• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fluidity / Hydroventure |OT| It's Like Metroid But With Water

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
FH-Banner.gif

FH-Intro.png

Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Curve Studios

Release date for USA: December 6, 2010
Release date for AUS: December 24, 2010
Release date for EUR: December 24, 2010
Release date for Japan: TBA

Platforms:
WiiWare.png

Price:
1200 Nintendo Points

FLUIDITY (titled HYDROVENTURE in Europe and Australia) is an open world action/adventure platforming game where the player takes control of a simple pool of water. The game takes place in the pages of a book called the Aquaticus filled with dozens of beautiful hand-illustrated landscapes arranged into cells similar to the layout of a comic book. Using the Wii Remote the player can tilt the world and direct the water to flow left or right. Flicking the Wii Remote upwards causes the water to fling upwards and can be used to jump gaps or reach higher ground. If some of the water gets seperated from the main pool for too long it will evaporate. Collecting water bubbles will replenish water volume and fill up the reserve tanks. Collecting Rainbow Drops will open new passages for the water to flow and finding power-ups such as Ice Block or Steam Cloud will give the player the abilities they need to reach previously inaccessible areas. There are obstacles like simple machines and contraptions that may help or hinder the player along their journey and enemies in the form of evil ink blots that must be thwarted in order to save the Aquaticus.

FH-Story.png

A magical illustrated encyclopedia, Aquaticus, has been tainted by a vial of evil ink called the Influence. You, as a pool of water that can take on other forms of ice and steam, must overcome obstacles scattered across the pages of Aquaticus and save it from the corruptive Influence. Tilt or twist your Wii Remote controller to use the various forms and properties of water on your free-flowing journey through Aquaticus, where every page has multiple panels and illustrations that have come to life. Tackle problems and defeat enemies to reveal magical Rainbow Drops, each of which restores some of Aquaticus’ power and allows it to open more chapters and grant you new powers. These additional powers, such as sticking to objects as a block of ice or shooting bolts of lightning as a steam cloud, will be needed to win the day and destroy the Influence and its minions. Along the way, you can also test your ingenuity and reflexes by finding hidden puzzle pieces. These unlock playrooms that give you the opportunity to use the skills you’ve learned and dare you to race against the clock to beat as many challenges as possible. These challenges won’t affect your quest to restore Aquaticus’ powers, but everyone needs a break now and again, right? Fluidity offers the chance to slosh and slide your way through an imaginative environment, filled with challenging adventures, using intuitive play control. Are you ready to dive into this unique experience and save the day?

FH-Trailers.png

PAX 2010 - Reveal Trailer

Fluidity: How To Play Trailer

Fluidity: Water Form Trailer

Fluidity: Ice Block Trailer

Fluidity: Steam Cloud trailer

US Launch Trailer

FH-Screenshots.png

i25208.jpg

i25206.jpg

i25207.jpg

i25209.jpg

i25216.jpg

FH-Reviews.png

Nintendo World Report - 9.5
Fluidity is a wonderful game. With its clever, Metroid-like level design and novel premise, it is one of the top WiiWare games in recent memory.

NGamer UK - 9.2
A cracking idea done almost flawlessly. Tied with World Of Goo as WiiWare's best.

NintendoLife - 9.0
Fluidity is easily one of the more original games on WiiWare and comes with hours of replay value, a slick physics engine and spot on controls. The huge 2D maps are full of secret areas and unlockable extras, and the pacing of the game keeps the action from ever becoming too repetitive or dull. What starts off as a simple tilting affair soon evolves into some of the most refined gameplay mechanics ever slapped onto the Wii Remote.

Destructiod - 9.0
All in all, your play time will run you between ten to fifteen hours at the least. This is a massive game with lots to do and see, so I'm thankful that the premium price tag is representative of actual content.

IGN - 8.5
Fluidity puts both the Wii's controller and graphical capabilities to good use, making for an invigorating puzzle game that's easy on the eyes. The production values and depth on display here are greater than most WiiWare games, so don't hesitate to dive on in.

GameSpot - 8.5
The vast collection of hidden content means that there are hours upon hours of well-crafted puzzles in Hydroventure, while the mixture of fun ideas means the core concept of moving a blob of water around never gets old. The way each chapter is laid out into separate pages and panes not only allows for some diverse and great-looking visuals, but it also means casual players can easily dip in and out for short bursts while more determined players can spend longer amounts of time hunting down extra content. The final level might be a bit too much for some to stick with, but that shouldn't deter you from playing this excellent puzzle game, one that any Wii owner shouldn't hesitate to splash out on.

Edge - 8
While Hydroventure shares many of the long-standing criticisms of the Metroid series, it also shares most of it's strengths. The world is similarly intricately designed, granting a sense of satisfaction and progress and you slowly tame it by mastering your many powers.

pvpness

banKai said:
Looks moist.
Fixed that for ya.

I dig it. Fun little game. Not the biggest fan of ice block form but managed to get all the way through and enjoy myself while playing it. It can get pretty frustrating if you let it.

I didn't think it was anything like Metroid though.

Guevara said:
Good job, the title got me in here. How is this like Metroid?
In the most loose sense ever. There are platforms both vertical and horizontal and... you hit switches to open doors? I dunno. There wasn't a single time while playing through that I thought it was like Metroid in any way at all.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Guevara said:
Good job, the title got me in here. How is this like Metroid?
It's a 2D open world game like Metroid. There are areas you can't reach until you find certain power-ups. There are also hidden pathways and some of the collectibles are also hidden away pretty well. Lots of exploration involved.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Boney said:
Isn't it already out though? :lol

Didn't know it was getting such good reviews, might have to check it out.
Comes out in Europe as Hydroventure tomorrow. Actually it should be available for download in just a few hours from now.

Incredible game, shame so few people know about it since they refuse to acknowledge that Wiiware is a great service filled with some of the best downloadable games around.

Boney

Banned
VideoMan said:
Comes out in Europe as Hydroventure tomorrow. Actually it should be available for download in just a few hours from now.
Yeah, saw that, but he's not pal land.

Anyway, looks pretty sweet.

nincompoop said:
Incredible game, shame so few people know about it since they refuse to acknowledge that Wiiware is a great service filled with some of the best downloadable games around.

Can you blame them? Nintendo seems not to acknowledge it, either.

Ledsen

Holy shit I want this! ...but under no circumstances will I buy any downloadable game on my Wii, knowing that it's tied to the console and not to a user account like on XBLA/PSN :(

loosus

Banned
It's pretty fun. I know this sounds weird, but do you guys remember having "for kids" encyclopedias growing up? The art style really reminds me of the artwork I had in an encyclopedia growing up: relatively simple, somewhat colorful, but not too sugary. I doubt they were shooting for this, but it's unique at any rate, and because I had that encyclopedia growing up, it's somewhat nostalgic for me.

I will say this, though: sometimes, I don't feel like I'm trying to get anywhere. I just kinda make the water aimlessly go from one place to another. That's okay sometimes, but sometimes, it makes the experience a little annoying.

fernoca

Great OP and I like the game; but Metroid isn't the first thing that comes to my mind while playing it. :p

Great game anyway and quite fresh too. ;p

Saw this pop up on the European Nintendo site a few weeks ago as coming soon. Thought it looked interesting. Pleasantly surprised it's a good game.
I'd buy it if I knew how to only update the shop channel without a system update as I don't want to lose my homebrew channel.

Boney

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Yeah i wish i knew about the inferior virtual console versions back then
Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that :lol

At least you can play that Trace Memory sequel thingy aaaaaand um yeah.

NewFresh

Just started playing this last night and man is it good.

With the rare occasion of the controller just not tilting how I want it to;This game works flawlessly.

loosus

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
Metroid? Well, you have my attention now. I'll have to try the demo at least.
I have no idea why he even mentioned Metroid. It's nothing like Metroid at all. Hell, you could convince me that it's more like Tetris than Metroid.

loosus said:
I have no idea why he even mentioned Metroid. It's nothing like Metroid at all. Hell, you could convince me that it's more like Tetris than Metroid.
Similarities to Metroid:
- Open, explorable, interconnected levels
- Find powerups/abilities to reach previously inaccessible areas and collect previously unobtainable items in earlier areas
- Complete self-contained puzzles and platforming challenges using powerups/abilities to obtain new items and make progress
- Some marginal similarities in enemy design (crawling flammable enemies, flying enemies that shoot crap at you, etc.)
Similarities to Tetris:
uhhh...
Conclusion: WTF are you talking about?!?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
loosus said:
PS: I repeat, it's nothing like Metroid at all.

AT ALL.
Oh stop it.

I immediately saw the similarities to Metroid the first time I played it and two TWO totally separate reviewers that I quoted in the OP also made that observation. The way the game progresses is what is commonly called a 'Metroidvania' style game. Look it up.

Yagharek

Played the demo, cleaned out the fridge and bought the full thing just then.

Game is quite good, obviously inspired by titles like Mercury and Dewy's Adventure as well as other marble rolling stuff (albeit loosely). Game structure absolutely resembles a Super Metroid/Castlevania game where you unlock new abilities as you go, thereby changing your ability to or pattern for going back to earlier areas in attempting 100% completion.

Physics of the water are really good. It behaves convincingly for a 2D-plane limited liquid (abilities aside like changing surface tension value at will). It's also a lot like Loco Roco too.

Art style is beautiful and simplistic. Definitely deserves a fron-page channel on my wii alongside world of goo, swords & soldiers and cave story.

I have had the game since Monday. It's not really that much like Metroid other than having you require some new abilities to reach places that you currently can't get to.

It's more like a 2D Mario 64 in terms of game structure, with amazing water physics (and yes, it's awesome :D)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
nincompoop said:
Agreed on the latter, disagree on the former. Its got some fantastic games this gen, yes, but the service itself...

Okay, I am really interested in this game now. I've got a friend who usually gives me points cards for Christmas, I should be able to buy it in a few days,

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Just started playing this. One of the most inventive, smart and satisfying games on any download service. So impressed!

I bet it sells at least 6 copies!!

McBacon said:
Just started playing this. One of the most inventive, smart and satisfying games on any download service. So impressed!

Ill be picking up later tonight, so make that 7. Probably above expectations :D

Nessus

Father_Brain said:
Can you blame them? Nintendo seems not to acknowledge it, either.

See, my thing with that is, if you own a Wii and you have Wi-Fi, you should just check it out regardless of whether or not Nintendo promotes it.

It's not like I see a ton of XBLA commercials, but I am still aware of those games largely due to posts on this forum, just like how this thread is making people aware of Fluidity.

I know the way Nintendo's looking at it is mass market or bust and has pretty much written off Wii Ware this gen, but that doesn't mean hardcore gamers (which pretty much means everyone on this forum) should ignore the genuinely great games available on the service.

There's even a regularly updated thread every month about Wii Ware and Virtual Console releases, so there's little excuse. And anyone in those threads will be happy to recommend the best games that are out (Hint: Bit.Trip Runner).

Any more detailed impressions from people who've picked this up? Curious to hear more details about it: how long the whole game is, how challenging it is, the amount of variety in the game, etc.

It's a pretty huge game. It consists of 4 chapters, each of which is broken up into 3 pages plus a large dungeon-type area which needs to be completed to unlock the next chapter. Each page consists of approximately 6 to 9 panels, and the panels themselves are fairly large and usually consist of a puzzle which needs to be solved to collect a raindrop. Collecting a certain number of raindrops causes more doors within the pages to open up and eventually unlocks the main dungeon area of each chapter. The amount of variety in the puzzles is staggering; while they all boil down to switching between your 3 forms of water and using the unique properties and abilities of each form to solve them, the things in the environment that you have to interact with using these abilities are extremely creative and are often unique to a single puzzle and aren't seen anywhere else in the game, and even when they are repeated (such as guiding fish into fishbowls or moving cogs attatched to ballons to their associated gears to open doors), the way you go about solving them is still completely different and keeps them feeling fresh. The puzzles can get pretty involved at times and some of them will have you scratching your head for a while, but the solutions are always very natural, so when you finally come up with them you'll think to yourself "duh, why didn't I think of that before?" instead of thinking that they were unfair in any way. I'm trying to think of any downsides to the game but there really aren't any, maybe they could have used a few more types of enemies or something to make the combat a bit more varied, but for the type of game they were aiming for it's pretty much perfect in every way.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
downloaded the demo, have purchased Bit trip fate, cave story lighttrax,zombie panic in wonderland, loved all of them,currently playing cave story but from what people say I may have to get this , possibly this side of xmas or maybe next payday, damn wiiware has some choice games...i dont think i am ever going to sell my wii because of all the downloaded games i have in it.

Maxrunner

Ledsen said:
Holy shit I want this! ...but under no circumstances will I buy any downloadable game on my Wii, knowing that it's tied to the console and not to a user account like on XBLA/PSN :(

Theyll let it switch from your wii to wii 2 dont worry...

Merovin

nincompoop said:
It's a pretty huge game. It consists of 4 chapters, each of which is broken up into 3 pages plus a large dungeon-type area which needs to be completed to unlock the next chapter. Each page consists of approximately 6 to 9 panels, and the panels themselves are fairly large and usually consist of a puzzle which needs to be solved to collect a raindrop. Collecting a certain number of raindrops causes more doors within the pages to open up and eventually unlocks the main dungeon area of each chapter. The amount of variety in the puzzles is staggering; while they all boil down to switching between your 3 forms of water and using the unique properties and abilities of each form to solve them, the things in the environment that you have to interact with using these abilities are extremely creative and are often unique to a single puzzle and aren't seen anywhere else in the game, and even when they are repeated (such as guiding fish into fishbowls or moving cogs attatched to ballons to their associated gears to open doors), the way you go about solving them is still completely different and keeps them feeling fresh. The puzzles can get pretty involved at times and some of them will have you scratching your head for a while, but the solutions are always very natural, so when you finally come up with them you'll think to yourself "duh, why didn't I think of that before?" instead of thinking that they were unfair in any way. I'm trying to think of any downsides to the game but there really aren't any, maybe they could have used a few more types of enemies or something to make the combat a bit more varied, but for the type of game they were aiming for it's pretty much perfect in every way.

Just the kind of impression I was looking for, been playing the demo and have been pretty impressed. I think I am now sold and will be buying this in the next week or so.

fabprems

Just finished the first chapter, excellent game so far !

But I would agree that there's no much Metroid in this game, for me it's more like loco roco + soul bubbles + a strange feeling of mario 64 :D

Amir0x

Banned
typically i avoid getting WiiWare games (Bit.Trip/Art series notwithstanding), usually they're pretty bad but the Metroid comparison... might be the first WiiWare game I pick up in ages.

Need impressions from some GAFers other than nincompoop and Nuclear Muffin though. Nothing personal but i like my impressions blessedly "the people's army"-free.

Haunted

McBacon said:

Well, now I have to check it out.

Top Bottom