• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

ok, now I am contemplating watching that show.

How is it?
My wife likes Cougar Town so I've seen a bunch of episodes by osmosis. It's enjoyable -- the characters have a good rapport. There was no real dip in quality or anything when it changed networks either. It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for disposable entertainment.

Rikkun

Is there no wall of shame in FootyGAF? How do I see that
IO0pqxZ.png

dc89

FAO Meier & Yurt (cause you love to hate Mancini)

Last night I went to the City supporters club in Warrington with my dad, tc also came along for the Guiness. (it's held at an Irish Club)

The guest was Les Chapman - he has 749 league appearances to his name and although he never played for City, he is synonymous with the club due to the fact he has coached City reserves and in 1997 he became the kit man until he retired in 2014. You will have probably seen him doing stupid things on City's YouTube channel. Anyway, he naturally has a lot of interesting stories and information because of the position he had at the club. The Mancini stuff is just insane.

On the players (past and present)
  • When asked who was the most dedicated/hard working player he has ever seen at City he answered Carlos Tevez. He said that although he was quiet, he always trained at 110% and gave his everything, every time.
  • Also on Tevez, he said without a shadow of a doubt, Tevez did not refuse to play in Munich that time. He said he did however refuse to warm up because he had warmed up twice already and saw subs being made that were not him so he didn't see the need to further warm up.
  • He said that Tevez carried the City team for 2 years and for personal reasons, wanted to move when he did.
  • He said David Silva is the most gifted player he has ever seen at City. He said sometimes he would just stand and watch him train.
  • On this summers Yaya saga - he said he was with the team when they went to Abu Dhabi. He said that the club do things to keep Yaya sweet, orders from above so to speak. One of them is the vice captaincy that was taken from Zabaleta. And also on match days it has been known for the MoTM to be announced as Yaya Toure even if he hasn't won the vote.

On Balotelli
  • Called him a lovely lad but said that Balotelli is incredibly selfish, he is not and never will be a team player.
  • He said that he was confident Brendan Rogers would get the best out of him and potentially change his attitude. But not anymore
  • He said that Mario was known for smoking in the dressing room showers.
  • As a smoker himself, he said Mario was always asking for him for cigarettes and lighters
  • He said that Mario has the fiercest shot he has ever seen.
  • Mario asked for him to print a message on his under shirt for the Derby game. What Balotelli wanted was not allowed as it might upset someone (he wouldn't say what he asked for) but in the end Mario came up with Why Always Me?

Being a kit man
  • he went on about how he prepared all the players stuff, how many shirts each one had, how many pairs of boots etc. Aguero for example has 4 shirts, 4 shorts, 2 socks and then warm up kit. 4 pairs of boots. He said Shaun Wright-Philips was known to have 12 pairs of boots with him on a match day.
  • the players get to keep their shirts obviously, but if they want to get shirts signed for friends they are meant to pay £25 a shirt but never do!
  • The club will go through 3000 shirts next season.
  • He gave examples of players pre-match rituals or superstitions. Lescott would only wear navy ankle socks for training, everyone else wore the standard white socks. Lescott also would never wear a short sleeve jersey, it was always long whatever the weather. Umbro didn't provide player issue long sleeve jersey's, so Lescott's came from the club shop. Peter Schmeichel asked him to hide his gloves from him before every game, he didn't want to see them before he was just about to line up in the tunnel. They also had to be hidden from the sight of the other players.
  • He once forgot ALL the players match kit. It was left in Manchester and the team were in London about to play West Ham. He said he just about cobbled kits together from spares and Nigel De Jong had to wear a jersey which was far too small. He said the West Ham kit man helped him print all the jerseys and shorts

On Mark Hughes
  • He called him clueless.
  • He wanted to change too much, too soon.
  • His coaches and staff team was too large.
  • He explained that when a footballer goes through a medical at the bottom of the paperwork the manager can sign the medical off at his discretion should the player fail the medical. He did this for Roque Santa Cruz, who was injured at the time of his medical. He called it one of the most corrupt deals in modern football.

On Macini
  • He called him a twat.
  • Mancini's back room staff were decent enough people, but Mancini himself was rude & ignorant. He would never say hello or good morning to anyone, he would not acknowledge anyone. He said their working relationship broke down beyond repair and they never spoke.
  • He explained that Mancini had an assistant called Jose (who was not a coach and he did not have any footballing role at the club) he was basically his right hand man, who did the dirty work. One example he gave of this was 2-3 months after Boateng joined the club we were playing away in the Europa League and Boateng was called back to Germany as his wife/gf had gone into labour. Boateng was allowed to go back to Germany but was constantly being contacted by this Jose under Mancini's instruction. Boateng was told whilst he was waiting for his wife to give birth he should find a gym and do a quick session. He was contacted shortly after the birth and was told he had 30 minutes to leave the hospital and find a plane to where we were due to play, Boateng did this. Boateng didn't play, or make the bench. Mancini was being a cunt.
  • Mancini brought his own chef in from Italy - he was paid £120,000 a year and often turned up to work drunk.
  • If a player had a muscle injury Mancini would get "an Italian man as old as the hills" in to touch their muscles as Mancini believed he had "Miracle Hands".
  • On a pre-season tour of America (the year Balotelli tried that stupid marseille roulette finish thingy) Mancini said he did not like the look of the plane they were about to board to fly to a destination. £400,000 later a plane was secured which he did like the look of.
  • Mancini banned music in the dressing room, the players sat in silence before games, not even talking.
  • Mancini's team talks were none existent. He explained as a kit man he very rarely was in the dressing room during a team talk but at Bolton he stayed in. He said for 10 minutes Mancini didn't even enter the dressing room, then right before the players were about to go out he did. He did an impression of the team talk.
    "Micah, Davies, Impossible. Davies, Micah, Impossible. Impossible, Micah, Davies. Davies, Micah, Impossible." He said it went on for a good few minutes but no one daren't speak up. He went on to elaborate that team talks before the game were held by Kompany or James Milner if Kompany wasn't playing.
  • When Balotelli got sent off in that Europa League game Mancini went in the dressing room during the game and went berserk at him. He said that Balotelli just sat there looking at him whilst Mancini acted like a man possessed. He said it lasted a good five minutes before Mancini went to leave only to hurl a suitcase at Balotelli which narrowly missed his head.

Mancini & the club doctor
  • In Mancini's second season the club doctor mysteriously departed the club, a small statement on the website said they had mutually parted company. He then went on to explain what really happened. Mancini constantly disagreed with his diagnosis and treatment of the players citing that he knew better. Mancini brought his own people in to the club to then treat the players, but none of this was official. He said players were injected with treatments that were not authorised by the club doctor. The club doctor went to the chairman with evidence of what had been going on and the chairman said he was going to get back to him after seeking legal advice. The legal advice was that he paid the doctor whatever he asked for in order to terminate his contract because what was going on could have "shut the club down".

On Pellegrini
  • He is very nice and enjoyable to work with, very calm and relaxed.
  • Team talks are in English, but he will speak Spanish to the likes of Silva, Navas and Aguero when he is trying to convey a particular point.

Salazar

To be fair to Borini, Markovic came on and got himself sent right off like a plonker and he was venerated.

Fascinating stuff, dc.

So it's manegable in every day life? Going to the supermarket etc. What's your social life like? Bill Murray in Lost in Translation? 😏

You genuinely don't need to speak or read any Korean to survive here.

Subway: English
Banks: Most banks have english branches
Post office: Self servive machines in English
Supermarkets: Just look at the screen, or use a Homeplus, which is a Tesco and has English self service tills
Bars: Most bartenders speak, or understand English
Coffe shops: drinks are the same names.
restaurants: some are Korean completely. Others have English menus
McDonalds: Have an English language delivery website.
Hairdressers: Take a picture and point
Phone: Most have an English branch so you can sign up for your phone, internet, and cable.

Social life is easy. Almost everyone in Itaewon speaks English, so that will cover all drinking, eating, and
hookers
Hongdae is a student area so has a lot of English speakers.

Just learning a little Korean does go a long way, and learning the alphabet will make everything a lot easier.

dc89 all that stuff about Mancini is the exact same Mikkel Bischoff was saying in the radio here. He said no one in or around the club liked him, and even his own people didn't seem to lol. and that was what he got just by visiting the club a few times and talking to people there.

Rikkun

Good stuff dc89

Some things about Mancini sound really strange but eh, he's Mancini after all, and I'm inclined to believe you since Tevez really is an awesome player and worker. Everyone said he was a troublemaker, nobody here wanted him at Juventus but since then he never had any trouble (aside from saying he doesn't want to renew his contract expiring in 2016, but everyone knew he wants to play for Boca)

Linius

That language chart in the previous thread is pretty weird. Dutch is usually considered a very hard language to learn for people. Obviously not Korean/Chinese level hard, but not easy.

Meier

Thanks DC, that was worth the wait. Mancini truly sounds like an absolute nut job..it wasn't surprise that everyone was happy to see him go but this provides even more context.

Saw yesterday that Silva has only one the PL POTM once and it was back in 2011. Almost unfathomable really.

dc89

To be fair to Borini, Markovic came on and got himself sent right off like a plonker and he was venerated.

Fascinating stuff, dc.

It was very good. Very nice of him to come and spend 2 and a half hours just chatting.

MAncini sounds like a nut job

dc89 all that stuff about Mancini is the exact same Mikkel Bischoff was saying in the radio here. He said no one in or around the club liked him, and even his own people didn't seem to lol. and that was what he got just by visiting the club a few times and talking to people there.

Mancini is mad. Mad is Mancini.

That Jose guy is the one who used to drive Mancini's car behind his bike, right?

:loooool - probably. He said 'he looked like the smiliest man to walk the earth'.

Good stuff dc89

Some things about Mancini sound really strange but eh, he's Mancini after all, and I'm inclined to believe you since Tevez really is an awesome player and worker. Everyone said he was a troublemaker, nobody here wanted him at Juventus but since then he never had any trouble (aside from saying he doesn't want to renew his contract expiring in 2016, but everyone knew he wants to play for Boca)

He said Tevez was a very nice guy and he kept himself to himself. He said the only time there was a raised voice from him was when Mancini was involved.

That language chart in the previous thread is pretty weird. Dutch is usually considered a very hard language to learn for people. Obviously not Korean/Chinese level hard, but not easy.

Makes sense, both English and Dutch are west germanic. Maybe not easy, but easier than Russian or Chinese.

Mancini & the club doctor
  • In Mancini's second season the club doctor mysteriously departed the club, a small statement on the website said they had mutually parted company. He then went on to explain what really happened. Mancini constantly disagreed with his diagnosis and treatment of the players citing that he knew better. Mancini brought his own people in to the club to then treat the players, but none of this was official. He said players were injected with treatments that were not authorised by the club doctor. The club doctor went to the chairman with evidence of what had been going on and the chairman said he was going to get back to him after seeking legal advice. The legal advice was that he paid the doctor whatever he asked for in order to terminate his contract because what was going on could have "shut the club down".

Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
FAO Meier & Yurt (cause you love to hate Mancini)
just insane.
Thank you Danny boy that was fucking great :lol you might want to consider deleting that last doping line though :p

Thank fuck English is universal and they teach it everywhere (everyone can speak English here)

I speak very little Arabic but I've learned to some helpful phrases :lol like "Yalla" which depending on your tone could mean "LET DO THIS BABY" or"ok bitch fine" and my favourite "La Wallah" which is essentially "OH RLY"

"Insha-allah' when you want to promise someone to do something but you're actually not going to do it :lol

Yurt on top
this is what happens when you're alone for weeks
D5Jy4CR.png

Thank you Danny boy that was fucking great :lol you might want to consider deleting that last doping line though :p

Thank fuck English is universal and they teach it everywhere (everyone can speak English here)

I speak very little Arabic but I've learned to some helpful phrases :lol like "Yalla" which depending on your tone could mean "LET DO THIS BABY" or"ok bitch fine" and my favourite "La Wallah" which is essentially "OH RLY"

"Insha-allah' when you want to promise someone to do something but you're actually not going to do it :lol

this is what happens when you're alone for weeks
D5Jy4CR.png

Start calling people "khara". They'll really appreciate it.

Elchele

I'm more curious about german not being in the chart.

You all should be speaking spanish at this point

Subway: English
Banks: Most banks have english branches
Post office: Self servive machines in English
Supermarkets: Just look at the screen, or use a Homeplus, which is a Tesco and has English self service tills
Bars: Most bartenders speak, or understand English
Coffe shops: drinks are the same names.
restaurants: some are Korean completely. Others have English menus
McDonalds: Have an English language delivery website.
Hairdressers: Take a picture and point
Phone: Most have an English branch so you can sign up for your phone, internet, and cable.

Social life is easy. Almost everyone in Itaewon speaks English, so that will cover all drinking, eating, and
hookers
Hongdae is a student area so has a lot of English speakers.

Just learning a little Korean does go a long way, and learning the alphabet will make everything a lot easier.
Cheers m8

Shanks. I want to learn the Korean Alphabet but I always fail at it. Any tips?

The following letters and clusters of letters are found in the modern script:

14 consonant letters: ㄱ g, ㄴ n, ㄷ d, ㄹ l/r, ㅁ m, ㅂ b, ㅅ s, ㅇ null/ng, ㅈ j, ㅊ ch, ㅋ k, ㅌ t, ㅍ p, ㅎ h
5 double ("tense") consonants: ㄲ kk, ㄸ tt, ㅃ pp, ㅆ ss, ㅉ jj
these are basically just hard sounding versions of the single consonants
11 consonant clusters: ㄳ gs, ㄵ nj, ㄶ nh, ㄺ lg, ㄻ lm, ㄼ lb, ㄽ ls, ㄾ lt, ㄿ lp, ㅀ lh, ㅄ bs
6 vowel letters: ㅏ a, ㅓ eo, ㅗ o, ㅜ u, ㅣ i ㅡ eu, this is the hardest vowel to pronunce, but that is the shape your mouth should be in
4 iotized vowels (with a y): ㅑ ya, ㅕ yeo, ㅛ yo, ㅠ yu these are easy to learn if you have mastered the 6 vowels because you just add a y sound in front
5 (iotized) diphthongs: ㅐ ae, ㅒ yae, ㅔ e, ㅖ ye, ㅢ ui
6 vowels and diphthongs with a w: ㅘ wa, ㅙ wae, ㅚ oe, ㅝ wo, ㅞ we, ㅟ wi

The bolded ones are the easiest to learn and where you should begin.

Learning the sounds is simple and it is just a case of memorising the symbol. It can be done in a weekend. It was created so that peasants could learn it. :p

Once you learn that then it is just a matter of getting use to putting them together. If you are serious I am more than happy to send you some Korean books that I found helpful.

Elchele

14 consonant letters: ㄱ g, ㄴ n, ㄷ d, ㄹ l/r, ㅁ m, ㅂ b, ㅅ s, ㅇ null/ng, ㅈ j, ㅊ ch, ㅋ k, ㅌ t, ㅍ p, ㅎ h
11 consonant clusters: ㄳ gs, ㄵ nj, ㄶ nh, ㄺ lg, ㄻ lm, ㄼ lb, ㄽ ls, ㄾ lt, ㄿ lp, ㅀ lh, ㅄ bs
6 vowel letters: ㅏ a, ㅓ eo, ㅗ o, ㅜ u, ㅣ i ㅡ eu, this is the hardest vowel to pronunce, but that is the shape your mouth should be in
4 iotized vowels (with a y): ㅑ ya, ㅕ yeo, ㅛ yo, ㅠ yu these are easy to learn if you have mastered the 6 vowels because you just add a y sound in front

Learning the sounds is simple and it is just a case of memorising the symbol. It can be done in a weekend. It was created so that peasants could learn it. :p

Once you learn that then it is just a matter of getting use to putting them together. If you are serious I am more than happy to send you some Korean books that I found helpful.

that looks like some mayan language bullshit m8

English might be the greatest thing in the world. You just got to look on GAF and see how it brings people all around the world together. If you can speak English than you have so much more opportunities in the world. There are very few places where you can't get by.

ginga is the Korean oh rly. lol. it also can be used as a semi swear word. ahhhh gingaaaa, basically can mean fuck you, fuck this, fuck off etc. Depends on the context.

that looks like some mayan language bullshit m8

It might look intimidating at first, but once you realise it is the first recorded alphabet to have its origins specifically known and the rules laid out, then you can understand why it is so easy to understand. Of course then putting it together is a different thing all together.

Cheers m8

if you need help with anything, or have any questions then shoot me a PM :D

Probity

German is easy once you get an idea of the rules. In early learning a lot of people have to follow annoying grammar guidelines to get an idea of the language, but English speakers sometimes have a hard time since the words are in different areas.

Once you realize that German grammar actually lets you move around almost any word in a sentence to a different random spot (excluding constants), the hardest thing is trying to remember if something is supposed to be masculine or feminine.

I learned them simultaneously so it might be a bit different, but that is what some of my peers have said about their German classes.

Elchele

I've had Spanish for three years in school m8

But I can't speak it for shit.

can you write in spanish, tho? You should practice it. The language is very "unlimited" in comparison to english, and much more expressive too.

I think I'll get into an english course this year to do the Cambridge First test. I want to be able to speak and write correctly, specially the spoken part I'm terrible at it.
I want to learn german too, but there isn't a Goethe institute in here, only in Buenos Aires

Blablurn

thanks brah! will look into it

Linius

I can read German quite well. But don't ask me to have a conversation in German, I never use it anymore so it pretty much faded away.

It's quite sad when you think about it. I've had four years of German and French. Three years Spanish. And I don't speak any of those languages. What a waste.

Rikkun

I tried deutsch but the teacher couldn't speak Italian very well and didn't know how to explain the rules, so I stopped at "male and female fruit and vegetables". 2hard4me. And the head of my department comes from Germany, listening her speak with her mother on the phone gives me a headache.

So I tried French but I'm so lazy, even tho I need a third language to find a better job.

Je ne sais.

Probity

I can read German quite well. But don't ask me to have a conversation in German, I never use it anymore so it pretty much faded away.

It's quite sad when you think about it. I've had four years of German and French. Three years Spanish. And I don't speak any of those languages. What a waste.

German is much easier to read than hear, since you get a better idea of root words and can work based off what you know. When you're talking it has to be a lot faster and you can't really translate in your head the same way.

Then again, it is still a lot easier than hearing Dutch. I can read it just fine but it makes me laugh to listen to. I want to learn French and Spanish but not enough time for full studies. I was thinking I should probably learn Latin first and then just go crazy with like 5 different languages, but I'd still need to wait a while.

I tried deutsch but the teacher couldn't speak Italian very well and didn't know how to explain the rules, so I stopped at "male and female fruit and vegetables". 2hard4me. And the head of my department comes from Germany, listening her speak with her mother on the phone gives me a headache.

So I tried French but I'm so lazy, even tho I need a third language to find a better job.

Je ne sais.

Yeah, I figure for most non-German speakers, the language sounds really fast and weird. The main issue is that since the language is surprisingly free, people will just combine tons of words and move things around as they see fit and it makes conversations difficult to follow.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
German is easy once you get an idea of the rules. In early learning a lot of people have to follow annoying grammar guidelines to get an idea of the language, but English speakers sometimes have a hard time since the words are in different areas.

Once you realize that German grammar actually lets you move around almost any word in a sentence to a different random spot (excluding constants), the hardest thing is trying to remember if something is supposed to be masculine or feminine.

I learned them simultaneously so it might be a bit different, but that is what some of my peers have said about their German classes.

literally no one spoke English in Germany except for a few hipster BVB fans I've met in the airport

how can you guys not know what a fucking wi-fi is

and I can't believe Dutch is an actual language

Elchele

Je ne sais.

I liked French, did a summer intensive course a few years ago. But I think english and german would be more useful, so I didn't continue with it

literally no one spoke English in Germany except for a few hipster BVB fans I've met in the airport

german humor

German is much easier to read than hear, since you get a better idea of root words and can work based off what you know. When you're talking it has to be a lot faster and you can't really translate in your head the same way.

Then again, it is still a lot easier than hearing Dutch. I can read it just fine but it makes me laugh to listen to. I want to learn French and Spanish but not enough time for full studies. I was thinking I should probably learn Latin first and then just go crazy with like 5 different languages, but I'd still need to wait a while.

you should learn spanish. then you can learn italian/portuguese and even french with it
And spanish has the appeal of being the language of a shit ton percentage of the world

I can't even speak the language of the country I am a citizen of :((( Fuck my Dad, Nonna, and Football Italia for being on at the same time as my Italian language class as a kid.

I hired a tutor last year and I am improving now. It's just there aren't that many Italians in Seoul to practice with :(((

The worst is the amount of Germans who comes through Denmark, and just approaches you and speaks German at you, expecting you to understand and reply without problems. Pls.

Meier

Real ale in fridge and destiny on xbox one tonight what a time to be alive

There is a brewery about an hour away from Austin called Real Ale Brewing Company that is pretty well liked here. Do they have it available in the UK or are you just talking about ale from a cask?

real-ale-brewing-logo.png

Linius

Oh yeah, listening to German is quite okay too actually. When I watch the German news I usually understand a great deal of what's going on. So in a passive way I know some German thanks to school. But not in an active way, as in writing and having conversations.

The only language I really mastered (okay I make mistakes of course) is English. But that's not so hard.

On a side note, I scored 85% today on a silly Dutch test I had to do for school. Should have done better. 95% on spelling though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom