• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flavors (natural or artificial) you prefer that are not from their natural source

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I hate strawberries. I just don't like the texture of them when I bite into them. However, I love strawberry flavored things such as strawberry Twizzlers or Jello (having one right now). Now, that's probably artificial flavoring, but I'm sure if it were natural, I'd like it just the same. I just can't stand strawberries themselves. Are there examples of a flavoring that you like, but dislike the actual food it's derived from?

Fun note for people who say banana: It's said that the artificial banana flavor is not based on the bananas we're used to (Cavendish), but rather a cultivar called Gros Michel that used to be the main type of banana up until the 50's/60's, when they were wiped out by a disease. It was said to have a thicker outer skin, allowing for longer shelf life and had a more banana-y flavor. Apparently, the same fate is said to eventually be possible with the Cavendish bananas.

BriGuy

Strawberry is a big one. Maybe watermelon too. I don't hate it, but I like artifical watermelon more. It's like its own thing and tastes nothing like the source material.

Yep. I don't like actual raspberries, but I like raspberry flavored things.

Well, raspberries do have those weird hair like things, so I don't blame you.

Strawberry is a big one. Maybe watermelon too. I don't hate it, but I like artifical watermelon more. It's like its own thing and tastes nothing like the source material.

I definitely prefer real watermelon. In fact, when I find watermelon "juice", it always has other juices with it. Real watermelon juice is oddly expensive. Not sure why.

Kayhan

wat

This thread is so weird and I can't relate at all.

Yeah, I will just have the fresh strawberries and raspberries...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
In most places, Strawberries are only good 2 weeks per year around early May. These strawberries are fucking delicious, sweet, sour, tangy, and deep red. They are a completely different fruit than strawberries the other 50 weeks of the year.

Artificial flavor is better than the out of season so I get that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Strawberry, raspberry, lemon, orange, blackcurrant, grape, and lime.

Not a big fan of bananas, but especially dislike an artificial banana flavour.

I honestly can not relate to any of this.

Wait, maybe.

I think I like fake almond flavors in almond milk pudding and almond milk tea more than actual ground up almonds?

They don't use real almonds in that stuff do they?
Almond milk is just almond juice (ground almonds + water), not almond flavored milk.... so yes they do.

I like artificial banana taste much, much more than real bananas. This is also true for airheads watermelon, but not jolly rancher watermelon.

But I like real cherries a lot more than fake cherry.

kamakazi5

I prefer things flavored like banana way more than actual bananas. I also don't really care for watermelon flavored items.

Fnord

Maple syrup. I've tried, but I just don't like the real stuff. But I really, really like the artificial stuff (Mrs. Buttersworth, Log Cabin, etc...).

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Coffee is the first thing that comes to mind. Don't really care for coffee itself, but coffee flavouring in other things? Yes please.

MIMIC

Banned

Heh. My brother is the exact opposite. He is absolutely disgusted by watermelon "flavor."

Geist-

For me, I hate strawberries. I just don't like the texture of them when I bite into them. However, I love strawberry flavored things such as strawberry Twizzlers or Jello (having one right now). Now, that's probably artificial flavoring, but I'm sure if it were natural, I'd like it just the same. I just can't stand strawberries themselves. Are there examples of a flavoring that you like, but dislike the actual food it's derived from?
I'm literally the exact opposite. I love fresh strawberries, I try to put them on as many desserts as possible. Strawberry candy though? Disgusting, can't stand it. Strawberry being added to Mike and Ike's is one of my worst memories because I could no longer just poor them into my mouth.

The closest thing I can say is maybe cherry flavoring. I love cherry candy, but only a little more than fresh cherries.

I like watermelon, but artificial watermelon flavor is soooooooooooo good. Same with green apples.

I flat out don't like blueberries but loooooooooooove artificial blueberry flavoring, so that's my answer!

wat

This thread is so weird and I can't relate at all.

Yeah, I will just have the fresh strawberries and raspberries...
I find this thread extraordinarily relatable, which isn't common here!

I like bananas but find banana flavoring disgusting.
Agreed!

Kas

I love artificial cotton candy flavoring since only fair cotton candy tastes like it. All the other stuff doesn't.

Noks415

Blue raspberry is dope. Actually now that I think about it that might be a completely artificial flavor unless there are actual blue raspberries.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
There are few things I like more than a juicy, in season strawberry. Can't relate to that. Actually I think most fruit (when in season and in ideal condition) tastes better than its artificial counterparts.

Mortemis

Banned
Oranges and I really don't get along, I hate orange juice and only a few kinds of oranges are good to me. Orange flavoring though depending on what is nice.

Going the other way, bananas are amazing, eat one or more a day. But artificial banana flavoring can go somewhere.

Is there any truth that banana flavouring is based off what the extinct banana species tasted like before they were wiped out which is why it tastes nothing like today's cloned cavendish bananas?

DiscoJer

Strawberries, definitely. Starburst comes to mind. I love Strawberry starburst.

And purple candy, which I guess is grape, but I don't really like either purple or green grapes.

OTOH, I love cherries in real life, but almost always hate cherry candy.

retroman

Is there any truth that banana flavouring is based off what the extinct banana species tasted like before they were wiped out which is why it tastes nothing like today's cloned cavendish bananas?

From Wikipedia:

"There is an urban legend that artificial banana flavour tastes "fake" because it was intended to mimic the flavour of the 'Gros Michel' and not the Cavendish banana. This is due to the main chemical in banana flavoring to be isoamyl acetate, the same chemical found in all bananas. Isoamyl acetate is popular due to it being a versatile and easy to work with compound. It is perceived to be closer in taste to a Gros Michel banana due to that strain having a higher concentration of that chemical and fewer "volatile components" that are found in other bananas. The Cavendish banana has a lot more complexity in its makeup, and therefore tastes less like pure isoamyl acetate. Whether or not banana flavorings were purposely designed to taste more like Gros Michel is unknown."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gros_Michel_banana

akira28

that snopes article kind of does the opposite of what it intends.

"castoreum is safe, non-toxic, and totally ok to use. foodies wouldn't use it because you have to pull it out of a beaver's ass and that's hard to do and also gross.(Lets ignore the industrial process that has never balked at such concerns ever.) a long time ago it was used as a food additive. One of those food additives is now exceedingly available in the form of natural\artificial vanilla flavors. however we won't address the raspberry\strawberry flavor issue. Its really rare for this stuff to be used as a food additive. But if you did, it would be totally ok. "

I guess snopes. I guess. "Mostly false."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom