• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget GMR's Fable Review, HSG: Fore! has been Gamespotted!

Bog

Junior Ace
Is that some kind of joke review? OOH TIGER WOODS USES AN ANALOG SWING! THAT MUST MEAN IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I guess online play tournaments mean nothing to this guy...typical Gamespot PS2 review. That review just didn't fly well with me at all.

Mrbob

Bog said:
Is that some kind of joke review? OOH TIGER WOODS USES AN ANALOG SWING! THAT MUST MEAN IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY!

Ever reviewer seems to want to jock Tigers virtual dick.

explodet

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Reviewers don't seem to get that this is EVERYONE'S golf
Damn, and here I was thinking this was golf only for Hot Shots!

:D

Seriously though, I don't think it deserves THAT score.

ge-man

Mrbob said:
Ever reviewer seems to want to jock Tigers virtual dick.

Seriously. I remember similar kinds of bullshit last year with MG:TT (even though it did pretty good score wise at most places). Why does everything have to be a sim or super immersive/ complex or bloated? This is the shit that's really killing videogames.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
me in some other thread said:
sign of impending apocalypse: game reviewers have been conditioned to enjoy ea's style of drek, and have even come to expect it in other games. i liked it better when they shilled for nintendo. and i didn't like that at all.

tiger woods is garbage. the mechanics are easily exhausted; there's nothing under the surface complexity. minna no golf is sublime. its crystalline simplicity belies considerable depth. i expect it's only superficially marred by scea's pointlessly, charmlessly localized characters.

ea sucks. gamespot sucks. minna no golf rocks.

Bog

Junior Ace
Personally, I hate the analog swinging. HSG's tap tap tap mechanic is so precise. It's the old 'easy to learn, hard to master' cliche. There's a reason it hasn't changed in 4 games - IT'S PERFECT.

From the review:

"This mechanic remains functional and can prove challenging, especially when you get to the putting green. However, it does nothing for simulating the tactile aspects of swinging a golf club."

This just in: Madden doesn't simulate the tactile aspects of throwing a football! :D

The whole review reads as an ad for the Tiger Woods game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The maps are fucking great. The mechanic is great. Everything about it is pretty fucking great. This one review...I don't get it.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
If it makes any of you feel better I was treated to a 20 minute game demo by an EB manager who absolutely loves the game. Fuck man that was one hell of a 20 minute expose and I can already tell this game deserves more than a 7.3.

Mrbob

Bog said:
Personally, I hate the analog swinging. HSG's tap tap tap mechanic is so precise. It's the old 'easy to learn, hard to master' cliche. There's a reason it hasn't changed in 4 games - IT'S PERFECT.

EA is the new age Nintendo. Any problems with their games will be glazed over by reviewers and anything they implement into their games must be copied into other games or these games are punished.

Alright, an 8/10 for Fable I can understand -- it's a Molyneaux wank project and those always turn out on the overrated side, by and large.

But HSG4 has EVERYTHING. You cannot make a golf game better. Period. Great courses, graphics, gamplay modes: everything. Tiger Woods, Links 2005, Outlaw Golf, Toadstool Tour: all half-assed compared to HSG4. This lack of recognition not only shames Gamespot, it shames us all as gamers. Boo. Boo. Boooo.

HSG's tap tap tap mechanic is so precise. It's the old 'easy to learn, hard to master' cliche. There's a reason it hasn't changed in 4 games - IT'S PERFECT.

This man speaks the truth.

After you read this paragraph, is there any point in going further?

Gamespot said:
There are some subtle improvements to the presentation, and the inclusion of online play is a welcome addition, but when compared to each other, you'll find it difficult to tell the difference between Hot Shots Golf 3 and Hot Shots Golf Fore!

Meier

I think one of the EGM reviews gave it a 6.5 or something silly. I havent decided if I'll buy this at full price or not, but it will be mine at one point or another. Loves me some HSG.

I haven't played Fore yet, but I was recently introduced to HSG3 and have been playing it to death. The changes and additions I've read about for the sequel seem pretty positive, so at the risk of sounding like a Fable fan, this review is bullshit.

Hopefully all these complaints about no analog swing will be ignored by Sony. The HSG button tapping system is superior IMO. Applying ball spin in-flight is a far more egregious sin anyway, especially for a supposed sim like Tiger Woods.

Teddman

Their review is too late to be relevent... I'm already having a ball with it online.

I guess they didn't get an advance copy and the score shows.

I can go along with a point or two being docked for it being very similar to Hot Shots Golf 3. I don't mind, though; the physics and game mechanics are great.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I have yet to play the new one, but my experience with HSG3 informs me as well that this score is bullshit.

Jumpman

I'm guessing if Hot Shots had the analog swing, it would have had gotten a 9.3 instead. Then they probably would have jizzed on about how great the online mode is, etc. It's pathetic how some things like this can be the difference between a glowing review or a review talking about what a rehash the game is.

B'z-chan

Banned
Now i've played the last golf games to come out and i still have to say they're was a lot of room for improving on both the single player and online game. I will say that even though i loved HSG 3 when it came out that it is slowly showing its age in the presence of better golfing experiances. But that doesnt mean that it isnt still fun. Its a great game and Fore is probably my favorite Golf game on PS2.

I can understand that i shouldnt be expecting Links XBN like online play, but at least they could have added more players to Vs mode online. And i think it wouldnt have been too hard to show where others have hit and landed on the green, similar to quick play in Links where you see a colored line.

I do agree however that the three tap system is great for using iron's, driver's, and wedge's..... BUT NOT ON THE DAMN GREEN its no longer acurate when you get to the green. The analog stick is a lot better suited for putting.

I would have like to of seen more mini golf courses. they arent that hard to make. Or at least give the option to make our own courses to upload online.

AND WHY DID YOU TAKE OUT DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT SONY!! at least give us the few that support you something worth owning your $100 hdd.

I would hope that Sony learns from other games that have come out and at least add something to HSG in the next game other than online play.

[/rant]

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Analog swing in TW is so fucking retarded, there's absolutely no way to not hit a shot dead center unless you make an effort to; I bet Tiger Woods wishes he were 1/10th as dead-on as analog swing.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I don't see why there should be a big difference between 3 and Fore anyway. HSG3 had excellent physics and gameplay system. If it ain't broke...

snapty00

Banned
I dunno. I'm certainly not defending that score (and comparing it to Tiger Woods is pointless, anyway), but I do agree that a sequel shouldn't be so similar. I mean, in that case, they should've just released it as an expansion to the original for $15 or $20.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the minna no golf sequels have followed the same principle as the gran turismo sequels - keep the core mechanics, add lots of content. this works for minna no golf, because the mechanics are perfect; even camelot's attempts to revise them in the last two mario golf games have only degraded them slightly. gran turismo on the other hand has all sorts of problems, but those games will routinely and undeservedly get nines and tens whenever polyphony trots them out. i contend that this is because game critics are stupid and very often fat. if they can pretend to care about the debatable "improvements" in ea's annual rereleases, they can bloody well forgive minna no golf its relative stasis.

Top Bottom