• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida plane crash survivor: 'God is good'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimi_dini

Susan Crockett stood in front of her one-story Palm Coast home, which now has a huge black hole where the four-seater plane went down Friday afternoon, killing all three people aboard.

"God is good. He really is," Crockett told reporters.

Yeah, your good god just let those other 3 people die. smh
Be happy that you survived.

numble

God is good?
"Thank God" is a distinction without a difference to me. It has the same meaning, despite its commonest.

Anyways, if you say, "Thank God I'm alive" or "Thank God you're alive (to a family member)" right after a tragedy in which others died, you still are ignoring what happened to others, which was the point I was addressing in my reply--he found it distasteful that the survivor "ignored others."

FACE

Banned
I might of missed something but I don't see anywhere in that article that mentions anything about her saying that this was all gods plan...

I know this is an asshole-ish thing to do, but it's "might have".

Some of the comments on that article are worse than anything the lady said. for example:

i1u1qhmTFY0At.png

Dead Man

"Thank God" is a distinction without a difference to me. It has the same meaning, despite its commonest.

Anyways, if you say, "Thank God I'm alive" or "Thank God you're alive (to a family member)" right after a tragedy in which others died, you still are ignoring what happened to others, which was the point I was addressing in my reply--he found it distasteful that the survivor "ignored others."

It's fine that you have no distinction, but do you see why other people might?

numble

It's fine that you have no distinction, but do you see why other people might?
I don't think there's enough to evaluate her opinion of the incident in its entirety from such a statement, especially to interpret it as a slight against the victims. She also says, "Praise God," which is common in some regions and not meant to be taken as a slight against the unfortunate.

I don't take all the Allah-infused phrases/words in Arabic to be a slight against non-Muslims either.

MIMIC

Banned
It's the whole Book of Job thing. Job underwent terrible, terrible tragedies, and lost his wife and children and his home and his body began to rot and his friends rebuked him but he still praised God. Ultimately, God was the only ray of hope Job had to get him through it.

Hmmmm....I didn't even think about this.

I want to see someone destroy a house, kill a bunch of people and blow up a plane, and get called good. I will call that guy God.

Hmmmm....I didn't even think about this.

The Story of Job is just a great example of how god has been characterized in such a way that nothing could ever disprove his existence.

Famine wipes out an area? God is good, and just testing us.

Crops are doing well this year? God is good, and rewards the faithful.

It basically makes arguing with followers pointless. They can point to literally any event ever as indicative of gods existence.

Some of the comments on that article are worse than anything the lady said. for example:

i1u1qhmTFY0At.png

I think this is the thing that ends up rustling jimmies the most.

I doubt the person who owned the house meant any disrespect towards the dead but frequently when things like this happen (someone of faith is lucky), others use it as a smug springboard into why they have to be right in regards to their deity. Or they try to force an answer or extra meaning into something that just simply happened the way it did. And forbid someone who isn't their faith gets lucky - god had a plan for them anyways.

Vesper73

/breath out.

By now we can all see how ridiculous it is to believe in something without evidence, (even if it might be true). Don't we? ... Sure we do! ...... Please!?

I was under the impression that people were not incensed over her thanking god, but were rather perturbed because she seemed to only take into account her own survival in declaring that "god is good", ignoring the other three individuals that died. "Well I survived, so god must be a pretty alright dude!"

It does seem somewhat... self-centered and insensitive, and not particularly Christian.

Had she said something like "I thank god that I am alive, and pray for those that did not survive", I can't imagine anybody would have any real issue with her words. Aside from the "lol religion" types.

Vesper73

Had she said something like "I thank god that I am alive, and pray for those that did not survive", I can't imagine anybody would have any real issue with her words. Aside from the "lol religion" types.

I'm kind of a "lol religion" type, but wouldn't have had a problem with that statement.

Fantasmo

You guys piling on are out of your gourd. If I threw a pink eraser at you some of you would probably get pissed.

PLANE
THROUGH
HOUSE

Common sense go BYEBYE!

I'm sure the lady isn't throwing a party because people died.

Fantasmo

These are ravings......

That's where I'm immune to troll logic.

See if a plane went through my house, and I ducked that shit like John McClane in Die Hard 2, Fantasmo will say "thank god the lucky stars and heavens I'm gonna do some jumping jacks and eat farts out of my dogs ass, thank jesus lord for havin mercy on me."

And none of it will mean a crock of doo except for the fact that I'm happy I'm alive.

I'll be on the evening news and I'm sure nobody will approach me later to say "Man you were really insensitive about the deceased". And if they did, I'd tell them what I just said earlier.

PLANE WENT THROUGH HOUSE.

Then I'd streak and run through the center of town naked.

Dead Man

I was under the impression that people were not incensed over her thanking god, but were rather perturbed because she seemed to only take into account her own survival in declaring that "god is good", ignoring the other three individuals that died. "Well I survived, so god must be a pretty alright dude!"

It does seem somewhat... self-centered and insensitive, and not particularly Christian.

Shhhh... don't get in the way of everyones outrage :) But yes, that is exactly how I feel.

Say somebody standing next to you was hit and killed by a rock falling out of the sky. Would you say 'God is good'? I would hope I would not.

That's where I'm immune to troll logic.

See if a plane went through my house, and I ducked that shit like John McClane in Die Hard 2, Fantasmo will say "thank god the lucky stars and heavens I'm gonna do some jumping jacks and eat farts out of my dogs ass, thank jesus lord for havin mercy on me."

And none of it will mean a crock of doo except for the fact that I'm happy I'm alive.

I'll be on the evening news and I'm sure nobody will approach me later to say "Man you were really insensitive about the deceased". And if they did, I'd tell them what I just said earlier.

PLANE WENT THROUGH HOUSE.

Then I'd streak and run through the center of town naked.

Noticeably you did not include that God was good... :)

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Incredible that there are still folks debating in this thread.

This woman had a plane crash into her house. Her family, who usually would be in the house at the time that the plane crashed, for various reasons, were gone. She could have died, but because she was in a certain place in her home at the right time, she lived.

She's thankful to be alive, and in an extreme moment, declared that god is good. She's not thinking about the folks who died, she's thinking about the family members who were spared.

Now when this gets back to her, of course she'll have remorse about the people who were in the plane. She wasn't being callous y'all. She's having a life-changing moment, and saying something during it that you might not agree with.

So are we going to continue to jump on her because she didn't carefully choose her words to be more politically correct after the sky fell on her house?

kevm3

Yeah, I'm sure she was analyzing every possible ramification of her words after she almost died. The anti-religion attitude on here is extremely annoying.

Elixist

this thread is entertaining. my 2 cents, if shes a decent person im sure she feels bad for the

deceased and that just dint make it into the interview.

Ultima_5

Detestably transparent? To want to discuss an article and a woman comments about religion? Detestable, or just destable in its tranparency?

It's not a women's comments on religion. It's a women who's happy to be alive and says something during an interview. She's not a professional. She doesn't go on speaking tours promoting an agenda. She's a lady who lives in a house that was destroyed.

This is just another thy serves as another GAF religion bash ala r/atheism.

saucyrobot

Neo Member
This. The OP's motive is so detestably transparent.

Agreed. This thread is a garbage can.

We'll all go ahead and assume that this woman has absolutely no thought for the people that died in the plane since it wasn't mentioned in the article, right? If she hadn't mentioned God at all and just been a thankful survivor, this thread would never have been made.

It's been said already, but. Seriously. Get a fucking life.

jaxword

Goddamn. Some of you guys sure go out of your way to get worked up

Get a life

Man, you know as well as well as any regular poster that ANY religion thread gets people from both sides looking for any excuse to launch their pre-prepared attacks.

shira

i1u1qhmTFY0At.png

What if she knew she was a bad person or did a bad thing. That would mess with my head so much if God spared me.

Dead Man

I was hoping to get some broader discussion on the concept of 'God is good' as something that was acceptable to say after a tragedy. Then a bunch of people got defensive.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I was hoping to get some broader discussion on the concept of 'God is good' as something that was acceptable to say after a tragedy. Then a bunch of people got defensive.

Well, a lot of people jump on the women instead though instead of having... ah, 'broader discussion'? It is pretty obvious that a lot just use this opportunity to launch their "religion LOL" tirades instead of having this... broader discussion. And to be frank, I think your "Apparently God was only looking after homeowners that day, not passengers. :/" comment on the OP contributed to that as well.

And what do you mean by people got defensive? Are you calling the ones saying that we probably shouldn't jump all over her just because she had survived an extreme circumstances that might have killed her and her entire family to boot defensive?

Dead Man

Well, a lot of people jump on the women instead though instead of having... ah, 'broader discussion'? It is pretty obvious that a lot just use this opportunity to launch their "religion LOL" tirades instead of having this... broader discussion. And to be frank, I think your "Apparently God was only looking after homeowners that day, not passengers. :/" comment on the OP contributed to that as well.

And what do you mean by people got defensive? Are you calling the ones saying that we probably shouldn't jump all over her just because she had survived an extreme circumstances that might have killed her and her entire family to boot defensive?

No, the ones crying about religion bashing, and anti religious sentiment being so pervasive, and generally being upset that people may not like religion.

Edit: You are right, my initial comment was very disparaging, of the comment that god is good, and that only. For what feels like the three hundredth time, nobody in this this thread has said she should not be thankful. The negative comments have come from the phrase god is good and her use of it that ignored the deaths of three people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom