• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
It could be BAE's last Spurs appearance tomorrow.

:(
Good news for you that AVB says your summer plans are not relient on CL football. I wish ours was like that, wouldn't be such an issue if we draw or lose that way.

For us it's almost certain to be Sagna's last game unfortunately. He's been an excellnt player for our club and gave us his best years without getting rewarded and one of the most consistent players.

Is it worth replaying Bioshock on easy just to savour the atmosphere? Can't really be bothered with the mechanics, but Rapture is so good :(

Also, Arnie, you're a right JT. I'm addicted to that bloody milkshake now :D

Wilbur

Banned
My thoughts are pretty well documented on Mou, but for me it's hard to criticise him for speaking out in the press when Casillas, Pepe and all of the Spanish media are doing the same thing. He's fighting the battle on their chosen ground. Now the thing is it's a lose lose situation because if he reinstates Casillas, he looks weak. If he sells Casillas, he pisses off the whole country. But really, where do Madrid go from here? Back to another coach who does exactly what Perez says, buys a bunch of star players with no cohesive plan of how to fit them together, flop in the Champions League semis again?

Mourinho saying they didnt deserve to lose last night is what every single manager in club football would say after their team hit the post three times. Did they deserve to lose? Yes because they didnt finish their chances, but are people genuinely surprised he didn't say that? He says they deserved to lose against United and people are on his back, he says they deserved to win and people are still doing it. He can't win. And I'm not going to pretend he hasn't fucked up at all, but it's not a coincidence that his style which has worked everywhere hasn't worked at that fucking shithouse of a football club.

fuenf

I can't get over how pretty and nice it feels to hold and look at the Xperia Z. To me it's the phone of the year thus far, that 1080p screen ohmygod.

yeah, I need a new phone but can't decide between the S4 and the One. The Z excited me the most but I unfortunately I feel like the camera isnt up to par and I'll probably break a glass phone in a matter of minutes.

Linius

yeah, I need a new phone but can't decide between the S4 and the One. The Z excited me the most but I unfortunately I feel like the camera isnt up to par and I'll probably break a glass phone in a matter of minutes.

You won't break it, it's a tough phone designed to endure tough events. Unless you smash or throw it I doubt you will break it.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh, and Rafa's done a good job. Not a great one. Not a shit one. Not an average one. A good one. Hopefully he gets a good job at the continent and does alright because I find him quite likeable despite being a twat.

fuenf

My thoughts are pretty well documented on Mou, but for me it's hard to criticise him for speaking out in the press when Casillas, Pepe and all of the Spanish media are doing the same thing. He's fighting the battle on their chosen ground. Now the thing is it's a lose lose situation because if he reinstates Casillas, he looks weak. If he sells Casillas, he pisses off the whole country. But really, where do Madrid go from here? Back to another coach who does exactly what Perez says, buys a bunch of star players with no cohesive plan of how to fit them together, flop in the Champions League semis again?

Mourinho saying they didnt deserve to lose last night is what every single manager in club football would say after their team hit the post three times. Did they deserve to lose? Yes because they didnt finish their chances, but are people genuinely surprised he didn't say that? He says they deserved to lose against United and people are on his back, he says they deserved to win and people are still doing it. He can't win. And I'm not going to pretend he hasn't fucked up at all, but it's not a coincidence that his style which has worked everywhere hasn't worked at that fucking shithouse of a football club.

iDvgVALiIgEx7.gif

Seriously if I were Real Madrid I'd do anything to get this guy out of retirement. Just offer him a 1-2 year contract, a lifelong pension and a villa... whatever it takes. He already won the CL at Madrid, might currently be the best active coach in Europe and knows to deal with a squad full of divas. He'd be the only coach the media would accept without asking the questions you just posed.

In the early days of Heynckes was just as intense as Mourinho, he was known to over organize stuff and to suffocate players under his personality. But after taking a couple of years of, rejuvinating himself and studying the game, he learned a to take a more laid back approach and it's paying huge dividends. It makes even more sense if you look at his history at Bayern, he took over Van Gaal who's just as arrogant and self loving as Mourinho is, and the manager change alone helped to revitalize the squad. In short, Heynckes would be the perfect 'interim' solution for 1-2 years.

kharma45

I'd probably be killed because I'm irish

Makes no difference now, all the paramilitaries hate the PSNI so it doesn't matter what sort of background you come from. Still, actual PSNI deaths are extremely rare and you've probably a good chance of progression through the ranks due to all the equal opportunities stuff.

Fady K

HAPPY BELATED BDAY MESSI :)

BTW what was up with the almost unanimous Real Madrid hate last night?

Missed a couple of posts!

Sleeplessnights said:
Fady can't hate and Fady can't understand why the hate, but hate United.

Aaaaaa

Here's the thing bro, there is a bit of a misunderstanding about me here. I don't hate United anymore. I did at some point, but then my dislike (would not even say hate anymore) went towards Ferguson, who is retiring, and the excessive pride that *some* of their fans have. I even like Moyes!

Wilbury said:
I like you too baby! But I'm allowed to dislike your club haha! And you should dislike mine.

I dislike your owner, your manager, your captain, your fanbase, your sense of entitlement, your jamminess, your lucking out when it comes to money... but that's good. It breeds competition and it means the games matter more.

At least Mourinho is coming soon and you'll be better than us :(

Sorry for taking forever Wilbury. Fair enough, you are allowed to dislike the club. I can be an odd football fan at times. One thing though, this sense of entitlement is what I actually find in the majority of MUFC fans! As much as we luck out on money at least your team keeps on profiting and does good business + they keep on adding players that actually add to the team, unlike us. We spent some money this season on players we barely used like Marin and De Bruyne (who has not even played for our club yet in a competitive fixture and may even get sold already even though he is promising!). I'm not a big fan of the CFC captain myself, Lampard is my captain <3

I would not say that Mourinho's arrival (if it even happens) will make our team better than yours. Maybe City will leapfrog us both if they got a manager who knew how to get the best of his players unlike Mancini.

Sleeplessnights said:
liking a football club and liking a person should be separate, if I applied your formula in real life all my Juve friends would be not.

#FuckJuve #LoveConte #wherethestrikersat

Good point (Y)

Your avatar disgusts me.

Haha! Worry not Hitcher, it is not one from the heart ^^

Not that I know of.

Megapost by Linius! Good stuff :D

fady would be embarrassed making such a small post.

LOL. I hope this one suffices for now :p

It was merely an excuse to hope I earned my spot in Fady's next huge post :(

Big post or small post, you'll get quoted here regardless ;D (even though my post will be disappointingly small :p)

OMG

AMAZING

ibyj42JfSHsGh4.gif

Wow, this is so well done.

There is a good article here about the media portrayal of the Benitez issue:

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/5/18/4340682/rafa-benitez-media-reaction

Thanks for sharing this qin, I liked it for the most part!

I also don't think Chelsea fans (at least the ones I know here on GAF) are entitled, ungrateful, fickle or whatever other bullshit supporters want to throw at us.

You make some good points xintin, but this has to be my favorite. Fixed that for you. I see many supporters thinking that we all feel entitled all the time, pisses me off when the majority of them feel like they should be winning the title every single season.

Lightning said:
If I was a Chelsea fan I would be happy with the outcome personally. He's not the man to lead Chelsea forward but he couldn't have done a better job with such a tired squad. Only the defeat to Swansea in the league cup over 2 legs do I think Rafa needs to be held accountable for because that was poor. Semi final loss to City in the FA cup can happen to anyone so really hard to hold that against him.

Honestly a lot of us are happy with the achievements by Rafa. Winning the Europa League trophy was fantastic. He did a lot wrong with his substitutions though that affected many games in the wrong way. To be fair to him though, there were times when his substitutions saved the day. He wasn't as revolutionary as I hoped, his system has not been too attractive for the most part, but he definitely had a good run in my eyes. Any good hearted Chelsea fan will appreciate what he did during his short tenure here. Of course, much of the media will have you believe otherwise.

One final point which I've mentioned before, I am generally not fond of criticism of an entire fanbase. I've always took it to be posturing, a play for a feeling of superiority, as if the millions of people in a certain fanbase are inherently worse people than that of another fanbase. Similar sentiments are reflected in the whole denouncing of foreign fans as plastic, for instance. And in many other issues outside football.

Can't be said enough. This pisses me off so much.

null_zpsc3b27361.jpg

Todays Manchester Evening News. Mancini apparently paid for that with his own money.

The official Manchester FA twitter account said he took it out. What a class act.

:( :( :( :(

That is beautiful....I wish Mancini finds more success in his career.

Oh, and Rafa's done a good job. Not a great one. Not a shit one. Not an average one. A good one. Hopefully he gets a good job at the continent and does alright because I find him quite likeable despite being a twat.

A mix of average, and sometimes good, and sometimes very good actually. That is how I feel. I wish him the best though, I think he is a good fella and deserves good things.

Wilbur

Banned
Exactly and I mean honestly, who cares about which team Wilbury supports? It won't change us, Bayern or influence the outcome of the CL final.

:lol why am I being targeted?! I'm just happily reading how Mancini failed at the other team

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What caused the whole Mou vs Casillas war anyway since it had effected Real this season a lot?

From what I understand:

- Casillas is a lazy bastard in training and considers himself undroppable
- Casillas was playing shit this season and was even dropped for Adan a couple of times
- Mou signed Lopez to replace him
- Lopez played much better than Casillas
- Casillas leaked a bunch of gossip to the press

Lightning

Banned
From what I understand:

- Casillas is a lazy bastard in training and considers himself undroppable
- Casillas was playing shit this season and was even dropped for Adan a couple of times
- Mou signed Lopez to replace him
- Lopez played much better than Casillas
- Casillas leaked a bunch of gossip to the press
Ah I see. Casillas is a cunt then, players or managers who think they are above any club have no place at the club in my view.

Arnie

Also, Arnie, you're a right JT. I'm addicted to that bloody milkshake now :D

Good, isn't it. When I polish one off though I can't help but feel like I've drunk a kidney stone. A litre of sugary banana goodness.

On Rafa, I'd go a stone further and say he's done a 'really good job'. If he had lost the final to Benfica I'd have said he'd done a 'good job'.

Just been doing more research into German football and my god it's good. Foreign ownership can just fuck off. Let's get 50% fan ownership, elected presidents, invest £700 million into youth development, use part of our vast TV rights bonuses to pay for grass roots football, and train young, British coaches to be the opposite of Roy Hodgson.

Salazar

Ah I see. Casillas is a cunt then, players or managers who think they are above any club have no place at the club in my view.

It's more that Iker is full of shit about being the personification of Real Madrid - about having some kind of privileged understanding of what makes the club tick.*

*Money, in fact.

Wilbur

Banned
Just been doing more research into German football and my god it's good. Foreign ownership can just fuck off. Let's get 50% fan ownership, elected presidents, invest £700 million into youth development, use part of our vast TV rights bonuses to pay for grass roots football, and train young, British coaches to be the opposite of Roy Hodgson.

What pisses me off is that everyone in the entire country related to football always holds up the German model as a good one; players, coaches, pundits, reporters, members of FA boards...

And then not one does a fucking thing about it. We still have a shit youth system, we still have shitty ownership rules, we still have shitty prices tickets, we still have shitty Roy Hodgson

Lightning

Banned
It's more that Iker is full of shit about being the personification of Real Madrid - about having some kind of privileged understanding of what makes the club tick.*

*Money, in fact.
Then why has Ramos on more than one occasion been a spokesman for Iker? Iker is only part of the problem at Madrid. He has the biggest problem with Mou but he's not the only player who has an issue with Mou at Madrid.

Wilbur

Banned
Then why has Ramos on more than one occasion been a spokesman for Iker? Iker is only part of the problem at Madrid. He has the biggest problem with Mou but he's not the only player who has an issue with Mou at Madrid.

Because at least the media is capable of addressing the known fact that Ramos is a fucking bell end, whereas they seem completely loathe to pin anything on Casillas because he's porking an esteemed member of the Spanish media and is from the youth team.

Arnie

What pisses me off is that everyone in the entire country related to football always holds up the German model as a good one; players, coaches, pundits, reporters, members of FA boards...

And then not one does a fucking thing about it. We still have a shit youth system, we still have shitty ownership rules, we still have shitty prices tickets, we still have shitty Roy Hodgson

It has to come from the top.

In Germany the DFB reviewed modern football and came up with a fuck off plan to go in a different direction in line with their own philosophy. Can you imagine David Bernstein doing that? I hate to say it but we need to be throwing Beckham, and Roy Keane, and Gary Neville into the FA and then these things will be done. Give the power to people who understand football, and see it as a game to be played on grass, not in a boardroom.

3Sixty

13 and a half hours? I'd die :p

How many hours overall do you do a week d'you reckon? Also, do you get a decent rest between jobs/during work? I can barely handle 10 hours sometimes

Ah it's not that bad.

Probably average 60 hours a week. Monday I'm doing 11-7 then 7-11.

COuld be problematic.

Wilbur

Banned
It has to come from the top.

In Germany the DFB reviewed modern football and came up with a fuck off plan to go in a different direction in line with their own philosophy. Can you imagine David Bernstein doing that? I hate to say it but we need to be throwing Beckham, and Roy Keane, and Gary Neville into the FA and then these things will be done. Give the power to people who understand football, and see it as a game to be played on grass, not in a boardroom.

Exactly. It's not going to happen though, there's a fucking pandemic of greed and stupidity at the top of our game. Beckham seems quite happy to be just an ambassador of the game, Keane isn't allowed anywhere without a tranquilliser gun fixed on him, and Neville... don't see him shaking things up. It's just not going to happen, unfortunately.

Exactly. It's not going to happen though, there's a fucking pandemic of greed and stupidity at the top of our game. Beckham seems quite happy to be just an ambassador of the game, Keane isn't allowed anywhere without a tranquilliser gun fixed on him, and Neville... don't see him shaking things up. It's just not going to happen, unfortunately.

Well, the difference and maybe the problem is that there's still some talent in England. Players like Wilshere, Smalling, Jones, the Ox, Welbeck, etc. Germany 2000 was a fucking disaster, Deisler was pretty much the only talent we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom