• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fluidity / Hydroventure |OT| It's Like Metroid But With Water

Amir0x said:
typically i avoid getting WiiWare games (Bit.Trip/Art series notwithstanding), usually they're pretty bad but the Metroid comparison... might be the first WiiWare game I pick up in ages.

Need impressions from some GAFers other than nincompoop and Nuclear Muffin though. Nothing personal but i like my impressions blessedly "the people's army"-free.

whaaaat...B-but ign gave it 8.5 Ami..........EIGHT POINT FIVE!!!

:D

Agent X

Amir0x said:
typically i avoid getting WiiWare games (Bit.Trip/Art series notwithstanding), usually they're pretty bad but the Metroid comparison... might be the first WiiWare game I pick up in ages.

Need impressions from some GAFers other than nincompoop and Nuclear Muffin though. Nothing personal but i like my impressions blessedly "the people's army"-free.

There's a demo on WiiWare, which I would encourage you to try (especially since Wii demos are a relative rarity). I tried it myself and thought was quite good. It's been a while since I bought a WiiWare game also, but this one's really tempting.

The game is rather reminiscent of LocoRoco, with a bit of Mercury added to the formula. The LocoRoco influence can be seen with the ability to tilt the level to guide the water, along with getting the water to "jump" to higher ground, and holding a button to try to get the water to accumulate together (much like getting small LocoRocos to merge into a larger LocoRoco).

The game isn't just sloshing water around a level. Dangers that I've encountered in the demo include flaming enemies that you can defeat by dousing them when their flames subside, and hot sands that evaporate your water on contact. There are also some puzzle elements, like using the water to carry an item from one location to another so that you can open up another area of the level.

Amir0x said:

Why not try the demo for yourself? You're just going to write off the opinions of anybody who doesn't hate Nintendo, and nobody who hates Nintendo is ever going to play this game.

I honestly doubt you'll like it though, since it uses tilt controls. (Even though they work really well.)

Haunted

I do hope it's better than Puddle, which, while cute, came out as little more than a tech demo/teaser.

It's the same premise, basically.

delume

Up to about 11 Rainbow Drops. Great visual design and clever puzzles so far. Does anyone know how many Rainbow Drops there are in each chapter?

delume said:
Up to about 11 Rainbow Drops. Great visual design and clever puzzles so far. Does anyone know how many Rainbow Drops there are in each chapter?
It tells you on the chapter select screen after you finish the game. There are 89 total, and the breakdown by chapter was something like 22/23/25/19, but I'm going from memory so I could be wrong.

delume

nincompoop said:
It tells you on the chapter select screen after you finish the game. There are 89 total, and the breakdown by chapter was something like 22/23/25/19, but I'm going from memory so I could be wrong.

Thanks!

I played the demo, expected a cool concept that was fun.

Instead I got a game bordering on genius.

It's a must have as far as I am concerned, I just don't have too many points left and might wait to see if that fricking Bomberman Battlefest ever comes out on WiiWare.

My brother might be visiting and I want a multiplayer game but I will probably crack and get this game sooner than later, it's that good and I am sure the actual game is way better than the demo.

fabprems

I'm in the middle of chapter 2, can't stop playing but my brain hurts :D
I just got the
"adhesive"
extension, open a lot of new possibilities...

I think this is the first game that got the good puzzle/physics ratio for me, I love it !

AniHawk

nincompoop said:
Incredible game, shame so few people know about it since they refuse to acknowledge that Wiiware is a great service filled with some of the best downloadable games around.

Fine, fine. I'll give the demo a look.

Tried the Demo, was very impressed. I might pick it up eventually, but my plate is rather full right now.

Also, I noticed the other day for the first time that WiiWare actually has quite a few really good games now. This, Cave Story, And Yet it Moves, and the Bit Trip series in particular.

Koren

nincompoop said:
Incredible game, shame so few people know about it since they refuse to acknowledge that Wiiware is a great service filled with some of the best downloadable games around.
I can't associate "great" and "service" as long as anything you buy is tied to hardware.

Give me transferable content, linked to my Nintendo account or anything like that, and I'll be happy to reconsider purchases like this on their shop, even if I really don't like digital content.

3DS announcement is a small step in the right direction.

fabprems

How come nobody on Gaf care about this game ?? That's a shame...

I'm at the third chapter now, 39 Rainbow drops, and everything is just awesome. I've played the chapter 2 minigame for almost an hour, so much fun :D (My best score is 919)

zigg

Koren said:
I can't associate "great" and "service" as long as anything you buy is tied to hardware.

My primary measure is "does it bring me games I like playing." Which it does. Not to say there isn't plenty of room for improvement, of course, but it seems like such a small thing to sweat over games that cost around the same as going out for lunch or a movie.

Everyone keep this thread bumped, I promise I'll get to Fluidity when my backlog permits :lol

Haunted

TheLastCandle said:
Tried the Demo, was very impressed. I might pick it up eventually, but my plate is rather full right now.

Also, I noticed the other day for the first time that WiiWare actually has quite a few really good games now. This, Cave Story, And Yet it Moves, and the Bit Trip series in particular.
Lost Winds and Cave Story are the standouts for me, but there are quite a few gems in there by now, yes.

Beat the first world and am going through the second, still with a bunch left in chapter one.

Ice form is awesome.

--

And seriously some of you are not trying to even get the demo to play with? What the hell is the point of having the demos out if you don't try them out?

pitt_norton

TheUnknownForce said:
... And seriously some of you are not trying to even get the demo to play with? What the hell is the point of having the demos out if you don't try them out?

Yeah... It strikes me as strange that people on a gaming forum don't even attempt to play a cool game...

Ellis Kim

Banned
I tried the demo, and while mildly interesting, and without any demo levels where you play as the ice cube or cloud, it felt more like Loco Roco but with liquid than it did anything else. The whole science textbook diagram layout is clever and interesting, but I can really see this as being only entertaining in the same edutainment kind of way as the new Raving Rabbids history game is.

I also watched the Developer's Voice video that was on the Nintendo Channel, and it sounds like the motion control was one of the major reasons they approached Nintendo for it, which sounds a little limiting to me. While Nintendo definitely influenced the game's final design (at least according to the video), I don't see why this couldn't have been on PSN as well. On that note, I also don't understand why there is no Loco Roco/Patapon HD PSN release, but that's neither here nor there.

Its interesting, but the demo's similarity to Loco Roco just kind of turns me off from it. Maybe if they sampled one a part of the game with the ice element I would be more interested.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Downloaded the demo, and have now bought the game.

Great level design, great physics, smooth graphics and responsive controls. A Wiiware gem for sure! Anybody interested in these sort of games should pick it up without hesitation.

Amir0x

Banned
nincompoop said:
Why not try the demo for yourself? You're just going to write off the opinions of anybody who doesn't hate Nintendo, and nobody who hates Nintendo is ever going to play this game.

I honestly doubt you'll like it though, since it uses tilt controls. (Even though they work really well.)

Tilt games and pointer games are practically the best reason to own Wii. My favorite games on Wii include Mercury Meltdown Revolution... tilting with wiimote is not bad if the concept for it makes sense. This is one of those.

Anyway, I will download the demo. But usually demos just don't really give a good feel of games, especially a Metroidvania type game where so much fun doesn't happen until you unlock various abilities and really open it up.

The controls work when they want to especially the jumping. Getting around as a block of ice hopping wasn't fun anymore as much as frustrating.

Even though the maps are really detailed and have arrows on where to go, it's a chore to go back try to find your way to the NEW AREA to unlock more stuff and progress.

I'm not fond of this "working to find you way" style of play or design of the game. The design of the levels are great, however GETTING TO them are NOT FUN.

Stream lining the game would have worked in it's favor, I don't know how many times I had to go back through an area dozens of times just to end of at a dead and restart all the way at the beginning.

There are check points and warps, but not enough of them to make them useful, they'll take you about half way and leave the rest for you to do again.

The controls seemed forced on the flicking the Wii Remote. I don't know why developers opt to choose the motion instead of favoring the buttons which is and yes or not input, not of this in between bullshit of whether I flicked it hard enough.

Pretending like your splashing water is cute for awhile until it starts pissing you the fuck off after trying to get to a state change station for the sixth time, if then I just turn the game off and go back to Super Meat Boy with fantastic ass controls.

It's a shame really, even IF the dev's would have made the controls better it still wouldn't sell because I think it's a really gorgeous looking game and from a creative design stand point is genius.

Too bad really.

fabprems

Instrumedley said:
The controls work when they want to especially the jumping. Getting around as a block of ice hopping wasn't fun anymore as much as frustrating.

Even though the maps are really detailed and have arrows on where to go, it's a chore to go back try to find your way to the NEW AREA to unlock more stuff and progress.

