• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally saw my first UFO(s)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
Gotta love some of the comments here saying there's no merit at all in UFO sightings. Sure there's a fuckton of the conspiracy theorist shit out there, terrible videos that are clearly fake and idiots promoting that fake stuff that make themselves look like idiots.

BUT there ARE tons of legitimate sighting by pilots, military personnel and perfectly sane and rational members of the public. Heck I had a very quick YouTube search for some stuff and found a seemingly sane news report about a UFO sighting that lasted for hours and even the reporter saw it and they filmed it, as best they could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SCW3K_t_ps

Thousands of people saw it, local police actually point out where the light is to a member of the public in the report. There's tons of these news reports but they're always treated as a funny little novelty and quickly forgotten about, despite the fact they really should demand closer inspection to find out what they are.

Also, yes millions have smartphone cameras... have you tried taking pictures of the night sky, or even the Moon on your smartphone. The best smartphone cameras are pretty terrible at this and would at best show you a pixelly blurry dot if there was anything there, and smartphone cameras only get worse from there. Also, try tracking a randomly moving light, at short notice, with some form of binoculars or a telescope which has an ability to record the images, it's nigh on impossible to follow.

The outright dismissal of sane rational people, and especially experienced people like life long commercial pilots, is not very fair.

Well if this doesn't convince the skeptics out there, I don't know what will!

p6wabyfiajvc43ta4l.gif

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My question is this . For a long time highly trained people (pilots, Army officers,the police) have been reporting strange lights in the sky. They cannot explain them once they have ruled out the possible explanations of what it wasn't. There is always a few that cannot be explained

What the hell are they ?

Anyone interested check out the Leslie Keane book about UFOs and dismiss all what these people have seen as nothing.

TaterTots

Banned
I've seen a UFO before, but I do not talk about it because the way people are reacting in this thread. Just kept it to myself. It's a intriguing experience.

When you think about it, UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object, not alien spacecraft

IMO, I agree with OP that they saw a UFO

It's not sane or rational to say that sometimes, unexplained things are probably aliens.

I think most people in the thread are open to the idea that there may be some unexplained phenomena that have been observed.. But if there could be closer examination on the event or flying object, it could probably be explained very simply.. and why would we even consider aliens before something else? Even if it was some unknown flying technology, isn't it endlessly more likely that it came from this Earth instead of outside the solar system? It would make more sense to construct a theory that countries around the world have man made flying saucers hidden in the moon than it would be to jump all the way to extragalactical intelligent beings.

And, again, you guys are mostly the ones saying "You say you saw this so it's aliens!"

Barely anyone has mentioned extraterrestrials as anything other than a possibility, aside from the debunker-esque posters such as yourself.

It's hard to debate when one group makes up the other's argument for them.

I've seen a UFO before, but I do not talk about it because the way people are reacting in this thread. Just kept it to myself. It's a intriguing experience.

And people keep saying this as well.

Maybe the reason "rational people" don't see UFOs is because they are simply scared to say they have because of an evident culture of ridicule and mockery.

Arkeband

Banned
And people keep saying this as well.

Maybe the reason "rational people" don't see UFOs is because they are simply scared to say they have because of an evident culture of ridicule and mockery.

When you feel an earthquake, are you sure it wasn't one of the worms from Tremors?

I mean, you don't know for sure, and the only reason you aren't saying it was a Tremor worm is because "rational people" will ridicule and mock you.

When you feel an earthquake, are you sure it wasn't one of the worms from Tremors?

I mean, you don't know for sure, and the only reason you aren't saying it was a Tremor worm is because "rational people" will ridicule and mock you.

Not really comparable, unless I saw a tongue snake wriggling around. And "earthquake" does not assign cause. Was it a result of tectonics? Blasting? Massive explosion? All of these produce what is, at the surface, an "earthquake".

UFO sightings also have characteristics beyond simply "a light in the sky". At the least, it seems more intellectually curious to promote reports of unusual phenomenon than to dismiss and ridicule them without knowing what they are.

vikki

Thing is, amateur backyard astrophotography has improved a thousandfold in the last 15 years with affordable computer tracking and compositing. You'd think thousands and thousands of those hardcore enthusiasts all over the world with hi-tech equipment would have discovered something as well, since they do discover supernova and other anomalies on a regular basis. This isn't just about smartphones.

Are you telling me that you haven't witnessed weird shit in Maine?

Arkeband

Banned
Not really comparable, unless I saw a tongue snake wriggling around. And "earthquake" does not assign cause. Was it a result of tectonics? Blasting? Massive explosion? All of these produce what is, at the surface, an "earthquake".

UFO sightings also have characteristics beyond simply "a light in the sky". At the least, it seems more intellectually curious to promote reports of unusual phenomenon than to dismiss and ridicule them without knowing what they are.

The thing is that you're assigning an affirmative identifier to an unknown.

In the days of early humanity, we saw the Sun and thought it was our creator. We saw stars and thought they were the spirits of dead humans. We didn't know what they were but we filled in the gaps with bullshit.

The idea of flying saucers and little green/grey men and all of the ayyy lmao's are a very new phenomenon. Before 1947 no one saw any of this stuff, but once we had the perfect mix of similar technology (planes) and communication (radio), tales of things in the sky shifted from being local folklore to being an early meme. There was an absolute FRENZY of people believing they'd seen things that they never mentioned until that year.

It's a great mirror into how animalistic human beings are and how easily manipulated we are. People who see flying saucers are like Carly Fiorina seeing babies being killed and harvested in Planned Parenthood videos. How many people spoke up afterward and started repeating her to be part of "the tribe"?

Give us another 50-100 years and we'll have a natural explanation for flying saucers, in the same way we debunk everything else supernatural or unknown in origin.

In the days of early humanity, we saw the Sun and thought it was our creator. We saw stars and thought they were the spirits of dead humans. We didn't know what they were but we filled in the gaps with bullshit.

The idea of flying saucers and little green/grey men and all of the ayyy lmao's are a very new phenomenon. Before 1947 no one saw any of this stuff, but once we had the perfect mix of similar technology (planes) and communication (radio), tales of things in the sky shifted from being local folklore to being an early meme. There was an absolute FRENZY of people believing they'd seen things that they never mentioned until that year.

It's a great mirror into how animalistic human beings are and how easily manipulated we are. People who see flying saucers are like Carly Fiorina seeing babies being killed and harvested in Planned Parenthood videos. How many people spoke up afterward and started repeating her to be part of "the tribe"?

Give us another 50-100 years and we'll have a natural explanation for flying saucers, in the same way we debunk everything else supernatural or unknown in origin.

Except I haven't assigned cause. I have my pet theories, but I don't assign definite cause without proof, which is fairly impossible to come by for brief, sporadic sightings.

Also, sightings of flying saucers are recent (and not really common anymore versus triangular craft, rods, and balls of light) but analogous sightings of aerial craft and inhabitants are not. The 1947 cutoff is not exactly a "hard date" either.

Your "great mirror" seems to be reversed. Based on this topic, reports of sightings aren't being amplified by people talking about them. Rather, a small minority of people have said they have had sightings of strange things but fear ridicule from others, which this topic demonstrates they would receive. If people wanted to "join the tribe," I'd say the tribe is that of the majority.

There are a lot of parallels between the modern UFO phenomenon and fairy and past supernatural lore, so I tend to think of this as a continuation of that, whatever the cause is.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤

Just to add -

Flying saucer as a term was coined in that late 40's timeframe. But sightings and ideas of flying discs come as early as the 1900's.

Flying discs are appealing as it is the natural form for which to utilise the coanda effect of which to create a workable VTOL solution using very conventional aerodynamic principles.
Far more efficient and elegant than later solutions such as the hawker-siddeley harrier and lockheed lightning ii variant. The only limit was stability that is only feasible under partial computer control, plus the inertia by kinetic weaponry made the disc craft unstable and not workable. Later on discs were developed by Brit engineer John Frost under AVRO, again the lack of computer control systems at the time halted the work. The public cover for the AVRO program was the famed and useless AVRO car. These were all based on european ideas of VTOL dating back to pre WW2 Germany.

