• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games: Summer Jam, HK CPTA, SCRII Prelude, X-MANIA XVI! PAX PRIME & MORE

ICKE

Banned
Phenom gave it away. That is what happens when you don't have the experience and mental composure.

The difference between an upcoming player and an established tournament player.

I-hate-u

Why are the chat saying Snake was robbed? Was it a USF4 PS4 glitch that made his controller disconnect, or the PS3 driver/converter?

Swarna

Why are the chat saying Snake was robbed? Was it a USF4 PS4 glitch that made his controller disconnect, or the PS3 driver/converter?

Just scrub-talk. EX Kick has enough invinc to stuff U2. Even if Snake got that 1 match it would still be 3-2 Die.

mbpm1

Flash kick went through cos EX has dat invincibility.

Normally EX is in fact the counter to U2, uppercuts usually beat it. But Snake Eyez is smart so he does it late when he expects an EX.

But the game engine didn't care, maybe Snake Eyez did it too early or too late bc there was enough invincibility still to escape the grab effect

Duxxy3

Tech issues run on both ends. PS4 should have better support, but players need to adjust to controllers that work for the PS4.

TheShah

ex flash kick definitely does not beat U2. Its nowhere near as good as Ryus ex dp. I've gotten hit by it too many times.

Tripon

Dieminion is firmly into Capcom Cup: 36 + 128 = 164 which would put him 15th right being Justin Wong.

And Snake Eyes: 88 + 64 = 152, which puts him 16th after Dieminion.

Clawww

since the controllers are wireless even when plugged in, perhaps the game itself could disable inputs from anything but the P1 and P2?

I-hate-u

The U2 thing is fine, I don't think Ultra PS4 is missing the correct frames for the moves.

But that controller disconnect bs though?

mbpm1

ex flash kick definitely does not beat U2. Its nowhere near as good as Ryus ex dp. I've gotten hit by it too many times.

Doesn't have to be as good as Ryu's "fuck off I have 16 frames of full invincibility" to beat a grab based Ultra tho

And wow, I didn't know Guile's EX was so weak in terms of full invincibility

That's pathetic. Any Shoto's MP DP will beat that

peter0611

U.S melee scene has been getting stomped by the internationals for the past several months. And by internationals, I just mean two Swedes. xD

peter0611

Yeah, and Leffen totally deserves it! I'm impressed with how good he's gotten this year. Definitely the most improved top player. And the "villain" personality just makes the scene and matches more interesting. It's sad to see people only rely on Mango and maybe PPMD to fight off the invaders, lol. It's not like Melee's international scene is as robust as SF. No excuses for them not improving.

Archon473

One of the best parts about fighting games IMO is that you can play out in-game differences like this. Also it's not like PL is some scrub - dude is an EVO champ. It just so happens he's a champ that got 13-0'd.

I guess I never saw it as an in-game difference. I played MK9 and Injustice from Day 1 but do not own a PS4 or MKX. I have not been watching MKX tournaments, just following results a bit to see if familiar or new players are doing well with the new game. I would not have expected anyone to call out SonicFox considering his tournament resume in past games and this one. For one thing, it's unwarranted. Actions speak louder than words and in my opinion words are worth less than silence in this day and age. If I think a player is bad or a character is overrated, I have to beat them in tournament. Then, I have to continue winning. Then, maybe, if someone asks, I'll talk about my opinion of the game, characters, and maybe players. A voice is earned. It is not a privilege. I hate how a player can work for success, and a total stranger can shout loudly, "But now I declare you prove your worth!" His tournament success is his worth. Nothing needs to be said and no one can declare a player weak until proven. Tournament players and tournament winners prove themselves in battle by fighting. Words before and after are wasted.

Evo is the defining tournament and as an Evo winner I cannot believe Perfect Legend would challenge that award. His past successes are being forgotten in favor of his melodrama. It's seriously embarrassing and I am saying this behavior diminishes the game. I actually feel MK9's history and scene mirrored MvC2's. But tell me, can you say there were not blemishes? Was Justin vs DarkPrince at all necessary if Dark Prince was banned and has not Evo tournament history to his name? We are participating in fanfiction, not competitive fighting gaming.

I agree in general that competitive play should take precedence over personalities but anything that makes an example of people who talk entirely too much shit is good precisely because it reminds people that they should think twice before running their mouth or they might end up on the receiving end.

But it goes to show the talking was unnecessary in the first place. Anyone who has no credibility can garner attention by screaming. The only conclusions to the scenario are that the tournament veteran loses and now any stranger is entitled to challenge a champion rather than earning this fight in tournament, or that the challenger loses and admits harmlessly that he was wrong. With tournaments being broadcast more and attention being given equally to whomever is on camera regardless of why, winning players need to decide when and why they should accept challenges. Challengers will always look to steal the success of winners. It's not easy to defeat good players in tournaments, but it is the simplest approach.

Pretty much any fighting game played competitively has had something similar happen without the game suffering from it. LTG VS Viscant or Leffen VS Chillin didn't cause their respective games to die.

SF4 and Melee were monuments before those matches ever occurred. They could not have unsettled those games. However, the reaction to those matches were wholely negative. They showed the community in a negative light and public reaction was negative. For one thing, majors and selected exhibitions (like the FT10s at a lot of trade shows) do way more for the tournament scene and showcase much better play. I'm not sure who was looking for top level SF4 between those two, but it could have been found anywhere. LTG was no one before that match, yet Viscant was an Evo champion. Again, why would he lower himself? He is in the highest position. It is his right to decline a challenge. There is nothing left to prove and nothing to defend.

Melee was my first competitive game as far as playing a fighting game competitively and not casually. It was the first fighting game where I started learning advanced techniques and watching the early tournament matches. I moved on and stopped paying attention to the players. By the time I returned, especially as the mainstay fighting game community & SRK/Eventhubs crowd rallied to accept Smash as an equal, I was so disinterested in the players. The game had gotten faster and deeper, continuing as any tournament game should, but what difference did it make who was playing? My point overall is that this attitude is despicable. It demeans humans, never mind video game players. I have become so sick of it and it has kept me out of the tournament scene for years, despite having the money to travel and the desire to compete in the new generation of games where I really have enjoyed learning and playing. When we highlight this behavior, we are signalling the kind of community we want and it has less to do with the games every day. I just see a bunch of children using a video game to create, sustain, or heal their sick ego.

Archon473

About the other thing, I don't think grudge matches like last night are somehow harmful for fighting games. If anything it's better since human behavior is much easier to consume than technical might for someone unfamiliar with the scene. If you gave a random person the choice of 2 youtube videos with one titled "MK player wins 13-0 with incredible gameplay and mixups" and the other "guy talks mad shit on the internet over MK, gets beaten 13-0", which do you think they'd watch?

This rationalization is like enabling addiction. It is leaving cancer untreated.

what does this even mean

Everything is based on talk. What can you say? Perfect Legend states a challenge, loses, challenges anew, loses. What will be his next step? Rinse, repeat until desired results are achieved. It is hard to win a tournament but very easy to get on stream. Talking is all some players are known for and we give permission to people when we give them a pulpit. The more people say the less we should listen, and the more people do the more we should pay attention.

It's great that we have these things but we just gotta be careful unless we clearly set the expectations for conduct.

Evo has a rule that players may not physically intimidate others. For the sake of stream spectacle, this has been ignored at quite a few events.

I said for years I wanted to compete in tournaments and now that I finally have the means, my interest is lessening. Why participate in this? Why enter a discussion of personality that will domineer anything empirical I have to say about the game. Why create content? Why provide matches and examples of high level player, game strategy, character use for an audience of cretins? It is becoming the lowest of the low. I thought stream quality was getting better into 2011-2012 as players got used to their tournaments and matches being live all the time. But with more and more money being fed to tournament organizers, broadcasters, and players, it's am arms race for viewership. It's as much about pride as it is money, but both are products and both are worthless. It's glamour to mask what substance is not there.

Tripon

Archon, if you can't hang, maybe you shouldn't compete.

I'm all for players feeling comfortable, but nowhere was Sonic FOX or Perfect Legend safety was threatened in any way on Saturday. The idea that any of them were is mind boggling.

Top Bottom