• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First photo from the set of 'WARCRAFT'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcetti

They're probably just some low-level noobs.

The movie better not climax with a group of noobies wiping in Deadmines. Or actually that might be amazing.

Also, the movie has to have a scene where someone dies because he didn't move away from fire on the floor.

tanooki27

so is warcraft "real" or a computer game in this movie? it'd be cool if there were some metanarrative with dudes/dudettes chilling at their computers.

I hope there is a special feature on the DVD that shows everyone's name and guild affiliation above their head. Also, until a trailer, not sure how to feel about this.

But I'm easily amused, so I'll enjoy it regardless.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I'm assuming the plot is (WARCRAFT III/FROZEN THRONE spolier)
Arthas becoming the Lich King and destroying his homeland
because that's the most gripping plot thread in all of Blizzard?

Warcraft 1 - WC3 TFT was pretty damn amazing story wise it built the WoW world....then they proceeded to burn most of that down in the name of the pharm loots. Most of those heroes are dead....not by the finishing of the story but by <Malice> in a 30 man raid....ugh.

malfurion...you were supposed to FIND ILLIDAN, and holy shit Kaelthas...your girl shes undead! do you give a shit? The lost orc heroes from the dark portal wc2 YOURE ALIVE!...and farmed...

ironically they couldn't figure out a way to make Turalyon and Alleria "go mad" hence they never made them farm food. But ya never know i stopped playing years ago.

Nokterian

I have to admit...it's pretty cool seeing the Alliance crest in a live-action setting. Even if it's just a tiny blip in the background. Also, given the blue and silver armor of the guards, plus the apparently circular architecture of the set and the distinctly Alliance crests in the background - it's very likely that's the Stormwind throne room.

R3umswu.jpg

YDJQy2a.jpg

It's indeed the throneroom. I am pretty excited for this. Duncan knows his stuff and he is a good director.

Won

This is going to look really weird if they stick to the cartoon look like that. I will attribute that to the low quality of the photo for now.

I've very optimistic about this.

• Duncan Jones is great.
  • Costumes/suits touched up by CGI, instead of plasticky CGI all by itself.
  • Plot actually starting at the (less marketable) beginning, with Warcraft: Orcs and Humans.

Loxley

Because it proves that the movie is out of production hell and is actively being shot.

It actually seems like once Jones came on board, everything pretty much smoothed out from there. He clearly had an idea in mind for what direction to go in with the film's story and tone, and clearly Blizzard were all for it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It actually seems like once Jones came on board, everything pretty much smoothed out from there. He clearly had an idea in mind for what direction to go in with the film's story and tone, and clearly Blizzard were all for it.

Definitely. I'm not sure if it was stated at the Blizzcon where Duncan Jones attended, but it wouldn't surprise me if he suggested the first war conflict as the basis for a movie and Blizzard liked it.

It seemed that everything else prior was all about what later story they were going to do; was it going to be just a re-telling of Arthas Menethil's life or something to do with Night Elves etc.

Loxley

Definitely. I'm not sure if it was stated at the Blizzcon where Duncan Jones attended, but it wouldn't surprise me if he suggested the first war conflict as the basis for a movie and Blizzard liked it.

It seemed that everything else prior was all about what later story they were going to do; was it going to be just a re-telling of Arthas Menethil's life or something to do with Night Elves etc.

Yep, it was pretty heavily implied during the panel by Metzen that back when Raimi was attached to direct, the story was very Alliance-centric. Once Jones came aboard, he wanted to tell a more balanced story between Orcs and Humans and spread the love equally. Really that whole panel convinced me that he was the perfect guy for the job, and it's why I have faith that this movie won't be a heaping turd.

(Link to the Warcraft movie panel from BlizzCon 2013 for those haven't seen it but may be interested)

Interesting interview with Raimi that mentions why he left:

What was the biggest obstacle on that project?
Robert Rodat was working on the script, and it was taking a long time. I think they were getting a little antsy at Legendary, the production company. Actually, what happened was even more complicated, so let me go back a little bit. First, they asked me if I wanted to make it, and I said, "Yes, I love World of Warcraft, and I think it would make a great picture." So I read a screenplay they had that was written by the guys at [Warcraft developer] Blizzard, and it didn't quite work for me. I told them I wanted to make my own original story with Robert, so we pitched it to Legendary and they accepted it, and then we pitched it to Blizzard, and they had reservations, but they accepted it. Then Robert wrote the screenplay, and only once he was done did we realize that Blizzard had veto power, and we didn't know that. And they had never quite approved the original story we pitched them. Those reservations were their way of saying, "We don't approve this story, and we want to go a different way," so after we had spent nine months working on this thing, we basically had to start over. And Robert did start over, but it was taking too long for the people at Blizzard, and their patience ran out. Honestly, I think it was mismanagement on their behalf, not to explain to us that the first story was vetoed long ago. Why did they let us keep working on it? Were they afraid to tell me?
http://www.vulture.com/2013/03/sam-raimi-on-oz-and-two-huge-films-he-never-made.html

Jacob

I had heard of this movie, but I didn't follow news about it and sort of assumed it had been lost to development hell forever. Like many others, I enjoyed Moon and Source Code, so I will at least give this a shot when it comes out (unless the trailers and/or reviews are completely terrible).

Abounder

Banned
Please let the noble savage Orcs be the true heroes or at least make them the most likable characters. For the horde!

bfwings55

I can't believe people are saying it looks terrible from a magazine photo of an on-set camera feed monitor that has not been edited in any way and might not even have the real actors in the frame

Jesus christ gaf

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wait, this is actually happening? Been hearing about this for like 6 years now, I thought it would never happen.

Saganator

I'm interested to see how they depict Orcs and the Horde in general.

edit:

Wow did not know the guy who wrote and directed Moon is doing this. A bit more intrigued now. Moon is up there in my top 10 fav movies.

xenist

I'm excited because Duncan Jones is making a fantasy movie. The facts that the movie is based on Warcraft and that he's a gamer are just gravy on top.

I can't believe people are saying it looks terrible from a magazine photo of an on-set camera feed monitor that has not been edited in any way and might not even have the real actors in the frame

Jesus christ gaf

People dont know shit how movies are made on a game forum.

i'm still kinda bummed sam raimi isn't directing this anymore. but then again, the old great raimi doesn't shine too well for me the higher his budget gets.

duncan jones will be interesting. his first was great, his second was decent his third will be ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom