high level play, they prefer to play zoning and not deal with RPS (at least during the time of Evo). Which is probably one of the reasons why the game took so long at tournaments, when characters like Suicune and Braixen are trying to space characters out for a whole round. The gameplay style might have changed by now since they had changes with the arcade version and a new character.

Shouta

You can deal a ton of damage when you get in close in Pokken so it's not surprising that zoning is a thing that gets focused on. Having to play the Triangle and losing half your life bar is rough. Zoning is also pretty much built into the game with Field phase anyway.

You can deal a ton of damage when you get in close in Pokken so it's not surprising that zoning is a thing that gets focused on. Having to play the Triangle and losing half your life bar is rough. Zoning is also pretty much built into the game with Field phase anyway.

I played Charizard at Evo (and at Dreamhack Austin but that was when it was really new) and this is basically how I felt going about my matches. Just get in and hope my damage/risk ratio punched their face in. I was so happy when I beat a Chandelure my first match....then I lost against a Suicune (to be fair, it was some japanese schoolgirl and everyone was telling me she would win the pool and she did lol) and a Braixen. I was happy that I won rounds due to hail mary fire punches, but man, it's like playing Gief, then when you get close enough, a freaking laser pokemon from out of nowhere shoots a satellite beam at you and ruins your work.

Beckx

thanks for the Fantasy Strike info. Is it weird that it's funding via Patreon?

watching Tekken top 8 NCR now, so goddamn entertaining. this game needs to come out now.

Beckx

I am just not seeing what the big deal is with Bronson's actions. (I mean, does he come off annoying, sure, and personally I don't like that kind of stuff, but that was all so tame.)

Also MarkMan and TastySteve with godlike commentary in top 8.

Beckx

i didn't say it was funny, it was more just annoying and loud, but based on what I heard before watching I was expecting something biblical, not a high pitched badgering. it was just like I said, tame and i don't think he meant anything hurtful. I don't get why it's a big deal is all i'm saying.

he shut up every time he lost so the solution seems pretty straightforward

I just remembered people in the gaming thread on teabagging decided i was a horrible person for not seeing an issue so maybe i should keep my mouth shut haha

Kumubou

Fighting games still have netcode from 2005, it only makes sense that teabagging is new to them too.
That's insulting to netcode from 2005. I remember playing the test versions of Quakeworld back in 1997 and that worked better than most fighting games do today.

Would you pay $50 to $100 for this? Because that's what they're charging.

https://us.musterbrand.com/en/brands/street-fighter.html

Not a chance.

Around the time that Street Fighter 4 first came out, I remember the clothing company Triumvir made some Street Fighter related clothing that I thought was really good looking. It wasn't stuff that looked like the above clothing--it was actually good looking t-shirts and coats with some original designs and good official SF artwork.

I don't think they exist anymore, which is unfortunate.

Wow you met Bronson? I'm both jealous and impressed!

No scrub I actually know & have trained with Bronson. I have his # & have been over his house multiple times. The way I play I based on the legendary 5 pieces of advice he gives & it hella works. Guy is an asshole but at the same time the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

I am not sure if this is a persecution complex or just self aggrandizement. Do you think people hate you that much that everyone related to you is tainted by association or that anyone cares that much?

No...wtf. The point is Bronson is like me but way worse when it comes to talking shit to people. So if my tame shit talk upsets people, I can't imagine GAF liking what Bronson did.

Top Bottom