• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Next Gen Only Sports Title helped PS5 and XS increase sales by 25% and 48% respectively. Cross gen must die.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But why that didn't apply when they moved from PS1 to PS2, even from PS2 to PS3, and then PS3 to PS4.

Because the tech wasn't like this back then. Nowadays games are all built on homogeneous cross-gen compatible engines. It wouldn't have taken a bespoke team or require the kind of compromise that say a Shadow of Mordor required for its PS3 port versus the PS4 one.

Of course this doesn't apply to all games, you aren't gonna see a game like Black Myth: Wukong running on PS4 cause that game's built on tech that exceeds the PS4 spec hardware.

It's like Sony said: You were whining about BC, well, now you get your BC forever! We won't ever move on.

I don't think this qualifies as BC.

Last edited:

RCU005

Of course this doesn't apply to all games, you aren't gonna see a game like Black Myth: Wukong running on PS4 cause that game's built on tech that exceeds the PS4 spec hardware.

But then isn't this the purpose of new generations of hardware? To make games that are built for newer tech not possible before?

What's going to happen with the PS6. If it's the same architecture, will we still get cross gen games with PS4 on PS6? I know mobile games are compatible with older hardware and whatnot, but most people don't buy a phone to specifically play games, it's at least a secondary function.

Speaking about phones, I remember thinking that the iPhone would someday become as powerful as a Mac and will have all the features possible on a Mac, however, they have been making the Mac more as the iPhone and have been removing features from some apps to accommodate the parity in both versions It's ridiculous! And now that an iPhone, iPad and Mac are literally the same, features haven't come back.

So, I guess it wouldn't be surprising to see PS4 games during PS6 gen.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't get it. If people are happy, why should we wish them to be forced to buy new hardware?

This would be like Nvidia 40xx graphics card owners demanding that Nvidia stop providing new drivers for cards older than Ampere (30xx), because otherwise game developers will never utilize the advanced features of newer cards and keep supporting Steamdeck's potato graphics.

onQ123

The fact that it could only be had on next gen hardware is precisely why it pushed hardware.
Lol I'm pretty sure it would have giving about the same boost in hardware if there was PS4 & Xbox One ports the game hasn't released in 10 years. It's a market that hasn't been covered for 10 years .

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Yeah just like on pc it's not worth upgrading from a GTX 670, a crappy mechanical HDD or a 3rd gen i3.

720p, 30fps and minute long load times are just fine.
I play games, not graphics. I upgrade when new games offer new features that are not possible on older hardware. If the only thing you can do with newer hardware is increase resolution, there is hardly any reason to upgrade. Unless you have really low standards.

Which upcoming AAA games are even cross-gen at this point? CoD I guess? But CoD visuals are great either way. Maybe you expect that with more hardware power, CoD gameplay be revolutionary😂

Mownoc

I play games, not graphics. I upgrade when new games offer new features that are not possible on older hardware. If the only thing you can do with newer hardware is increase resolution, there is hardly any reason to upgrade. Unless you have really low standards.
Being ok playing with crappy performance on 2013 hardware is really low standards if you ask me. But there are a lot of enhancements beyond graphics on ps5/xsx.

Last edited:

KevinK15

Neo Member
You buy the PS4 version you get the PS5 version too. This is why:

Of course, but a lot of places are simply not buying PS5. For example a lot of South American countries, a PS5 is double if not almost triple the cost that we pay in North America. Sure they get dual entitlement, but they simply can't afford. Hence why games like EAFC and F1 sell more on PS4 than PS5.

Three

Of course, but a lot of places are simply not buying PS5. For example a lot of South American countries, a PS5 is double if not almost triple the cost that we pay in North America. Sure they get dual entitlement, but they simply can't afford. Hence why games like EAFC and F1 sell more on PS4 than PS5.
Yeah, in places like the US the PS5 is doing better than PS4 consoles sold but the cost reduction in hardware just hasn't been there this gen to make headway in other regions like South America so adoption is only 1-2M behind globally.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
But why that didn't apply when they moved from PS1 to PS2, even from PS2 to PS3, and then PS3 to PS4.

I don't understand their insistence on last generation. Never have they done that. Even when the PS3 initially failed, they still made tons of PS3 exclusive games, which are still great today. PS4 success was in major part due to Sony wanting to start from scratch and made everything to forget the PS3 development nightmare, so practically all games were exclusive to PS4.

Of course at the beginning they will "lose" money, but by this time, PS4 games shouldn't even exist outside of 2 or 3 exceptions. There are even games that are NOT releasing on PS5, but only on PS4! What the hell is that? Yes, you can play them via BC, but it's extremely bizarre.

It's like Sony said: You were whining about BC, well, now you get your BC forever! We won't ever move on.
la-playstation-5-depasse-les-20-millions-de-consoles-dans-le-monde-bd3abb78__w1280.png

See if you can figure out if a long cross gen is working out for them or not.
Cross gen will be the norm going forward.

trikster40

It had nothing to do with next-gen only, but everything to do with the first College football game in 10a+ years.

If they had put it in ps4 and x1, sales would have still gone up across the board.

jm89

PS4 version of fifa will probably come out for the rest of the gen and probably stop being made early next gen.

Only way EA can be forced to go current gen only is if consumers stop buying the ps4 version or sony no longer allows ps4 games being released.

We know neither of those is happening anytime soon.

I think it's pretty positive that those people could still play their sports games on old hardware. Seems scummy to force them to buy an expensive system they don't really want/need just to play FIFA or Madden.

Fbh

Gold Member
Nah, please continue giving me cross gen.
In fact one of the things that has me most excited about the Switch 2 is that if it has Ps4 level performance and is as big of a success as the OG switch it will probably keep a lot of devs making cross gen tier titles to be able to easily port and release them on the Switch 2.

Like if, IDK, the next mainline Final Fantasy is designed to also be on Switch it will actually run at 60fps with good IQ more powerful consoles, and maybe they will actually be able to focus on making the game good instead of seemingly every resource going towards graphics.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Being ok playing with crappy performance on 2013 hardware is really low standards if you ask me. But there are a lot of enhancements beyond graphics on ps5/xsx.
Yeah, maybe low standards is not the right choice of words, more of valuing my own money. Besides, playing on series s means playing 30fps on 1080, or 900p, most of the times. I don't see this as unplayable.

Also, regarding load times, series s use the exact same technology, so there is no gain going for series x in this regard.

By this point in the ps4s life you could get a new one for $299.

Ps5 is still $499 because the components aren't becoming cheaper to produce over time. As they were with ps4.

At least thats what Sony said.

Thats a huge reason alot of people haven't switched to ps5 yet.

Top Bottom