• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Lggqhsp.png

dat range

shaowebb

You're not going to answer the question are you? I'm asking you to put your opinion on aesthetics aside and look at with a different perspective on character value.

anyway
The Superman = Ryu comparison is off. Superman's character doesn't have any appeal to the masses. With Ryu it's the super hardcore nitpicking to the nth degree.
I don't even get what your after anymore.

I did answer it already...several times in fact but you wont listen to the answer. Because you want it yes or no. I tell exactly the way I see it and you want me to shut up and say yes or no so you can fill in the blanks with whatever you see fit rather than what I said is how it comes across to me. If you want to talk about who should have been in Marvel or who was a better choice for the roster of marvel toolset wise then thats completely offbase in a different way and has no bearing on why a karate gi is a dull character design.

Like what you want. I'll always find Ryu's outfit dull and likely if I play in SF i'll be digging for any alts he has that are more than recolors. He needs it because he's dull looking. Anyone whose whole outfit is just a generic martial arts uniform with no real accents to the chracter's body language to show personality or decorations to the costume to show similar comes across this way to me.

You said Superman has no appeal to the masses.

You need to explain that because that makes absolutely no sense to me.

I guess I have to elaborate because the comparison was off to begin with.

Superman's character is a superhero. He isn't working in the modern age because a compelling Superhero has human aspects and vulnerabilities to them. That is why people take to Batman and Spider-Man.

Ryu is a video game character. If your rationale for him being in a video game crossover or not is about character development, then you're a little too much into the lore. Just a little.

Kalamari

I wish I didn't start liking this game so late into its release. I'm just as bad as I was weeks ago :(

The best way to learn is to find some experienced local players and ask them for help. They can be a tremendous resource for new players. And don't get discouraged over losing online, because it's shit anyway. Think of online more as a training mode to practice stuff against real players as opposed to using the training dummy.

shaowebb

I guess I have to elaborate because the comparison was off to begin with.

Superman's character is a superhero. He isn't working in the modern age because a compelling Superhero has human aspects and vulnerabilities to them. That is why people take to Batman and Spider-Man.

Ryu is a video game character. If your rationale for him being in a video game crossover or not is about character development, then you're a little too much into the lore. Just a little.

I said he was a dull choice and his design is dull and has shown next to no development. I already justified why he was chosen over Chun and Akuma as well as stated why I feel they were more exciting options they could have chosen. You don't read much. I never justified him being in a crossover or not by character development. I stated he was the face they market with and that he is a dull face who could use work and I find him dull and wish they'd choose either of the two I said were more interesting SF icons IMO. I'd just like to see something more exciting than the generic Karate Guy shoved in every crossover they are involved in in favor of some of the less generic icons they have from SF. Since I know thats not going to happen I went on to talk about how I feel he needs more visual growth in the main series.

Dahbomb

Your argument is that Superman character doesn't have mass appeal when compared to Batman and Spiderman...

Which while true doesn't mean that Superman doesn't have mass appeal or at the very least doesn't have more mass appeal than Ryu. There are still A LOT of people who enjoy Superman's character, backstory, costume design and his values.

I am not really touching this whole Ryu design argument or if he should/shouldn't be in Smash (you are right in that character development/lore are irrelevant when deciding who to bring in for crossovers). I just think that saying Superman has little or no mass appeal is a foolish statement to make. Just because he's not THE MOST POPULAR superhero at the moment doesn't mean he has little to no mass appeal. He can still make half a billion at the box office easy.

shaowebb

lol

He's offline now but you can see his past broadcasts. It's Smash btw.

Yeah , looks like its either down or they shut him down. WIll they pull his vids for that content? Not certain how this works on twitch when folks get the early stuff like this.

Honestly the only thing I want from sm4sh is the ability to just turn stage hazards off. Omega mode was a neat idea and all but I'd like to play on the original stage layout of many of the Sm4sh stages rather than just a final destination layout every time. The rampant hazards and instakill items/pokeballs kind of wrecked it for casual fun as well as other stuff for me. Really like to play the Earthbound 3ds stage without the bird, MM stage without yellow devil, and the Ridley stage without Ridley. At least the Xenoblade stage doesn't always have metal face appear.

The best way to learn is to find some experienced local players and ask them for help. They can be a tremendous resource for new players. And don't get discouraged over losing online, because it's shit anyway. Think of online more as a training mode to practice stuff against real players as opposed to using the training dummy.

Wish I knew about any local places around central Jersey. Tried looking on campus for a fighting game club or something like it, but the only thing is the CS students playing Smash, so online is all I got.

Dahbomb

I wonder if more people know of Ryu or Superman.

I am not trolling or anything... I would legit want to know.

Gut says Superman but then more people know of Mario than Mickey Mouse so who knows really. People in Japan probably don't care about Superman.

ShinMaruku

Superman is the most known character followed closely by Batman and Spiderman, Wolverine will probably meet them VEEERRRRYYYY soon.

It's not a question who is more popular. Superman inspired Goku. THINK on that. Superman is also more popular than Goku.

Dahbomb

Superman is the most known character followed closely by Batman and Spiderman, Wolverine will probably meet them VEEERRRRYYYY soon.

It's not a question who is more popular. Superman inspired Goku. THINK on that. Superman is also more popular than Goku.
I don't know if Superman is more known than Spiderman and Batman at this point. I know many kids who don't know Superman but they sure know of Spiderman/Batman.

I feel that people who are in their 20s/30s or older know who Superman is but the younger generation isn't as familiar with him. For the younger generation it almost feels like Superman is secondary to Batman in media (especially with how DC is promoting the two characters).

I wonder if more people know of Ryu or Superman.

I am not trolling or anything... I would legit want to know.

Gut says Superman but then more people know of Mario than Mickey Mouse so who knows really. People in Japan probably don't care about Superman.

Definitely superman. Ryu hasnt been around as long as superman has.

ShinMaruku

I don't know if Superman is more known than Spiderman and Batman at this point. I know many kids who don't know Superman but they sure know of Spiderman/Batman.

I feel that people who are in their 20s/30s or older know who Superman is but the younger generation isn't as familiar with him. For the younger generation it almost feels like Superman is secondary to Batman in media (especially with how DC is promoting the two characters).
I feel people know superman more by look than by name and culturally. But on a name basis Batman might be a bit better but that's due to how Time Warner is promoting him. Superman is harder character to write.

Still in a few year Wolverine will be up there with them if not right there. I mean Wolverine is in more books than all of them.

Kalamari

Wish I knew about any local places around central Jersey. Tried looking on campus for a fighting game club or something like it, but the only thing is the CS students playing Smash, so online is all I got.

I would try looking on Facebook as well, the local fg scene where I live uses social networking sites extensively.

Or, there may be some people in FGW that know if there is a scene in Central Jersey. I know we have some people located in NYC. You guys know anything?

I did some googling and found YESTERcades in Red Bank, it doesn't look like they have any Street fighter though.

If you don't find anything, keep looking. If you live in a good populated area, odds are that there is someone out there that plays street fighter.

Also, East Coast Throwdown is this weekend in Morristown, if that's near you I would go and check it out. It's a great opportunity to find out if there are any fellow street fighters in your area. http://ecthrowdown.com/

I was ready to be like "hey fuckers VF Tekken and SF finally all crossed over and it's in a Smash game" but then I remembered Project X Zone. :|

I would try looking on Facebook as well, the local fg scene where I live uses social networking sites extensively.

Or, there may be some people in FGW that know if there is a scene in Central Jersey. I know we have some people located in NYC. You guys know anything?

I did some googling and found YESTERcades in Red Bank, it doesn't look like they have any Street fighter though.

If you don't find anything, keep looking. If you live in a good populated area, odds are that there is someone out there that plays street fighter.

Also, East Coast Throwdown is this weekend in Morristown, if that's near you I would go and check it out. It's a great opportunity to find out if there are any fellow street fighters in your area. http://ecthrowdown.com/

Ill try looking around, dont even know how long i plan to stay in jersey since im graduating next year anyway. Really appreciate the help though.

Edit: i work weekends so i wouldnt be able to make it out to ECT.

Top Bottom