• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fountain Pens 2k16

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Bingo.
I have it filled with Emerald of Chivor. Gotta get dat dust mixed.
But thanks for the detailed answer. I was just worried if I had gotten a defect pen, but I will instead be more careful when mixing the ink in the future.

Had a feeling, Bagels gets everyone's hands stained with sparkly inks sooner or later! My technique for mixing the particles back in is to roll the pen between my hands, turned sideways, to churn the ink around. An action similar to what some washing machines or cement mixers use. Much gentler than a good shake, and always did the trick in keeping my Stormy Grey/Rogue Hematite shining bright.

Had a feeling, Bagels gets everyone's hands stained with sparkly inks sooner or later! My technique for mixing the particles back in is to roll the pen between my hands, turned sideways, to churn the ink around. An action similar to what some washing machines or cement mixers use. Much gentler than a good shake, and always did the trick in keeping my Stormy Grey/Rogue Hematite shining bright.
This is also the best way to redistribute the oils in a blend, so it is the technique I use on my pens also. I live in an extremely dry climate and have to kind of "jumpstart" my pens each time, even though I'm meticulous about capping between uses.

The Noodler's ink (the purple one) likes to clog my nib every 2-3 days, so I wipe it gently with a half damp/half dry paper towel if it is skipping, fixes it right up.

br3wnor

Been using my Pilot Metro for over a week now and really, really happy with it. It's been my daily driver at work and I've transitioned back to writing in cursive which has improved the legibility of my notes.

My questions relates to maintenance. I have the pen in my inside suit pocket most of the day and whip it out when I need to take notes. I have a notebook with me most of the day so no matter where I'm going around the office or off-site, it's being used a lot throughout the day. The main issue I'm having is ink getting on the metal tip, as seen in the picture below. (Sorry it's so large, don't know how to scale it down)

0sHOu5H.jpg

Now it doesn't affect my actual writing, nor does it drip on the page or anything like that. It's just kind of aesthetically annoying. Even when I'm able to clean it up, within a few hours the splotches are back. Is this unavoidable given how I use the pen? Is there something I can do to prevent this? Are there pens out there that specifically guard against this or is it indicative of all fountain pens if they're jostled around a lot?

Thanks for any input, otherwise could not be happier with my fountain pen experience.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Been using my Pilot Metro for over a week now and really, really happy with it. It's been my daily driver at work and I've transitioned back to writing in cursive which has improved the legibility of my notes.

My questions relates to maintenance. I have the pen in my inside suit pocket most of the day and whip it out when I need to take notes. I have a notebook with me most of the day so no matter where I'm going around the office or off-site, it's being used a lot throughout the day. The main issue I'm having is ink getting on the metal tip, as seen in the picture below. (Sorry it's so large, don't know how to scale it down)

0sHOu5H.jpg

Now it doesn't affect my actual writing, nor does it drip on the page or anything like that. It's just kind of aesthetically annoying. Even when I'm able to clean it up, within a few hours the splotches are back. Is this unavoidable given how I use the pen? Is there something I can do to prevent this? Are there pens out there that specifically guard against this or is it indicative of all fountain pens if they're jostled around a lot.

Thanks for any input, otherwise could not be happier with my fountain pen experience.

This is called 'Nib Creep', one of the more tenacious side effects of fountain pen life. Like many other aspects of fountain pen usage, nib creep will vary highly depending on the pen make and how well lubricated your ink is. It's caused by ink seeping through the slit or breather hole of the pen, and may naturally occur even if the pen is at rest for a day or two. Unfortunately, there's no real way to fight back against it. The mere act of wiping it down could draw more ink out onto the surface of the nib.

The good news is that it isn't indicative of any damage, and the ink won't harm your nib by being on the front-facing side. It's merely an aesthetic inconvenience. The only advice I have is to try different inks if it truly bothers you. I've had excellent luck with Iroshizuku inks not causing a ton of nib creep, but even then, reviewers find that some inks in the line are better at staying in the nib than others. Diamine and J. Herbin, from my experience, were more susceptible. But your experience may differ!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Oh, you dog, bagels! Curse you! I thought i was free! :(

I ADORE the finish on those Burnt Orange Al-Stars but they're £30+ now, grrrrr! So instead i'll have to buy a Charge Green one with an F nib, converter and some bottled inks. Browns and Blue-greens i fancy.

Any recommended online stores in the UK? I've been using Cult Pens and they've been great but i feel like having a look at what else is about.

My love of cats is well established. Please update your invectives accordingly.

J. Herbin Cafe de Iles is a really nice brown, if you're looking for one!

Bingo.
I have it filled with Emerald of Chivor. Gotta get dat dust mixed.
But thanks for the detailed answer. I was just worried if I had gotten a defect pen, but I will instead be more careful when mixing the ink in the future.

Not sure if it's just me but I've gotten great shimmer action without having to shake the pen at all. Maybe I just got a great fill but I've been getting consistent sheen with from my Creaper with that ink without having to do anything special.

Great advice from CheesecakeRecipe. I've been using a gently shake, nib up, cap on. I should move to an even gentler method.

I'll note here that CheesecakeRecipe is renowned for his gentle hands. So dreamy!

Ahem.

Broader nib or flex nib pens give more sparkle and sheen by virtue of being such wet writers. A gentle roll or agitation may help to keep the level more consistent

0sHOu5H.jpg

Now it doesn't affect my actual writing, nor does it drip on the page or anything like that. It's just kind of aesthetically annoying. Even when I'm able to clean it up, within a few hours the splotches are back. Is this unavoidable given how I use the pen? Is there something I can do to prevent this? Are there pens out there that specifically guard against this or is it indicative of all fountain pens if they're jostled around a lot?

Pens kept in pockets will get a bit inky, yeah. I don't know it can really be prevented, unless you learn to glide more as you walk. A few years in charm school and you'll be able to keep that pen spotless. Do that thing where you put a book on your head and walk around.

I frankly can't afford to be any more charming. The marriage proposals are already coming in hot and heavy, so I just put up with the ink on nib problem. I clean the nibs with a cloth when my pens are sitting on my desk if ti starts bothering me.

Edit: I love how CheesecakeRecipe is 10,000x more professional than I am. He writes a beautiful, detailed answer and I go straight for dumb jokes.

Haven't been writing with a fountain pen since primary school.
This thread made me buy a Lamy Safari; neon lime green, the 2015 color, with a F nib. I'm loving it, it has become my main pen at work.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My Eco leaked a bit so I ensured I tightly, tightly pushed the nib in. It's better now but yeah, you can't shake it hard.

Trying out a different italic nib on the Metro! I did not know I was getting a video of my pen before I sent my $35! It looks wonderful.
Check it out!
That's awesome! I knew some sellers would do pen testing on request (Goulet does), but giving you a custom video is some ridiculous-level service. I assume that's a nibmeister you're getting a custom from?

Are there any cheaper options for notebooks/paper? $10 a notebook seems outrageous to me when I normally pay $1-2 for a notebook. That's the only thing keeping me away from using my Pilot Varsity pens more.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
That's awesome! I knew some sellers would do pen testing on request (Goulet does), but giving you a custom video is some ridiculous-level service. I assume that's a nibmeister you're getting a custom from?

Nib Grinder!

Are there any cheaper options for notebooks/paper? $10 a notebook seems outrageous to me when I normally pay $1-2 for a notebook. That's the only thing keeping me away from using my Pilot Varsity pens more.

The cost differential is real. There's not really any getting around the fact that nice paper costs more. It's a premium product and is priced as such. One nice thing is that better paper is sourced from sustainably managed forests - there's more care all around.

If you just want a surface to write on, the giant A3 Rhodia pads are actually a good value. If you fold a sheet in half, that is a normal A4 sheet. I like having all the surface area to work with, but you can also fold them like that and make little books. It's twice the paper of the normal Rhodia pad.

You might find a cheaper brand you like, but most nice paper costs about the same. Even crappy Moleskine paper comes at a premium.

Another option is to get a pen and ink combo that works for your paper-- something with a fine or extra-fine nib and a drier ink to combat feathering and bleed-through. I hear different things on which is more important-- the pen, the ink, both?

At work, I use a Safari with an extra-fine nib and it writes well on the crappy notebooks that they have on-hand. I haven't tried any different inks with it yet, still working through some Lamy blue cartridges that I've got. I've heard good things about Noodler's Black and X-Feather but haven't tried them myself yet.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I had the kind of day where a lot of hard work coalesced and there was a big jump in the quality of my calligraphy. I don't know if I've ever been able to make that many pieces in a single day, and certainly not so many pieces of this quality. I experimented a lot with new styles, making cadels, doing things I had never attempted. It feels great.

Here are two of the pieces I made today, just writing friends' names, that I'm particularly pleased with:

I had the kind of day where a lot of hard work coalesced and there was a big jump in the quality of my calligraphy. I don't know if I've ever been able to make that many pieces in a single day, and certainly not so many pieces of this quality. I experimented a lot with new styles, making cadels, doing things I had never attempted. It feels great.

Here are two of the pieces I made today, just writing friends' names, that I'm particularly pleased with...
Those are great. Don't forget to post your calligraphy book recommendations, s'il vous plait.

The old thread convinced me to get a fountain pen and I do not regret it, normal pens feel like crap to me now. Hell my handwriting is so much better now!

I also bought a feather dip pen, which I cherish very much!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Here are two of the pieces I made today, just writing friends' names, that I'm particularly pleased with:

This is incredible! I'd love to be able to do this. Do you have any good beginner's guides?

I have a couple glass dip pens; but they're not anywhere near wide enough to get those kinds of lines. What kind of pens and inks should I be looking for?

G-Pink

Welp, bought myself a fine point Lamy Safari, a conversion kit, and a bottle of Kon-peki Pilot ink.

Bagel you made me buy my Hobonichi as well. So far I'm -120 bucks exclusively because of your influence.

But I'm so excited.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Welp, bought myself a fine point Lamy Safari, a conversion kit, and a bottle of Kon-peki Pilot ink.

Bagel you made me buy my Hobonichi as well. So far I'm -120 bucks exclusively because of your influence.

But I'm so excited.

Where is my 10% cut??? :p

Green TWSBI 580AL is out! I love green, and I have tax money set aside for a pen...

I did so much calligraphy yesterday, I tore some skin off my thumb.

First try at cadels. It's a big ol' mess, but it was so fun!
I only had two of my Parallel pens, so this is a whole lot of ink blending. You can blend from any fountain pen - you can actually blend ink between two fountain pens, if you haven't tried this. It's easiest with italic/stub nib pens just in terms of not having to line up two extra fine nibs or whatever. It's a neat little trick.

I think my floral decorations suck, but people like having their name written in a decorative style like that!

I'll get those book recommendations up soon! I just need to put together the links!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Been loving my Pilot Metropolitan (with conversion) and Parker ink.

Using it for notes in the workplace and it doesn't seem to bleed in my moleskine notebook.

fep

Acquired a Pilot Metro on Monday and I've been writing on everything with it! Mail, scrap paper, various notebooks. I used to be in quality assurance and a common interview question was 'how would you test a pen'? I didn't think I'd actually be doing it at some point.

Love the feel, love testing different paper, different pressure in my writing, different angles, etc.

Bagels, thanks for the thread refresh - I've been wanting to dip my toes in and this finally pushed me over the edge!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Acquired a Pilot Metro on Monday and I've been writing on everything with it! Mail, scrap paper, various notebooks. I used to be in quality assurance and a common interview question was 'how would you test a pen'? I didn't think I'd actually be doing it at some point.

Love the feel, love testing different paper, different pressure in my writing, different angles, etc.

Bagels, thanks for the thread refresh - I've been wanting to dip my toes in and this finally pushed me over the edge!

Glad you're enjoying it! The main message of this thread has always been that fountain pens can make writing a much more enjoyable process, and the cost to give a decent one a try is way less than you'd think.

My new Pilot Metropolitan from Nib Grinder showed up today! I am completely in love. He calls this a Smooth Cursive Italic grind. I don't write in cursive, but I can see how this nib would be absolutely perfect for it. However you write with it, it feels absolutely wonderful. It's a definite step up from a Plumix conversion. I'll get some images up soon.

They are $35 (shipping included) in the US. A Metro + Plumix is $15-20, so you are paying quite a bit more. I think the bump in writing quality is easily worth the extra money. It's a great alternative to a Safari at this price point.

Mark, the nib grinder himself, is such a nice guy. He sent the video of the pen in action before I committed to purchase and I got a nice note in the box. He'll do the custom grind with any Metropolitan style you'd like. He'll also do custom grinds on other pens, or do simple tune ups. It's a great option if you have a pen that you think could work a bit better.

Moshio

Neo Member
Great thread. I bought the Pilot Metropolitan based on the recommendation. I just got it today and notice ink seems to gather on the side of the pen after writing for a bit. Is that normal?

The other eBay pen I took a shot on was waiting for me in my mailbox: a Mabie Todd Swan. It wasn't advertised as having a flex nib (might have been how I was able to get it at a reasonable price) but I was hoping it would and it does! Super happy with it. Also, I really love Diamine's Red Dragon ink. The color just connects with me. I can't get enough.
EDIT: A cardinal in Red Dragon red and the Mabie Todd--

I finally collected all my pens together for a family picture. No pretty writing as i didn't have time, sorry.

From Top:
Kaweco Sport - Medium
Lamy Safari Neon Lime - Fine
Lamy Al-Star Charged Green - Medium
3x V-Pens
Platinum Preppy - Fine
Berol Handwriting in Red - Love this pen :)
Also there's some Diamine Eclipse, Cult Pens Deep Dark Brown and Regal cartridges and the remains of the colourful inks i bought in Staples.

Nothing special but i enjoy them :)

I'll post my bad handwriting since there's a bit of an issue. My pen started to let more ink onto the paper on some letters, leading them to be thicker.
PKBRWMP.jpg

Also pictured: true fact that causes great joy.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
My pen started to let more ink onto the paper on some letters, leading them to be thicker.
PKBRWMP.jpg

Also pictured: true fact that causes great joy.

Check to see if there's any hair, dust or debris near the tipping material of the nib. Even a single stray fiber can cause a paintbrush-effect, which isn't harmful, but it can lead to uneven ink distribution and generally sloppy looking linework. I've had this happen a few times with my Stargazer, which turned it from a Medium nib to a BB nib whenever the piece of dust made contact with the page.

If you're careful enough, you can gently pull on the obstruction to fix the uneven strokes. If it's too small to pinch, wiping the nib down with a light pinch near the tip with a paper towel usually wrenches it free. You could potentially get fibers from the paper towel stuck, so keep an eye out in case anything happens to get caught in the tines!

Check to see if there's any hair, dust or debris near the tipping material of the nib. Even a single stray fiber can cause a paintbrush-effect, which isn't harmful, but it can lead to uneven ink distribution and generally sloppy looking linework. I've had this happen a few times with my Stargazer, which turned it from a Medium nib to a BB nib whenever the piece of dust made contact with the page.

If you're careful enough, you can gently pull on the obstruction to fix the uneven strokes. If it's too small to pinch, wiping the nib down with a light pinch near the tip with a paper towel usually wrenches it free. You could potentially get fibers from the paper towel stuck, so keep an eye out in case anything happens to get caught in the tines!
Thank you very much. I didn't see any obstruction but I used a tissue and the problem seems to have gone away. :)

Loving all the Fountain Pen "porn" in here lately!

Aarglefarg (awesome name, btw), if you ever order from somewhere that has them, get something like super thin brass sheets. I used one when cleaning my pen (the Metrolixluxe) and converter after it ran out of ink a few days ago, and it is writing smoother than ever.

I take it for granted that cheap paper is going to tear up and get between my tines, and since I pretty much just doodle constantly on printer paper while watching Netflix or whatever, having a reliable way of gently removing those fibers is very nice.

MickD

So I inherited/found an older "Orange" Parker Duofold from what I have gathered it's from the 90's.

I purchased some ink refill cartridges - Quink? Ink

I'm simply trying to get the pen to work. I know nothing about it, although it looks awesome! The ink didn't work, like wouldn't come out the "nib" I think thats the part..

Do I need to buy something different? or am I SOL? I'd love to have this around to write with. Thanks in advance.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So I inherited/found an older "Orange" Parker Duofold from what I have gathered it's from the 90's.

I purchased some ink refill cartridges - Quink? Ink

I'm simply trying to get the pen to work. I know nothing about it, although it looks awesome! The ink didn't work, like wouldn't come out the "nib" I think thats the part..

Do I need to buy something different? or am I SOL? I'd love to have this around to write with. Thanks in advance.

Could be that the cartridge isn't in all the way. Most manufacturers allow the cartridge to remain snug in the body of the pen to maintain a confident grip and make sure it won't come loose in transit. Hold the pen with the nib up towards the sky, preferably over a sink, and remove the cartridge. Is it punctured open? If not, you'll have to push down a tad bit harder. I have no experience with Parker pens, but I assume you'll feel a small bit of feedback as the seal breaks like other cartridges do. It may also take a moment or two for the ink to saturate the feed after the seal gives, but you'll at least be able to get a line out to test it.

If it is punctured, the pen might be clogged and could require a bit of cleaning. For which we'd have to ask - how well was the pen maintained over the years? Was it stored with ink in it for long periods of time? How frequently did the previous owner service/clean it? But, we'll figure all that out later, assuming we'd even need to worry about it.

Erheller

Loving all the Fountain Pen "porn" in here lately!

Aarglefarg (awesome name, btw), if you ever order from somewhere that has them, get something like super thin brass sheets. I used one when cleaning my pen (the Metrolixluxe) and converter after it ran out of ink a few days ago, and it is writing smoother than ever.

I take it for granted that cheap paper is going to tear up and get between my tines, and since I pretty much just doodle constantly on printer paper while watching Netflix or whatever, having a reliable way of gently removing those fibers is very nice.

Can you send a link to a site that has these brass sheets? They sound really helpful.

Can you send a link to a site that has these brass sheets? They sound really helpful.

In the USA, I got mine from Goulet Pens: http://www.gouletpens.com/goulet-brass-sheets/p/GPC-BrassSheets

They have a ton of pen tuning & cleaning supplies. The shipping is kinda pricey, so I'd suggest adding them into an order that's not going to exceed USPS flat rate box.

Oh, yeah, and they do tutorial videos. And offer an amazing selection of try-before-you-buy ink samples.

I bought a Pilot Metropolitan recently and have been using it to try and improve my handwriting, which is absolutely atrocious. Coupled with slowing down, it's improved it from 'wtf is that' to 'legible'!

I bought a Pilot Metropolitan recently and have been using it to try and improve my handwriting, which is absolutely atrocious. Coupled with slowing down, it's improved it from 'wtf is that' to 'legible'!

Nice :).

Over many years I have got almost completely out of the habit of using cursive with my handwriting. My recent pen purchase is not too happy about that however and is insisting that I get back to it. I foresee lots of cursive handwriting practice sessions in my near future. A rather odd thing to be doing many decades after I last did them but necessary nonetheless. I am even hankering to learn calligraphy too after finding some old books on calligraphy here. In fact I have just been reading the fine page on JetPens on 'Calligraphy Pen Basics' which has me drooling. It is pen porn I tell you! Bagels, I hold you entirely responsible! :mad:

Over many years I have got almost completely out of the habit of using cursive with my handwriting. My recent pen purchase is not too happy about that however and is insisting that I get back to it...
I'm in the same boat and have been dragging myself back into using it over the past month or so. I was surprised at both how much came back to me and at some of the letterforms I had completely forgotten.

I don't generally need to take a lot of notes at work but I've brought in my Lamy Safari and started jotting stuff down just to give myself something to practice. The EF nib on the Lamy paired with Noodler's Black ink fares really well on the cheap Staples paper pads that my office stocks-- no bleeding, maybe the tiniest bit of feathering but much better than my medium Pilot Metro and much better than the Safari with the Lamy blue ink that I had been using.

toff74

So, I've been getting a little carried away with this fountain pen malarkey.

The last 2 weeks I've accumulated way too much and need to offload some of my freshly imported, brand new unopened and still boxed pens.

If you are in the UK and interested in:

Sailor Professional Gear, black with silver trim, medium nib £90

Or

Pilot Heritage 92 demonstrator with a medium nib.£70

£150 for both

PM me.

I love this new hobby but it's got a little out if hand!

injurai

Banned
I bought a Lamy Safari Fine. Figured it's a good starter pen that isn't dirt cheap.

I meant to buy Extra Fine and was disappointed with the Fine nib. Though I have found I press less hard now than when I first tried it, so the line isn't as thick. Now I write with it like it's any old ink pen rather than "emulating" any sort of calligraphic script writing. Which helps keep the width down. Still I'm thinking about picking up an EF. I just can't do math with it since the lines are so fat. Right now I'm using the packed in cartridge but I have a converter in the mail with Noodler's Borealis Black.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I bought a Lamy Safari Fine. Figured it's a good starter pen that isn't dirt cheap.

I meant to buy Extra Fine and was disappointed with the Fine nib. Though I have found I press less hard now than when I first tried it, so the line isn't as thick. Now I write with it like it's any old ink pen rather than "emulating" any sort of calligraphic script writing. Which helps keep the width down. Still I'm thinking about picking up an EF. I just can't do math with it since the lines are so fat. Right now I'm using the packed in cartridge but I have a converter in the mail with Noodler's Borealis Black.

Line widths vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even tend to see slight differences between pens produced by the same company! As a general rule, any JP nib tends to be thinner than the Euro/US measurement under the same designation. So, a Pilot Fine is closer to a Lamy Extra Fine. Some companies like TWSBI buy nibs from another company, so even though the pens originate from Taiwan, the nibs are of German make - thus, they adhere to the EU standardized sizes. Ink saturation level and cheap quality paper will also cause lines to fill out and thicken. My Pilot E95S in Fine writes closer to a Medium on shoddy paper.

The Goulet Nib Nook is a great, though not exhaustively comprehensive, tool you can use to get a good look at nib width variations. It will give you an idea of how much thinner the line will be, and should assist in helping you come to a decision on if ordering the EF nib will be worth it for you!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
"Love" with L cadel.

Calligraphy - the art of "beautiful (Greek - kallos) writing ( Greek - graphein - 'write')

I'm decidedly an amateur calligrapher, but what I lack in skill, I make up for in enthusiasm. I'm almost entirely self-taught, so anything I say should be viewed with that in mind.

Calligraphy is actually kind of hot right now. Modern calligraphers like (the unbelievably good) Seb Lester have achieved a fair degree of fame thanks to instagram, tumblr, twitter, and similar places where they can share their work. Videos and gifs of calligraphy are especially popular, and especially entrancing.

I have little background in the visual arts - my training is almost all as a scientist. I picked up calligraphy when I was 32, after being gifted a Pilot Parallel Pen by a member of this very forum in a Secret Santa thingy. I quickly fell completely in love with the art form. It's a very contemplative, mindful pursuit. I find it super relaxing and incredibly useful for calming down my overactive inner monologue. If you think, talk, and/or write fast, calligraphy is a good way to train yourself to slow down a bit. This is my third year practicing calligraphy as a hobby and I can absolutely see how much I have improved with daily practice. I still have a long way to go, but I can see that I keep getting better. My skill jumped pretty dramatically in the past month and it feel so dang good!

For the beginning artist, calligraphy is an attractive form as, at the end of the day, things either look like letters or they don't (of course, some forms are designed for style over legibility, but you know what I mean). If I'm trying to write an elegant G, I can tell right away if it looks right or not. I'm not sure a landscape painting is quite that easy to evaluate. The basic elements of calligraphy - proportions, angles, and curves - are the basic geometric tools of any visual art form, so it's a good place to hone your basic skills. The simplest scripts are actually incredibly difficult to do well. With elaborate forms, versals, or cadels, like I showed up above, poor individual elements can be covered up. Beautiful Italic letters are composed of maybe three or four strokes, so each one has to be perfect. It's deceptively hard to master.

The fountain pen enthusiast will find a lot to love with calligraphy tools that can use their beautiful fountain pen inks. The pens I use are around $10 each, and I have the inks and paper already, so the basic investment to get started is low. If you need paper, Rhodia dotpads provide nice guidance and the paper is great even with the super wet 6.0mm Parallel Pen.

Here are a few of the tools and books I'd recommend as, again, an enthusiastic amateur interested in self study:

67893.jpg

I use Pilot Parallel Pens almost exclusively. The pros often use dip pens (although I have never met a calligrapher who did not carry Parallel Pens around. Pros love them too), but they are fussier to use and cannot just be tossed into a bag, filled with ink, to be carried around to impress chicks at Starbucks. I recommend any fountain pen lover try a Parallel Pen, just for funsies.

There are four basic sizes, and a few companies sell another 4 made by altering the basic models. The red cap (1.5mm) is small enough to be used as a basic pen. the largest, blue cap, model (6.0mm) is like writing with a chisel. I recommend the orange cap (2.4mm) to start. It's the easiest to use and gives great variation in the thick and thin directions. The green cap (3.8mm) has become my go-to pen, but is a bit harder to use. The blue cap model is super fun, but is by far the hardest to master. The red cap is also hard to use to full effect.

You can find Parallel Pens at all the usual places. Massdrop sells four sets pretty often (they are almost always in the bazaar, when that is up) for about $25. Individually, they are usually around $12. They take Pilot Mixable Colours inks, or pilot converters. You can also use an O-ring and convert them into ink dropper pens (you fill the entire body with ink).

I really recommend picking up two pens so you can do this cool color-blending technique:

This was all written with one pen, filled with Diamine Blaze Orange ink. The different colors are all the result of color blending.

Note that you can blend ink from a fountain pen into a Parallel Pen, too.

I should note that Parallel Pens are used for BROAD NIB calligraphy (Blackletter, Roman Square Capitals, Italic, etc). I don't practice any pointed nib forms (Copperplate, Spencerian), so look elsewhere for advice there.

My favorite calligraphy book is this one:

(Amazon link)

Mark Drogin gives a funny, readable overview of the history of Western calligraphy and then provides guides to reproducing the styles he discusses. There are some nice plates showing actual historical examples.

Here's my favorite basic calligraphy guidebook:

(Amazon link)

It covers many different styles, including some pointed nib forms, and even discusses topics like cadels.

Margaret Shepherd's books (Learn Calligraphy, and then a slimmer volume based on a subset of Learn Calligraphy) are easy to find in bookstores. They are pretty good. She strikes me as a bit stuffy and boring, though. The Calligrapher's Bible is also easy to find and I think it's a better book.

You can often find calligraphy kits, with a book, some shitty pens, and some paper. Avoid them. Get a Parallel Pen and Mark Drogin's book or The Calligrapher's Bible instead. The components of the kits are all trash. You'll hate practicing calligraphy if your pens and paper are shit.

I have a zillion books, covering specific topics like flourishing, general guides, books about historic illuminated manuscripts, and collections of scripts. I linked just the two books I would pick up if I were just starting, but I'm happy to list more if anyone is interested. I also have a link to scans of several fantastic, sadly out of print books. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you own the books but don't have them with you), the account also has scans of The Calligrapher's Bible and a few other books that are very much in print, so I'm not comfortable linking it. Please buy a book if you want to use one! After that, if you are interested in the out of print stuff, message me.

If you have any calligraphy questions, feel free to ask! I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

I have carried the same fountain pen on my person every day for the past 17 years... A Lamy 2000 extra fine.

My biggest old man yelling at clouds stupid unreasonable complaint in life is the lack of physical writing as technology has advanced.

Great topic!

How did you blend colors with only one pen? I thought you needed two to move ink from one to the other? Or did you jerry-rig a one pen solution?

How did you blend colors with only one pen? I thought you needed two to move ink from one to the other? Or did you jerry-rig a one pen solution?
I think what Bagels was saying is that he used other fountain and parallel pens to load other ink colors into the orange pen, and then wrote all of that after the colors were loaded. Rachel Goulet has a good YouTube video on using parallels and she shows how to do 2-color blending.

The calligraphy post is amazing! I'm going to try it! :) (though not until I have birthday money)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I think what Bagels was saying is that he used other fountain and parallel pens to load other ink colors into the orange pen, and then wrote all of that after the colors were loaded. Rachel Goulet has a good YouTube video on using parallels and she shows how to do 2-color blending.

The calligraphy post is amazing! I'm going to try it! :) (though not until I have birthday money)

Yup yup! That's what I meant - the actual writing was all done with the same pen. I used other Parallel Pens and fountain pens to load ink into it for the color blending. Sorry if that was not clear!

I mean the only reason I bought a fountain pen is because I needed them for an art class. It's pretty cool. It's like water colors but more accurate. Still there's no practical reason to use one on a daily basis compared to the god-tier that is the ball point.

I mean the only reason I bought a fountain pen is because I needed them for an art class. It's pretty cool. It's like water colors but more accurate. Still there's no practical reason to use one on a daily basis compared to the god-tier that is the ball point.

But... But... I got nothing.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

That is some dry satire, friend!

Top Bottom