• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For its 20th anniversary, Halo 2's infamous E3 2003 demo that never made it into the final game is coming to Halo: MCC

Draugoth

Gold Member
syhZrX6Zqp9zZuAgPmirNM-970-80.jpg.webp

That famous Halo 2 demo from E3 2003 is finally going to be playable later this year.

More than a year before Halo 2 hit store shelves, publisher Microsoft debuted a full-fat nine-minute demo of the game at E3 2003 that made the already hyped shooter an even bigger event. But the entire demo's mission and ideas like the winding city highways never saw the light of day and were scrapped as Bungie made last minute changes to the game.

At this weekend's Halo World Championship Series 2024, 343i revealed the demo would be revived for Halo 2's 20th anniversary on November 9, alongside a first look at its remade Earth City linked below - a fun little peek at what could've been. The updated demo will also come with overhauled lip sync in the demo's cutscenes, added waypoint markers to the map in case you want to go off-script, and will obviously use assets from Halo 2's release build.

Source

Last edited:

Roberts

I'm not ashamed of loving the shit out of Halo Infinite, but the franchise is obviously in a need of a shakeup and this could be the right first step - will generate a lot of goodwill and could be a beginning of Halo renaissance.

GametimeUK

I'm not ashamed of loving the shit out of Halo Infinite, but the franchise is obviously in a need of a shakeup and this could be the right first step - will generate a lot of goodwill and could be a beginning of Halo renaissance.
I love Halo Infinite too. Matter of fact I loved Halo 4. They aren't as good as the Bungie games, but I still believe in the franchise in terms of the campaigns. Never really enjoyed the MP since 3.

I think since the disastrous launch of MCC they've managed to turn things around for that game and hopefully it translates well to their next project.

Fingers crossed.

21 years ago, fuck me 😵‍💫😞

tenor.gif
It only gets worse. Seeing 30th and 40th anniversary on things, really makes me know I am becoming old. (well some of those 40th anniversary things means I was 6 when it came out.) Got to keep it in perspective)

This is awesome for those who want to play it. Would be cool if more games get scrapped content (optional playthroughs)

I own the MCC, got it for $5 or 10 spot (forget which) and yeah still not into Halo. Didn't help my first time playing it was Halo2 on vista. Shit had a "play before its done installing" thing and half the textures were missing....ms was such shit back then. Was fun for a bit and then it switched to the Alien guy and I was like wtf... Not knowing the story it through me off.

I tried going back in with Reach but that game confused me even more, yet it was supposed to be first on the timeline. Guess I either need to start with halo 1, or admit "you had to be there" to get it.

Last edited:
I love Halo Infinite too. Matter of fact I loved Halo 4. They aren't as good as the Bungie games, but I still believe in the franchise in terms of the campaigns. Never really enjoyed the MP since 3.

I think since the disastrous launch of MCC they've managed to turn things around for that game and hopefully it translates well to their next project.

Fingers crossed.
Where do you start playing these? I own the mcc and I tried going into Reach as it was the first to install and it confused me on what was even going on. I thought master chief was unique, and they all looked like him. Just different colors. Also different refrences to things I had no clue what they were talking about.
No clue why that game was the first to release.

I guess I should just start with Halo 1. I tried that for a bit but man it doesn't hold up that well. I get it's a product of its time, but I was a pc gamer only between ps1 and ps3 so I remember way better shooters on pc.

Where do you start playing these? I own the mcc and I tried going into Reach as it was the first to install and it confused me on what was even going on. I thought master chief was unique, and they all looked like him. Just different colors. Also different refrences to things I had no clue what they were talking about.
No clue why that game was the first to release.

I guess I should just start with Halo 1. I tried that for a bit but man it doesn't hold up that well. I get it's a product of its time, but I was a pc gamer only between ps1 and ps3 so I remember way better shooters on pc.

Reach was the last Bungie Halo, released after Halo 3 & ODST. Its more of a prequel to the events of the first game given how it ends and the Spartan programme involved. It's probably best to just start with the original and work through to Reach after the trilogy (tho it is probably my favourite of the bunch)

Last edited:
Top Bottom