• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohonky

Merc shouldn't have caved into Hamilton's whining because his tyres are a lot older compared to those around him now.

Thats where the team strategists need to come in though. Hamilton can tell them the tyres are going off, but the team need to confirm that while that maybe, the car behind isnt gaining so stick with it.

They can see the bigger picture, he cant, same problem they had at Monaco.

Merc just threw the race away, Hamilton wasnt liking the tyres but he was keeping Vettel far enough back, but pitting Ham guaranteed he would end in traffic and eating the new ryres while being held up.

Made no sense to come in that early.

Ark

Engine parity is like asking the teams to all design the same cars.

Refuelling will at least mean it doesn't become a procession again, a greater element of uncertainty. Cars on bleeding edge, different refuelling strategies....aero is vital but dirty airflow has always been an issue with F1.

Like the Pirelli-cheese tyres of recent years, refueling creates false overtakes. And they aren't overtakes that occur on-track, the drivers who are fueled more heavily wait for the lighter cars to pit and then overtake.

I understand why you would think refueling creates excitement, but it's actually the most predictable and boring the races have ever been. The reason 07 and 08 were so exciting was because the teams were all significantly closer to each other, partly because we had much more manufacturer money in the sport than we do today; not because of refueling.

There would be more strategy blunders for sure, but ultimately it would have exactly the same effect as the Pirelli-cheese tyres, which I absolutely hated.

Sec0nd

Did I catch it correctly that Red Bull is still racing with some older cars and wont be able to use their new tech for another 3ish races?

Rolfgang

Did I catch it correctly that Red Bull is still racing with some older cars and wont be able to use their new tech for another 3ish races?

I thought it was a part of the engine, that's also 5 kilograms heavier. And yeah, they can only fix it in Europe to avoid penalties.

Juicy Bob

This is going to be a fucking short race.

1hr 20ish for a race around Melbourne is super quick.

Albeit a lap shorter than usual and no SCs, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom