• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FPS View, Invert vs Default

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Most games i've played give you an option, however i've not really been trained in one way or another.

I once read that some games don't give you a choice, what is the default in those instances? I figured i'd get used to the default option for games that don't let you choose.

In the case that the default is not always the same (IE, some games default to Invert and don't let you change, some games default to normal and don't let you change), disregard this question :)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm not hardwired either way cause i've not been an avid FPS fan

Any games don't give an option?

SyNapSe

I used to be a total Invert person, but somehow, and I can't explain how.... I've become used to Default controls.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Default for PC invert for consoles. It feels completely natural to me.

EDIT: Anyone who plays otherwise is a dirty communist and is secretely having sex with hamsters.

raYne

Culex said:
I can't play unless the controls are inverted. I've been hardwired that way :(
Ditto.

I have no idea how people play non-inverted. Down was always back and back (on a stick) is always up so down = up. It's more complicated than it needs to be, yet still simple logic.

I'm pretty sure that it's the 11th Commandment, written in bold on the back of the tablets.

Ristamar

TekunoRobby said:
Default for PC invert for consoles. It feels completely natural to me.

EDIT: Anyone who plays otherwise is a dirty communist and is secretely having sex with hamsters.

*eyes his own preferences*

whew.... *wipes brow*

For PC I invert... I used to invert by default on console games, but recently I've found that I have a much easier time if I leave that on standard. It just seems easier to aim properly.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
If it's invert only...I won't play it. Don't even understand the option, but I'm glad it's there for those who swear by it.

Teddman

It's simple really:

Invert on consoles, because the analog stick is like a flightstick in practice.

Default on PC's, because you're using a mouse. You want your crosshairs/viewpoint to move wherever the mouse pointer does.

Stryder

Inverted, on both PC and console.

I love a game where if you switch the sticks/mouse settings to 'inverted' it will actually make it so that if you push the mouse up, it will make you look up, that's what standard should be. :p

Tenguman

Inverted on a mouse feels backasswards to me. In windows, I move my mouse up and to the left when I click on an icon in the top-left corner. I don't move down and to the right. It's just natural for a cross hair to do the same...at least for me

Though, for consoles I like inverted since it's a stick and not a mouse.

Zaptruder

Banned
if you keep your arms and neck locked... looking up will cause you to pull the mouse down, while looking down will cause you to push up.

That said, I've been playing FFXI with a joypad for so long... and no other game... that when I played the Doom3 beta, I was suprised to find that default controls seemed quite natural.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People who don't invert are evil wierd freaks of nature, they should be dragged into the street and beaten with a joystick.

Alcibiades

Although I haven't played much FPS since GoldenEye days, I have trouble adjusting to regular when trying out Medal of Honor or Halo at friends places, so I have to change the controls to inverted and then I do much better...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I grew up playing games like Tie Fighter with a mouse, so a pox on those who think it's supposed to be "default" just because it's a mouse. ;)

Oh, and in case you haven't guessed... inverted.

Blackie

SyNapSe said:
I used to be a total Invert person, but somehow, and I can't explain how.... I've become used to Default controls.

Yep, this is how I am too. I used to swear by invert, but somewhere around the time I started playing UT and Red Faction I gradually became more and more default. By the time I beat Halo playing invert made me nauseous.

MaddenNFL64

Culex said:
I can't play unless the controls are inverted. I've been hardwired that way :(

Same :p.

It's not like i've played a whole lot of airplane games or anything either. I don't know why i'm 'hardwired' as you say to play with the controls inverted.

Keio

For a Finer World
I got cured of playing "inverted" with Operation Flashpoint.

In that game you actually control a crosshair which is NOT fixed like in most fps games. So you would first move the crosshair off the center and only after a while the viewpoint would tilt to follow the crosshair.

I just couldn't do that with invert on.

After completing the single player campaign and going back to Unreal Tournament I had to switch to default there too - and in every fps since.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Default for both. Invert only makes sense with flight sims.

I remember once, when one of my friends and I played Halo for the first time, I was stunned to learn that he was an inverter. For some reason, he was under the impression that PC FPS games used this scheme as a default. One fire-up of Quake 3 solved that argument.

Inverted for both PC and console.

I really wonder how people get used to one or the other. I mean, I don't remember purposely learning inverted controls and I largely didn't use a mouse for gaming until I bought Unreal so many years ago (Played X-wing/Tie Fighter with a gamepad). Unreal must have been inverted as a default control method or something. *scratches head*

Makes it hard passing a controller to a friend when you like inverted and he likes default.

Top Bottom