• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Next Gen Only Sports Title helped PS5 and XS increase sales by 25% and 48% respectively. Cross gen must die.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
EA released their first next gen only sports game last month. Hardware sales went up by 25% on PS5, 48% on Xbox. It's so fucking crucial to get these casuals to upgrade and they WILL upgrade. But nope, Sony keeps porting their best selling MLB game to PS4, Activision has almost 40% of CoD users on last gen hardware. Sony and MS shouldve forced activision to cut the cord already.

This isnt the first time this has happened either. Last year, PS had the best Jan-March Quarter ever in its history because Hogwarts launched on next gen only consoles and became a best seller. Because it appealed to casuals and they couldnt play it on their last gen consoles. There is this really stupid mindset of making big IPs cross gen to maximize sales, so games like GT7, GOW and Horizon FW were made cross gen while smaller games like Ratchet, Retrunal, and demon Souls were allowed to remain next gen. Only problem is that you need the casuals even more than you need the hardcore who will buy your new console anyway. And casuals are the ones who make those games 20 million sellers and move consoles. PS5 had two consecutive quarters where they sold fewer units than they did last year despite releasing several next gen only games. Because aside from Helldivers 2 which was a massive success mostly on PC (topic for another day), most of those games dont appeal to casuals.

Meanwhile their MLB franchise which sits in the top 10 NPD chart every single year is still being ported to the PS4 4 years into the gen. We dont have to imagine the bump the console sales wouldve received if they had made it next gen only because we now have data on what happens when you release a game casuals really want to play. Hogwarts, College Football have helped revitalize console sales. Just imagine if Fortnite and CoD were next gen only. Or Halo infinite or forza horizon 5. Maybe things might have been different for Team Xbox.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I do not understand how it is still a thing, its not like it is easy to write (especially PS5 games, which runs native, not in BC mode) to Jaguar as well as Zen2. GPU, I mean X1X is faster than XSS, but the CPU is the bitch. Current gen is readily available, its cheap, so why would anyone be on X1S or PS4 OG is beyond me. Who are the main buyer of new games that is. You are fucking yourself over to play it on old systems...

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Imagine call of duty exclusive on xbox series X only!!!!

09048c22163ed65e5adff28ba0f87deb.jpg

ByWatterson

The continued support of last generation hardware for this long has probably, in the long run, been harmful for the industry.

Eh, not sure about that. It means publishers make more money and that gamers of a wide variety of incomes can stay involved.

Given that graphics are and have been for some time in the area of diminishing returns, I think we'll occupy a two-console space for a very long while going forward. Especially with SSDs now being standard, I'd be shocked if the PS5/PS6 crossgen era wasn't even longer than the one we're currently in.

SlimySnake

I do not understand how it is still a thing, its not like it is easy to write (especially PS5 games, which runs native, not in BC mode) to Jaguar as well as Zen2. GPU, I mean X1X is faster than XSS, but the CPU is the bitch. Current gen is readily available, its cheap, so why would anyone be on X1S or PS4 OG is beyond me. Who are the main buyer of new games that is. You are fucking yourself over to play it on old systems...
I think its because publishers have given them that option to continue playing on last gen hardware. Take that away and they are forced to upgrade.

People had so much money from covid handouts and the mini economic boom we had immediately post covid lockdowns, and these morons over at Sony and MS let consumers spend all that cash on other products.

It makes no difference in sports games if you cut the cord on last gen , the game isn’t gonna be a big step forward anyway . And why do ppl even care if ps4 is included if the game is made for ps5 they can always down grade the game for ps4 and remove features

Mownoc

Hopefully we keep getting those cross gen port till the generation end, because it's clear that the current gen simply is not worth upgrading to.
Yeah just like on pc it's not worth upgrading from a GTX 670, a crappy mechanical HDD or a 3rd gen i3.

720p, 30fps and minute long load times are just fine.

HL3.exe

Yep, kinda crazy that new games still get announce for cross gen 4, almost 5 years in

Atomfall, also on PS4.

Its because the technical jump from 8th to 9 gen isn't that severe and most game concepts can still run on 11+ year old CPUs. It's only visuals that differ. The underlying design concepts, simulation complexity and game-logic is still rooted in 7th gen in some ways. Kinda crazy.

Makes ya wish for the days of those insane leaps like MGS1 -> 2, or San Andreas -> GTA IV or HL1 -> HL2. Most mainstream designs technically stagnated around the 2010's.

Goes on to show how important casuals are for the market.

People might diss on these games here but if they go away, market would be down to 10-20 million install base for consoles.

deeptech

Holy shit, alright man, but I have to say you sound like you're somehow winning if all these people buy new consoles and mad if they don't, if the sales charts go up and corps are profiting. I mean no offense, but it's kinda embarrassing to me. Perhaps you're on the marketing board or secretly CEO of both these damn companies.

Darsxx82

I could add that also that it is exclusive to consoles (XS and PS5)

The most followed sports game in USA + franchise that people were looking forward to + the game has turned out to be very good in its genre......

That is, a mass game in the USA that to play it you need a PS5 or an XSeries.

The problem with this strategy is that, although in the long run it will be more beneficial by expanding the user base of new consoles, today the user base of XBO and PS4 and the income they generate are too large to give up. they. Shareholders do not want to see a decrease in income.

This is the reason why this strategy was decided with CF2024 and not with Madden25.

clarky

Gold Member
From a platform holders point of view does it matter where you play? they get the same cut from sales regardless of if you are on last gen or this gen.

Xbox sell the series consoles at a loss and playstation makes very little the PS5 so i dont think it matters to them where you play.

The only people to benefit is us gamers and they dont give a fuck about that as we all know.

Last edited:
The sales benefits of crossgen is a myth.

People want to upgrade, but they need a reason.

This. All my friends still on last gen always say the same thing, that there aren't enough games to justify the upgrade. GTAVI will be the game that forces people to finally upgrade but that game is coming 5 (6?) years into the gen.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Wasn't this NCAA Football 25? It probably helped that it has been 10 years since the last release of the series.

pasterpl

Because there are not many next gen only games, many are remakes and remasters. The biggest franchises are still on cross-gen. Why would you buy new gen console if most games you can play on you previous gen hardware. Some resolution and more stable FPS are not enough for people to jump in.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Because there are not many next gen only games, many are remakes and remasters. The biggest franchises are still on cross-gen. Why would you buy new gen console if most games you can play on you previous gen hardware. Some resolution and more stable FPS are not enough for people to jump in.
Well it has been 9 years since DX12 and there are games which are still using Direct X11, wonder why such sudden stall of technology innovation... Well given that I also worked on games, I kind of knew the behind the scenes situation and there are simply not enough skilled engineers, every one is script kiddie

ReBurn

Gold Member
Making Call of Duty or FIFA cost $570 isn't going to suddenly make everyone upgrade. It's just going to price a lot of multiplayer and low income gamers out. Also, what does it matter if the annual same-as-last-year franchises are cross gen? It's not like current gen only is going to vastly improve factory-produced EA and Activision games.

feynoob

Banned
Making Call of Duty or FIFA cost $570 isn't going to suddenly make everyone upgrade. It's just going to price a lot of multiplayer and low income gamers out. Also, what does it matter if the annual same-as-last-year franchises are cross gen? It's not like current gen only is going to vastly improve factory-produced EA and Activision games.
Not to mention, there isnt that much benefits to begin with. Ps3 to PS4 was huge upgrade. PS4 to PS5 isn't that much of an upgrade, with PS4 pro in the mix.

It's important for the core audience too, but they won't feel it til later. I never used to miss a Playstation launch, but with how long this cross-gen fiasco has gone on there's zero chance I'll be getting a PS6 at launch. They've lost my trust that there will be any reason to for at least 3-4 years. I know I won't be alone.

Last edited:

KevinK15

Neo Member
EAFC 24 sold more on PS4 than PS5. From a company perspective, why kills a cash cow. I hate the lack of true next gen development. But they are in business to make money. A lot of countries buying these games cannot afford a PS5, but will continue to buy EAFC and the numbers show. NCAA in the US is just a minor bleep on the radar compared to the revenue EAFC provides. Even F1.

SlimySnake

I could add that also that it is exclusive to consoles (XS and PS5)

The most followed sports game in USA + franchise that people were looking forward to + the game has turned out to be very good in its genre......

That is, a mass game in the USA that to play it you need a PS5 or an XSeries.

The problem with this strategy is that, although in the long run it will be more beneficial by expanding the user base of new consoles, today the user base of XBO and PS4 and the income they generate are too large to give up. they. Shareholders do not want to see a decrease in income.

This is the reason why this strategy was decided with CF2024 and not with Madden25.
Just like Hogwarts, College Football instantly became the best selling game of the year. Shareholders need to be told to go suck a dick. This IS the console business, always has been for 9 generations. If shareholders dont understand it, they need to have it explained to them. The revenues will follow if the game is good. People WILL plunk down $500 on a console to play a game they want to play.

if they are still not happy then show them the fact that you are charging an extra $10 for next gen versions and they will quiet back down. If they still dont then Sony and MS need to show them that sales of their consoles are slowing down compared to last gen around the same time and that they need these casual franchises to drop last gen or risk a decrease in income. We have maxed out hardcore gamer sales, its time to go after casuals and releasing last gen versions of Madden, Fifa, Cod and MLB just tells them to hold off for one more year.

onQ123

This ignores the fact that this is a game series that hasn't released in 10 years so it's not just the fact that it was next gen only that pushed hardware.

The people who were waiting for NCAA to buy a console would actually be still on PS3 & Xbox 360 😂
FZngDD6.png

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think its because publishers have given them that option to continue playing on last gen hardware. Take that away and they are forced to upgrade.

People had so much money from covid handouts and the mini economic boom we had immediately post covid lockdowns, and these morons over at Sony and MS let consumers spend all that cash on other products.

That's a little harsh.

SlimySnake

This ignores the fact that this is a game series that hasn't released in 10 years so it's not just the fact that it was next gen only that pushed hardware.
The fact that it could only be had on next gen hardware is precisely why it pushed hardware.

Three

EAFC 24 sold more on PS4 than PS5. From a company perspective, why kills a cash cow. I hate the lack of true next gen development. But they are in business to make money. A lot of countries buying these games cannot afford a PS5, but will continue to buy EAFC and the numbers show. NCAA in the US is just a minor bleep on the radar compared to the revenue EAFC provides. Even F1.
You buy the PS4 version you get the PS5 version too. This is why:

Last edited:

SHA

AI can create 2 separate versions, it doesn't matter, you could make Death Stranding on ps1, it's on YouTube.

The console manufacturers should be producing killer apps which demonstrate the unique benefits of the new hardware.

But two of them have not. So for many people (including me still using my 1080p Plasma), this "next gen" has just been another optional pro edition of the old ps4 / xbone platforms.

Unless manufacturers change (and tech limitations may mean that's easier said than done), people will upgrade consoles as regularly as DVD players.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Yah, those 3rd party publisher has no obligation to help console makers sell consoles.

RCU005

Sure, but removing the last gen versions will make the publishers lose an XX amount of millions of dollars.

But why that didn't apply when they moved from PS1 to PS2, even from PS2 to PS3, and then PS3 to PS4.

I don't understand their insistence on last generation. Never have they done that. Even when the PS3 initially failed, they still made tons of PS3 exclusive games, which are still great today. PS4 success was in major part due to Sony wanting to start from scratch and made everything to forget the PS3 development nightmare, so practically all games were exclusive to PS4.

Of course at the beginning they will "lose" money, but by this time, PS4 games shouldn't even exist outside of 2 or 3 exceptions. There are even games that are NOT releasing on PS5, but only on PS4! What the hell is that? Yes, you can play them via BC, but it's extremely bizarre.

It's like Sony said: You were whining about BC, well, now you get your BC forever! We won't ever move on.

Top Bottom