• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foxhole |OT| (Early Access/Top-down Persistent Multiplayer War/Base Building)

DrBo42

dbafb3_387767d17d6e40f492c887eb132c4941~mv2.png

Didn't see a thread and thought some people would really enjoy this. Been playing this the past few days and think it's pretty brilliant. Great coop experience with 120 player servers and persistent conflicts with base building and logistics making up the heart of your army. Or at least a successful one. Reminds me of Helldivers but a bit more crushing.

Title: Foxhole
Genre: Action, Indie, Massively Multiplayer, RPG, Strategy, Early Access
Developer: Clapfoot
Publisher: Clapfoot
Release Date: Jul 27, 2017

Foxhole is a massively multiplayer game where you will work with hundreds of players to shape the outcome of a persistent online war. Players ARE the content in this sandbox war game. Every individual soldier is a player that contributes to the war effort through logistics, base building, reconnaissance, combat, and more.

Player Directed Warfare - Every soldier is controlled by a player. Players ARE the content

- Sandbox warfare, where players determine the narrative of a long term war
- Players drive every element of war, from weapon manufacturing and base building to strategy and combat.
- Emergent strategies and tactics make every part the war feel unique
- Your presence stays active in the world even after you've gone offline

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Foxhole Basics

Basic strategy

Tank patrol

WIKI

Foxhole FAQ said:
What is Foxhole all about?
​
Foxhole's goal is to make players truly feel like they are working together to direct the outcome of an open ended war. Some games have attempted to pull this off in the past, but many of the have been hindered by gameplay affecting microtransactions or mechanics that hold the player's hands too much, resulting in wars that feel artificial instead of truly organic and player driven. Our mission is to be uncompromising in delivering this experience.

Our dream is to have hundreds of players working in unison to complete large scale operations that takes weeks to plan. We want players to be setting up supply lines, executing missions behind enemy lines, and banding together to defend key strategic locations throughout the world. These ideas are extremely ambitious, but we are confident that we can achieve them if we work together with the player community over the long term.
​
When will the full game be released?
​
Already live!

Will the game be free to play or paid?
​
Currently $19.99 on Steam
​
Will the game be pay to win?

We'd rather shut down the project than introduce any form of pay to win mechanics.
​
Is the game really going to have a single shard universe?
​
This is the long term goal for us. In the meantime, we may have to settle with multiple "universes" if our technology isn't ready to support having all players in the same shard. So it depends on how many people are playing the game, and the state of our networking technology.
​
How many players will be supported in the full game?
​
Our goal is to support as many simultaneous players as we can and we believe that we can reach several hundred with our current technology. Eventually, our dream is to support way more this (in Foxhole or a future project), but we're aren't focusing too much on this problem until we have the player population to justify it.

Current max is 120 players.
​
What platforms will be supported?
​
We are focusing first on Windows PC. In the further future we may consider other platforms like Mac, Linux, and consoles.
​
World & Theme

​
Does the game take place in WWI or WW2?
​
Neither. While the game is inspired by early 20th century weapons and tactics, the game actually takes place in an alternate timeline futures. We'll have more to say about the setting in the future.
​
To be clear, our goal is not to make a WW1/WW2 simulator, but rather to make the player feel like they are fighting a war where the combat and strategies are grounded in the world wars.
​
Who are the Wardens and Colonials? Do they represent the Allies or Axis from WW2?
​
The Wardens and Colonials are fictional factions from the alternate timeline universe that Foxhole takes place in. They are not representative of any nation/group from real history and neither faction serves as the "good guys" or "bad guys" in the world.

Currently $19.99 on Steam

I've been wondering where the thread is for this for days!

I think this is one of the most unique games of the year. It's almost like an RTS except every unit is a player.

DrBo42

i'm actually in the alpha, but pretty sure this is free though? since when did they charge this?

There was a demo in the store before their "launch" last week. Been charging since then.

I've been wondering where the thread is for this for days!

I think this is one of the most unique games of the year. It's almost like an RTS except every unit is a player.

Yeah I've been really digging it. Haven't played anything quite like it. Was wondering where the thread was too, decided to just throw one together.

DrBo42

I'm always wary of MMO early access titles, but the concept sounds good. Keeping an eye on this.

For sure. The real test is how they update things with new weapons, vehicles and features and keep it balanced. Although since it's not a direct Allies vs Axis WWII game or anything like that they don't have to worry about that aspect of specialized equipment per side. Everyone can use everything, they just look a little different depending on the faction. I'm hopeful.

The Shift

Banned
As an ex Eve Online player this looks very cool. Is it a 24/7 commitment though? Having a child made Eve impossible for me because of time sink - I probably get about 8 hours a week these days if I'm lucky.

Anyway I really like the premise here and will be keeping an eye on it. Cheers for the heads up OP.

DrBo42

As an ex Eve Online player this looks very cool. Is it a 24/7 commitment though? Having a child made Eve impossible for me because of time sink - I probably get about 8 hours a week these days if I'm lucky.

Anyway I really like the premise here and will be keeping an eye on it. Cheers for the heads up OP.

From what I can tell, these are multi-day campaigns so it's not something you can be around for at all times. Join a side with a clan or a group of buddies and then check back every once in a while to help out. I've lost many hours to this in a very short time though.

DrBo42

Looks really interesting. Too bad I missed the "Demo" have to watch some gameplay and decide if I can fit it in with my massive backlog.
Not a game super sensitive to your time. Nor will you and a friend change the tide of battle. But a squad can have a pretty decent impact. On one map we got a squad together at night (night reduces vision considerably) and picked out the sole bridge leading to the enemy town the main force is assaulting. We snuck around the town past foxholes and defenses and took the bridge, destroying any supply trucks inbound. Eventually being attacked from the supply route and the town. We held that bridge with 5 people for an hour. It took so much damage that it eventually collapsed and then it was a fight to kill the engineers on the other side trying to restore the route. Pretty awesome stories can come from this.

DrBo42

Clearly we need more GIFS
Always need more gifs. I'll try and take some more clips from when I play tonight. Past two nights I've logged on to losing battles where the team gives up and griefs by opening the gates with an enemy tank/force is outside it just to end it. They need to address that somehow. Maybe a surrender option. But it's mostly just kids and COWARDS saying "Come on I want to play a new round" Honestly if I see people opening the gates for an enemy I shoot the traitor on sight. If you're actually playing with a community I imagine you'll have a much better time.

Maddrical

Hows the lag? Saw this on Steam last night and nearly bought it but a few times now I've bought an online game that isn't from a big publisher & I get shafted due to lag given I live in Australia. Though I suppose now I could just buy it, test it and if it's too laggy request a refund.

Got this game for me and two friends and we've been having a blast. Very confusing at first, but it delivers some really incredible moments. Seeing how a front line gets changed over time (days even) is pretty cool.

This was my first time playing the game and being on the front lines. It can get pretty fucking crazy, I had no idea of what was going on but the community seems pretty cool and if you ask, someone will give you a short briefing if you just got to a combat zone.

Being stuck in a building with a tank and a light armored vehicle outside. Good times. Can't see shit at night with a snow storm.

Compsiox

Banned
I feel like you a single person can't make much of an impact aside from bringing some supplies that are desperately needed.

I wish a single person could accomplish a little more or at least be praised for the logistic side of things.

Im aware of commending but few people do it in my experience.

DrBo42

I feel like you a single person can't make much of an impact aside from bringing some supplies that are desperately needed.

I wish a single person could accomplish a little more or at least be praised for the logistic side of things.

Logi being commended is more common with higher ranks being in game since they're the experienced players and know how important the role is. If you're talking in chat and delivering supplies with a chat message you usually get a commendation. Single contribution isn't too much in combat which honestly is pretty refreshing. I like that teamwork is so important.

That's like the whole point though.

Was playing a bit last night, I love the concept.

Is there a way to demolish/tear down your own structures? I feel like some areas are just foxhole after foxhole.

DrBo42

I don't know how Colonials are ever successful. Any time I play a campaign there's 2 clans on the other team and we just have randoms. Always a loss.

24hr

On the verge of buying this, I just don't know if it has enough content to keep me playing for now. May wait a little and see what the developers do with this.

DrBo42

On the verge of buying this, I just don't know if it has enough content to keep me playing for now. May wait a little and see what the developers do with this.

The content is the war and moments during it. I'd say watch some streams for anyone on the fence.

24hr

The content is the war and moments during it. I'd say watch some streams for anyone on the fence.

But is that going to keep me coming back each day? I am not sure at the moment. I am not sure what I wish was implemented really.

DrBo42

But is that going to keep me coming back each day? I am not sure at the moment. I am not sure what I wish was implemented really.

What are you hoping it is?

It's very much a "complete this objective" repeated process across multiple maps, sessions or even days in the campaign. The objective might be a large scale "Hold X town" while you're taking artillery fire and people are screaming in voice chat around you for a medic. Or maybe the enemy researched their way to a tank first and it's obliterating your line and your only job is to delay its effort until engineers can make AT guns.

Maybe you're on a night raid finding a gap in defenses and trying to hit the enemy's supply route or even steal their vital sulfur resources needed for explosives.

Maybe you and a friend have gathered enough material and resources to build a howitzer and now you're spotting where the enemy FOB is via binoculars, feeding azimuth and range back to him and watching where rounds land until you've nailed it. Which in turn removes their spawn point for that town and drastically pushes the situation in your favor.

The game is like that every day where it's still the same mechanics but there's some large variation in what you might do or accomplish. At least in my experience.

Okay I tend to not like top down games but i love ww2 games and this looks like the ww2 mmo I always wish existed. So damn tempted.

DrBo42

I feel bad for not making a thread when this was a demo on Steam, thought someone else must have done it. It's a unique combination of elements that makes you understandably hesitant to jump in, especially with early access. Probably my favorite game I've played this year though.

Pinktaco

I played it and got my money back. I may check back on it when its released.
It's alpha version now and feels somewhat.. primitive?

I think it can be great fun with friends. I'd hate to play it alone, but it's definitely doable, so that's just me.

The game is set up so everything has to work like a well oiled machine. You need people to gather resources, craft weapons/ammunition, bring them to the front line. When I played we had rifles but no ammunition :D

What really bothered me was the general lack of information in the game. The game controls like you'd expect (controls kinda like a FPS), but it still felt very early with a lack of lot of QoL features.

But again, it's in alpha, so I'm sure they can get things done before release :)

DrBo42

I played it and got my money back. I may check back on it when its released.
It's alpha version now and feels somewhat.. primitive?

I think it can be great fun with friends. I'd hate to play it alone, but it's definitely doable, so that's just me.

The game is set up so everything has to work like a well oiled machine. You need people to gather resources, craft weapons/ammunition, bring them to the front line. When I played we had rifles but no ammunition :D

What really bothered me was the general lack of information in the game. The game controls like you'd expect (controls kinda like a FPS), but it still felt very early with a lack of lot of QoL features.

But again, it's in alpha, so I'm sure they can get things done before release :)

Completely disagree. Hellion is primitive. Elite Dangerous in alpha was primitive. This is far more complete feeling than any early access I've played. QoL can be addressed as well as presentation of information but content and gameplay loop is rock solid.

I just picked this up, do we have a Discord server? GAF group we can start for this?

Everything about this reminds me of a simpler Arma II/III tactical community kind of play. Arma II days are easily some of my best memories playing games.

I was just about to buy this and thought I'd first check or an OT. It looks like the something different I've been looking for. I'm looking forward to playing it.

DrBo42

I just picked this up, do we have a Discord server? GAF group we can start for this?

Everything about this reminds me of a simpler Arma II/III tactical community kind of play. Arma II days are easily some of my best memories playing games.
There's a discord link when you play but I'm not sure if it's just 1 massive server or one for every server. As for creating a group or server I haven't looked into it. Gaf guilds don't tend to last.

There's a discord link when you play but I'm not sure if it's just 1 massive server or one for every server. As for creating a group or server I haven't looked into it. Gaf guilds don't tend to last.

We'll I'd like to try to play with some people, maybe get a group together. Seems like its way more fun in a group.

Compsiox

Banned
I was just about to buy this and thought I'd first check or an OT. It looks like the something different I've been looking for. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Its pretty slow to start out in a server but once you get involved its nice and relaxing (as a supplier anyway).

Top Bottom