I'm not fond of this "working to find you way" style of play or design of the game. The design of the levels are great, however GETTING TO them are NOT FUN.

Stream lining the game would have worked in it's favor, I don't know how many times I had to go back through an area dozens of times just to end of at a dead and restart all the way at the beginning.

There are check points and warps, but not enough of them to make them useful, they'll take you about half way and leave the rest for you to do again.

The controls seemed forced on the flicking the Wii Remote. I don't know why developers opt to choose the motion instead of favoring the buttons which is and yes or not input, not of this in between bullshit of whether I flicked it hard enough.

Pretending like your splashing water is cute for awhile until it starts pissing you the fuck off after trying to get to a state change station for the sixth time, if then I just turn the game off and go back to Super Meat Boy with fantastic ass controls.

It's a shame really, even IF the dev's would have made the controls better it still wouldn't sell because I think it's a really gorgeous looking game and from a creative design stand point is genius.

Too bad really.
I disagree on every point you made and I never had a problem with the controls...

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Amir0x said:
Anyway, I will download the demo. But usually demos just don't really give a good feel of games, especially a Metroidvania type game where so much fun doesn't happen until you unlock various abilities and really open it up.

Any opinions? game is more mario 64 than metroid though..

xir said:
Any opinions? game is more mario 64 than metroid though..
It's really not though, the only thing it has in common with Mario 64 is that certain passages open up after you collect an arbitrary number of stars/rainbow drops. But in Fluidity you still have to use the abilities you acquire to access the newly opened passages.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
nincompoop said:
It's really not though, the only thing it has in common with Mario 64 is that certain passages open up after you collect an arbitrary number of stars/rainbow drops. But in Fluidity you still have to use the abilities you acquire to access the newly opened passages.

the smaller drops remind me of red coins, and mario's "hats" was mildly metroidvania-ish, and this game is level based not giant explore a castle/planet based. great game though.

Mario 64's hat powerups were only used for like maybe 10 stars in the entire game. The abilities you learn in Fluidity are needed for almost every rainbow drop. It's not really a good comparison.

fabprems

nincompoop said:
Mario 64's hat powerups were only used for like maybe 10 stars in the entire game. The abilities you learn in Fluidity are needed for almost every rainbow drop. It's not really a good comparison.
The fact that you had to make X times a world to get X rainbow drops (like X stars) made me think of Mario 64 too...

Anyway, just finished world 3, here I come final chapter :D
(and my new record for chapter 2 minigame is 2198 !)

fabprems

Wow, chapter 4 is kind of hard, I'm having hard time solving some puzzles ...

Meanwhile, I found all the rainbow drops in chapter 1&2, and I miss one in chapter 3 (I can't find the last colour drop in the beginning of this level !!! ARrrrghhh)

I love this game :D

Really liking this, but absolutely hate the jump. I know I'm echoing what others have said, but seriously, how does that pass testing? There are unused buttons - use them! Or at least make it an option. Flicking to jump is atrocious. I purchased the game, but now as slightly regretting it because of that simple, awful control choice.

Mael

Well I expected a downloadable game....
then I saw the Nintendo points so I said 'with my luck it's a DsWare game'
and THEN I saw that it was out here and a Wiiware?

Dear god what is happening? Is this a conspiration to make me unpack my Wii and finish NMH so I can play NMH2 someday or something?

fabprems

whatevermort said:
Really liking this, but absolutely hate the jump. I know I'm echoing what others have said, but seriously, how does that pass testing? There are unused buttons - use them! Or at least make it an option. Flicking to jump is atrocious. I purchased the game, but now as slightly regretting it because of that simple, awful control choice.

I can hear that, but that jumping thing is natural for me. I mean, I don't even think about it when I'm playing, but I must be in the minority there I guess...
After all, in the first presentation of the wiimote you hear a mario jumping while a woman was shaking a wiimote. Always thought that was kind of neat.

zigg

The Metroid comparison showed up in Nintendo Power's quick review of this game. Made me think of this thread. :lol

Platy

Barely unlocked the second stage .... but i can say that this game is awesome !
It makes me happy to see lots of "classic" elements mixed in something so ...fresh xD

too bad that it will probably get the same fate as other awesome wiiware games like bit trip (with the exception maybe of swords and soldiers and world of goo)... I kinda wish this game had the a wider release or just the proper advertising any awesome wiiware game deserves...

..and .. i didn't liked the "hydroventure" logo ... no rainbow drop and specialy no rubber duck ????

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Finally finished with 100% today. According to the Nintendo Channel records it took me about 15 hours to beat the game with collecting all the rainbow drops that are visible on the map (77), then another five hours to go back and get 100% flowers and puzzle pieces.

Game is just outstanding all the way through. The amount of variety and creativity keeps it fresh and interesting until the very end. Loved the unexpected things like (spoilers)
The pinball game, the firetruck, the coin pusher game, and helping the guy sneak into the factory
just to name a few.

I don't know what to say to the people who don't see the Metroid similarities. Wait, yes I do: You're wrong. :lol

fabprems

I'm at 70 rainbows drops right now, but only 50 puzzle pieces... They are kind of well hidden in the last 2 chapters, and sometimes, even if I know where the pieces are, I have no idea how to get to them :lol

Nessus

zigg said:
The Metroid comparison showed up in Nintendo Power's quick review of this game. Made me think of this thread. :lol

Metroid in terms of gaining new abilities which grant access to new areas.

Mario 64 in terms of selecting discreet levels and returning to levels multiple times to collect more "stars" that open up additional levels.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
stuminus3 said:
Tilting/rolling game mixed with a Metroidvania?

Sounds like my kind of game.

Yup, same here... definitely gonna have to pick up once I get some more Wii points.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Right folks, I am 40 Rainbow drops in and have to seriously say that this game is fantastic and superb value for money!

The level design and puzzles have been pretty much superb and the new abilities and upgrades you acquire as you prgress through the game are handled very well and you really have to explore the world Metroid style as you progress. Not always too easy and requires some thinking and adjustments of your different abilities in order to succeed in many cases.

Graphics are smooth and very stylish and there are plenty of hidden items and little bonus games that can be opened if you search the areas for hidden puzzle pieces. Controls can be mildly frustrating at certain moments but nothing I haven't been able to handle and some of the abilities make travelling the landscapes easier keeping the gameplay much more balanced than it would have been without them.

All in all a superbly designed game well worth it's asking price in Wii points. All Wii owners and fans of puzzle games looking for a superb Wiiware gem, here is the game you are looking for right here. Brilliant.

fabprems

BARKSTAR said:
Right folks, I am 40 Rainbow drops in and have to seriously say that this game is fantastic and superb value for money!

The level design and puzzles have been pretty much superb and the new abilities and upgrades you acquire as you prgress through the game are handled very well and you really have to explore the world Metroid style as you progress. Not always too easy and requires some thinking and adjustments of your different abilities in order to succeed in many cases.

Graphics are smooth and very stylish and there are plenty of hidden items and little bonus games that can be opened if you search the areas for hidden puzzle pieces. Controls can be mildly frustrating at certain moments but nothing I haven't been able to handle and some of the abilities make travelling the landscapes easier keeping the gameplay much more balanced than it would have been without them.

All in all a superbly designed game well worth it's asking price in Wii points. All Wii owners and fans of puzzle games looking for a superb Wiiware gem, here is the game you are looking for right here. Brilliant.

QFT
I finished the game yesterday (well, the 89 rainbow drops thing, but I missed 7 hidden puzzle pieces, no idea where they are....). The game is kinda hard at the end, and I almost went crazy for 2 rainbow drops :
  • The drop in chapter 3 where you have to collect all the little color drops in order to have to rainbow drop. There was one well hidden drop I couldn't find
    DAMN YOU MONKEY HEAD !!!
  • In chapter 4, the drops at the bottom of the left page were tough to access

Great great game.

fabprems

Gamespot just wrote a review for the game :
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/hydroventure/review.html

8.5/10
The vast collection of hidden content means that there are hours upon hours of well-crafted puzzles in Hydroventure, while the mixture of fun ideas means the core concept of moving a blob of water around never gets old. The way each chapter is laid out into separate pages and panes not only allows for some diverse and great-looking visuals, but it also means casual players can easily dip in and out for short bursts while more determined players can spend longer amounts of time hunting down extra content. The final level might be a bit too much for some to stick with, but that shouldn't deter you from playing this excellent puzzle game, one that any Wii owner shouldn't hesitate to splash out on.

Just finished with 89 drops and 58 jiggies. Great game.
But... doesn't this game have the decency to tell you in which area the missing puzzle pieces are? No way I'm going to find them otherwise.

Top Bottom