• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

ShinMaruku

English is luckily one of those languages you can logically break down and not have to question it all too often.
English is one of the few languages that have an absence of rules with some of the words. Also English is fucked up because a few of my ancestors invaded England and added Danish French into English and gave us the bastard of a language known as Middle English. :p

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
English is one of the few languages that have an absence of rules with some of the words. Also English is fucked up because a few of my ancestors invaded England and added Danish French into English and gave us the bastard of a language known as Middle English. :p

FLW | Middle English

Edit:

This stream skipping is killing my eyes.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Prog is the best Smash commentary period. And anybody who is giving him a hard time in doing so at EVO can go fuck themselves.

shaowebb

What happened is that she has now taken her first gateway drug into the word of ANIME.

This is how it starts. Pokemons, DBZ, Sailor Moon... then wanting to learn Japanese, then the REAL anime/manga and then anime pillows and waifu/husbandos.

Geez... image issues much? Watching (or playing) anime doesn't change who you are and neither does loudly protesting it. Folks aren't better or worse for it. They're still just the folks they always were.

Let her watch anime and learn japanese. Its harmless and actually pretty useful in general to know some japanese and to have an angle over what sorts of media the japanese grew up on. Gives you insights into the themes their heroes and such revolve around and it lends you a bit of insight into how they dream and what sort of mindsets their idealised person centers on. At least she'll be able to tell what sort of tech is being yelled about on Nico Nico videos of japan only tournies one day.

For those that don't follow Smash 4, but are interested due to the gigantic CEO turnout, here's a little player info/background that was just posted:

http://www.thesmashhub.com/smash-4-storylines-going-into-ceo-by-derux4/

This is the first time since Apex that this many heavy hitters have shown up to the same tournament. Pretty much all the top players are going aside from Ally (Best Mario) from Canada, FOW (Best Ness) from Vegas and anyone from Japan. You rarely see guys like Mr. R (Best Sheik), ESAM (Best Pikachu) and Larry Lurr (Best Fox and Falco) at US majors so it's a pretty big deal.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Geez... image issues much? Watching (or playing) anime doesn't change who you are and neither does loudly protesting it. Folks aren't better or worse for it. They're still just the folks they always were.

Let her watch anime and learn japanese. Its harmless and actually pretty useful in general to know some japanese and to have an angle over what sorts of media the japanese grew up on. Gives you insights into the themes their heroes and such revolve around and it lends you a bit of insight into how they dream and what sort of mindsets their idealised person centers on. At least she'll be able to tell what sort of tech is being yelled about on Nico Nico videos of japan only tournies one day.

I think Dahbomb is being sarcastic, so was miniboss.

Kalamari

Buy her a Japanese book, tell her if she studies hard for 3 years, she might be able to speak and understand it at a basic level.

Negaduck

Experiences will vary based on if you can wrap your brain around a language that is set up in a way that in no way shape or form is comparable to english.

Yeah, the structure and language rules are kinda similar to Spanish (I don't speak that fluently at all) so I was actually able to understand Japanese easier because of that.

I've forgotten most of it though as it was several years back.

gutabo

My wife keeps encouraging me to just buy the laptop and get financing, but I feel so guilty when there is a baby on the way. :/

Dude, first of all congrats, ok now before your offspring is born(and I'm assuming it's your first child) make sure to GET SOME SERIOUS SLEEP. That's my most important advice. You'll never be able to sleep as much as before, plus the first month you'll be in serious sleep deprivation until you work a working schedule with your woman(get that sleep schedule with her FAST). Don't worry if you don't believe what pediatricians are saying nowadays about your newborn needing to be fed every two hours, that's impossible and every mom knows that. Just let your son get his own rhythm(or one that does not destroy your woman and you with them) and go with it. Help your woman, if she gets PPD you'll have to be that man, the one that will have to endure everything from everyone for a while. And finally, don't worry if milk is not coming out for a bit, it takes some days to come out(not talking about the colostrum, that is available sometimes even before birth), and it takes longer to come out if it's after a caesarean section.

On Topic: Still getting in debt to pay some stuff for our EVO trip, and I have not played at all. Seems like I'll be 0-2 in both games I registered at(USF4 and Xrd) and I don't even have time to worry right now :(

notworksafe

Thanks. It should be a blast.

I'd say I'd actually try and make it to the GAF buffet thing but I don't think GB is going this year to organize it.

notworksafe

You guys have a buffet 0.0

Usually GB gets everyone to show up to one every year...and I've always missed it.

I think this year I'm just gonna go to the crazy huge Caeser's buffet and try and convince vulva to come too. Not sure who else is going but they're welcome.

Top Bottom