Incidentally the skunk works did perfect the idea of a hover car which operated like a hovercraft without the skirt as far back as the 80's timeframe hovering a couple of ft above the ground. Looks like something out of the jetsons with a clear dome cockpit at the top and very small - car sized.

Went way off topic there but saucer craft were a very real and workable concept.

BFIB

OP, what you think you saw is often been misidentified as the planet Venus. Even the former leader of your United States of America, James Earl Carter Jr. thought he saw a UFO once. But it was proven what he saw was the planet Venus.

Venus was at its peak brilliance that night. You think you probably saw something up in the sky other than Venus, but I assure you. It was Venus.

Unai

OP, what you think you saw is often been misidentified as the planet Venus. Even the former leader of your United States of America, James Earl Carter Jr. thought he saw a UFO once. But it was proven what he saw was the planet Venus.

Venus was at its peak brilliance that night. You think you probably saw something up in the sky other than Venus, but I assure you. It was Venus.

latest

I've watched this episode for the first time this very week.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
I thought it might have been a shooting star but when I focused in on the area, I noticed it was actually 7 dim green lights in a v-formation. The lights were flying east and I only witnessed them for about 10 seconds. I immediately wondered whether it could be light reflecting off a flock of birds because that seems to be a common and apparent explanation for some UFOs. I am 100% sure these lights were not birds. It was also not a plane, a group of planes, nor was it helicopters or 7 shooting stars. At all.

What confused me is the fact that I couldn't make out whether it was one triangular object with 7 lights on the bottom of it or 7 individual objects flying in unison. Because of how muted the 7 lights were, I thought maybe they were much, much higher in the sky because the lights were somewhat small. But the speed at which they were flying, at least a few hundred feet per second, made me think it was actually closer to me which is why I said they were flying at a height of 1,000 feet up. I had to move my eyes twice per second to keep tracking it as it flew from the west to the east.

What made me think it could have been one solid object with 7 lights is the fact that while I couldn't make out a definite shape in or around the lights, there seemed to be a sort of shimmer or disturbance in the shape of a triangle within the lights almost as if something were cloaked. I could see the stars in the distance just fine but as the 7 lights flew by, the stars that it passed by seemed to waver a bit like when staring at a flame flicker and it gives off that wavy effect above it. It's like when you flick a lighter and only the gas comes out but no flame.

So whatever it was may have been a single cloaked object with dim lights or it was 7 small objects with some sort of propulsion by-product emanating from it.

s5bpb4c.png

They call them chevrons.

Cigars
Spheres
Saucers / discs
Deltas (triangles) 'tri's'
Darts (Isosceles / wedge)
Chevrons.
Diamond (trapezoids / square / diamond / manta)
-
or 7 objects.

You believers need to read about the fermi paradox.

Aliens MAYBE excist but they are definitely not hanging around here. Why would they?

If they can make it to here what could they learn from us?

People see the craziest shit and can't explain it and they go straight to aliens and ufo's.

cr0w

Old Member
I figure if aliens are visiting, they're doing so for the same reason some people go to the zoo. To laugh at the stupid monkeys throwing shit at each other.

I wish people actually discussed about weird/inexplicable things happening to them instead of dismissing as bullshit.

Scientifically speaking the probability of Earth being the only planet with intelligent life in the universe is insanely low and thinking so is way too arrogant.

what?

But even if the likelihood of earth being the only planet to have intelligent life is low, that does not mean UFOs = aliens.

I also find that those suggesting it is aliens always have a few other beliefs associated with aliens that they believe, for whatever reason. That's why I'm always really against people who want to say its aliens. They almost always follow it up with some more beliefs that just seem to suggest that they really just want it to be aliens.

Maybe aliens really do exist.

But maybe they don't.

I find this is probably the best answer to have.

Aliens exist. But we will never meet.
Math.

The only thing I would leave open are self-replicating drones/beacons used to spread over the Milky Way over millions of years (beings from other galaxies probably cannot even do that, well maybe if you add a few billion years). To do what their fleshy creators can't.

Though in that case you would think they would want to at least have the drones broadcast some ping for any capable species to detect.

actually the motivation to visit another planet with (intelligent) life is not so hard to grasp, however, how would you even know about humans on Earth in the first place? Just randomly sending ships for thousands of years (at best) to any planet that has the potential to host life as you know it? Now that's a hard sell.
vvv

I have never seen anything paranormal or even slightly out of the ordinary in my not-long-but-also-not-short life.

Either I'm destined to live a super dull and boring life or people just like to make shit up.

You believers need to read about the fermi paradox.

Aliens MAYBE excist but they are definitely not hanging around here. Why would they?

If they can make it to here what could they learn from us?

People see the craziest shit and can't explain it and they go straight to aliens and ufo's.

The Fermi "paradox" is not a paradox, it's bullshit.

The universe is unimaginably vast. The distances between planets, galaxies etc. is incredible. We, as a species have only existed for the blink of an eye in the lifespan of the universe, and we have only been (what we think of ourselves as a) technologically advanced species for a blink within that blink. Our weak, electromagnetic leakage which might alert another species from our TV, radars, radio etc. has barely traveled an inch from our own cosmic backyard. All our attempts at detecting radio signals of alien life amount to a needle in a haystack : we've searched the equivalent of a one cupful of water from the Pacific ocean for something with tools that we don't even know are capable of detecting what we are looking for even if it happened to be in that very cup.

Just because nobody knows that we are here doesn't mean that nobody else exists.

If I look out my kitchen window at a random time in my house deep in the wilderness of some random country for just 3 seconds, during a dense fog.... and I fail to see Natalie Portman right outside my window waving at me, does that prove that Natalie Portman doesn't exist?

Don't confuse the topic of UFO's with the existence of alien of life elsewhere in the universe. I don't believe any UFO's have ever been related to aliens. But I firmly believe that there is plenty of intelligent life throughout the vastness of space. Whether we will ever encounter that or not, before humans become extinct, nobody knows.

The Fermi "paradox" is not a paradox, it's bullshit.

The universe is unimaginably vast. The distances between planets, galaxies etc. is incredible. We, as a species have only existed for the blink of an eye in the lifespan of the universe, and we have only been (what we think of ourselves as a) technologically advanced species for a blink within that blink. Our weak, electromagnetic leakage which might alert another species from our TV, radars, radio etc. has barely traveled an inch from our own cosmic backyard. All our attempts at detecting radio signals of alien life amount to a needle in a haystack : we've searched the equivalent of a one cupful of water from the Pacific ocean for something with tools that we don't even know are capable of detecting what we are looking for even if it happened to be in that very cup.

Just because nobody knows that we are here doesn't mean that nobody else exists.

If I look out my kitchen window at a random time in my house deep in the wilderness of some random country for just 3 seconds, during a dense fog.... and I fail to see Natalie Portman right outside my window waving at me, does that prove that Natalie Portman doesn't exist?

Don't confuse the topic of UFO's with the existence of alien of life elsewhere in the universe. I don't believe any UFO's have ever been related to aliens. But I firmly believe that there is plenty of intelligent life throughout the vastness of space. Whether we will ever encounter that or not, before humans become extinct, nobody knows.

I agree with everything you just said under the fermi paradox is bullshit.

I agree with everything you just said under the fermi paradox is bullshit.

There is no weight to Fermi's paradox, though.

Part of the supposed paradox is that we have not observed radio signals from other civilizations, so where are they? The problem is that we haven't really looked beyond an infinitesimal degree. A fraction of a century over a fraction of the sky and barely any way to actually identify intelligent signals? And the best we can do even now is SETI which is a joke.

It's most compelling use is as thought experiment. Why? Well, we have no way of knowing if a Type 1 or Type 2 civ (or even one just slightly ahead od us) would find a better communication method than EM. Maybe there is only a short window of time where most civilizations use EM, if at all? Even if life was really common we might never see it because we aren't aware of their footprint.

Or maybe we haven't seen it yet because we haven't actually looked.

Which is just as viable a possibility as life tending to nuke itself as anything anything else. Because it is all just possibilities, not probabilities. There is no way to assume even relative probabilities to any this, and to say there is requires proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom