• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Images from 'Gladiator 2'

Draugoth

Gold Member
first-images-of-paul-mescal-and-pedro-pascal-in-ridley-v0-c142kzwjow9d1.jpeg

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Looks neat. Is it still about Maximus' son for some reason?

Edit: wait it's actually directed by Ridley Scott? Holy shit.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Strange that we have gladiators in the arena, equipped as roman legionaries, and not as gladiators.
Serious, not one single gladiator in those images, in a movie called gladiator.
And of course, as usual in Hollywood, no one uses helmets.
Worst yet, they are using black leather armor. Not lorica segmentata, or lorica hamata, or any real armor that a roman soldier would have used.
At least the gladius seems alright.

Ridley really has a issues with the most basic of historical accuracy.

SJRB

Gold Member
Strange that we have gladiators in the arena, equipped as roman legionaries, and not as gladiators.
Worst yet, they are using black leather armor. Not lorica segmentata, or lorica hamata, or any real armor that a roman soldier would have used.

After Napoleon it's safe to say he really doesn't give a shit about historical accuracy and just wants to tell a story.

winjer

Gold Member
Pedro looks like a random Hispanic guy in Roman cosplay. I hope his performance delivers.

You do realize that Hispania was a province of the Roman empire. And some famous Roman Emperors were from Hispania, such as Trajan, Hadrian.
In fact, it would be more common to find an Hispanic legionnaire, looking like Pedro Pascal, than to find a British Legionnaire, looking like Joseph Quinn.

Asides from that, yes, they look like cosplayers playing Romans. Not as realistic Roman soldiers.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It looks good. All of his films look spectacular. Whether it will be good is another story. I did like that last historical film he did with Matt Damon. Some minor complaints aside.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'll give a chance. Any excuse to see Connie Nielsen and Denzel Washington act in anything! Those two are national treasures IMO!

And in that one shot, my goodness! Joseph Quinn really DOES look a bit like RDJ! He was the best thing about Stranger Things season 4.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

From what I remember the first one was also highly stylized at the expense of historical accuracy. But at least it wasn't hundreds of millions over budget that time.

winjer

Gold Member
From what I remember the first one was also highly stylized at the expense of historical accuracy. But at least it wasn't hundreds of millions over budget that time.

It wasn't perfect, but nit as bad as this one.
For example, the movie starts with Russel Crow using lorica segmentata. Though as a gladiator, the had him using some sort of leather armor, not gladiator equipment.

You do realize that Hispania was a province of the Roman empire. And some famous Roman Emperors were from Hispania, such as Trajan, Hadrian.
In fact, it would be more common to find an Hispanic legionnaire, looking like Pedro Pascal, than to find a British Legionnaire, looking like Joseph Quinn.

Asides from that, yes, they look like cosplayers playing Romans. Not as realistic Roman soldiers.

To be fair Trajan and Hadrian were from Italica, a Roman veterans colonia.

winjer

Gold Member
To be fair Trajan and Hadrian were from Italica, a Roman veterans colonia.

Any roman soldier could get roman citizenship after 15 years. Roman veterans came from all around the empire.
There were several emperors from roman provinces outside the Italian peninsula.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Based on the pics, I'll take a guess:

Pedro = good guy warrior or slave
Denzel = good guy king or politician
That feminine looking actor = bad guy wormy politician

(Pedro also looks like the guy in the old Canadian show The Beachcombers)

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looks neat. Is it still about Maximus' son for some reason?
Maximus’ son is dead. This is about Lucius
15 years later living in the wilderness and believed to be dead.

Based on the pics, I'll take a guess:

Pedro = good guy warrior or slave
Denzel = good guy king or politician
That feminine looking actor = bad guy wormy politician

(Pedro also looks like the guy in the old Canadian show The Beachcombers)

Denzel is playing a former slave turned wealthy merchant named Macrinus. Pedro is Marcus Acacius who was a general and is forced to be a gladiator for insubordination.

The “feminine looking actor” is Joseph Quinn and he’s the co-Emperor Geta.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Look at Ridley's track record. Every historical movie he's made has been woefully inaccurate where they're borderline offensive. Not Braveheart levels of inaccuracy where the film might as well be fantasy, but not far off.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't know why anyone is looking for complete historical accuracy in movies like this.

I can understand if you're looking at more recent history like Malcolm X or MLK or JFK or Watergate or The Vietnam War or something like that.... But 99% of the viewing audience won't know what any of you lot are talking about ... They don't care about the historical accuracy of the type of armor any of them are wearing or what troop formations they're forming or anything like that. They just want an immersive and captivating story and viewing experience. Do they look cool? Do they remind people of what they THINK ancient Romans dressed like?

Shoot, Denzel is too dark to have played Malcolm X and not skinny enough... But he pulled out a great performance as El Hajj Malik El Shabazz.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't know why anyone is looking for complete historical accuracy in movies like this.

I can understand if you're looking at more recent history like Malcolm X or MLK or JFK or Watergate or The Vietnam War or something like that.... But 99% of the viewing audience won't know what any of you lot are talking about ... They don't care about the historical accuracy of the type of armor any of them are wearing or what troop formations they're forming or anything like that. They just want an immersive and captivating story and viewing experience. Do they look cool? Do they remind people of what they THINK ancient Romans dressed like?

Shoot, Denzel is too dark to have played Malcolm X and not skinny enough... But he pulled out a great performance as El Hajj Malik El Shabazz.
It’s a fictional story, so historical accuracy isn’t the problem per se. What we want is some level of authenticity to the period.

Top Bottom