• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Commercial Spacewalk Completed Successfully

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

Polaris Dawn astronauts successfully perform the first commercial spacewalk​

The crew members tested SpaceX's new EVA suits with the Earth as their backdrop.​

Polaris Dawn astronauts Jared Isaacman and Sarah Gillis have successfully exited the confines of their Crew Dragon vehicle to perform the first ever commercial spacewalk on September 12. SpaceX and the Polaris crew started preparing for the event at 6:01AM Eastern time, checking that all their gear was in order and putting on the SpaceX extravehicular activity (EVA) suits that all four of them have to wear, because opening the Dragon's hatch will expose them to outer space. Pure oxygen was pumped into the suits to check for leaks before all the air was let out of the vehicle and before Isaacman opened the hatch.

A few minutes before 7AM Eastern, Isaacman went through the hatch and exited the vehicle, with the Dragon's camera capturing his silhouette against our planet as the backdrop. He then performed a series of mobility exercises as planned — the whole point of the spacewalk was to test SpaceX's new EVA suits — before going back into the capsule. "Back at home, we all have a lot of work to do," he said as he emerged from the vehicle. "But from here, it looks like a perfect world."

After he went back to his seat, SpaceX engineer Sarah Gillis geared up for her turn. She had to deal with the hatch seal bulging out a bit, but she was ultimately able to climb out of the hatch and do a series of mobility exercises like Isaacman did. Once she was done, the team closed the hatch and started repressurizing Dragon to equalize the atmosphere inside before checking the cabin for any leaks. By 7:55AM, Dragon's repressurization was complete, marking the completion of today's spacewalk.

Vlodril

Amazing visuals and the godamn balls these people have. They prepare for different problems etc but still.. It was suspenseful just watching this. Now if only the us bureaucracy let the damn starship make faster tries and not tie it down for months at a time.

sudolicious

Neo Member
I know nothing about space and stuff, so what I'm about to say may sound like coming from a 5yr old

aNTEwuL.png

I looove this image. We always see space depicted as this almost fantastic mysterious "sea of stars", portrayed in as this "world" that's ours to discover. When it's in fact actually quite literally nothing. An eternity(?) of nothing with some rocks of varying sizes thrown in there once every while. It's not even light or something, it's literally just nothing. Somehow that's fascinating.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Glad there is a thread on this. It's genuinely a massive moment for Humanity. That a private entity is able to go to space, roll down the windows and stick their heads out without dying is crazy when you think about it.

They also went the furthest out any human has been since the Moon missions earlier in the trip. It's small steps but in a year or two it's not unthinkable to see people doing private Moon orbits, while not just looking out of windows, but poking out of the capsule to take selfies. It might seem like a dumb waste of money to some of you but Space tourism is about to be a proper thing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m listening to the Elon Musk biography and he wanted to give humanity another option if we were to ever get destroyed or something. They’re one step closer. Crazy how Space X is slowly pushing us there.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I’ll have to launch a GoFundMe, like one of our ex-mods’ Titanic trip... :lollipop-medical:
Planetes is amazing. one of the best soft sci-fi space manga/anime. Moonlight Mile is another one. too bad it went into indefinite hiatus because of political reasons.
Loved Planetes, yeah. First time hearing about Moonlight Mile, though, so I’ll be sure to check it out.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
Loved Planetes, yeah. First time hearing about Moonlight Mile, though, so I’ll be sure to check it out.

I highly recommend the manga. the anime only covers a small portion of the early story. the manga was up to volume 23 before it stopped. the author is also the same artist who created Gundam Thunderbolt.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just imagine if they had done a fly by of the ISS and wrangled one of those stranded astronauts in for the ride home! Pretty sure the capsule they were in was basically a glorified bullet with little to no ability to maneuver but still amazing for a rich guy to risk his life that way when he could be chilling on a megayacht surrounded by his harem.

I know nothing about space and stuff, so what I'm about to say may sound like coming from a 5yr old

aNTEwuL.png

I looove this image. We always see space depicted as this almost fantastic mysterious "sea of stars", portrayed in as this "world" that's ours to discover. When it's in fact actually quite literally nothing. An eternity(?) of nothing with some rocks of varying sizes thrown in there once every while. It's not even light or something, it's literally just nothing. Somehow that's fascinating.
You'd probably see the "sea of light/stars" if you were up there yourself, the camera would have to be very underexposed to pick them up.
As from the words of Al Worden:
I curved around the moon to where no sunlight or Earthshine could reach me. The moon was a deep, solid circle of blackness, and I could only tell where it began by where the stars cut off. In the dark and quiet, I felt like a bird of the night, silently gliding and falling around the moon, never touching. I turned the cabin lights off. There was no end to the stars.

I could see tens, perhaps hundreds of times more stars than the clearest, darkest night on Earth. With no atmosphere to blur their light, I could see them all to the limits of my eyesight. There were so many, I could no longer find constellations. My vision was filled with a blaze of starlight.

Earth is where we belong, there is no use in looking outside of it, just a waste of resources to satisfy nonsensical human fantasies.

Getting off of this planet now is essential for not only humanity, but for Earth itself. Staying invites eventual resource wars and environmental disaster.
Humans getting off of Earth will be a net gain for humans, but a huge risk for any aliens in our interstellar vicinity. We are a bunch a of vicious evolved primates. I’ve often wondered if other species out there are as warlike as humans, or if that is just something specific to the human condition.

Diddy X

Getting off of this planet now is essential for not only humanity, but for Earth itself. Staying invites eventual resource wars and environmental disaster.
Humans getting off of Earth will be a net gain for humans, but a huge risk for any aliens in our interstellar vicinity. We are a bunch a of vicious evolved primates. I’ve often wondered if other species out there are as warlike as humans, or if that is just something specific to the human condition.

All fantasies bro, we're never gonna meet aliens nor is any of that stuff from movies going to happen, be humble and deal with it.

BlackTron

All fantasies bro, we're never gonna meet aliens nor is any of that stuff from movies going to happen, be humble and deal with it.

I agree with the thing about resources but he lost me with aliens. Double whammy assuming that if they are there, it's dangerous to them. Uh, yeah, humble check.

calistan

It depends on what scale you look at it. From the perspective of a person it's vast and empty, but then you look at a galaxy from a long way away and it appears pretty dense.

Then you step back even further and you get a broader view like this, which is an entire cluster of galaxies. And this is just a tiny sample of the universe, it's the same everywhere. So much stuff.

9B8Jb9i.jpeg

Plus, on the nano scale there's a continuous deluge of particles from space pinging into the earth, or even passing clean through it. And at a somewhat unimaginable scale there's the theory that universes (plural) are constantly inflating and colliding like bubbles in a bath, which is one that really hurts my head.

Tokio Blues

Gold Member
Planetes is amazing. one of the best soft sci-fi space manga/anime. Moonlight Mile is another one. too bad it went into indefinite hiatus because of political reasons.

Planetes is my favourite Manga by far. It's a perfect ride of emotions.

I didn't see the anime BTW.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Earth is where we belong, there is no use in looking outside of it, just a waste of resources to satisfy nonsensical human fantasies.
Progress is slow and incremental. We may not live to see the day these accomplishments bear fruit for all of humanity, but every step forward gets us closer to it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Progress is slow and incremental. We may not live to see the day these accomplishments bear fruit for all of humanity, but every step forward gets us closer to it.
But it is a good point. The cost if trying to colonize Mars or some other solar body is SO HIGH compared to just having folks live in massive sealed domes on earth. It's like the Moon. The allure of trying to reach that fast moving body distracts from likely more useful and easier work in a lagrange point or someplace like that. The notion that "we can just move to mars" is a potentially genocidal fantasy versus dealing with problems directly on earth (forci...err helping countries to stop dumping plastics, for example).

As cool an idea as it is, I don't see us ever getting to even an Expanse level of solar exploration, much less Trek type galactic spread, barring some totally novel propulsion tech.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
But it is a good point. The cost if trying to colonize Mars or some other solar body is SO HIGH compared to just having folks live in massive sealed domes on earth. It's like the Moon. The allure of trying to reach that fast moving body distracts from likely more useful and easier work in a lagrange point or someplace like that. The notion that "we can just move to mars" is a potentially genocidal fantasy versus dealing with problems directly on earth (forci...err helping countries to stop dumping plastics, for example).

As cool an idea as it is, I don't see us ever getting to even an Expanse level of solar exploration, much less Trek type galactic spread, barring some totally novel propulsion tech.
The investment in Space technology represents a fraction of a percent of global GDP. I'm not too concerned with whether or not it fulfills the wildest dreams of its inventors. Innovation in one field facilitates innovation in others. In other words, these advances will prove beneficial to humanity in additional ways, some not yet imagined.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The investment in Space technology represents a fraction of a percent of global GDP. I'm not too concerned with whether or not it fulfills the wildest dreams of its inventors. Innovation in one field facilitates innovation in others. In other words, these advances will prove beneficial to humanity in additional ways, some not yet imagined.
Yeah, but things like the Apollo program hit 0.4% of GDP, which is an ASTRONOMICAL sum for basically the privilege of bragging rights. To REALLY go for Mars or some other body would be an undertaking making the scale of the pyramids, Versailles, or other giant resource sinks seem like nothing. Then consider the cost of moving humans, at scale, from Earth to Mars. It's almost unfathomable barring some quantum shift in propulsion tech. It's easy to try to compare it to colonial expansion of the New World but that's so many orders of magnitude less difficult (hell, humans spread to oceanic islands practically BY ACCIDENT during storms, it's so easy to do!) that the comparison is potentially a fatal fallacy.

I'm not against space exploration, far from it, but you gotta really look at the inherent and unescapable difficulties that endeavor really poses and separate out the sci-fi fantasy. What SpaceX just accomplished is much closer to THIS than to what actual transplanet travel will need to be...

BJ5IFA4.jpeg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, but things like the Apollo program hit 0.4% of GDP, which is an ASTRONOMICAL sum for basically the privilege of bragging rights. To REALLY go for Mars or some other body would be an undertaking making the scale of the pyramids, Versailles, or other giant resource sinks seem like nothing. Then consider the cost of moving humans, at scale, from Earth to Mars. It's almost unfathomable barring some quantum shift in propulsion tech. It's easy to try to compare it to colonial expansion of the New World but that's so many orders of magnitude less difficult (hell, humans spread to oceanic islands practically BY ACCIDENT during storms, it's so easy to do!) that the comparison is potentially a fatal fallacy.

I'm not against space exploration, far from it, but you gotta really look at the inherent and unescapable difficulties that endeavor really poses and separate out the sci-fi fantasy. What SpaceX just accomplished is much closer to THIS than to what actual transplanet travel will need to be...

BJ5IFA4.jpeg

I think it's gonna remain tough until we bite the bullet and start raising select families in a space station or something. Get some people who space is all they know, positioned in some strategically placed halfway station, rearing children who are raised vocationally for engineering, science, or frontier work, and halve the effort by only having an Earth-to-halfway station crew and then a halfway station to Mars crew. Resources or components could be stored at base, and it's basically a trade route.

Imagine being biologically indistinct from someone like you or I, but having never set foot on Earth. Imagine growing up, doing your classroom studies and looking out the window and seeing the planet in the background. You'd have groups of cabin fever teens daydreaming about how FUCKING CRAZY it would be to be an Earth farmer, or a miner.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think it's gonna remain tough until we bite the bullet and start raising select families in a space station or something. Get some people who space is all they know, positioned in some strategically placed halfway station, rearing children who are raised vocationally for engineering, science, or frontier work, and halve the effort by only having an Earth-to-halfway station crew and then a halfway station to Mars crew. Resources or components could be stored at base, and it's basically a trade route.

Imagine being biologically indistinct from someone like you or I, but having never set foot on Earth. Imagine growing up, doing your classroom studies and looking out the window and seeing the planet in the background. You'd have groups of cabin fever teens daydreaming about how FUCKING CRAZY it would be to be an Earth farmer, or a miner.
Unfortunately I think living, much less growing up, in space, outside of something truly massive like an O'Neil cylinder, would be a death sentence. Between radiation, low/no gravity, and persistent risk of contamination from all the toxic shit you can't escape from in such an environment, I doubt you could set up any kind of enduring population in space.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Unfortunately I think living, much less growing up, in space, outside of something truly massive like an O'Neil cylinder, would be a death sentence. Between radiation, low/no gravity, and persistent risk of contamination from all the toxic shit you can't escape from in such an environment, I doubt you could set up any kind of enduring population in space.

Good point, it's a solution to a problem that creates eight more problems. Does make you wonder, though. If you research recent/contemporary human evolution, shit can change (rather) drastically between three-five generations. People in like Nepal have naturally evolved a higher tolerance to high terrain atmosphere/oxygen levels, for instance. I'd be morbidly curious about the results in a crazy "let's make space people," experiment.

The first ten or twenty years up there? Would probably suck badly enough that you'd want to use like a penal colony or something. But after that?! WHO KNOWS THE POSSIBILITIES?!

Additional trivia: I should never become a scientist.

finalflame

Wonder if either of these guys walked that moonlit mile with the crew :p

0JJE8Pv.jpeg

I mean, just look at that bedhead hair!!! :p

3vkRLHV.jpeg
Smash.

Also pretty cool these billionaires got to experience space, but not gonna lie I was hoping for an OceanGate repeat but live.

Last edited:
Top Bottom