• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever Shining Force scan...

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I've never played a Shining game, so I dunno what it's expected to look like, but what's there looks pretty great to me. The first poster says too much colour, but that's what appeals to me most.

Mama Smurf said:
I've never played a Shining game, so I dunno what it's expected to look like, but what's there looks pretty great to me. The first poster says too much colour, but that's what appeals to me most.

its a bad scan, thats what i ment to say

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
don't really dig the character designs, but the screens look good. seems to deviate at least somewhat from a standard, grid-based srpg. i'll always love shining force for introducing me to the srpg genre, and i'd love to see the series successfully modernized.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Yeah, my thing is, after playing games like disgaea and la pucelle, can i expect sega to make a worthwhile srpg?

Ecrofirt

MightyHedgehog said:
You lie! I'm getting a 'Forbidden' access error.

OK, looks good, but it's really difficult to make much out from those tiny pics.

I'm also getting a Forbidden error, and it's an hour later than when you said it. How very odd.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
paste the link into your address bar.

the more i look at those shots, the better i like them. huge enemies, really vivid colors, nice special effects. could be the first srpg this gen with passable graphics.

GhaleonEB

up5932.jpg

Looks awesome. Really, really awesome.

Newduck

Quite a big change in the art, a pretty drastic difference from Shining Tears, but the actual ingame screens look very nice.

sprsk

Both of the male characters do look a little........gay.

perhaps thsi is the first rpg with homosexual protagonists?

IJoel

sp0rsk said:
Both of the male characters do look a little........gay.

perhaps thsi is the first rpg with homosexual protagonists?

I thought Gaydars only came with gay people, or are they sold as separate attachments?

:p

sprsk

IJoel said:
I thought Gaydars only came with gay people, or are they sold as separate attachments?

:p

look at the guy in armors legs, that is definitely not the pose of a "masculine man"

Whats with the pointy eyebrows for the male characters? The art looks ok aside from the 2 redheaded characters who really look the same other than one having redder hair and a rounder face. The in game stuff looks great though.

ferricide

Shouta said:
Wow, that art looks like it was done by Nishiyama Yuriko.
what was your first clue, the big text down the right side that says "character design wa nishiyama yuriko sensei!!" ...? =) i thought you read japanese...?

who is she? that art fucking blowz imo.

Ill Saint

I don't mind it, really, but I gotta admit I would have loved to have seen the art style and flavour of the early MD / Genesis Shining games make a return. At least this is a huge improvement over the woeful Shining tears art. I never bitch about game art, but that stuff was just plain bad.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aside from the red-armored fruit, the artstyle reminds me more of Fire Emblem than Shining Force.

That said, it's awesome to finally see a Shining Force 4 materialize. I only hope that it arrives here, and doesn't suck.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Soul II was pretty decent. The first Shining Soul was an absolute wreck. I believe that the Shining Soul people are handling Shining Tears... and that Sega themselves (AV) are doing the PS2 Shining Force (they also did the GBA SF1 remake.) We shall see, however.

A little translation of the scan:

The grand RPG, Shining Force, a tale that describes the hero who holds the "force" of fate, is under development!! It includes a brand new system of many-to-many battle, also a system that allow you to enjoy developing your characters as well!
Character design is made by Seizan Yuriko, famous for manga "Dragon Voice" and "Harlem Beat".

*Words at the right of small pic1*
Centaur, beastman, bird man, and robot, all in the unique world of Shining Force.
*Words at the left of small pic2*
Weild all kinds of waspon and fight beside your partners. You may have to fight more than 20 enemies at a time! Behold of this powerful battle system!

*Character intro from left to right*
1. Mysterious man.
2. Mayriru - A bright and cheerful girl, even though she lost her parents. She has a crush on Max.
3. Max - His father was rumored to be the one who saved the star in the battle long ago. An earnest young man.

*The words at the right*
Character design by Seizen Yuriko from Dragon Voice!
The rebirthed "Shining Force", on PS2 next Spring!

Ill Saint

Mejilan said:
I meant the fruit armored fully in red.

With the womanish legs.

Argh...
Reminds me of Mahler from Fighting Vipers.

More than 20 enemies at a time, eh? It'll be interesting to see if they pull that off well.

sprsk

the art is done by a girl. makes sense then

im curious about this "many-to-many battle"

Top Bottom