• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

When I came back from work yesterday I was surprised to see my mom watching football by her self. Especially since our boys are at home already :p

Also, one of our players who did very well this tournament (NOT) tweeted this the first day they got back.

EA9Fj.jpg

His wife and kid at the stairs of the private jet that is going to take them to Ibiza for his well deserved holiday. Sigh.

elty

Kind of off topic but is there any good place to buy real football kit (country and club does not really matter, just no League one side or country like somethingstan) online? It just have to be comfortable to wear. Don't want to pay more than $20 each.

Ship to Canada.

Arnie

Whats the better version of Alien?

The theatrical cut or the directors cut from 2003.

God I hate Ridley Scott.

Every one of his films has a deluge of different cuts that not only dilutes the importance of the theatrical cut but rakes in money. There was 20 minutes cut out of Prometheus that he'll no doubt introduce in a Directors Cut before christmas. At least in Prometheus it won't answer any of the questions though, it'll probably just invent a whole raft of convoluted questions.

Hixx

theatrical

God I hate Ridley Scott.

Every one of his films has a deluge of different cuts that not only dilutes the importance of the theatrical cut but rakes in money. There was 20 minutes cut out of Prometheus that he'll no doubt introduce in a Directors Cut before christmas. At least in Prometheus it won't answer any of the questions though, it'll probably just invent a whole raft of convoluted questions.

I don't think Scott wanted to cut the stuff from Prometheus. The studio just thought that no-one would be ok with a 2 and a half hour 'summer blockbuster', I think.

Clegg

God I hate Ridley Scott.

I agree with what you're saying here. But in fairness to Scott, he has made a few good directors cuts. The Kingdom of Heaven and Blade Runner DCs were excellent imo.

theatrical

Cheers.

Arnie

I don't think Scott wanted to cut the stuff from Prometheus. The studio just thought that no-one would be ok with a 2 and a half hour 'summer blockbuster', I think.
Yes, two and a half hour summer blockbusters set in established universes just won't work.

Dark Knight Rises.

The Avengers.
One of my favourite films of all time.
I agree with what you're saying here. But in fairness to Scott, he has made a few good directors cuts. The Kingdom of Heaven and Blade Runner DCs were excellent imo.

The Kingdom of Heaven one was necessary because in that instance the studio did intervene and fuck up the theatrical cut. I think the Blade Runner ones were good, but they completely changed certain aspects of the film central to how we perceive the characters and their motivations, which makes me frown on Scott's artistic vision. I think he's happy to just switch things about for a bit of cash.

He's also a man who's very publicly open to the fact that he likes to mix art and business.

Linius

Blade Runner has too many cuts :p

But yeah, the final cut is best.

Also watched the Redux version of Apocalypse Now a few weeks back, too damn long.

Hixx

Still haven't seen Prometheus due to lack of 2D screening within 50 miles of me. :( May wait for the dvd.

The 3D is subtle and isn't distracting at all. Which is how 3D should be imo, not like that fucking new Spider-Man film. Spent most of the trailer blinking because of shit coming flying out of the screen.

GQman2121

Banned
Hey, you're going too? Nice, I'm going to be there. Where are you sitting? Think Torres will play after the Euros? I'm super excited, we're going to be seeing some great players regardless.

I'm in section 230. So near the left field foul pole. Not too bad. Ticket was cheaper than a decent seat for a Yankees game, so I'm happy.

Torres may or may not be there. I know Mata is probably out because he's been granted permission to play in the Olympics. Not sure about Torres.

Have you seen Chelsea play live yet? I'm seeing Villa in Chicago next month and I'm beyond excited. I also ordered this year's shirt for myself and my girlfriend, so I share your financial pain.

Yes, I have. They came to Baltimore to play Milan three summers ago at M&T Stadium.

Oxx

I saw Prometheus earlier today and I really enjoyed it.

How long should I wait in my bubble of contentment before looking-up how everyone else thought it was meh?

Arnie

Going to watch Scarface for the first time in a bit, excited.

No need to get sarcy.
It's true though. I think the idea that the studio intervened and told Scott to cut 20 minutes is a bit of a fallacy, especially given his past and the current running length of successful blockbusters this summer.

Yen

The 3D is subtle and isn't distracting at all. Which is how 3D should be imo, not like that fucking new Spider-Man film. Spent most of the trailer blinking because of shit coming flying out of the screen.

You should see it in 3D. Best use of it that I've seen to be honest. Unobtrusive, subtle and drew me in to the film more.

My right eye doesn't work!!

You're in Omagh, right?

http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=BRUNSWICKCB

Our newest cinema is lovely.

35 miles then. Not ideal. Even though I'm hyped for it, not sure I'm eager enough to bus it up. Heard good things about that multiplex.

Wilbur

Banned
Tell her to register on GAF. We'll treat her nicely (and keep Wilbury far away from her)

If she's old enough to marry, I'm not interested.

Kind of off topic but is there any good place to buy real football kit (country and club does not really matter, just no League one side or country like somethingstan) online? It just have to be comfortable to wear. Don't want to pay more than $20 each.

Ship to Canada.

I don't know if they ship to Canada but they do to the USA, and they aren't real, but for £17 (what does that convert into?), Soccer Triads quality is fantastic. Honestly there's a bunch of us really happy with them.

Theatrical. God I fucking love Alien.

Going to watch Scarface for the first time in a bit, excited.

It's true though. I think the idea that the studio intervened and told Scott to cut 20 minutes is a bit of a fallacy, especially given his past and the current running length of successful blockbusters this summer.

Don't really like Scarface apart from Pacino. Overlong and melodramatic.

HAVE WE SIGNED MESSI YET

Yen

Lucky man. Now thats a good movie.

I've never seen it, in part due to the fact it was showcased in every episode of Cribs. haha

I watched Source Code (pretty great sci-fi movie from Zowie Bowie) and Tinker, Tailor (didn't enjoy it, bored me to tears, Oldman was good, though) today.

Wilbur

Banned
I've never seen it, in part due to the fact it was showcased in every episode of Cribs. haha

I watched Source Code (pretty great sci-fi movie from Zowie Bowie) and Tinker, Tailor (didn't enjoy it, bored me to tears, Oldman was good, though) today.

Really like Source Code, loved Tinker Tailor. Can see why people don't though.

Linius

Source Code was pretty awesome indeed. And definitely more orginial than Jones' first (Moon). Liked Tinker etc. as well btw.

Arnie

Source Code was a pleasant surprise. Tinker, Tailor was an amazing film; one of the very few to live up to the trailers and the hype. Then we had a Nandos after. Was a fucking good evening.

dc89

Love how my wife has been getting more and more into football lately. She actually watches the games with me and asks questions all the time. It's cute to watch her get all into it...

My GF professes to hate football. But she does kinda like bits of I think.

She watched Chelsea and Bayern and was really into the penalties.
She watched England V Ukraine and was asking why the Ukraine goal didn't count, even though it crossed the line.

I was like, "well the referee doesn't have the benefit of camera angles."

"Why not, they should. So why can't they give the goal after the game"

"Well they can't."

"But why not"

How am I meant to answer that!

Wilbur

Banned
Source Code was a pleasant surprise. Tinker, Tailor was an amazing film; one of the very few to live up to the trailers and the hype. Then we had a Nandos after. Was a fucking good evening.

Yeah god, the trailers were fucking incredible. I think TDK, Inglourious Basterds, Tinker Tailor, Prometheus and TDKR are the only films in recent memory I can remember being so so hyped and rewatching trailers for.

Source Code is awesome.

Jake Gyllenhaal does sci-fi really well. Donnie Darko is one of my all-time faves.

I fucking hate Donnie Darko. Like I seriously seriously hate it. I'm not ambivalent, I don't just dislike it. I genuinely felt like I'd wasted my time.

Linius

She watched England V Ukraine and was asking why the Ukraine goal didn't count, even though it crossed the line.

"Well they can't."

"But why not"

Just show her the blatterfalling.gif and then tell her this man is against camera help for refs. She'll understand.

"Well they can't."

"But why not"

By wearing a Sepp Blatter mask and beating her with your shoes.

Stop the movietalk guys, my backlog is huge already. Why o why did I decide to rewatch In Bruges instead of watching a film I hadn't seen before. Still a brilliant movie though.

Qnd Donnie Darko is gud.

Lightning

Banned
I hope this Vermaelen to Barcelona stuff is just talk. It would upset me greatly if Thomas leaves, especially after signing such a long contract.

dc89

Real Madrid can fuck off!!

According to Daily Mail they've set aside £55m to secure David Silva and are willing to include Higuain in a cash and player deal.

Also Newcastle and Sunderland have enquired about taking Guidetti on loan for next season.

And finally City are willing to spend £20M on Squirtel, as they are looking for a cheaper alternative to Thiago Silva. - Daily Mirror.

Wilbur

Banned
Guardian readers pretty spot on

The Guardian said:
The players themselves say they don't like them but you readers clearly do. We invited you to award your player ratings after every match in the group stage of Euro 2012 and you responded in droves, casting more than a quarter of a million votes.

We've collated them and calculated an average rating for every player who has started all three games of the group stage. The results make for interesting reading. Cristiano Ronaldo gave what you considered the best individual performance of any player in any match, with a rating of 8.80 for his display against Holland. But he fails to make our best team of the group stage after dismal ratings in the first two games.

Perhaps not surprisingly as the only team with three wins from three, Germany have a strong influence in the first XI, with three players – Manuel Neuer, Mats Hummels and Sami Khedira – making the cut, while Sebastian Schweinsteiger and Mario Gomez just miss out. Indeed you have been so impressed with Hummels, the Borussia Dortmund centre-half, that he is comfortably the player with the highest average rating of all, at 7.93.

Spain supply two midfielders in Andrés Iniesta and David Silva, but otherwise the team comes from far and wide – in total, eight countries are represented. Full-backs appear to be a weak spot, with no player awarded an average mark above 7, but Theodor Gebre Selassie and Fábio Coentrão can hold their heads high. Denmark's Daniel Agger is one of one of only two men to make the side from an eliminated country, along with Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Andrea Pirlo joins Khedira and the Spaniards in midfield, where Steven Gerrard, England's best player, narrowly misses out, as does Luka Modric. And up front, Ibrahimovic would be partnered by the Croatian Mario Mandzukic, who with three goals is currently the tournament's joint top scorer.

The worst XI is less diverse, with the entire line-up consisting of players from the Republic of Ireland, with seven, and Holland, with four, perhaps unsurprising given they were the only teams to lose all three games. Ireland's left-back Stephen Ward has the dubious honour of obtaining the lowest average rating of any player, 4.00.

FIRST XI

GK: Manuel Neuer (Germany) 7.47
RB: Theodor Gebre Selassie (Czech Republic) 6.70
CB: Mats Hummels (Germany) 7.93
CB: Daniel Agger (Denmark) 7.50
LB: Fabio Coentrao (Portugal) 6.90
RM: David Silva (Spain) 7.00
CM: Sami Khedira (Germany) 7.30
CM: Andrea Pirlo (Italy) 7.20
LM: Andrés Iniesta (Spain) 7.67
ST: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden) 7.40
ST: Mario Mandzukic (Croatia) 7.40