• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foxhole |OT| (Early Access/Top-down Persistent Multiplayer War/Base Building)

Sorry to lead you astray with everything but I ended up returning it. I can tell after playing logistics and a little infantry gruntwork (Where some of my strategies and plans really paid off, which was exilerating) that it's definitely a game for me at some point. However in its current state I couldn't get any of my buddies on board. I think this is absolutely a game, much like Arma, where I need to find a clan/guild/group that's is fairly committed/regular and would play frequently. The game is a blast, but I think I'll have to wait a little, maybe work through a little of my backlog of other games (I keep playing TW Warhammer though XD, so I never get through any of my backlog lol).

DrBo42

Sorry to lead you astray with everything but I ended up returning it. I can tell after playing logistics and a little infantry gruntwork (Where some of my strategies and plans really paid off, which was exilerating) that it's definitely a game for me at some point. However in its current state I couldn't get any of my buddies on board. I think this is absolutely a game, much like Arma, where I need to find a clan/guild/group that's is fairly committed/regular and would play frequently. The game is a blast, but I think I'll have to wait a little, maybe work through a little of my backlog of other games (I keep playing TW Warhammer though XD, so I never get through any of my backlog lol).

All good. It's definitely a game that's better with a group of friends or a unit.

The game is pretty dope. I advise to find a clan and learn from them. It way funnier to play with large group.

I joined 82dk i'm pretty happy with them. However i strongly discourage joining 501st, the admin is openly racist and you have some serbs nationalists mods for some reason.

I hope the game become something big and we eventually see a GAF clan.

Samus4145

I really want to play this, but every time I do, there is only one server for the campaign and it is full. At this rate, I'll probably return before I can even help out on the campaign.

Really loving this game so far with only a few hours put in. Have been teaching myself as I go. Already made some hilarious mistakes (Such as accidentally going into the enemy teams discord and giving my coordinates because I was unsure as to where to go.)

Have mainly been playing solo working almost completely in logistics. I love games that allow you to do this kind of work and have it actually matter in keeping the front alive.

I think for an alpha, it is surprisingly well developed and I look forward to seeing what more is to come.

Only concern is the community, which will make or break this game. At the moment I have seen quite a few trolls (Mainly in the able servers). There are plenty of ways to sabotage your team and hinder the experience. Trolls get punished fairly quickly on the bright side.

On the other hand, I've played some games with experienced teams willing to work together, and it is exhilarating to work as part of a machine.

I agree, everything rely on the goodwill of the players. Hopefully, they find a way to ban troll effectively.

For an alpha, i'll say it's surprisingly balanced and stable. I think all the foundations are well-established.

It's a time sink though so be carefull.

Mik2121

Bought this game and played for about an hour. Quite fun game, though not having a mic makes it quite hard (so from my next game on I'll put my mic).

Even in Alpha, this is shaping up to be my favourite game of the year. It is surprisingly devoid of bugs (Though I have had a few.)

I've played only in logistics and intend to stay that way.

Have also learnt that the Wardens are crybabies and will quit if the going gets tough. ;)

DrBo42

Even in Alpha, this is shaping up to be my favourite game of the year. It is surprisingly devoid of bugs (Though I have had a few.)

Have also learnt that the Wardens are crybabies and will quit if the going gets tough. ;)

I think that's both sides. If it gets down to 1 or 2 towns remaining people just give up.

Mik2121

Wardens... yeah. I played on Warden team earlier and we were fighting for days. Then yesterday shit got ugly and we ended up 39 vs 5... another te guys and me tried to hold up for a bit building some defenses by Dearg's Fangs (Endless Shore is the name of the map I believe) but it was impossible. And to think that at Light's End we had like 15 tanks and who knows how many more vehicles... :(

Personally I'm liking the game (have played way too many hours already), but organizing logistics can be a nightmare sometimes :p

DrBo42

Wardens... yeah. I played on Warden team earlier and we were fighting for days. Then yesterday shit got ugly and we ended up 39 vs 5... another te guys and me tried to hold up for a bit building some defenses by Dearg's Fangs (Endless Shore is the name of the map I believe) but it was impossible. And to think that at Light's End we had like 15 tanks and who knows how many more vehicles... :(

Personally I'm liking the game (have played way too many hours already), but organizing logistics can be a nightmare sometimes :p

They're so vital though. Can't say it enough, logistics wins or loses games.

DrBo42

Dev blog from this week (Sorry it's late)

Amphibious Warfare Update

If you were around before Foxhole launched into Early Access, then you know that amphibious warfare is coming in the form the of the Landing APC and Farranac Coast (a water based map). We initially planned to release this content with the first update after launch, but with the altered schedule amphibious warfare will be postponed by a few more weeks. There is a silver lining in all of this though. We will be adding one more piece of unannounced content to this update so stay tuned for more news on this!

dbafb3_086be9354fce4c4581dc7d1d2f856567~mv2.webp

Bayonet

Players have been asking for Bayonets since the pre-alpha and we've finally gotten around to implementing them. When we implemented support for accessory items and fire modes for the Rifle Grenade Launcher a short while back, we knew that the Bayonet was going to happen soon since it also utilizes these features.

The Bayonet is a bladed accessory that attaches to the muzzle of a Rifle or Carbine and is used to perform a long range melee attack. It will be relatively cheap to produce and will be useful when ammo is scarce or in close quarters. It will instantly kill any player, unlike the default melee attack where damage scales with the attackers health. We will also be balancing the default melee attack so it generally does less damage, making the Bayonet a far better option.

dbafb3_772f0185319a4b6c88a968e91f661d97~mv2.gif

dbafb3_9aa899277db2408aa0733bd3070468f3~mv2.webp

Faction Specific Half-Track Concepts

In the coming months, we hope to provide more faction specific designs for vehicles. The first vehicle being looked at is the Half-Track, which we've been dying to redo for awhile since the existing version strays very far from our current established design principles. Moving forward we hope to provide unique faction designs for most vehicles in the game.

dbafb3_73f26748cfcf4030bd5a729f2356638d~mv2.webp

dbafb3_c779fc52fe3c482f9766d8e8efd84f94~mv2.webp

140 Player Servers

For a very long time now, players have been asking for increased player capacity. We're finally taking some small step towards larger servers, with 140 player support. We will be rolling this out in the next update on Campaign and other select servers. We're excited to see what kind of battles these expanded servers will bring.

Mik2121

They're so vital though. Can't say it enough, logistics wins or loses games.
Yep. I play only logistics, mainly managing vehicles and whatnot.

I just updated and I see a few 140 players servers now. I will join the Artillery server since it has a map I have yet to play. Yay!

Edit: Eugh, hate the snow dark maps. I like Endless Shore so much... :(
I will jump to another server.

Yep. I play only logistics, mainly managing vehicles and whatnot..

I'm the same, only learning logistics and have noticed a lot of the same names doing the same thing.

Would there be any chance a logistics squad could be organised? Communicate so people aren't doing each others orders, ensuring roles are filled etc.

Mik2121

I'm the same, only learning logistics and have noticed a lot of the same names doing the same thing.

Would there be any chance a logistics squad could be organised? Communicate so people aren't doing each others orders, ensuring roles are filled etc.

When I play I usually start by asking in the chat for whoever is managing Logistics, then get invited to their squad and work from there. I was briefly playing in a server where it was a hot mess with a bunch of racist idiots, logistics fucked beyond belief and everybody just doing their own thing. But the first few days I was playing, it was quite impressive how well managed it was.

When I play I usually start by asking in the chat for whoever is managing Logistics, then get invited to their squad and work from there. I was briefly playing in a server where it was a hot mess with a bunch of racist idiots, logistics fucked beyond belief and everybody just doing their own thing. But the first few days I was playing, it was quite impressive how well managed it was.

Absolutely. The game is at it's best when your side is a well organised machine, everyone doing their job and communicating.

Thankfully, I find I'm more likely to see teamwork as opposed to trolls (so far.)

I have only had one person attempt to steal my truck, and upon calling him out, he was very quickly reprimanded.

DrBo42

Game got really dark tonight. Wardens were pushed to their final town, we started convincing them to surrender. Eventually constructed a makeshift prison. Apparently one wasn't properly searched and drew a pistol. The entire lot of them were put down.

StarkFist

I'm having a blast with this game. Joined up with an experienced engineer and ran materials and men to the front he was coordinating for a few hours. It's really satisfying to watch your work play out.

DrBo42

Foxhole 0.3 Release Notes

Anti-tank mines!

dbafb3_04e207460dfe47a3a4ef852b27752739~mv2.webp

Slow wounds!

dbafb3_94c85aee639b4a68bcaf464ee52ee971~mv2.gif

With our current focus on non-combat features for Foxhole, we're going to be adding an ability called Slow Wounds that will allow players to aid critically wounded friendlies and keep them alive for a couple of more moments in battle, hopefully long enough for a medic to arrive. The ability is stackable, meaning that mulitple players can apply pressure to the wounds of a downed player, keeping that player alive for even longer.

New Content
New Item: Anti-Tank Mines
A pressure sensitive mine that will detonate under heavy vehicles like Tanks and Half-Tracks. Visible on foot
Mines can be dismantled with wrenches
New Ability: Slow Wounds
Aid critically wounded friendlies and keep them alive for a couple of more moments in battle (Ability is stackable)
Hold Left Mouse button when facing a critically wounded player to apply Slow Wounds effect

Gameplay Features & Changes
Raw resources (Scrap, Component, and Sulfur) can no longer be refined if quantity is less than 5

Other Changes
Server browser layout improvements
See Colonial & Warden victory record on each server
See Total enlistments on each server
Voice Chat Volume setting added
Language is now autoselected based on Windows region
Added Russia to server region filter
Spectator mode added for community servers (Experimental)

Major Bug Fixes
Rare server crash fixed
Players can no longer walk through/underneath water in certain parts of Deadlands

On the horizon:

Landing APC

Amphibious Warfare update coming September 14th.

Top Bottom