• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man Says His Galaxy Note 7 Exploded and Set His Jeep on Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
98870892-young-hodor-large_trans++-vc9zZQdCQbz6zmclXDeAbVaPWbi5A4PlmVKVUpz9HA.jpg

Shireen's phone of choice.

People still calling bullshit...because, why? We know there are multiple cases of the phones exploding and an actual recall issued by Samsung.

Another story popped up, someone's garage caught on fire and guess what is plugged in being charged, a Note 7.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/8/12855352/samsung-note-7-recall-fires

The Verge said:
If nothing else, these stories serve to remind that recalls are pretty serious. If you're still hanging onto a Note 7, return it and wait for Samsung's replacement devices to arrive over the next couple weeks. There's no easy way of telling if your battery is at risk, and it's just not worth chancing personal injury or loss of property.

And that's all there really is to it. Stop being stupid and return your phone.

Nevasleep

My wife and I went in to do the recall at the Verizon store on Tuesday and the rep there said the battery problem only occurred within the first few days and since it hadn't happened to the phone yet we didn't have anything to worry about.

This was after he had to check to see if we could even do the recall since we threw the box away already.

He explained that it's not even an official recall, but rather a voluntary one and there was nothing to worry about.
I'd check that with Samsung tbh.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
My wife and I went in to do the recall at the Verizon store on Tuesday and the rep there said the battery problem only occurred within the first few days and since it hadn't happened to the phone yet we didn't have anything to worry about.

This was after he had to check to see if we could even do the recall since we threw the box away already.

He explained that it's not even an official recall, but rather a voluntary one and there was nothing to worry about.

Get it in writing so if it ever explodes and fucks you or your wife up you can sue Verizon for millions for not allowing you to return it and saying it was voluntary better yet get them to write that you are not in any sort of risk.

Verizon are dumb as fuck lol. Would never accept such a reply.

Looks like an incendiary fire to me. And why were the doors/possibly Windows left open so it could get worse? In that hit Florida sun?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Looks like an incendiary fire to me. And why were the doors/possibly Windows left open so it could get worse? In that hit Florida sun?

A news program here few weeks back showed how powerful these batteries are in phones when things go wrong. Can't find the link but this youtube video is a mini version of what they showed off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ8IsMRFM5o

The battery in the phones were much more dangerous and could fuck shit up hardcore.

Edit: And, I believe the man is telling the truth.

Turnstyle

I always leave the windows of my car open when its hot and I am just going out of the car for a couple of minutes.

I'm not #TeamTrue or #TeamLie, but I do want to point out that running your AC to cool down a car (as this guy said he was doing) with the windows open is really inefficient.

Probably the least of his concerns at the moment, tbf.

I came in here expecting a story of a guy getting drunk and blowing his car up while blaming it on his phone.

Holy hell, this goes above and beyond the usual glitch.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
These need to be banned from flying

Here in Australia they are not fucking around regarding the Note 7.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-airlines-samsung-idUSKCN11E0V8

"Following Samsung Australia's recall of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 personal electronic device we are requesting that passengers who own them do not switch on or charge them in flight," a Qantas spokesman said in an emailed statement.

Samsung Australia said in a statement that it had liaised with Qantas and Virgin Australia following the recall.

FAA lagging behind in US as always.

Wasn't the recall last week? Send your phones in for crying out loud.

This happened just a two or three days after the recall was announced.

He said in the FB comments of his post that he didn't know because they don't have TV (or well cable) and didn't see the news on the internet. Hell, if it wasn't for seeing the topic about the recall I wouldn't know about it either. Carriers should probably be sending alert messages.

Ambient80

Is there a reason so many people are doubting the guy? A recalled product that is known to catch fire is charging in a car that for seemingly no other reason caught fire. Is victim blaming part of PHONE WARZ?

commedieu

Banned
Is there a reason so many people are doubting the guy? A recalled product that is known to catch fire is charging in a car that for seemingly no other reason caught fire. Is victim blaming part of PHONE WARZ?

Everyone thinks insurance fraud =

1. hi my car caught on fire.
2. Bag of new money

With no investigation.

Even if it is fraud, he ain't going to get very far. But as I said earlier, Florida makes this all plausible.

People who are suspicious of this story are suspicious because it's just a weirdly phrased story. His car was running, told the kids to go get in the car, but he also was about to grab his phone from the car to bring inside for??? Why would he tell the kids to wait in the car if he needed to quick charge his phone from inside for a bit?

I'm not saying he did commit insurance fraud, but certainly it was a weird story.

If anything, there was probably some miscommunication when he was depicting the events. Pretty crazy though.

Being skeptical of someone's story is not the same thing as victim blaming. In victim blaming you're still confident that they were in fact a victim, but downplay it from there. A lot of these stories of escalating defective product consequences turn out to be false. I remember the "runaway" Toyota car on the highway story after the brake malfunctions turned out to be just a guy wanting a bit too much attention.

Being skeptical of someone's story is not the same thing as victim blaming. In victim blaming you're still confident that they were in fact a victim, but downplay it from there. A lot of these stories of escalating defective product consequences turn out to be false. I remember the "runaway" Toyota car on the highway story after the brake malfunctions turned out to be just a guy wanting a bit too much attention.

Right, but this many reports from all over the world, plus a massive recall, kinda lends credence to what this guy is saying.

I work for Verizon and normally I try to stay out of phonewarz BS. But, who the fuck told you this? Real talk, we have been doing a "no questions asked" return on that device for almost a week. he should have just taken the phone back and given you back your money and reset any contracts/device payments related to that device. If you need any help, please PM me and we can talk. That goes for anybody that is having a hard time returning this to a Verizon store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom