• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fountain Pens 2k16

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Decimo is already out, I have a silver-bodied model. It's really nice, although I don't have a regular sized one to compare to. I use it every day for class notes. Would recommend.

edit: well, it's out in Asia at least, maybe it's getting imported soon and that's what you mean?

You lucky so and so!

Pilot just announced it for US and UK.

I also just got a Jinhao 159 in a stationery subscription box. It's a $12 Chinese fountain pen. Mine is fire engine red, with an M nib. It writes surprisingly well. If you like a really chunky pen, you might want to check it out! It looks like a fat cigar - it's a little disturbing. It's also very heavy. It feels like it's made out of a giant chunk of iron. I guess $12 is not going to buy you the most sophisticated pen in the world, but I' still shocked at the sort of 1940s vibe it gives off.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Any comments on the Karas Kustoms Fountain K?

website_fountain_k_copper.jpg

This copper one is gorgeous.

I think every fountain pen fan should have a Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point!

I've just about exhausted the options from Lamy (I have a couple cheap Platinums for my daughters) so time to try something new, I will check one of these out.

My other high-end pen (relatively speaking - my VP is the priciest thing I own) is a Franklin-Christoph Model 27.

I have been looking at these in the last thread but ran into paralysis of choice. I think the Model 33 is calling to me for its uniqueness of barrel/case.

Ink got in yesterday (I have no idea how Jetpens ships so fast from CA to ME...).

pens-ink-feb-2016.jpg

I also just got a Jinhao 159 in a stationery subscription box. It's a $12 Chinese fountain pen. Mine is fire engine red, with an M nib. It writes surprisingly well. If you like a really chunky pen, you might want to check it out! It looks like a fat cigar - it's a little disturbing. It's also very heavy. It feels like it's made out of a giant chunk of iron. I guess $12 is not going to buy you the most sophisticated pen in the world, but I' still shocked at the sort of 1940s vibe it gives off.

I got a Jinhao 159 along with the Safari I mentioned in a previous post. I too really like the way it writes, but I bought it without realizing how chunky it would be—it's so weird. It's not uncomfortable or anything, it's just huge. Plus it's heavy enough that I feel like I could maybe use the pen to defend myself in the event of a home invasion, assuming I threw it really hard and managed to hit the burglar in the face, and then also followed up with a lot of yelling.

Also it came with a converter that sucks at drawing up ink... and by that of course I mean it doesn't suck up ink, or at least not very well. But from what I've read this isn't necessarily out of the ordinary for Jinhaos. I think I'll just end up syringe-filling it.

injurai

Banned
Anybody use fountain pens for math or technical work? I always liked mechanical pencils because of the angle I could get with lead. It suits my hand writing, but I've moved to pens. I keep meaning to jump into this world, but I don't do much prose. Mostly technical work and small doodles.

I guess I want to have a pretty fine tip that won't leak too much ink. I use a .7mm F-402 which honestly feels like .5 lead in terms of size. But I'd like something comparable in terms of compactness but without losing the appeal of fountains.

Also I want something that is portable so caps and ink reserves would be well received.

linid0t

Anybody use fountain pens for math or technical work? I always liked mechanical pencils because of the angle I could get with lead. It suits my hand writing, but I've moved to pens. I keep meaning to jump into this world, but I don't do much prose. Mostly technical work and small doodles.

I guess I want to have a pretty fine tip that won't leak too much ink. I use a .7mm F-402 which honestly feels like .5 lead in terms of size. But I'd like something comparable in terms of compactness but without losing the appeal of fountains.

Also I want something that is portable so caps and ink reserves would be well received.

Platinum Preppy has a really fine tip - and it's cheap enough that if you think it's not suitable it's not a huge waste.

Almost all of my pen work is note-taking, either personal (to do, annotations on papers I'm reviewing) or technical (I'm a programmer). I also use them as part of my after-hours math work, getting through all of Khan in preparation for taking some courses on ODEs and numerical methods. The Lamy Safari Fine is... fine... for this; there's the Extra Fine nib too if you want it even sharper, although I've never used it myself.

injurai

Banned
Yeah, I might just go with the Lamy as it seems like a nice starter pen, it's well loved. Oft recommended. I don't want to dive too deep with expensive pens but I want something that feels nice to use from the start.

I saw someone recommend getting a screw off cap because it helps prevent dragging the nib along the inside of the cap. Any good screw off cap pens? It doesn't seem that the Lamy's are, but that's probably the price range I want to look in first.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I've just about exhausted the options from Lamy (I have a couple cheap Platinums for my daughters) so time to try something new, I will check one of these out.

I have been looking at these in the last thread but ran into paralysis of choice. I think the Model 33 is calling to me for its uniqueness of barrel/case.

Ink got in yesterday (I have no idea how Jetpens ships so fast from CA to ME...).

pens-ink-feb-2016.jpg

Jetpens are wizards. How do they use the same postal service as everyone else, yet their stuff arrives days earlier???

With any shimmering ink, giving the pen a good shake before writing helps resuspend the metal particles, giving more shimmer.

I got a Jinhao 159 along with the Safari I mentioned in a previous post. I too really like the way it writes, but I bought it without realizing how chunky it would be—it's so weird. It's not uncomfortable or anything, it's just huge. Plus it's heavy enough that I feel like I could maybe use the pen to defend myself in the event of a home invasion, assuming I threw it really hard and managed to hit the burglar in the face, and then also followed up with a lot of yelling.

Also it came with a converter that sucks at drawing up ink... and by that of course I mean it doesn't suck up ink, or at least not very well. But from what I've read this isn't necessarily out of the ordinary for Jinhaos. I think I'll just end up syringe-filling it.

My converter worked just fine, but quality control being a bit spotty sounds about right.

Sailor Clear Candy has a very fine nib.

Kaweco sports are my favorite pocket pens. They come in F and EF nibs, with all sorts of body types. The way the cap screws on makes them extra secure against ink leaking.

I've done some technical work in fountain pen, but I'm with you - mechanical pencil is the way to go. Specifically, this mechanical pencil, made from 80 year-old ash trees reserved for the production of baseball bats.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yeah, I might just go with the Lamy as it seems like a nice starter pen, it's well loved. Oft recommended. I don't want to dive too deep with expensive pens but I want something that feels nice to use from the start.

I saw someone recommend getting a screw off cap because it helps prevent dragging the nib along the inside of the cap. Any good screw off cap pens? It doesn't seem that the Lamy's are, but that's probably the price range I want to look in first.

TWSBI Eco. $30. Excellent starter pen! If you love it, you can move on to a 580 or Vac700.

Accoun

Any comments on the Karas Kustoms Fountain K?

This copper one is gorgeous.

While I don't have any, it's rather nice timing because I was just about to ask something.

Lots of times if someone posts a higher class pen, it's usually pretty... dressy, like you would expect some higher-up in a company to have. And I'm not a fan of dressy things myself: with watches I prefer divers/pilots over the elegant classics, in writing utensils my favorite is probably the Rotring 600 series mechanical pencil and I like the Lamy Safari design as well.
And my question was: are there any good higher-end fountain pens in a style I might prefer? No price range because I won't be buying anything. I was just thinking about it the other day and it got me curious.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
While I don't have any, it's rather nice timing because I was just about to ask something.

Lots of times if someone posts a higher class pen, it's usually pretty... dressy, like you would expect some higher-up in a company to have. And I'm not a fan of dressy things myself: with watches I prefer divers/pilots over the elegant classics, in writing utensils my favorite is probably the Rotring 600 series mechanical pencil and I like the Lamy Safari design as well.
And my question was: are there any good higher-end fountain pens in a style I might prefer? No price range because I won't be buying anything. I was just thinking about it the other day and it got me curious.

I like Franklin-Christoph because their pens are understated, but the body designs can still be a bit funky.

Pilot Vanishing Points come in everything from matte black to the crazy holographic-lookin' Radens, to metallic colors. You can find something fun there.

Most pricey pens end up being quite staid and conservative, or else they are ridiculously gooped up with decoration. Go to Goulet pens and sort the pens by price. They carry some very high end stuff. You can get a sense of the options at $500 and see if there are pens that look like what you'd like.

injurai

Banned
You get a nice ink in the reservoir and you'll have to beat back potential suitors with either a stick or a Jinhao 159!

Probably a newbie question, but if I get this then I need to pick out an ink correct? I don't have the nicest paper yet, but I think I'll be wanting something that isn't going to bleed too much. A nice black or deep charcoal/gunmetal would be nicest.

Living in a very arid environment, my Metro developed a bit of a skip very, very fast as the ink probably dried in the feed. Shouldn't have been possible as I kept it capped and in the case between uses, but ah well. Arizona dries out everything to the nth degree, even stuff in containers developed to stop dehydration, it just takes a little longer. Wiping the nib gently with a damp paper towel made things awesome again, and I went over it again with the dry end to make sure no ink was diluted.

I'm using mine to "study", as well. I don't do a ton of casual day-to-day handwriting (shopping list and game notes), but I am doing Duolingo's French course right now. (I'm only 7 "branches" in so, roughly 5% actual fluency.) Repetition of set phrases is boring, so I'm trying to use the pen to make it a little more memorable of an experience.

This thread inspired me to pick up a Pilot Metro along with a Plumix and Penmanship for the Medium Italic and Extra Fine nibs.

I've noticed that when I write with the Medium Italic nib on the Metro, I have to hold the nib at a very specific angle to write smoothly without starts and stops. With the standard medium nib and the extra fine nib, I don't need to be nearly as careful about the angle of the pen.

Is this expected?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
This thread inspired me to pick up a Pilot Metro along with a Plumix and Penmanship for the Medium Italic and Extra Fine nibs.

I've noticed that when I write with the Medium Italic nib on the Metro, I have to hold the nib at a very specific angle to write smoothly without starts and stops. With the standard medium nib and the extra fine nib, I don't need to be nearly as careful about the angle of the pen.

Is this expected?

Yeah - a normal nib has a rounded tip. It's closer to a ballpoint pen in a way. The italic nib is flatter and sharper. They write the most smoothly at a particular angle.

MiszMasz

You lucky so and so!

Pilot just announced it for US and UK.

Nice, for the money I'm a big fan of Jinhaos. I've got a 500 that was quite nice to start with but I've adjusted the tip a little with some micromesh and now it's my smoothest writer, the weight and shape of it's just right for me too. I've got an X450 and a 611 with a hooded, fine nib on the way now too. All three of them together have cost me less than my Metropolitan did.

linid0t

Anyone know if it's possible to swap the Kakuno smiley-nib onto a different Pilot pen? That would be pretty cute, I think.

AxeMan

Just got my Pilot Metropolitan and my hand writing is terrible. It didn't show up so bad with a ball point but writing with a fountain pen makes it look particularly bad.

It had the squeeze thingy in it but I swapped it out with a cartridge that also came with it

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Probably a newbie question, but if I get this then I need to pick out an ink correct? I don't have the nicest paper yet, but I think I'll be wanting something that isn't going to bleed too much. A nice black or deep charcoal/gunmetal would be nicest.

I'm not sure what my favorite black ink is! Noodler's makes several different black inks, with varying degrees of blackness. You might look there?

CheesecakeRecipe got me into gray inks as an alternative to black. You can get more interesting shading, which is probably the #1 thing I am looking for. I like subtle variation in my inks. It makes writing more interesting.

Anyone have a favorite black ink? I think the actual black Iroshizuku is one of the few I have not tried.

Anyone have a favorite black ink? I think the actual black Iroshizuku is one of the few I have not tried.

Favorite? No. But up near my glass pen on the high shelf I didn't touch for years, there was also a bottle of Private Reserve Velvet Black. I'm very fond of it. My only comparison point right now is the cartridge that comes with the Metro, but all I can tell is that it is a different shade of "black". The Velvet Black does allow some minor variation. It really looks similar to the canvas of a black velvet painting. It is rather wet, with an interesting sticky quality and dries okay if applied normally, but full saturation/drips will need blotter or time. Keeping in mind my bottle is at least three years old, but the Goulet customer reviews look good.

I fetched my InkDrop for the month out of the mail, but can't use them properly because I still need to sand my *Glass Pen's nib. Frustrated and sad. I ordered sandpaper off of Amazon instead of going to the store to try and prevent impulse shopping, says it should be here today. Ink is not getting to the tip of my glass nib at all unless I press scary levels hard, so I gave it a thorough bath this morning and made sure there are no dried ink flecks left.

MiszMasz

I'm not sure what my favorite black ink is! Noodler's makes several different black inks, with varying degrees of blackness. You might look there?

CheesecakeRecipe got me into gray inks as an alternative to black. You can get more interesting shading, which is probably the #1 thing I am looking for. I like subtle variation in my inks. It makes writing more interesting.

For a black ink I generally prefer a very dark, plain black to make as strong a contrast to the paper as possible.
For regular use, I quite like Diamine Onyx at the moment. It smears to a very dark grey, but cleanly written I can't pick up any other hints of colour at all, it's just a very deep black.
Otherwise, the black Lamy cartridges I have in a couple of my pens is just fine, that should be exactly the same as what's in their bottles.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Welp, I decided to drop $200 today.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Pilot ... we'll see what I think I like the idea of switching to a gold nib.

I also picked up some beautiful ink; and then decided "f-it," I'll pick up a glass dip and some nice, gold calligraphy ink, as we're sending out wedding invites next month on black envelopes... wish me luck!

24575883589_21d19d9b78_b.jpg

kharma45

Bought a Lamy Safari after reading the OP. Went fine nib as from a YouTube video I watched the fella said it's more like a medium on most pens.

MiszMasz

Bought a Lamy Safari after reading the OP. Went fine nib as from a YouTube video I watched the fella said it's more like a medium on most pens.

Yeah, European fines are about the same as Japanese mediums, and the other sizes pretty much follow that pattern.
I started with a Fine Safari too, it's a nice all-rounder and the perfect gateway back into fountain pens for someone who hadn't used one since secondary school over a decade ago.
I'm not sure how American brands compare though, all my nibs are German, Japanese or Chinese. If someone can say, it'd be nice to know.

EDIT:
By the way, I recently found this guy's site:
http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/index.htm
The page linked has a lot of good info about inks in general but even better, toward the bottom you'll find a list of brands and behind each link are tests and examples of various colours by that brand.
He hasn't tested absolutely every ink sold by each brand listed, but he's done a lot of them and it's a nice reference to have.

Bought an Emerald of Chivor sample from Goulet Pens. Using it in a Metro with a Medium Italic nib.

Not getting much red or gold at all -- just teal. Do I need a stub or broad nib to see the full effect of the ink?

Welp, I decided to drop $200 today.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Pilot ... we'll see what I think I like the idea of switching to a gold nib.

I also picked up some beautiful ink; and then decided "f-it," I'll pick up a glass dip and some nice, gold calligraphy ink, as we're sending out wedding invites next month on black envelopes... wish me luck!]

That's the Glass Pen I have (mine is purple!), so let me know how you like it! And congratulations on your impending nuptials! :)

Bought an Emerald of Chivor sample from Goulet Pens. Using it in a Metro with a Medium Italic nib.

Not getting much red or gold at all -- just teal. Do I need a stub or broad nib to see the full effect of the ink?

I don't have this ink, but are you shaking it in the pen before you use it? I have the impression (from the OP) that the way/direction you write with this one might be important as well.

Essay

How problematic is it to use fountain pens if one has a non-standard grip—say, a grip that introduces more changes of angle and rotation than the norm?

My whole life I've held my writing implements between my thumb, middle and ring finger with the tip of my index providing what could only be called torsional guidance higher-up the shaft. With my approach, the movement of my pen between my fingers is dramatic enough that people have caught a glance of it at odd angles and assumed I was left-handed and that they had just never noticed. Certain kinds of pen have even been known to unscrew on me as I write.

It wasn't so bad when I was a just kid who enjoyed pencil sketching, but handwriting has always been unpleasant for me in academics, note-taking, and with my former (now-repressed) love for epistolary composition. I mean, I can't even imagine writing while applying "very little pressure," so maybe fountain pens aren't to be in my books?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
How problematic is it to use fountain pens if one has a non-standard grip—say, a grip that introduces more changes of angle and rotation than the norm?

My whole life I've held my writing implements between my thumb, middle and ring finger with the tip of my index providing what could only be called torsional guidance higher-up the shaft. With my approach, the movement of my pen between my fingers is dramatic enough that people have caught a glance of it at odd angles and assumed I was left-handed and that they had just never noticed. Certain kinds of pen have even been known to unscrew on me as I write.

It wasn't so bad when I was a just kid who enjoyed pencil sketching, but handwriting has always been unpleasant for me in academics, note-taking, and with my former (now-repressed) love for epistolary composition. I mean, I can't even imagine writing while applying "very little pressure," so maybe fountain pens aren't to be in my books?

Each pen has a 'sweet spot' where the tipping material meets the paper in the perfect way, which keeps flow consistent. Finer points naturally have smaller sweet spots, while italic/stub nibs require the entire surface of the nib to be touching paper at all times. For grips and handwriting techniques that have been trained on ballpoints and pencils, you'll have to unlearn some bad habits if you want to use fountain pens as painlessly as possible. Any rotation mid-stroke will lead to the tip losing contact, which produces skips in the line.

It sounds frustrating, and it is! At least for a little while. I spent some months reworking my handwriting, and the first step was learning better muscle control. The key was to be less reliant on twitch response from my fingers, but instead, using the shoulder as a pivot point. This still doesn't work quite as well for me in more cramped desk conditions, but once I started tweaking my approach, I noticed my fountain pens were writing much, much smoother as well.

Essay, if you're interested because of the ink refilling/customization options, have you considered getting a refillable rollerball? (There are some very cheap trial options.)

The Pilot Varsity (~$3) and Plumix (~$6) and everything in between are priced in a "disposable" range if you want to try it out, maybe? However, if you're rotating the tip while dragging it on the surface with your writing style, I don't think a traditional fountain pen is a good choice for you. Rotating the nib that much makes me feel like if you try it, you'd better have safety glasses and gloves on. The pen might help retrain you and affect your grip and handwriting if you're willing to try them for that reason.

One huge problem I forsee for you with either type of pen is that refillable pens of any sort tend to have a lot of parts and the important ones are typically held on by screw threads. Right above the nib housing in most cases, which is pretty much where the are on a ballpoint.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Each pen has a 'sweet spot' where the tipping material meets the paper in the perfect way, which keeps flow consistent. Finer points naturally have smaller sweet spots, while italic/stub nibs require the entire surface of the nib to be touching paper at all times. For grips and handwriting techniques that have been trained on ballpoints and pencils, you'll have to unlearn some bad habits if you want to use fountain pens as painlessly as possible. Any rotation mid-stroke will lead to the tip losing contact, which produces skips in the line.

It sounds frustrating, and it is! At least for a little while. I spent some months reworking my handwriting, and the first step was learning better muscle control. The key was to be less reliant on twitch response from my fingers, but instead, using the shoulder as a pivot point. This still doesn't work quite as well for me in more cramped desk conditions, but once I started tweaking my approach, I noticed my fountain pens were writing much, much smoother as well.

I was wondering when you'd show up! <3

For really weird grips, you can get nibs ground at oblique angles. You might need to go to a pen show (oh how I dream of going some day!) to get some professional advice.

After I broke my hand, I held a pen between my thumb and fourth finger for about a year. Even now my grip is a little unorthodox. As CheesecakeRecipe said, there is a bit of re-learning involved for some folks to get the nib to stay in position as you write, but this is often a good step in developing better handwriting anyway.

Not that I would know after that one dude said my handwriting sucked. :mad:

Essay

Thanks for the perspective and suggestions. I do like the idea of retraining my handwriting by one means or another; although, I worry that all the rushed note-taking I do in my day-job would cut into any gains I'd make and send me straight back to old habits. It does sound like a productive undertaking for me to take on on a personal level, but, more than anything, I'm thinking about time-commitment and just mustering up some measurable+realistic goals to keep me on track, knowing the challenge I'd face.

I'll probably pick up a fountain pen regardless to test the waters on a rainy day down the road though. As it is, I was looking into teaching myself to write Kanji, so I might as well combine working on that with cleaning up my grip and penmanship.

Thanks for the perspective and suggestions. I do like the idea of retraining my handwriting by one means or another; although, I worry that all the rushed note-taking I do in my day-job would cut into any gains I'd make and send me straight back to old habits. It does sound like a productive undertaking for me to take on on a personal level, but, more than anything, I'm thinking about time-commitment and just mustering up some measurable+realistic goals to keep me on track, knowing the challenge I'd face.

I'll probably pick up a fountain pen regardless to test the waters on a rainy day down the road though. As it is, I was looking into teaching myself to write Kanji, so I might as well combine working on that with cleaning up my grip and penmanship.

Graph paper is excellent for training logographic based character systems, as it limits you to standard sizing for each character and attached modifiers, it is what I use every time I make a half-assed attempt at learning kana. Try going for one with larger sized squares to start, you can always get more petite paper later. Just something to think about if you are going to go all-in on getting fancy paper. It does bring a certain amount of luster to learning something new.

If you were doing hieroglyphs, I'd suggest a calame instead of a fountain pen! ;)

For really weird grips, you can get nibs ground at oblique angles. You might need to go to a pen show (oh how I dream of going some day!) to get some professional advice.

After I broke my hand, I held a pen between my thumb and fourth finger for about a year. Even now my grip is a little unorthodox. As CheesecakeRecipe said, there is a bit of re-learning involved for some folks to get the nib to stay in position as you write, but this is often a good step in developing better handwriting anyway.

Not that I would know after that one dude said my handwriting sucked. :mad:

It doesn't. I like it; it has a certain quirkiness to it that suits your personality :). I would show you my scrawl but given the high numbers of people that browse GAF it would be as if millions of eyeballs suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I think picking up a cheap disposable fountain pen whether combined with learning Kanji or not would be a very good idea for you. I have been using the Pilot V Pen for a year or two and they are very good considering the price. They are not as cheap as I would like here in the UK but they are worth the extra expense over a crappy biro. My proper fountain pen is gunged up and probably needs some proper attention. That will teach me to neglect it for the V pens and for using cheap bottled ink.

Given your interest in learning Kanji that suggests that you would not be completely hostile to a focused, even meditative process that re-learning handwriting would elicit. I do so hope you undertake this and let us know how you get on :).

Okay, I'm feeling confident enough (lol, no. Just silly from lack of proper sleep.) to silence a million voices eyeballs with my fifth and final writing sample from the InkDrop selections this month. I learned an important lesson today about fountain pens! Got experience points in disassembly, fully rinsing, drying, and reassembly of two pens (including feed and nib placement!) and a con-50. (I may have broken the converter, by the way. Not "trash" broken, but "no longer vacuum fills" broken. Good thing I have 100+ disposable pipettes.)

I still haven't gotten my Glass Pen working again, which is what I wanted to sample the inks with. I may try grinding it on a whetstone, since the sandpaper didn't help the flow, but I think I'll look up tutorials online first, to make sure I don't need to lubricate it or something weird that I'd never dream of doing. It lays down ink, but I need to hold it nearly parallel to the paper. Very uncomfortable.

Fountain Pen Questions for Experts: does the con-70 fit in a Metropolitan? Are there any other cheapie pens with compatible and attractive nibs I should swoop down on for it?

And yes, I'm already planning on buying a new pen. I'd ask for help, but the only kind right here is of the enabling sort. ;)

Okay, I'm feeling confident enough (lol, no. Just silly from lack of proper sleep.) to silence a million voices eyeballs with my fifth and final writing sample from the InkDrop selections this month. I learned an important lesson today about fountain pens! Got experience points in disassembly, fully rining, drying, and reassembly of two pens (including feed and nib placement!) and a con-50. (I may have broken the converter, by the way. Not "trash" broken, but "no longer vacuum fills" broken. Good thing I have 100+ disposable pipettes.)

I still haven't gotten my Glass Pen working again, which is what I wanted to sample the inks with. I may try grinding it on a whetstone, since the sandpaper didn't help the flow, but I think I'll look up tutorials online first, to make sure I don't need to lubricate it or something weird that I'd never dream of doing. It lays down ink, but I need to hold it nearly parallel to the paper. Very uncomfortable.

Fountain Pen Questions for Experts: does the con-70 fit in a Metropolitan? Are there any other cheapie pens with compatible and attractive nibs I should swoop down on for it?

And yes, I'm already planning on buying a new pen. I'd ask for help, but the only kind right here is of the enabling sort. ;)

My eyeballs are fine.

I like your handwriting. It has a rather idiosyncratic, dishevelled quality to it that is endearing :).

Oh and LOL at the "enabling" comment :). I am having to restrain myself from buying multiple pens that have been mentioned in this thread. I went on a quite substantial board game buying fit of retail therapy recently so I am trying to pin down my choice to one pen, one bottle of ink and one writing pad before I do so though. Perhaps I should sort out my existing fountain pen first? :/ Does anyone have any recommendation/link to how best to de-gunk a pen that has been un-used and is gunged up with cheap ink, please?

Your writing is fine. I'm inspired to try to research myself to write in script. It's been so long I have no idea how poor my first efforts will be.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yeah, European fines are about the same as Japanese mediums, and the other sizes pretty much follow that pattern.
I started with a Fine Safari too, it's a nice all-rounder and the perfect gateway back into fountain pens for someone who hadn't used one since secondary school over a decade ago.
I'm not sure how American brands compare though, all my nibs are German, Japanese or Chinese. If someone can say, it'd be nice to know.

EDIT:
By the way, I recently found this guy's site:
http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/index.htm
The page linked has a lot of good info about inks in general but even better, toward the bottom you'll find a list of brands and behind each link are tests and examples of various colours by that brand.
He hasn't tested absolutely every ink sold by each brand listed, but he's done a lot of them and it's a nice reference to have.

I always thought it went the other way with nibs - Japanese medium is like a German fine?

One can only assume that nibs made in Texas would run large, as everything is bigger in Texas.

If you think about it, most people hold, say, chalk, a fat marker, and a pen slightly differently. Different forms of calligraphy employ different pen angles or grips on the pen, so it's more like developing a new way to use a pen, alongside the way you use it everyday.

It doesn't. I like it; it has a certain quirkiness to it that suits your personality :)

Your writing is fine. I'm inspired to try to research myself to write in script. It's been so long I have no idea how poor my first efforts will be.

My eyeballs are fine.

I like your handwriting. It has a rather idiosyncratic, dishevelled quality to it that is endearing :).

Now I'm way more insulted. This is award-winning handwriting, you philistines! :p

The con-70 is quite a bit longer, if I recall correctly. Pens that fit a con-70 will fit the smaller con-50, but not the other way around. I'm pretty sure the Metro only fits a -50.

I don't know of other nibs for the Metro. The really cool Pilot nibs - the semi-flex in the Falcon, for example - are unique to each pen.

In general, if you want really weird nibs, they are restricted to expensive pens. I wanted a music nib forever, but the pens that take them are so pricey. I finally found a Noodler's Neponset, which offers a really affordable music nib. They sell out like crazy, so I ended up buying the ugliest pen I own just to try the nib. It's super fun, with crazy line variation. Makes Emerald of Chivor look damn good!

Having said that, I JUST saw a picture of a custom-ground Metropolitan. Nib Grinder can alter the nib on anything. He also sells Metros with custom nibs! I want one now!

And hey! I tried to be very price-conscious in this thread! It's not my fault that there are so many cool pens in the upper stratosphere of price!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got the pen in!
RJN5gXEl.jpg

It's going to take a bit getting used to writing with this though since sometimes ink doesn't come out while I write.
I6b3RCJl.jpg

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Got the pen in!
RJN5gXEl.jpg

It's going to take a bit getting used to writing with this though since sometimes ink doesn't come out while I write.
I6b3RCJl.jpg

Very nice! New pens write better and better as you use them and, as others have pointed out, the calligraphy nib requires a tiny bit more finesse than the medium.

Still toying with names for the "unholy fusion of pens." My latest is "Pilot Plutropolitix." CALL ME, PILOT! LET'S TALK ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

<3

Con-70 does not fit in the Metropolitan. It is a much larger converter than the Con-20 and Con-50, and will only work in Pilot's larger pens, like the Metal Falcon or Custom 74. There was a report online that it could fit in the Pilot Kakuno, but I never looked into how reliable of a fit it had.

On cheaper pens - Pilot's Metropolitan is really in a league of its own in terms of bang for your buck. $17 for a gorgeous, all-metal body, steady nib and converter? You won't find many other companies with an offering like that. The next ring of entry-level pens clock in around $30-$50, with choices like the Pilot Prera, Lamy Safari/Al-Star, and TWSBI's many offerings. The Pilot Prera has the exact same nib and feed system as the Metropolitan, so you're really paying extra for the 'demonstrator' transparent body. They're still nice writing instruments, but it's up to you to decide if the premium is worth it. On the upside, this also means you can swap nibs between the Prera, Metropolitan and Plumix if you want! Our very own InfiniteNine is swapping her Metro's nib with a Plumix nib as we speak. EDIT: She beat me to it!

Unfortunately, nibs and feeds aren't as interchangable as one might hope for. But, there's still a nice selection of beginner pens from other companies which could serve as a nice sibling pen to your Metro.

I'm not a fan of Lamy's designs, but I know both Bagels and my pal Nappuccino are fans and can speak for their quality. They do require a converter to be purchased alongside the pen, but the additional cost is fairly negligible. One benefit of the Safari/Al-Star is the tri-grip, which forces the writer to use a grip more beneficial for fountain pen writing, but this could be problematic if you'd rather use an alternative grip.

TWSBI is a brand celebrated for their willingness to take risks and challenge their competitor's price points, while being chastised for their horrible QA and build issues. I still recommend them as their pens are a great introduction to the piston filling mechanism, which draws ink up into the body of the pen, rather than relying on a converter. For busybodies who need to write a lot with little interruption, these types of pens are a huge blessing. The 580 can hold almost double the capacity of a fully saturated Con-20! TWSBI also provides users with a small tool to help them tear down the entire pen, which isn't always necessary, but is really nice when you want to perform maintenance. As mentioned before though, TWSBI pens aren't the most solidly constructed pens of the lot, though they have gotten much better with the Classic, Vac 700 and the Diamond AL series. From experience, I can say that my TWSBI Mini has gone on many adventures and taken a few unexpected beatings and still writes just as well as it did once I had the nib adjusted. But reports crop up frequently of cracked barrels and grips. Best advice I can give is to watch out for over-tightening the threaded parts, which puts a lot of pressure on the structure of the pen and may be the source of many cracks.

While I'm on the topic of questionable quality practices, there is one brand you'll see mentioned that must always come with a large 'Caveat Emptor' written in the nicest script you fancy - Jinhao. Their pens are extremely cheap, come in a large variety of bodies, colors and styles, and are often suggested to newcomers who don't want to invest too much in their first pens. Yes, they do have as many models as your heart could desire. Several Chinese manufacturers will imitate bodies from more famous pens from other countries, Jinhao included. The reason why I'm throwing this Rouge Hematite colored warning here is that these pens are as untrustworthy as a weird elf granting you the ability to turn thread into gold in exchange for your first born. There's almost no quality control for these pens, and many users have gotten them shipped to them in states that are nearly unusable without extensive fixes that a new user wouldn't know much about. My opinion is to stay away, but if you're feeling adventurous, $8 isn't so bad, I suppose?

MiszMasz

I always thought it went the other way with nibs - Japanese medium is like a German fine?

One can only assume that nibs made in Texas would run large, as everything is bigger in Texas.

Yeah, we're saying the same thing, just the opposite way round. Japanese nibs are finer compared to euros.

Is... Is this a Texan extra-fine?*
*Image not magnified.

Top Bottom