• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 2 Review Hits Newsstands - Official Xbox Magazine Am Crying

novery

Today the December issue of Famitsu Xbox hit newsstands here in Japan with the first ever print review (to my knowledge) of Halo 2.

Halo 2 scored a 10, 9, 9, 9. for a total of 37/40

Xbox12.H1web.jpg

(For those curious, DOA Ultimate nabbed 10,9,9,8 for 36/40)

-rp

IJoel

SHENANIGANS ARE AFOOT!

Sony paid for those 9s!

Disappointment of the year!

har har har! nice score

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
new oxm has been on the newsstands all week, actually. their review is totally silly. there's a sealed section you have to tear open for SPOILERZZZ. and then when you tear it open there aren't any real spoilers inside. :/

GhaleonEB

IJoel said:
SHENANIGANS ARE AFOOT!

Sony paid for those 9s!

Disappointment of the year!

har har har! nice score

So, we have so far:

US OXM: 9.7
Some mag in Europe: 9.3
Australia OXM: 10
Famitsu XBox: 37/40 - 9.25 average (and Japan tends to dislike FPS)

So far, so good.

cvxfreak

Considering the Japanese take on FPS, and the deadliness of Xbox out there, then it's a good score indeed, but this is Famitsu Xbox, so expect a little bias.

MrparisSM

Banned
novery said:
Today the December issue of Famitsu Xbox hit newsstands here in Japan with the first ever print review (to my knowledge) of Halo 2.

Halo 2 scored a 10, 9, 9, 9. for a total of 37/40

Xbox12.H1web.jpg

(For those curious, DOA Ultimate nabbed 9,9,9,8 for 36/40)

-rp

That's a awesome score! Especially from a JPN publication(I know it's Xbox affiliated, but still)

Also great score for DOA Ultimate. :D

novery

Culex said:
I think the biggest question will be: how many people will buy the magazine to care?

According to Enterbrain, sales of Famitsu Xbox magazine hover around 150,000 per month. (Although I got this figure about six months ago. I imagine the reader base is smaller now.)

-rp

Memles

GhaleonEB said:
Famitsu: 37/40 - 9.25 average (and Japan tends to dislike FPS)

Not true, it is Famitsu XBox. By the same accord, taking Famitsu GC at the same value as Famitsu itself would not be wise.

Kon Tiki

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
So, we have so far:

US OXM: 9.7
Some mag in Europe: 9.3
Another mag in europe: 8.7
Australia OXM: 10
Famitsu: 37/40 - 9.25 average (and Japan tends to dislike FPS)

So far, so good.

:p

AniHawk

Also, I think Japanese reviewers aren't really turned off to FPSers as much as the Japanese public is.

Oh, and the 4 reviews for Halo 2 = 95.6%. W/ reviewers only, it's 94.3%.

ferricide

AniHawk said:
Also, I think Japanese reviewers aren't really turned off to FPSers as much as the Japanese public is.
definitely. regular famitsu can't even tell the difference between shitty western games and good ones. no, i don't have any specific examples off the top of my head.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It didn't have 'good' art, a 3rd person view and 8 hour cutscenes.

novery

Personally, I trust Famitsu Xbox reviews more than the trash Famitsu Weekly spews out every seven days. The Famitsu Xbox guys played through Halo 2 (because Enterbrain is the only media source in Japan allowed to play it before November 11. I know because I was turned down.)

On the flip side, do you really think the Famitsu Weekly reviewers have enough time to give each game an honest play-through before reviewing the title? I doubt it.

-rp

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
novery said:
On the flip side, do you really think the Famitsu Weekly reviewers have enough time to give each game an honest play-through before reviewing the title? I doubt it.
It's not the same four people reviewing games every week. They go in rotations.

novery

fennec fox said:
It's not the same four people reviewing games every week. They go in rotations.

Yeah, I'm aware. And I think I remember you criticizing Famitsu Weekly reviews a while back, too.

The point is, Famitsu Weekly reviews are trash. They rarely critique games. The three sentences they write on each game is more of an overview that reads like the back of the game's package.

-rp

GhaleonEB

novery said:
Yeah, I'm aware. And I think I remember you criticizing Famitsu Weekly reviews a while back, too.

The point is, Famitsu Weekly reviews are trash. They rarely critique games. The three sentences they write on each game is more of an overview that reads like the back of the game's package.

-rp

I've long hated that format. Give me 2000 words anytime.

GhaleonEB

UK OXM review is out:

10/10

Summary is as follows :

1. The AI is so entertaining in its own right, you almost don't have to play the game to enjoy it! Watching enemies fight is brilliant fun!

2. Almost every type of multiplayer setup has been catered for : Split-screen, System Link and Xbox Live. No Live co-op though.

3. Takes all the best bits from the original Halo and builds upon them with new features like dual wielding and vehicle hijacking.

4. Fifteen levels, all absolutely massive, and without any of the repetition that tarnished the prequel.

5. Some of the best graphics and art design in videogame history. A fascinating and unforgettable sci-fi vision.

The Verdict :-

We doubt you'll ever play a better single-player and multiplayer game on this generation of consoles.

10/10

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=304324

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Society said:
Eh? Best art design ever? That is kinda ... you know ... laughable.

Technologically great? Maybe.

Artwise? I don't think so

Kon Tiki

Banned
m0dus said:
I think the term you are looking for is "subjective". We wouldn't want to throw out generalizations, now would we? :D Either way, I wholly disagree with you--the tech designs was one of my main draws to the original game, and the added flare of the sequel just adds to the anticipation, for me. As always, to each his own.
Ya subjective came across my mind. If I were writing a professional review I would never say 'best art ever', since art is not something that can be judged.

GhaleonEB

Society said:
Ya subjective came across my mind. If I were writing a professional review I would never say 'best art ever', since art is not something that can be judged.

I would not go that far - that's like saying music and design are too subjective; this is a review and the subjective opinion of one person. But any claim of 'best art ever' is pretty dumb; had he said 'the art is excellent and does the job well' that might be more accurate.

Mashing

I never put much worth into platform specific magazines review scores as they are clearly trying to get people to buy more software for their platform or buy more hardware. Not that anything really wrong with that mind you, it just comprises their judgement I think.

But what do I know, I'm not a jounalist (farthest thing from it--I hate to write).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i love the art and designs... sure, its almost cheesy, but somehow it all works. its like star wrs in that sense. yes the aliens look kinda dumb, but it totally works and somehow it believable

Top Bottom