• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 11-17 | RIP Hitokage

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of August 11th to the 17th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibguEXcDyClEj5.jpg

3096229_o.jpeg

Last week, we learned that Brett Ryan Gilmartin, better known to most GAFers as user Hitokage passed away on August 1st, 2014 at the age of 31. Hitokage was a long-time member of the fighting game community here, and a GAFer for even longer (Hitokage helped found NeoGAF, and is user #2). Hitokage was always kind and thoughtful when participating in discussions around here, and will be missed by us all. Our hearts are with Brett's family and friends during these tragic times.

Over in the OT, EviLore has created a thread for people to share their grief and stories. Below are some stories from FGC-GAFers who had the pleasure of playing fighting games with Hitokage:

Hito's a chun player so we would grind out the match around the Super days. He'd help teach me some new stuff and even as Ultra was coming out we'd theory fight out what she could do. This is really upsetting and I sincerely hope his family's okay.
I still remember some of the matches we played in Vanilla SF4. He bodied me so hard that it forced me to train my ass off just to have a chance at him.
Shoot man.... :(

Hitokage was one of the few people on GAF that played vf5fs with me. I never once could defeat his Shun. RIP
I got to meet Hito once at a local. He seemed like a nice guy.

RIP man.
I didn't know him well but he was the first GAF'er that I played in SF4 and met in real life. We had a lot of sets together on PC. He asked me to come to the local tournament several times. I finally attended one and I'm glad I did. I got to meet Hito and participate in my first tournament which ultimately led me to attending EVO the year after. I didn't get to know him that well, we only met at tournaments. But he was a pretty cool guy. Now I kind of feel bad about not spending more time trying to learn Arcana Hearts when he was trying to teach me this one day lol(not intended in a bad way, just a funny moment I wanted to bring up).

I was pretty devastated when the Broncos got destroyed in the past Super Bowl. But part me feels good knowing that Hito got to see his boys win the big one before he left us.
The first time we played each other was on the PC version of Vanilla SF4. We played a lot during that time because I think we were either the only two to have the game on PC or two of the few that did. He asked me several times to attend the local tournament. I told him was a bit intimidated, I guess reading stories about the old arcade days of people talking a lot of shit and getting into fights made me think that tournaments might be like that. But he told me it was nothing like that and that people are friendly and it would be a fun experience. So I finally went, I met him and had a pretty good time. I actually have a video from that tournament on my youtube page. He's not in it and it's not about him but he was actually sitting beside me as I recorded some guy claiming to discover this Ken 1f link into Ultra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3usFzTAI6Ec&list=UU97Qz1CtZqAw0H8D-7HuHCQ

Over the years I would run into him whenever we both attended tournaments. I didn't get to know him that well since we lived an hour apart and I have a full time job so we couldn't get together for stuff like house casuals. To this day I've only participated in one team tournament, and my teammate in this 2v2 was none other than Hitokage. Unfortunately it was single elim and we lost our first match. Another funny story is that one time when we were both at a tournament he was really trying to get me to learn Arcana Hearts. I was hesitant and felt uncomfortable. After about 5 or so minutes, I wanted off and I guess he was a bit disappointed. Sometime later in a Sailor Moon thread, he blew me up about it on GAF. These are our post and responses to each other

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39599890&postcount=249
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39603599&postcount=264
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39619244&postcount=278
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39619484&postcount=280

I haven't been to the local tournament in a long time and I was hoping to run into him again. Unfortunately that will never happen. I'm glad he at least got to see the Hawks win the Super Bowl before he passed, RIP Brett

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

King of the Monsters [ Saturday ] [ 2PM EDT | 11AM PDT ]
  • Monster Island Tournaments presents the latest monthly in their tournament series, featuring many current games and legacy MK games as well.
Barbeque Brawl 2014 [ Sunday ] [ 12PM EDT | 9AM PDT ]
  • Always Godlike hosts their first tournament, featuring multiple games out of New Jersey.
First Attack PR [ Saturday ] [ 9AM EDT | 6AM PDT ]
  • A multi-game tournament taking place in Puerto Rico and featuring a considerable amount of domestic talent.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iLPU5YEABbEaD.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at JDdelphin!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
Currently, only USF4 and VF5- they're the two I just feel comfortable picking up for short periods and tooling around with. I'm a living embodiment of "Go home and be a family man."

All time favorites: based on how mind-blown I was seeing them for the first time- probably Soul Blade, X-Men:COTA, Original Darkstalkers, Tekken 2, Saturday Night Slam Masters (if that counts) and just plain old SF:CE.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I really like the concept of the 'Ultra' or 'Revenge' mechanic in fighters, I think it really adds to the excitement of a match, and I like that dramatic touch of the 'comeback' element.

The whole- 'after someone is beaten up a bit they have a chance to fire up and maybe get back into a fight they were almost down in' gimmick appeals to me.

I think it could have been implemented a better, but that goes into my thoughts on the possibility of a balanced fighter that still has good variety in styles (and whether it's even possible or not) and that's an entire conversation not a short answer.

Least favorite? Probably anything that allows a character to be sent into the air and slapped around like the pitiful lovechild of a crash dummy and a hackey sack.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Arcades.

As a kid I was pretty lucky to have two in the same mall.

One was the brightly lit family style one that had the newer attractions and 'kiddie' stuff (skeeball, games for tickets for trinkets, etc), and the other one was the classic dank pit of seedy awesomeness.

The nice one had all the better/newer stuff as it came out and the pit had the most games per square inch I've ever seen anywhere and it was always full of interesting people.

I feel people that weren't able to be dropped off at a mall with 5-20 dollars and just live in a strange arcade world for 2-6 hours as a kid in the late 80's early 90's missed out on a unique ambiance.

I still play mostly games in the style of the ones found in arcades: fighters, beat 'em ups, action platformers, or maybe a nice adventure RPG to break things up.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
As far as an individual? I'd probably say D-List Marvel villain Omega Red (if that counts) I loved him since COTA and I always thought everything about him was the raddest.

Besides that, It'd probably be Blanka.

Since I can remember, whenever trying out a game I'd go straight for the big/ugly/weird character (Blanka, Gen-An, Yoshimitsu, Sasquatch, etc.) and see how I liked the game.

Someday, I hope that there is a big ugly brute non-sexualized female character in a fighter.
I also like pro-wrestler characters because I like pro-wrestling archetypes (and suck at combos so I need damage with only a few hits/a throw.)
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I'm largely a reactionary brawler, I'd say. Others might say 'scrubtacular', or possibly 'asstastic'.

Footsies and instinct over any kind of mental charting for the most part.

I know of a little local scene around me (Western NY), but don't have the time/means to get involved how I'd like.

Online is always an option here and there- right now I only have a 360 and a Vita so anyone could hit me up whenever. I'd make time for some games.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I'm decent at learning as I go against people, but like I said before- I don't get a chance to practice much, and I'm not adept at combos so even if I'm making reads I find it hard to punish things properly or get a rewarding amount of damage.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
All I can think of are arcade moments- Getting the Intercontinental title with all characters in Wrestlemania the Arcade Game, beating MSH vs. SF on one credit the first time I played the game (Omega Red and Spiderman), forcing my local seedy arcade owner to break his Timekillers machine, teaching this little kid I never met before how to SPD, stuff like that...

Worst? Experiencing online lag rage the first time, having Viscant expose me in Super with his DeeJay, blowing my first and only real tournament by being overconfident and needlessly jumping into a Rose Ultra 1.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Variety/Fun/a new approach to balance with more practical thinking.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
toddhunter

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ Secondary ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. For more communities around the web, check out previous OTs.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.​

+rep on title!

if there's one thing that will bring us all in the FGC together is the camaraderie we have for each other
and anime

Farwell hito :(

You don't need to contact support -- there's an option on the SEN account management screen that lets you remotely deauthorize all devices. The one caveat to that is that it can only be used once every six months.

yea after that. Idk what happened, but I did that earlier after I hit the limit, but I should've had only 2 systems activated on it (mine and another person's), but a third activation somehow came about (don't know how to tell who's ps3 it is) so I can't give the username pw to another person that wanted uniel

vulva

I recently went through some PMs pre-Ultra that Hito and I had about theoretical things Chun could do. Even if they weren't always practical, it seems most of the stuff he theory crafted still works. For some reason it just felt right to run through every single one he sent me just to verify.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah if you're short on OP character count, bump me to next week.
Hitokage and actual events take precedent, imo
Come to think of it, I usually just scrap the external links section, so I'll just do that.

Honestly didn't put too much thought into it, but if you'd rather not have your interview this week, I can remove it too (I don't think it's a big deal though).

JDdelphin

Come to think of it, I usually just scrap the external links section, so I'll just do that.

Honestly didn't put too much thought into it, but if you'd rather not have your interview this week, I can remove it too (I don't think it's a big deal though).

I'm ok with whatever.

Like I said before, never met him but Hitokage seemed like good people. Wish I had met him.

If people would rather have more stuff about him added up there, or more things added into the OP as the week goes on and people remember stuff, I'm fine with that too.

Uraizen

Banned
RIP

Had some good games with ya in BlazBlue. Was hoping to play ya in AH3 Love Max!!!, too. I know you loved the hell out of that series.

Like my post mentioned above in the OP, I did get to meet and and spend some time with him. Didn't get to know him personally but from the various times we spent together he seem like a pretty nice guy.

RIP Hitokage

RIP Hito :/

Its really not all that hard, it's just not supposed to be used like block in 2d fighting games. There is a generous input buffer for the motion so the guard will come out when it can as long as you get the motion half right.

In EXVS you are primarily supposed to avoid damage through movement and spacing. Guard/block is supposed to be used as a last resort when you have no other defensive options available or movement will not get you of line of fire. Primarily you would use guard when you are about to land but have projectiles tracking after you so you won't be able to dodge them. Or when someone throws out a wide area beam attack with good tracking and you won't be able to move out of the way while a block is more likely to prevent damage. It is also possible to put some in block stun and move behind them to effectively "crossup" and attack them in inescapable blockstun.

Blocking is key to high level play, but the key to blocking is having enough match experience to know when to block. There are many downsides to blocking and blocking some attacks is practically impossible as their hitbox will pass through the block and hit you anyway.
Yeah, blocking is a pain - it's really slow in comparison to all the other animations in the game. Keep in mind that you can buffer 28 while you're recovering from a landing, hold 2, and start blocking when you can move again. It helps a little.

What I like about RoI is that blocking is way easier. I'd love to see how that plays out in an actual match, but I'd have to actually be able to run the game before that happens.

Thank you very much guys for the Gundam tips on the other FGC topic guys !

warpaint

Hi
I am new to this thread and find it really interesting
i have a question, is there any good podcast that able Fighting Games and all the stuff around it ?

Kimosabae

Banned
I named last night's Supermoon in honor of Hitokage. An intellectual satellite, beguiling with a most palpable perigee. In these moments, more closer to our communal soul now than ever; he reflects divine light with renewed intensity, and is exposing the humanity in the hearts in each and every one of us.

RIP.

.la1n

The thread title this week is going to be a solemn reminder that life is such a short ride. I'll really miss seeing Hitokage around, always had such a respectful and pleasant demeanor.

Hi
I am new to this thread and find it really interesting
i have a question, is there any good podcast that able Fighting Games and all the stuff around it ?

iplaywinner has a weekly show that is released in podcast format, I am not sure who else does. Ultrachen / Avoidingthepuddle (links in the OP) usually put their weekly show up on Youtube so you can always play those through your phone if it's capable.

http://iplaywinner.com/podcast/the-show-that-sucks-with-harrison-and-honzo-gonzo-archive.html

Also, welcome to FG Weekly :)

Top Bottom