• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former US foreign policy leaders unite to bash bush's policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3810895.stm

There is more at the link, including quotes, but this is good for starters.

A group of retired US diplomats and generals has condemned the foreign policy of the Bush administration as ideological and callously indifferent.

Avis T Bohlen, President Bush's former assistant secretary of state for arms control
Adm William J Crowe, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff under President Reagan and ambassador to UK under President Clinton; has endorsed John Kerry
Jeffrey S Davidow, President Bush's former ambassador to Mexico
William A DePree, ex-ambassador to Bangladesh
Donald B Easum, ex-ambassador to Nigeria
Charles W Freeman, ex-ambassador to Saudi Arabia
William C Harrop, President Bush Senior's ambassador to Israel
Arthur A Hartman, ex-ambassador to Soviet Union and France
Gen Joseph P Hoar, commander in chief of US Central Command under Bush Sr; supports John Kerry
H Allen Holmes, ex-special operations chief
Robert V Keeley, ex-ambassador to Greece and Zimbabwe
Samuel W Lewis, ex-ambassador to Israel
Princeton N Lyman, ex-ambassador to South Africa
Jack F Matlock, ambassador to the USSR under President Reagan and President Bush Senior
Donald F McHenry, ex-ambassador to the UN
Gen Merrill A McPeak, former Air Force chief of staff; supports John Kerry
George E Moose, ex-African affairs chief
David D Newsom, former acting secretary of state
Phyllis E Oakley, ex-intelligence and research chief
James Daniel Phillips, ex-ambassador to Africa
John E Reinhardt, ex-ambassador to Nigeria
Gen William Y Smith, ex-deputy commander in chief, US European Command
Ronald I Spiers, ex-senior UN official and ambassador to Pakistan
Michael Sterner, ex-ambassador in Middle East
Adm Stansfield Turner, CIA director under Carter; has endorsed John Kerry
Alexander F Watson, ex-assistant secretary of state for Inter-American affairs

Someone can post an owned pic when they feel like it.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Why bother? They're a bunch of liberal arabists with books coming out who were fired because they couldn't do a good job.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
iapetus: Not only that, they are criticising the president while we're in a war. They need to stop playing politics.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hitokage said:
Not only that, they are criticising the president while we're in a war.

OH MY GOSH, NO!! Really, I've never got this whole "shouldn't criticise the prez while at war thing". Or are we kidding? I guess Bush should perenially stay at war..no wonder he characterises himself as a "war president". He's lovin it (badadadada! /mcdonalds)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
We're at war? I thought the war was over, and we were now at peace again, although it's difficult to tell by just looking at the bodycount...

Or do you mean the WAR ON TERROR?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
iapetus said:
We're at war? I thought the war was over, and we were now at peace again, although it's difficult to tell by just looking at the bodycount...

Or do you mean the WAR ON TERROR?

Well, yeah, it is the perfectly fluffy term to allow Bush to forever say he's at war, even when the US isn't actually. Perfect defense against critics!

Cherubae

Hitokage said:
iapetus: Not only that, they are criticising the president while we're in a war.

The US Government is not at war, they're just flexing the power of Manifest Destiny in a global scale.

COCKLES

being watched
I don't think all those names will hurt as much as the 'Haves and have mores' & 'My Gold Swing' in F 9/11.

Ripclawe

Banned
Thats nice, but thats about it, you can do google searches and find certain things about them that pretty much proves these are 9/10 people with 9/10 policies whining about whats going on in a 9/11 world. Their whinings about being hated and losing "allies" ia laughable.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is sarcasm that hard to pick up on the internet?

Thats nice, but thats about it, you can do google searches and find certain things about them that pretty much proves these are 9/10 people with 9/10 policies whining about whats going on in a 9/11 world. Their whinings about being hated and losing "allies" ia laughable.
Absolutely, but most of all, 9/11 proves democracy is a failed system which cannot support our great country and keep it secure for our people.

SFA_AOK

Hitokage said:
Is sarcasm that hard to pick up on the internet?

Aimed at me?

I was just wondering if Iapetus' "Hopefully it works better than the WAR ON DRUGS" was a jab at the left is all! Could be a complaint aimed at the right or a parody of a leftie's response... In fact he could be parodying a right wing person who was in turn parodying a left wing person with that argument! The mind boggles... @_@ ;)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I thought it was the other way around on that point, which is why I misinterpeted your post.

Sorry, I take it back.

Pimpwerx

Where were all these people oh...a year and a half ago? I guess GAF is on the frontlines of political debate, b/c I believe there were more people than this paltry list who disagree with Bush's policies. I think it's great they are finally saying something, but it's way too convenient to wait until the shit really starts hitting the fan to mobilize. Something about too little too fucking late. :( PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom