• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ford slated to produce Hybrid versions of Mustang and F-150 in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://jalopnik.com/ford-is-making-a-hybrid-mustang-and-hybrid-f-150-1790710931

In a move all but guaranteed to ruin many, many monitors via surprised spit-takes, Ford has announced that there will be hybrid versions of some of their most iconic cars, including a hybrid Ford Mustang and a hybrid F-150. These would have been punchline-grade ideas in the very recent past, but Ford seems committed to electrification across the board.

Forget V8s and EcoBoost turbos: America’s best selling vehicle and one of its best-selling sports cars are getting electric power.

Ford said the truck and Mustang are both due out by 2020, built in Dearborn and Flat Rock, respectively.

More opining and a link to the press release with the link above. This is related to the thread about Ford's investment in Michigan, but I know that thread will be all about Trump and I'd like some focused discussion on the vehicles instead of the plant or politics.

I'm sure most of the conversation that will follow in this thread will be about the Mustang, and comparisons to hybrid systems found in the McLaren P1 and LaFerrari. If they are comparable, that is.

My excitement is about the truck, though. My next vehicle will be a truck, because I am a woodworker and hauling plywood is something I do regularly. My small SUV and van are PITAs to do this with, plus I have other reasons. I thought that an electric truck might not be a bad idea, but a hybrid power plant that will also serve as a generator is brilliant. It means I could break down sheets or lumber in general on location, something that pulls too many amps with power outlets in my van or even in the bed of the Ridgeline. It would be fantastic for camping as well, and for uses on a ranch, etc.

I'm genuinely excited about this development, and while I'll wait for reviews, this will likely be my next vehicle.

Extend my range
toward the lock
if old.

SDCowboy

I would be all over a hybrid F150 like white on rice. It will be interesting to see what mileage it gets, though, as the smaller eco boost F150 already gets impressive mileage.

Man, I totally misinterpreted this title and thought it meant a hybrid between a Mustang and an F150.

If you require high towing capacity, you probably wouldn't be getting the hybrid.

I thought that electric engines generally had tremendously high torque, no? I don't imagine the batteries will last a great deal of time but that's why the petrol engine's there, I guess!

If I had to offer a guess it would reduce it by about the amount the batteries and electric motor weigh. It would probably be paired with the 2.7L EcoBoost, which can do 8500lbs. Figure maybe a floor of 5000lbs if not, which is enough for a trailer and most cars on top. Seems fine to me.

If you could do that in a package that also has 4WD...yeah, I'd go for that.

SDCowboy

Man, I totally misinterpreted this title and thought it meant a hybrid between a Mustang and an F150.

I thought that electric engines generally had tremendously high torque, no? I don't imagine the batteries will last a great deal of time but that's why the petrol engine's there, I guess!

Correct, but as you mentioned, in a heavy towing situation, you wouldn't be on the electric for long.

SDCowboy

If I had to offer a guess it would reduce it by about the amount the batteries and electric motor weigh. It would probably be paired with the 2.7L EcoBoost, which can do 8500lbs. Figure maybe a floor of 5000lbs if not, which is enough for a trailer and most cars on top. Seems fine to me.

If you could do that in a package that also has 4WD...yeah, I'd go for that.

That little 2.5 ecoboost in the F150 is a pretty sweet egine.

n0razi

How will having a hybrid engine affect towing capacity I wonder?

Electric motors have superior torque over gas.. similar to diesel numbers. Most of the torque that you need for towing is during initial acceleration and then the engine can take over while you have momentum. The higher mass should help with regenerative braking too.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Will mustangs still do burnouts and crash into crowds though?

One time I was on a winding road with one lane each way on a section with cliff on each side at 1AM, when from around the corner... a black Mustang in the wrong lane with its headlights off. Good times.

Nice going Ford, only about 50 years give or take late to compete with the Chevrolet El Camino. The Australians however have some Utes that are a modern day rival namely the Holden SS range powered by the GM LS3.

Dishwalla

Banned
Nice going Ford, only about 50 years give or take late to compete with the Chevrolet El Camino. The Australians however have some Utes that are a modern day rival namely the Holden SS range powered by the GM LS3.

Ford had the Ranchero for many years, in fact the Ranchero predated the El Camino. Not sure what point you are trying to make here...

Ford had the Ranchero for many years, in fact the Ranchero predated the El Camino. Not sure what point you are trying to make here...

Did not know about this, thanks. I will look into it but very tired right now.

My point is now nothing I suppose and I can admit if it means I learn something and I am always interested to expand my knowledge of the US automotive industry especially as I am a non American looking at it from a European perspective.

lem0n

More options never hurt anyone. As long as I can still get the Coyote/Voodoo in the Mustangs and the Coyote/Ecoboost in the F150 still, but just add a hybrid option, I'm happy. Seems a little counter-intuitive to make a heavy truck like that a hybrid, I mean, just look at how well the Yukon/Tahoe hybrids worked out. But you never know with modern tech it may work a little (or a lot) better.

Dishwalla

Banned
Did not know about this, thanks. I will look into it but very tired right now.

My point is now nothing I suppose and I can admit if it means I learn something and I am always interested to expand my knowledge of the US automotive industry especially as I am a non American looking at it from a European perspective.

No worries.

Al-ibn Kermit

Since motors/regen systems are usually in the front due to most of the braking force being on the front wheels, I wonder if this means an AWD Mustang is coming? I'd actually be interested in that.

Hybrid trucks can have surprisingly decent towing capacity. The Rav4 hybrid has a ~1700 lbs capacity which isn't too shabby.

Which is about the same as a 135 horsepower Corolla...

Methinks that it would be best to use the large engine with the hybrid system and then use that in combination with cylinder deactivation to get a truck with high tow rating and good fuel economy.

The hybrid system is going to raise the price so it may not make sense to use with the smaller engine models anyways. But I'm not an expert.

Electric cars are so fun to drive because of the high torque of the electric motors. I have one and when I had to switch to a gas sports car rental for a week, it just wasn't as fun to drive.

Electric or hybrid not for me but more power to the guys that do. It creates less demand for oil which means lower gas prices for me.

Yes please. I always wanted a muscle car. After coming to understand climate change, I gave up my hopes for ever having a high muscle car. I'm highly interested if they can offer an electric Mustang!

Earendil

I would be all over a hybrid F150 like white on rice. It will be interesting to see what mileage it gets, though, as the smaller eco boost F150 already gets impressive mileage.

Same here. I'm looking at the 2.7L for my next vehicle and it's already impressive, especially considering the power output.

Orca

I wouldn't worry too much about the electric engine having a short life if you're using it for towing since that would likely be used to add torque to get it moving and not much else. I do wonder how much heavier it will be due to the batteries, which could reduce your tow limits.

I'm pretty happy with the new 3.5L eco with 10 speed, but a hybrid would be great. Around town driving is always brutal on fuel economy with a truck.

mreddie

Hybrid Mustang sounds really cool. Hybrid F-150 sounds wrong but cool.

I'm glad hybrids stepped up their game in the last 10 years but fuck, some are still ass. Hi Chevy Volt, the biggest wasted design in recent memory.

Eh my 2015 mustang will be the last brand new mustang I buy. Even if the V8s does not go away I probably won't support mustang anymore.

Chevy will probably follow Ford like it always does and make a hybrid Camaro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom