• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For $450, This Japanese Company Will Quit Your Job For You

caffeware

Banned
Stressed out, overworked, or just over it: Workers in Japan who want to leave their jobs — but don't want to face the stress of quitting in person — are paying a company called Exit to tell their bosses that they won't be back.

"There's definitely demand out there," Okazaki told Martin. He added, "Personally, I'm perplexed as to why people find it hard to quit, but I do sense that this atmosphere is prevalent in Japan."

The "retirement agency" says it helped them avoid the anxiety of quitting and blocked their bosses' attempts to get them to stay.

For decades, Japan's work culture revolved around the idea that people should spend their entire careers at a single employer. But that sense of deep loyalty has shown cracks in recent years. Workers' priorities have shifted away from their jobs, and they now have more options thanks to Japan's low unemployment rate, which has sat at or below 2.5 percent for all of 2018.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/28/642597968/for-450-this-japanese-company-will-quit-your-job-for-you

Is Japan simply focked?

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
its more about having the nerves to quit. a lot of people want to quit their jobs, but just never think it's the right time. so having someone else do it for you just simplifies it and rips the bandaid off for you, without you getting in the way of yourself. sounds like a dumb idea but im sure itll work for some people out there

FYI I am already in this business Gaf.

For $100 I will put notice in for you. Just ask for the Professional Package.

For $150 I will quit on the spot with a little attitude. Just ask for the Oh no He/She didn't Package.

For $200 I will really show my ass. Just ask for the Fuck This Place Package.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

No. I know this type of mindset is foreign to westerners, but I've worked at Japanese companies for all of my working adult life now, and "face" is a big deal to them. It is why so many workers will stay until their boss goes home, even if they are not actually doing any work.

Most of my Japanese co-workers put in 10-12 hour work days, just because they feel obligated to make sure the job is done right, so that someone else doesn't have to pick up their slack.

Quitting is pretty troublesome for them, because it involves inconveniencing people you feel obligated to. They aren't rugged individualists like we are in the US. They are considerate of one another because they don't want to be a burden on others.

It is like using a turn signal. Here, so few people use turn signals, because people are far too self centered. It is flipped around in Japan. Someone not using a turn signal is a rarity.

I think it is a better ethic than what we have in the west though in some ways.

Japan has it's share of problems, they aren't perfect.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
From article: "There's definitely demand out there," Okazaki told Martin. He added, "Personally, I'm perplexed as to why people find it hard to quit, but I do sense that this atmosphere is prevalent in Japan."

Because japan unlike western version of capitalism has work codex which basically states that when you join company you should be in that company for whole life. Those who jump ship are very very very undesirable there unless there is huge demand and they can't do anything about it.
This also goes both ways. Companies do not fire people lightly like we are used to in Europe or US.

It is just different culture.

lil puff

I am surprised there isn't a service that offers a 3rd party entity to lay you off of your job without notice in the US.

I once got laid off of a +10 year job and I know it was difficult for my supervisor to call hundreds of colleagues and I to HR to break the news. I tried to be gracious but I know that other employees did not take the news well and lashed out.

The other 2 times I got laid off, however, the employer seemed to not care. The second time - my old boss called me back to try and get me to come back once she found out that my replacement was incompetent and slept on the job. "Oh we appreciated your professionalism and work ethic, we made a mistake, etc. Well, I tried to tell you. Too late.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Why pay to quit your job when you can do it for free?

i think the reason is like the people who are working for konami, if they quit they job the company they will follow you and speak badly in the other company that you are going to work

Y2H

i think the reason is like the people who are working for konami, if they quit they job the company they will follow you and speak badly in the other company that you are going to work
But wouldn't they do the same if the employee chose to quit the company using this service? The former employer would also have more ammunition to use against their ex employee as they can say the employee is cowardly for using a service to quit their job instead of doing it themselves. To me this whole concept looks like it would create more problems for people than actually solve them.

womfalcs3

Banned
Unoriginal. The show, "The Middle", had Boss Co (an informal business) that broke up for guys who were afraid of the backlash.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
But what if you don't have a job?

source.gif

What kind of exit can i then expect?

d8ff9629ade20e3fe0d95b919bdc96f4.gif

Wait....

hYbM90F.gif

For the unaware: I am making a dark joke here.
Ontopic:
No surprise that such a thing exists in Japan - Amazing work ethic and friendlyness. I remember how at the World Cup after they lost to Russia, they left their locker rooms crispy clean with a note saying Thank you. Amazing people.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Yeah i don't know. If i was going to quit my job i would rather be a little bit more careful about what i'm spending.

lil puff

Yeah i don't know. If i was going to quit my job i would rather be a little bit more careful about what i'm spending.
True LOL

But from their perspective, what an easy $450.

"Hello, how are you? Charles Harris just quit. Take care, bye"

Gander

Banned
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I'll do that shit, I'd quit in such spectacular fashion for people they will have to start giving out awards for it.

LordPezix

I get this. Quitting can be tough especially if the employer really needs you to stay.

I was a top operator in my department and my lead depended on me heavily. It felt disloyal to quit but I had to so I could better my life.

6 months later I heard the department turned to shit because they couldn't find a suitable replacement. If I were of the Japanese career mentality, hearing that could put a lot of unneeded stress on someone. Especially if you still communicate with your old boss.

ndreamer

Is there a no notice period there ? Be weird getting someone else to quit for you then needing to go to work for a few weeks to complete your contract.

Winchester

This is solid and I want to use it. No joke.

Not sure why you'd need someone to quit for you. Gotta overly complicate matters and there's no need. It's a quick and simple process. Write up a two week notice, meet up with the boss and/or HR and tell them verbally, submit written, then finish out your two weeks. Failing to see how this is so difficult.

HanyBak

Neo Member
My friends lived there for a couple of years. Japan has a different workplace culture, it stresses group work much more than individuals. It influences the way they perceive their role in the company and role of their company in life in general. It's harder to leave for them, I think.

Top Bottom