• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forgot that i had my phone in my bathboxers and went swimming in the ocean

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You had a waterproof Samsung in your pocket and didn’t notice?

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
iPhones are water resistant and Apple themselves say don’t submerge an iPhone. Think newer models can apparently withstand 30 minutes at no more than 6 meters but I wouldn’t risk it
I never really understand why water proof-ness is limited by time.

I've got a guess, and I think it's probably right, but if anyone definitely 100% knows why, I'd be interested to hear it.

JCK75

Most flagship phones have been "Waterproof" for quite some time..
but this is for accidents like yours and nobody should purposely get them wet.

Hudo

How the fuck do you not notice you have shit in the pocket of your bathboxers? Do you not use your legs when you swim?

Reactions: Gp1

JCK75

How is the unprotected charging port able to withstand water?

I'm guessing the small size means it will get limited water exposure.. it's still not good for it..
waterproof means if you drop it and recover it you'll more than likely be fine.. just don't take it swimming with you on purpose.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Cool story bro. iPhone has been swim proof since iPhone 7 in 2016.
Cool story fanboy. The iPhone 7 was water resistant by no means "swim proof" with a IP67 rating which means no saltwater and could only be submerged for 30 minutes in 1 meter of water not waterproof which carries and IP68 rating. The Sony Xperia Z was waterproof in 2013. In 2016 Samsung launched the Galaxy S7 which was waterproof with an IP68 rating as opposed to iPhone 7's water resistant shitty IP67 rating. Tell me what year you were allowed to change the color of your icons. 🤣

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Are they saltwater proof? Because salt water will mess stuff up. Just ask the ocean.

I dropped my Samsung in the sea in 2019 in Portugal, it lasted for about six months after that the charge port ended up getting fucked up so watch out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I never really understand why water proof-ness is limited by time.

I've got a guess, and I think it's probably right, but if anyone definitely 100% knows why, I'd be interested to hear it.

Because after enough time passes, eventually some water will seep its way into somewhere, and the phone isn't engineered to have every single nook and cranny watertight. The test performed on the phone also lasted for that specific time period, usually 30 minutes. Claiming some kind of water resistance without making note of the time interval of testing would lead some people to think that it's completely water resistant when it really isn't.

Toots

Gold Member
Dropped an iphone 3 in the toilet bowl (pre piss thank god), had to change the screen but apart from that worked like a charm for a couple years afterwards.

Tams

They are water-resistant, not waterproof.

There are specified limits as the testing has to have some benchmark to classify with. It does not mean a given device can specifically withstand that, only that enough of the tested devices did. A device maybe able withstand more or less.

Open ports are coated in a protective grease/coating, as are the electronics.

Salt water is much worse as the greater amount of ions and minerals in it react with the device. With adhesives, this eventually makes watertight parts no longer watertight as the adhesiveness is reduced. For electronic components, it causes short circuits.

Bar a few components, most of a device with be fine in distilled water as that water has no contaminants.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's best to keep your electronic device away from any water, especially salt water.

Last edited:

SantaC

They water-resistant, not waterproof.

There are specified limits as the testing has to have some benchmark to classify with. It does not mean a given device can specifically withstand that, only that enough of the tested devices did. A device maybe able withstand more or less.

Open ports are coated in a protective grease/coating, as are the electronics.

Salt water is much worse as the greater amount of ions and minerals in it react with the device. With adhesives, this eventually makes watertight parts no longer watertight as the adhesiveness is reduced. For electronic components, it causes short circuits.

Bar a few components, most of a device with be fine in distilled water as that water has no contaminants.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's best to keep your electronic device away from any water, especially salt water.
I am very impressed it was able to withstand saltwater then.

My phone is a samsung s22 plus

Thaedolus

How is the unprotected charging port able to withstand water?
At least with iPhones, it detects if there’s liquid in the port and shuts it down. I’ve cleaned mine with IPA before and it wouldn’t allow charging until it totally dries out.

Water resistance is a product of pressure and time. Things like speakers will eventually allow ingress once they become saturated or have enough pressure to overcome their resistance. The ratings are based on recognized standards which you must test to in order to certify the stated performance, usually with some extra safety factor. I’d rinse the fuck out of a phone that was in salt water though, that will corrode it fast

Zathalus

Not all IP68 ratings are the same. Samsung is rated at 1.5 meters for 30 minutes, while Apple is rated at 6 meters for 30 minutes.

Gp1

Good, give your phone a good fresh water bath to rinse all that salt and you're good to go. :)

ReBurn

Gold Member
I dropped my iPhone in a creek and immediately retrieved it and it was ultimately fine. It gave me a warning that there was water in the charging port about 12 hours afterward, but the next day it was better.

I also sent a pair of AirPods pro through the washing machine and they were fine. I had them in a silicon case that seals the charging port and the seal kept the water out.

I feel like I got really lucky twice so the next thing I submerge is probably going to explode.

Top Bottom